All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

34 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Played a few mins of Starfield and got bored. Not sure what to think yet but the beginning feels like sky rim npc’s with a rip off of mass effect exploration and space combat from ps1 days of Colony Wars. 

Yeah, it's basically Skyrim... IN SPAAAAAAAACE.

I hit 53 hours on Starfield on Series X myself, loving it, exactly what I wanted and expected, a Bethesda game in space. That said I think they oversold the game tremendously, it's not the second coming, it isn't breaking any molds, it's literally just another Bethesda game, in space. The engine is certainly still showing it's age, but the NPCs look better then ever, combat is the best it's even been in a Bethesda game, the main quest is slow to start but gets fantastic, side quests are really good overall, especially faction quests, it's a great game so far and I've barely scratched the surface. I spent 1.5 hours one night in the ship builder alone, it's pretty awesome, I made a beast of a ship already, named it the Rocinante, of course, and it's black and red. 

Well, I finished Baldur's Gate 3.  I very much enjoyed it, and I'm sure I'll play it again to see how some of other choices could have panned out.  As of right now I'd call it my GOTY, beating out Jedi Survivor and Tears of the Kingdom, but the year's definitely not over.

Finishing BG3 allowed me to start on Starfield.  I'm not super far into it, having completed the first main quest, joined Constellation, and hit level 3, but *spoilers* it runs on my PC just fine at 1440p and a mix of high/ultra settings (Windows 11, i7900K, 32GB of RAM, RTX 4070). 

Az described it as "Skyrim in space," but I'd say the skill trees and the various weapons types and ammo really make me think "Fallout in space" is a bit more accurate (but I'm arguably splitting hairs with that one).  But "Fallout in Space" begs another comparison, that being The Outer Worlds.  Been awhile since I played that one, but from what I remember I'd say that Starfield is definitely more of a Bethesda RPG, for better or worse.  Starfield seems a lot bigger, and I'm assuming there's more to screw around with while ignoring the main plot based on the fact that I picked up over half a dozen side quests, but The Outer Worlds definitely benefitted from a sharper focus and better writing.

FYI, in case anyone hasn't heard the news from the Xbox leaks in the FTC vs Microsoft case

https://www.wired.com/story/ftc-microsoft-leaks-xbox/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/19/23880165/xbox-leak-ftc-documents-new-xbox-series-x-controller-next-gen

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mid-gen-xbox-roadmap-hardware-leak-series-s-x-refreshes-digital-only-2tb-series-x-at-499-controller-with-haptics-and-quieter-buttons-at-69-99.765920/

There's a huge trove of news coming out of those documents from the Xbox roadmap, mid-generation hardware refreshes, in-development games, a wishful want to buyout Nintendo and Valve. 

1 hour ago, azrael said:

a wishful want to buyout Nintendo 

I heard they tried to also buy them back when they first launched the Xbone, when they went to Japan to talk to them, it was just over an hour long meeting of Nintendo VP's laughing at them, constantly the whole time. basically laughed them right out of the room.:D

7 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I heard they tried to also buy them back when they first launched the Xbone, when they went to Japan to talk to them, it was just over an hour long meeting of Nintendo VP's laughing at them, constantly the whole time. basically laughed them right out of the room.:D

I mean, from Nintendo's POV, with their financial reserves and corporate culture, I get why they would find such a merger/acquisition, especially with an American company, completely out of the question.  You have to admit, though, that it made (and honestly, still makes) a ton of sense from Microsoft's position.  They were coming off the 360, which was quite popular everywhere except Japan.  Meanwhile while the Wii sold gangbusters the Wii U was struggling, and at least some of the perception was because Nintendo was focused on gimmicky, underpowered hardware.  If Microsoft bought Nintendo, or they merged, the result would be a library of strong 1st party titles on Microsoft's hardware, hardware that would have better parity with Sony's, and hardware that could be marketed as a Nintendo console and potentially finally allow Microsoft to crack the Japanese market.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I mean, from Nintendo's POV, with their financial reserves and corporate culture, I get why they would find such a merger/acquisition, especially with an American company, completely out of the question.  You have to admit, though, that it made (and honestly, still makes) a ton of sense from Microsoft's position.  They were coming off the 360, which was quite popular everywhere except Japan.  Meanwhile while the Wii sold gangbusters the Wii U was struggling, and at least some of the perception was because Nintendo was focused on gimmicky, underpowered hardware.  If Microsoft bought Nintendo, or they merged, the result would be a library of strong 1st party titles on Microsoft's hardware, hardware that would have better parity with Sony's, and hardware that could be marketed as a Nintendo console and potentially finally allow Microsoft to crack the Japanese market.

I feel like a merger would reduce Nintendo to a software company or worse an IP provider for Microsoft hardware.

From a hardware perspective Nintendo would be getting a powerful technology stack for sure. However, we would probably lose the quirkiness of the Nintendo hardware and Nintendo games would just run on a glorified PC box in the living room. I assume mobile gaming and customer proliferation wouldn’t be at the point it is today if it wasn’t for the Switch and WII respectively.

From my perspective we live in an age were hardware plays less and less of a role for games. What matters is the quality of the gameplay. Some Nintendo titles like TotK would certainly benefit from beefier hardware but overall it seems less of a factor at the moment.

Keep in mind I don’t own a gaming PC or current consoles at the moment besides the Switch and I’m currently playing Warhammer 40k Boltgun and F-Zero 99.

Edited by Scyla

13 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Which is fine as competition is good and keeps M$ on their toes. Now, imagine if EA bought Nintendo...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to Rogue City.  The Terminator game they made, while nothing amazing mechanically, was a good budget game made by people who clearly care about the IP (probably more than the people who made the last couple of movies).

Yeah the Terminator game was great, the "Infiltrator" mode, which was added for free and let you play as an actual Terminator, was pretty awesome. Robocop looks fun enough, nothing remarkable, but it's Robocop, there's not a ton you can do besides get the shooting and action right. Looks appropriately gory and over the top, I'm definitely in. 

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

It might be fun if they throw in a mode where you play a thug trying to get away from Robocop. It would almost be like a horror game since he’s practically unstoppable 

You make Robocop sound like the Terminator.

He can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with, and he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are in handcuffs.

3 hours ago, Big s said:

It might be fun if they throw in a mode where you play a thug trying to get away from Robocop. It would almost be like a horror game since he’s practically unstoppable 

I'd buy that for a dollar.

On 9/26/2023 at 6:23 AM, TangledThorns said:

Big update for Cyberperpunk 2077 (finally!) this week and started a new game. It looks, plays and feels like it should have been originally.

I came back to Cyberpunk last wekk,  a copule years after the orginal relase...

So much better than I remember, and the DLC its awesome too

Edited by mog_kupo