The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

21 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

What even is going on there?  Massive production snafu?  Or maybe worth picking up as a collector oddity?

I'm 99% certain that someone bought up all the Toxitron figures, bought a bunch of shelfwarmers (maybe on clearance?), took the Toxitron figures out of their boxes, stuffed the shelfwarmers into those boxes, then returned them to Walmart, either keeping the Toxitron figures or (more likely) scalping them sans boxes.  In addition to the Crosscuts in Dead End, Sideswipe, and Jazz boxes there was a Laser Cycle box with Legacy Prowl in it and a Mirage box with a Legacy Crankcase.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

What even is going on there?

It's shoplifting, pure and simple.  Any of us can take advantage of inconsistent distribution, lenient return policies, and ignorant and apathetic staff, and profit off our crimes on the secondary market.  The only thing stopping us is our (rapidly-eroding) sense of morality. 🤕

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, that's insanely depressing to see.. but I guess it's too much to expect a store with such lenient return policies to bother to check whether the thing returned is the same as what was purchased. <_< 

At least to check before they restock it vs throw it in the trash.

085F5F92-D4AD-455A-841F-A49082A35619.jpeg.2fd1c92d6e6571dbba7b4c00c163154e.jpeg

Missing Link C-01 Optimus Prime with Trailer (Toy Version) 17830 JPY.

06A3B3C9-8DFA-42DE-AADE-B4442B15B8E4.jpeg.badc5785abc7473b81f49df84003be99.jpeg

Missing Link C-02 Optimus Prime (Anime Version) 10780 JPY.

Too bad there won't be a G1 gun Megatron.

Edited by sh9000

I might not have been having the best of luck at Walmart, but I've been getting packages like crazy this week from other retailers.  Hot on the heels of Beachcomber we've got another G1 minibot-turned-Deluxe, Studio Series 86 Brawn!

PXL_20230803_222525611.jpg.e5b0c3d8867d3cb8dcd159214884cff7.jpg

This being a Studio Series figure, Brawn's going for cartoon accuracy first and foremost... sorry, JB0, maybe Hasbro will make a Gen Selects version later with a toy-style visor, mouth plate, and claws.  This guy's got the grumpy face with the Juggernaut helmet, the silver forearms (with hands), etc you'd expect, and even a bit of silver around the knees.  The engineers at Hasbro even figured out how to do the Season 1 Sunbow thing where the animators would just ignore the fact that the toys have wheels when they were coming up with the animation models.  I do have some gripes, though.  The animation model had a design on his waist, based on the cartoon sticker, with a gray chevron under his his waist, also kind of based on the G1 toy.  You can see how Power of the Primes Brawn tried to replicate that.  But for some reason SS86 Brawn just leaves a hinge showing on his belt, figuring that's close enough to the sticker, and doesn't even bother replicating the chevron.

PXL_20230803_222734442.jpg.d833c26c6bfe2be0cb400ec368a151a7.jpg

I guess it's to be expected, but they also having him one heck of a honkin' backpack.  I don't think backpacks are the end the world, especially on a Deluxe, but in Brawn's case it kind of looks like it should be able to collapse more than it actually can, which makes him look a little dumpy to me.

PXL_20230803_222759283.jpg.7a424e744e89d30cdc8443718036184e.jpg

Brawn comes with two accessories... except really one.  He has a gun.  Sure, he also has his spare tire, but the tire is already on his back out of the box, and it never actually needs to be removed for anything.

PXL_20230803_222841076.jpg.927dbbaffdfa2b25fe7f3b34a15fdf45.jpg

Brawn's head can swivel, no tilt.  His shoulders are ball joints, which aren't my favorite but he's got the full 360 degrees of rotation and 90 degrees of lateral movement no matter how his arm is positioned, which is becoming a luxury.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows bend around 160 degrees.  No wrist swivels, but he does have a waist swivel.  His hips go 90 degrees forward and a little over that laterally, but his backpack limits his backward movement to a little under 45 degrees.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend just a hair under 90 degrees.  The front of his feet can tilt down, mostly due to transformation.  You can sort of tilt them up, but you can see a ridge that's meant to prevent that and you'll probably pop his toes off the hinge.  His ankles have a full 90 degrees of pivot.

This being a Studio Series figure and not a mainline means that Brawn's not awash in 5mm ports.  He can hold his gun in either hand, and as I mentioned his spare tire is plugged into one on his backpack.  There's also one under each heel, and that's really it.  There's nothing on his shoulders or forearms, he can't use his spare tire as a shield or anything.

PXL_20230803_223221574.jpg.a87b44d25920888fdb81dca559243209.jpg

I've heard some people wonder just how aware Hasbro is of different unlicensed third-party toys.  Well... Brawn's transformation is an awful lot like a simplified take on Fans Toy's Hunk, their MP-esque Brawn.  There's less panels to unfold, but the backpack shifts off the same way.  His arms are on armatures that shift them down before folding them back under his backpack, just like Hunk.  And his lower legs split in half to form the sides of the truck, like Hunk.  The only difference is that Hunk shifts his legs so his knees are at the sides, and the lower leg splits all the way through the foot and splays outward, whereas SS86 Brawn's legs spit more like Siege Hound, with his foot in the middle and the inside of his leg folding down around it.

PXL_20230803_223232109.jpg.7e2a9e98a72a5a8c44dd4b98e190e13b.jpg

On the whole, I'd say the transformation is pretty effective.  His grill is a little busier than the animation model, but it's got the silver color and basic shape, with the bit of yellow bumper.  The silver on his knees is, unfortunately, on the front of his fenders, but the fenders themselves have the right shape and stick out appropriately from the body.  He's got the Autobot insignia on the hood and the molded in market lights and roof racks  His doors look like a pile of hinges, but hey, the rims are painted.  As are the windows... except the back one.  Without going back and watching the G1 cartoon, it could be that his rear window wasn't colored in the cartoon, but it could also be that Brawn ran out of budget for paint.

PXL_20230803_223313162.jpg.cfc026fa7ce0de2e3bfffb535c5cfa22.jpg

In alt mode, the only 5mm port available is on the roof, and you probably left his spare tire there.  But that's ok!  The tire itself has a 5mm port (just like the G1 toy has a hole on the spare tire!), and you can nestle the gun into it (blast effect not included).  I guess the turret look is ok, but I do wish they'd found a way to hide his gun in alt mode.  There's a lot of space under and between his legs on the underside of the truck, for instance.

As I've noted throughout, I do have some complaints with Brawn, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that this is a Deluxe-class toy, not a Masterpiece.  I'm also cognizant of the fact that, despite being one of the more prominently-featured characters in the first season, we haven't exactly had a ton of options for Brawn.  Unlike Beachcomber, whose PotP Legends-class figure was good enough that you almost don't need the new Legacy figure, Brawn's previous figure has a weirdly long torso, massive shoulder wheels, and fists so big you'd think he's wearing Hulk Hands.  While not perfect, SS86 Brawn is a great upgrade that should please most of you old geewunners, and I'll give him a solid recommend.

Now... looking at my shelf of G1 minibots, looks like we're down to Gears, Windcharger, Seaspray, Powerglide, Outback, Swerve, and Tailgate.  And I can only assume that Outback from this mold is inevitable.

16 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

sorry, JB0, maybe Hasbro will make a Gen Selects version later with a toy-style visor, mouth plate, and claws.  

One day I shall rule the toy brand!

Also, is original toy Brawn just sporting a Cylon head?

Sticking with Studio Series, but moving from '86 to Rise of the Beasts, we've got the Target-exclusive Optimus Prime.

PXL_20230803_231016978.jpg.09031854cfdcd75feeb9c27ba34321c7.jpg

Well... he's taller than the mainline figure, which puts him back at roughly the same size as the other Studio Series Primes.  That's a good start!  But as is often the case with the movie Studio Series figures, he's got a few issues.  He's a actually a very heavy retool of Bumblebee Optimus, but you can hardly tell.  Almost every part is new, and at a glance I think his proportions, especially the more organic shape of the legs, is more movie-accurate than the mainline figure.  But, as is all too often the case, the colors are off, mainly due to a lack of paint.  They yellow on his pelvis should be black or gunmetal, and various mechanical details are molded onto his arms and the insides of his legs but left unpainted.  He's got the boxes on hte sides of his knees the mainline figure was missing, but they should be silver-ish, not blue.  They put some silver over his knees, but they didn't paint the circles inside.  His toes should be silver.

PXL_20230803_231034664.jpg.9905417901a431efd6abc8c10f5adc74.jpg

His smokestacks are pointed out to the sides instead of backward, and the flaps on them should be toward the front of his shoulders, not the back.  He's got unnecessary flaps on top of his shoulders, a legacy from the previous toy that doesn't really apply here.  His back is plain red, lacking some of the silver seen in the CGI, and there's a bit of kibble on the backs of his forearms, but it's actually an improvement from the Bumblebee toy.  Minor gripes aside, I definitely think this Prime looks good.

PXL_20230803_231143370.jpg.3820d2d6b2815cb65b2969ff45fdaf8a.jpg

His accessories are kind of just... ok.  He's got a sword, as seen in the film.  The sculpt is fine, and it's painted, which is nice, although it's missing the orange edges.  And he's got his blaster... well, he's got a little of his blaster.

PXL_20230803_231706981.jpg.8e6ce794a6d931bf0017604a7450022d.jpg

Prime's head is on a ball joint, with plenty of upward tilt and a bit of sideways tilt, but nothing really down.  His shoulders rotate, but we have to put Prime in that growing pile of figures that have lateral movement on the wrong side of the rotation.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows are double jointed so you can get 150-ish degrees of bend.  His wrists swivel, as does his waist.  And, unusually for a mainline figure, Prime's sporting an ab crunch.  His hip skirts don't move, but his hip joints are designed so that the swivel point is actually in front of his leg, shifting it downward under the hip skirt as you rotate it.  This gives him around 120 degrees of forward hip movement, but almost none backward.  Laterally, his hip skirts do move and he can get about 75 degrees of lateral movement.  His thighs swivel, but only about 45 degrees out.  His knees bend a little over 90 degrees.  Dedicated hinges give him nearly 90 degrees of ankle pivot, and the foot itself is actually on a ball joint, giving him ankle swivels and a small amount of up/down tilt.

If you fold Prime's fists in as you would for transformation, the other side has a peg that you can plug his blaster into.  It kind of replicates the arm cannon he had in the movies... except that more of his arm transformed, so this would just be the tip.  And it's kind of small.  As for the sword, there's a small peg on the handle that plugs into a hole near either wrist.

PXL_20230803_231440101.jpg.7f853008b9c7513d495a38c558499ec0.jpg

Alternatively, he can hold the sword in either hand using the handle, or a 5mm peg on one side can plug into a 5mm port on the outside of his forearm.  The same peg can be used to store the sword in one of the four 5mm ports on his back, while the blaster has a tab on one side that can also fit into a 5mm port.

PXL_20230803_225340396.jpg.1e668be8744422fd07327c8ff3c269e3.jpg

Prime's chest opens up, his backpack comes off on an armature, his upper torso spins 180 degrees, his arms tuck behind with the kibble on his arms becoming much of the sides of the cab, and the backpack folds over and comes back together to make up much of the front of the cab.  That's about the end of the similarities between Bumblebee Prime and this guy.  The cab's actually a bit smaller, but pretty screen accurate from the front.  I wish the flaps that filled in the top of the cab were red.

PXL_20230803_225434140.jpg.6930543c73c8ce4f0d215114618fde62.jpg

Things are much, much worse from behind, though.  Kind of like Bumblebee Prime, SS ROTB Prime's shins fold toward the back of the cab and his feet tuck in between his legs.  But see, on Bumblebee Prime bits from the inside of his legs transformed some kind of plating on the back of the cab, and his feet managed to produce a hitch.  On ROTB Prime, though, his shins just look like kibble on the back of the cab, and the insides of his legs do nothing but stick out like eyesore, making the kibble even worse.  You don't get a hitch either, making this one of the few modern Primes that can't pull a trailer.  Oh, and those flaps on the smokestacks move around to give Prime's shins something to plug into, but that means that they're not on the sides of the cab where they actually belong.

PXL_20230803_225543149.jpg.641c5181c2dfe802e0ef29429dd2e6fe.jpg

Prime can, for the most part, store his weapons.  His sword plugs into a 5mm port on the inside of one of his thighs, and half fills in the gap between his legs half peeks awkwardly out from the kibble forest.  Meanwhile, his blaster uses a tab to fit into a notch on the kibble.  Now, am I the only one seeing a missed opportunity here?  Like, why couldn't the blaster fit between his legs somehow?  Then the blaster could have become the trailer hitch.

Studio Series Rise of the Beasts Optimus Prime is a really mixed hand.  I think he looks really good in robot mode, and if all you want was a good-looking robot to put on a shelf with other ROTB figures he's much better looking than the mainline figure.  Some of the design decisions are "how did this get out of the design phase?!" bad, though.  The shoulder articulation is frustrating, and the truck looks bad from any angle but the front, and it's mind-boggling because it would have been simpler and used fewer parts to simply not have the legs transform at all, just tab them together and have them stick straight out the back, and it actually would have looked better that way.  Not a realistic or screen-accurate back of the truck, mind you, but not random shards of kibble half the size of the cab.  End of the day, it's close, but I don't think I can actually recommend this figure.

When Hasbro first revealed Studio Series Rhinox I was a bit skeptical.  I mean, the mainline figure was pretty good, but to be fair, I hadn't actually seen Rhinox's robot mode yet.  Now that I have, is the Studio Series toy an improvement?

PXL_20230804_192043284.jpg.60b38912e3b6714b0fa4b948342a665f.jpg

Well, I suppose the colors are more accurate.  The film has him more like Dark of the Moon Megatron, a sort of dark silvery metal with smudges of tan dirt, where the mainline toyu when for tan with silver accents.  The mainline toy has similar molded details in the legs, but they're more pronounced and have a more accurate shape on the Studio Series toy.  They have similar shoulders, but only the mainline toy has molded chains.  The layered look of the forearms is better on the Studio Series toy, and neither really got the right inner mechanical details.  When the Studio Series figure really shines, though, is the torso.  The mainline figure is disproportionately tiny.  Studio Series Rhinox has a much more accurate torso, although his chest could stand to be a bit wider.

PXL_20230804_192102892.jpg.0e1956797348f6a6ec46dbd2f165bb87.jpg

The biggest difference, though, is seen from behind.  The mainline figure goes for a Beast Wars/Kingdom approach and has the rhino head (and much of the back) hanging off him in a big backpack, and his calves are pretty much just folded up rhino butt and legs.  The Studio Series toy impressively keeps his back and calves remarkably clean.  I do, however, wish they'd found a wait to fold up his tail better.  Maybe against his back, like the spine on the CGI model.  And unlike the mainline toy, he's got the two spikes on his back behind his head.

PXL_20230804_192536420.jpg.dc55bea2e36113e1b30e4d065ea0e813.jpg

Studio Series Rhinox trades in the Beast Wars gatling gun for a hammer which... maybe he used in the movie?  Did he even transform out of beast mode in the movie?  I can't recall.

PXL_20230804_192616962.jpg.07adfa14fc13a2707f8730659f1f3c7f.jpg

OK, articulation, compared directly with the mainline toy... his head is on a ball joint, so in addition to swiveling he's got a small amount of up and sideways tilt (better).  His shoulders rotate (same), and the shoulder pads move out of the way to get him 90 degrees of lateral movement (worse).  His biceps swivel and his elbows bend 90 degrees (same), but this time he's also got a wrist swivel (better).  His waist swivels (same).  His hips got forward 120 degrees (better), backward 90 (same-ish), and laterally 90 (worse).  His thighs swivel, but the range is a bit limited (worse), and his knees bend 90 degrees (same).  His feet tilt down, but not really up (better), and have 90 degrees of ankle pivot (better).

Rhinox's hammer slides into either fist, but the grip is loose until you get to a certain point about two thirds of the way up the shaft.  For storage you can fold the handle back to reveal a 5mm peg, and that peg fits into a port on his back.

One thing to note, due to the shape of the knuckle spikes on his hands vs. the mainline figure, Studio Series Rhinox cannot hold mainline Rhinox's guns.  I don't really consider this to be a problem because A) I think most collectors probably just want one Rhinox or the other, B) Rhinox didn't use guns in the movie (that I recall), and C) Rhinox can wield Battlemaster Rhinox.  A robot that turns into a rhino armed with a gatling gun that turns into a smaller version of the same rhino is all I ever needed.

PXL_20230804_193117088.jpg.07bdce18b6ba73341ae8f2f2245e3716.jpg

Mainline Rhinox has a pretty simple transformation, and the result is a fairly immobile rhino that can open its jaws, swivel and move laterally at  the shoulders, and wiggle forward and backward at the rear knees.  The resulting shape is a little rectangular, but I suppose it's fairly rhino-esque.  Studio Series Rhinox has a much more involved transformation that, I think, attempts to give him a more rounded, organic shape.  PXL_20230804_193126038.jpg.65deb390b9833b64546d76c48ead2748.jpg

Again, the gray color seems to be more film accurate, as is the darker patches around his eyes on the sides of his face, and his back has more of the segmented plates that he had in the film.  His back doesn't have quit the same flat rhino butt that the mainline toy has, though.  And his underside is a bit weird.  His robot chest shifts down to fill in his rhino tummy, which is fine, but...

PXL_20230804_193150850.jpg.0c495a665bfbc1f0484d127415086852.jpg

...it leaves a weird void in the rhino's chest.  I mean, if you look carefully, his rhino neck just sort of ends.  I guess Hasbro figured that from a lot of angles his head and arms kind of hide the lack of chest, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

PXL_20230804_193221324.jpg.4df58d68f78fce4da53feaf8928d6449.jpg

His articulation isn't much improved, either.  His rear legs still wiggle at the knees.  He looses 90 percent of his shoulder rotation, but he still retains some lateral movement, plus his front knees can bend backward.  His back feet are his robot feet, and retain their downward tilt and ankle pivots, plus his front paws are on ball joints with swivels and a little bit of up/down tilt and ankle pivot.  His jaw still opens, but he's got a little neck articulation now.  See, his head can tilt upward, revealing more mechanical detail in the neck.  Plus his tail can bend up.

You can store his hammer the same way you do in bot mode, by folding in the handle/folding out a 5mm peg and plugging it onto his back.  It's too bad the handle couldn't fold up more, then the hammer could have store in/transformed into Rhinox's chest.

So, yeah, I'd say all-in-all Studio Series Rhinox is a definitely improvement over the mainline ROTB figure.  If you're doing a ROTB collection and haven't picked up a Rhinox, this is definitely the one to get.  You might even say that I recommend him.  Is he a necessary upgrade if you already picked up the previous figure?  That's a bit more debatable.  Maybe not, if you're just going to have him in rhino mode, especially with the Studio Series' gaping void of a chest.  But the added neck articulation is a nice get, and the robot mode is definitely more accurate all-around, so for me the answer is still yes.

I was at a local con yesterday, blazing 110 degrees of fun :D ....sarcasm. I was really surprised on the number of venders out there selling nothing but TF figures, man I came across so many Omega Supremes it made me go "Yep, that's where they all went." 1 was loose for 300, the others were all boxed for over 400. I did find some old G1 figures still in boxes, most were reissues, but a decent amount of originals.....course expensive 200-500 a box. I DID come across something that made me do a double take. One of the vendors had an MP Ultra Magnus in box and I saw a small tag listing it for 124.99. Went over to the guy running it and asked him about the figure. As it turns out it was a used figure came with everything minus the instructions...........for 124.99! thinking to myself wow a 150 off cause it doesn't have instructions? that's odd!
But sign me up, I bought it, took him home, everyone was telling me, "Aw man you probably got scammed, I bet its missing pieces or floppy mess!" Once I opened the box and took a look I thought he might had been missing his normal face plate, but nope it was there tucked away. He really was in good shape and came with everything. Super easy to transform to boot. So he's going into the shelf where he shall remain relatively dust free. Yay me!

One last truly new Studio Series figure... it's Studio Series Gamer Edition Voyager-class Megatron.

PXL_20230804_194449231.jpg.2efdc0bafba386639ee80aa1f94fd383.jpg

I don't know how much time you guys spend on certain other boards, or watch certain YouTube reviews, or what... but this guy is getting absolutely savaged by parts of the fandom.  Now, this is the part where I usually talk about the aesthetics of the robot, but I'm feeling compelled to address some of the complaints I've heard.  So, we'll start with one of the big ones I've heard- that the figure is based off concept art, not the in-game model.  But, you know what I see the main differences between the concept art and the in-game model are?  The concept art is a little lankier, the in-game model a little dirtier.  The concept art has gray/silver on top of his left shoulder and a stripe breaking up the red on his forearm, the in-game model has black on top of his shoulder running with a stripe on the bicep and none on the forearm.  That's honestly about it.  And if we're talking about inaccuracies, I might also point out that the spikes on the toy's knees are black/dark gray instead of light gray, he's missing some black on some of the molded details on his right shoulder, and that the toy has some kibble on the sides of his legs that aren't on either the concept art or the in-game model.  And while these are perhaps fair criticisms, they're often levied by people suggesting that the old Generations Deluxe-class toy is somehow superior.  Are we simply going to ignore the less-accurate feet, less-accurate forearms, less accurate right shoulder, softer details, and massive shin cutouts?

PXL_20230804_194501845.jpg.ac0328ee6a8fdf8fbfb5ebe0437e8aef.jpg

"Well, the Deluxe's back is more accurate!"  Yeah, kudos to Hasbro for trying the replicate that detail, especially since you spend a lot of time looking at the backs of the characters you play as in the game.  But... a more accurate back, for less accurate backs of the arms and hollow calves.  We gotta pick and choose our battles, you know?

PXL_20230804_194539410.jpg.ea4b50854cd12a8b5c30102809c2d2e8.jpg

Another complaint I'm hearing pretty often is about the size.  "He's so small!" people say.  How can a figure that's only a head taller than the older figure be a Voyager when that figure was a Deluxe?  Again, I think there's some merit to this point, in that Gamer Edition Megatron is smaller than Siege or Earthrise Megatron.  But the Studio Series figures don't necessarily have to be in scale with Siege or Earthrise, only other Gamer Edition figures.  And it turns out that Megatron is, to the top of the head, very close, maybe even slightly taller, than Gamer Edition Optimus Prime.  What's more, if you compare the older Deluxe Megatron to some contemporary Generations figures, you'll quickly realize that it was pretty tall for a Deluxe.

And, as Hasbro likes to remind us, class isn't about size anymore, it's about parts count and complexity.  Now, I'm not going to count every part in both figures, but I can weigh them to get a sense of how much plastic is in them.  With all of their accessories, Gamer Edition Megatron is around 132g.  The older Deluxe is 112g.  I'm no math expert, but I think that's around a 23% increase.  That being said, for those that are complaining that Megatron seems too thin when Prime is so yoked, yeah.  Prime and his accessories clock in at 180g.  The simple reality is that it's not really as simple as saying that a figure is a Voyager, so it gets X budget.  It's more like you have X budget for Y figures, so maybe you cut a few corners on one to spend a little extra on another.  I'm not saying this to defend this figure or Hasbro's business practices, I'm just saying that there's probably a reason Prime came out so good and in the first wave of Gamer Edition figures, but Megatron's a little anemic when he comes in late.

PXL_20230804_194633365.jpg.2aee3b64678df8af53e214853f1913c4.jpg

Next complaint up to be addressed: the accessories.  Megatron comes with his fusion cannon, as well as his mace.  Well, I don't know that a lot of people are complaining too much about the mace- it's a weapon Megatron used in the game that the earlier figure didn't have.  The complaints are mostly about the little, round fusion cannon.  The original toy's cannon was so much bigger and more detailed!  Except, well, the original toy's cannon isn't actually all that accurate.  The new cannon is more appropriately-sized, and while it's missing a red plate and probably could have used a little purple paint to bring out some of the molded details.  And, subjectively speaking, the older toy's cannon is probably more visually interesting.  But objectively this one is close to what you actually see in the game.

PXL_20230804_194734593.jpg.b215dbc498049797cb11e3cded189a90.jpg

Speaking of the game, when you actually play it as Megatron his canon isn't on his arm, like the G1 cartoon.  His arm transforms into the cannon, the same as the other characters' arms transform into their guns.  So, like the other figures in the line, Megatron's right forearm comes off, and the cannon can plug into the 5mm port that is his stump.  His mace can fit into either fist, although he can only grip it at the base.

PXL_20230804_194904408.jpg.e8c06a4be50fdd49a798e0d901daf4c3.jpg

Megatron did wear his cannon on his arm during cutscenes, though, and a peg under the cannon does allow you to plug the cannon onto a 5mm port on his right forearm.  Another 5mm port on his back allows you to store his mace.

Hold on, I'm getting ahead of myself.  We need to talk articulation!  Megatron's head is on a ball joint, but the shape of his head doesn't allow for much tilt- but that's not worse than the original.  His shoulders swivel and move laterally 90 degrees, which is a huge improvement over the 30-ish degrees the older Deluxe could manage.  His biceps swivel (same), and his elbows are double-jointed and get about 180 degrees of bend (the older figure could bend his elbows, but the bend was above the bicep swivel).  He's got wrist swivels and a waist swivel, both of which were omitted from the original.  His hips can go forward and backward something like 160 degrees, similar to the original.  They move laterally over 90 degrees, which is a little more than the original could do.  Both figures have thigh swivels, a little up/down foot tilt, and small but present ankle pivots.  So, in most areas the new figure has the same or better articulation than the old.

PXL_20230804_194946810.jpg.237f459e1f32cbb21cbe5ec2148b0ea1.jpg

Most... but not all, and it's time to address the number one single biggest flaw with Gamer Edition Megatron.  He has almost no knee articulation.  Basically, if you look at the backs of his knee joints, there's this hooked protrusion.  Just a little bend causes it to collide with the material in his calves, hence the comically limited range.  What's weird is that if you look at the instructions the drawings seem to show a much smaller protrusion that hooks in the opposite direction- perhaps somewhere between the design and cutting the steel molds something got messed up.  Knowing Hasbro, they were probably even aware of the issue, but given their propensity to use pins when a screw would do were probably unwilling to investing in fixing it before production or making replacement parts. 

I'm questioning why that protrusion needs to be there at all, though.  It doesn't seem to hook into anything or lock anything in place for alt mode.  I've heard a few people report that they cut the protrusions off and it improved his knee articulation while leaving alt mode unaffected.

PXL_20230804_195935548.jpg.bfeee7e7a0db0f3ce0c76a0aa362c60c.jpg

Remember a few paragraphs back, I said one of the things that makes a Voyager, well, a not a Deluxe is the complexity of the figure?  Yeah, the new figure is definitely more complex.  The old figure sort of scrunched up with his cannon on his back and his legs bent over at the knees.  A lot of the top of the tank is just the soles of his feet!  The new figure feels like it's transforming- his chest moves, and his left arm curls up into the space it vacated while his right arm folds onto his back.  His legs do still bend at the knees, but first his calves unfurl and the whole thing wraps around the sides, not the top.

PXL_20230804_195950711.jpg.57bdf7215409218fde1c3bcc490dd67c.jpg

But which is actually more accurate?  Well, this one's a bit closer.  For one, neither has the spikes at the back quite right.  The older figure has some red stripes that were seen in game, but not in the concept art.  The older figure did a bit better recreating the way the light parts sloped up to the cannon, and the rear of the cannon is more accurate (at the expense of being less so in robot mode).  The shape of the newer figure overall seems a bit better, and more cohesive- even back in the day it kind of bugged me how Megatron's back just folded over and laid there, not tabbed anything, on the old Deluxe toy.  The Deluxe did have a gimmick where you could fold the arms out to the sides and they became tank treads... but he didn't have tank treads in the game.  He hovered, and while you can leave the arms under and say that they're the hover jets the hover jets are sculpted at better angles and have visible nozzles.  End of the day, I do think think Megatron's alt mode came out a little better on the Studio Series toy.

PXL_20230804_200059239.jpg.5455fcf159756487736eb298a8f4aebb.jpg

Megatron doesn't do much in tank mode, though.  His arm actually locks in place in two places, so his turret lacks the ability to rotate and the barrel cannot change its elevation.  In fairness, though, this is true in the game as well.  Megatron can at least carry his mace while he's in alt mode, but using the 5mm peg you plugged into his back for robot mode, but into the one on his arm/the back of the turret in tank mode.

So there it is.  I wonder if a lot of the people complaining even have the figure, or if they were just looking at pictures and remembering the old Deluxe more fondly than it deserves?  Yeah, I wish the Studio Series version were a bit bigger- although height to the head is actually accurate compared to Prime he seems too skinny to actually fight him.  Still bigger than the older figure.  You might think that the Deluxe figure looks better, subjectively, but the new one is objectively more accurate.  For the most part, the new figure has better articulation, and I'd argue a better transformation.  The knees are the worst thing about the Studio Series figure, something that should have been corrected early in the design phase.  But it seems like a fixable issue, if you don't mind cutting your figure (not that you should have to!).  I'm not saying that Megatron is perfect, or even a great figure.  Prime's been the best figure in what's turning out to be an honestly iffy sub-line, no doubt.  But, and maybe this is an unpopular opinion, I think the Studio Series figure absolutely destroys the old Deluxe figure.  If you want a figure of Megatron from the War for Cybertron game, this is the one to get.  Recommend.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Yeah, I wish the Studio Series version were a bit bigger- although height to the head is actually accurate compared to Prime he seems too skinny to actually fight him. 

My recollection is he looked kinda skinny in the game, too. But his animation and voice gave him Megatron's presence. And the new toy manages to look less skiny than the old one, which has a pretty tiny waist.

I'll probably pick this one up if I see it on a shelf, but that's a pretty big if. Better than the rest, though. There wasn't anything necessarily WRONG with the rest, their designs just aren't particularly interesting to me, and the gun-arm gimmick isn't well-implemented(though I appreciate the attempt).

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

TakaraTomy Transformers Missing Link C-01 CONVOY
February 2024 Release
Y15800

tt240201.jpg

tt240202.jpg

tt240203.jpg

tt240204.jpg

tt240205.jpg

tt240206.jpg

tt240207.jpg

tt240208.jpg

tt240209.jpg

tt240210.jpg

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

TakaraTomy Transformers Missing Link C-02 CONVOY (Anime Edition)
February 2024 Release

FIGURE-157938.jpg

FIGURE-157938_01.jpg

FIGURE-157938_02.jpg

FIGURE-157938_03.jpg

FIGURE-157938_04.jpg

FIGURE-157938_05.jpg

FIGURE-157938_06.jpg

FIGURE-157938_07.jpg

We can only imagine Bandai doing the same improvements to the venerable classic 1/55s and then releasing it worldwide like Takara's doing with this...

I was looking at a picture of Armada Megatron from the Legacy Evolution line:

image.jpeg.82af1159500fee78b4755797d171d0eb.jpeg
And I was wondering if Hasbro is planning to release a remold of him as Animated Shockwave:

image.jpeg.ab23edf3395f55c9a363485a4bfd8ae5.jpeg

Don’t know if the could integrate a Longarm Prime mode into it but it would be certainly cool getting another shot at the double agent Shockwave.

25 minutes ago, treatment said:

We can only imagine Bandai doing the same improvements to the venerable classic 1/55s and then releasing it worldwide like Takara's doing with this...

Why not, right? :good: However, a worldwide release with Chunky VF-1's? Not if HG can help it. :spiteful: 

I don't think VF-1's directly from Japan companies are included in the BW/HG agreement. :unsure: 

3 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Why not, right? :good: However, a worldwide release with Chunky VF-1's? Not if HG can help it. :spiteful: 

I don't think VF-1's directly from Japan companies are included in the BW/HG agreement. :unsure: 

Is there actually a big difference between a Takatoku 1/55 and DX Chogokin VF-1 articulation wise?

Honest question. I own none of those two Valkyries but in my mind the Chunky Monkey has a pretty good articulation already.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

Is there actually a big difference between a Takatoku 1/55 and DX Chogokin VF-1 articulation wise?

Honest question. I own none of those two Valkyries but in my mind the Chunky Monkey has a pretty good articulation already.

I don't own a chunky monkey, but from what I've seen on videos and reviews, yes, there's a big difference. I don't mind Bandai does the same thing like Takara's doing on that Missing Link Convoy for the Chunky VF-1. Same Chunky transformation but DX level articulation. :good: 

There's a HUGE difference in articulation from the chunkies to today. Bandai really should have made articulation improvements when they did earlier reissues... At least a knee swivel, back joints at the hips would have also been great. I doubt they would do it now though since it would compete with their own products.

Well, after a couple of new Studio Series figures, how about we wrap up with a big Repaint Roundup?

PXL_20230803_045739099.jpg.34bf95e02e80ca0211f3a7f93050c0a8.jpg

Staying with Studio Series, up first we have Gamer Edition Deluxe-class Cliffjumper (and yes, I know I usually put the new figure on the left, I screwed up on a few, but I think you guys are smart enough to figure it out).  Cliffjumper is the same figure as Bumblebee from the neck down, the only difference is that he has a new head.  Now, GE Bee was a middling sort of figure, and there was some debate about whether or not it was really an upgrade over the original Deluxe.  I suppose that's at least somewhat true for Cliffjumper, but I'll note that GE Cliffjumper has a more Transformers Prime style head, which is accurate to Fall of Cybertron game.  The old WFC Bee was repainted as Cliffjumper, but that toy had a more G1-style head, so at least this figure is an upgrade on accuracy.

PXL_20230803_045753506.jpg.f9bd7a9de4f7990166823e07305e6e59.jpg

Cliffjumper comes with the same sword and pair of guns with the same storage solutions as Bumblebee.

PXL_20230803_051709643.jpg.18fbefcb390e5e47c924791aaff95aa0.jpg

And with the head tucked away, the only difference in alt modes is the color (although I do like red...).  So, if you're all on in on the Gamer Edition and you liked Bee, you should be fine with Cliffjumper.  But on the whole he's kind of mediocre, which is how I'd sum up the whole Gamer Edition subline at this point.

PXL_20230803_041245288.jpg.6baf5e7fcfe948459a163b699640f6f8.jpg

Next up, we have a Target-exclusive two-pack of Ironhide and Prowl.  Prowl is based on the Earthrise release that came in an Amazon-exclusive two-pack with Ironhide during Earthirse.  Unlike that set, this set uses the Studio Series release of Ironhide instead of the Earthrise one.  Both figures come with the same accessories as before (a rifle and lightbar for Prowl, and two pistols for Ironhide), as well as some additional blast effects.

PXL_20230803_042300751.jpg.3b04b0477ae8c9276ffce8407c36c53f.jpg

As I was saying, Ironhide is based on his Studio Series 86 Voyager-class release, but this time he's sporting a new head and chest.  The head has an open mouth, and the chest has a shattered window revealing some mechanical detail underneath.  The mechanical detail has a hole that turns out to be a 5mm port, allowing you to plug in the blast effect.  It also necessitated that the "glass" on the window be painted rather than translucent, so basically all the parts that were translucent on the original release are red plastic with blue paint.  And less red paint and more red plastic means that, for one, the reds are better color matched, and two, budget was freed up to paint the yellow stripe .  No Reprolabels this time!

PXL_20230803_041430743.jpg.a994cfdfb49fb4976f2af5efc41f3bd3.jpg

Like Ironhide, Prowl has a remolded head and chest.  I'm a bit surprised (and pleased) to see that Prowl's new head is more than just an open mouth- I dig the wider cheeks on the "helmet", and his chest doesn't simply have battle damage, they remolded the bumper and painted it gray to be more cartoon-accurate.  Speaking of being more cartoon accurate, they replaced the "Highway Patrol Police" on his door wings with a blue Autobot star, added some gray lines and a red triangle on his pelvis, and gave him gray thighs and a gray midsection to make him more cartoon accurate.  There's also the painted instead of translucent windows, mind you.  While I do love the toy details (especially with Reprolables) on the earlier release, I really like the cartoon accuracy of this new release.  If only it weren't battle damaged I'd probably use this as my main Prowl.  Maybe Prowl will get a more widespread solo release... he does have a Studio Series number (86-20).  Prowl's battle damage uses one of those tiny pegs instead of a 5mm port, but the idea is the same, so you can attach a blast effect.  Too bad he doesn't have the orange smoke for his mouth. 

Anyway, Ironhide and Prowl are both great figures, but you're better off with the original releases as these guys are definitely dead.  I really only recommend this set if it's you missed out on Prowl earlier, or if you want more dead Autobots to display with Alternate Universe Optimus Prime.

PXL_20230803_222349041.jpg.d428715ec19a7674ee0f44f7bbdf7c7b.jpg

Another Target Exclusive is Tow-Line, based on the character from Robots In Disguise 2001.  Tow-Line is a repaint of Junkion Scraphook, with the same accessories and quibbles I had with that figure, just a new head and color scheme.  The new head is bang on!  The problem is that the rest of the figure is not.  RID Tow-Line has a truck cab for a belly.  I mean, if there's one detail you're going to notice about him, that'd be it.

PXL_20230803_221636225.jpg.1d912466eb2b285277effe17c2de0098.jpg

Things do not improve in alt mode, as Tow-Line retains the Mad Max-esque hot-rodded pickup with a tow hook alt mode from Scraphook, which aside from colors bears no real resemblance to RID Tow-Line's tractor cab and car-crusher trailer.  With Hasbro's reluctance to actually revisit the RID 2001 universe this might be the only Tow-Line we get for awhile, but it's still pretty disappointing.  I'd say pass on it.

PXL_20230803_033333966.jpg.9b2e3ed485ec67f0e14c970f709973aa.jpg

We're not done yet!  We have another exclusive, and this one is the Pulse-exclusive from SDCC, War Dawn.  War Dawn is named after the G1 episode "War Dawn," where the the Aerialbots are accidentally sent back in time.  This episode is best remembered as the one where we meet Orion Pax, see him get badly wounded, and rebuilt by Alpha Trion as Optimus Prime, and in the inspiration for last year's "A Hero is Born" set.  But fans of the episode might remember that Orion Pax wasn't the only character the Aerialbots met.  There was also Dion, Pax's friend, and Aerial, his girlfriend (who herself would be rebuilt as Elita-1).

PXL_20230803_033619547.jpg.69122e53f8d50c576773bb6e3601a4a3.jpg

Like Pax, Dion is a remold of Studio Series 86 Kup, and also like Pax he's got a new head, chest, forearms, shins, and some of his backpack.  His robot mode comes across OK... I guess Floro Dery's Kup translates pretty well to the other likely Dery-designed generic Cybertronians that were never meant to have toys.  The remolded chest is accurate, the head is a solid depiction of the animation, and the colors are mostly accurate.  I mean, there are some scenes where his forearms are white/light gray, and his midriff definitely should be.  He's missing the wheels shown in his shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, though, and it would have been better if the new backpack parts angled outward.

PXL_20230803_034213730.jpg.1ad06ac727a52fe267a44cbf200b9b54.jpg

Speaking of his backpack parts, they're actually attached to his slightly-remolded backpack via 5mm ports.  And while Dion comes with the rifle and pack of Energon goodies that Kup and Pax did, his backpack parts can come off and also have 5mm pegs so he can hold them, and little nubs that can be used to attach blast effects.

PXL_20230803_035315648.jpg.7ea061f7329d159538bdb577a7a589ba.jpg

Unfortunately, unlike Pax Dion actually had his alt mode animated, and Kup-ish it isn't.  Still, for a one-off flashback character that was never meant to have a toy, a decently accurate robot with not-very-accurate alt mode is the best we're likely to get.  Certainly a step up from his a original toy, a 2005 e-HOBBY repaint of G1 Wheelie.

PXL_20230803_035603102.jpg.3e839f2da3e5f9fa2823009da75ac659.jpg

Ariel, or "Erial" for copyright reasons, is a retool of Legacy Arcee/Road Rocket/Flamewar.  In bot mode, the only noticeable difference from most angles is the new head, new hands, and the colors, but part of her backpack is also remolded.

PXL_20230803_035839174.jpg.778d6d856bd7493552206d80187b75bb.jpg

To be fair, Ariel's animation model was a pretty generic fembot shape, and this mold more or less had that already.  She's just sporting some bigger arm pads and wheel kibble, plus a backpack she didn't have in the animation.  But she does have a new head with an animation-accurate ponytail.

She still has the wheel accessory that the other versions of this mold do, but unlike those other versions the rest of the bike's front end is pinned and not removable, and she ditchest the crappy translucent shuriken/arm blades for a brand new pistol accessory.  The pistol is molded after one Elita-1 used in a different episode.

PXL_20230803_040837873.jpg.ad82f843d0bced26a62ff6ca04f5c71f.jpg

I mentioned that the front of the bike doesn't come off on Erial.  This is due to those parts being remolded, and while they're not really noticeable they make a big difference in alt mode, giving her a speedier-looking sci-fi sort of bike mode.  And pink, just in time for the Barbie movie.

Kup and Arcee's molds aren't bad, but nor are they my favorites.  If you have the A Hero is Born pack this set complements it nicely and you should consider picking it up.  But I'd say that if you don't have Pax and Alpha Trion you probably don't need Dion and Erial.

PXL_20230808_181624204.jpg.9affb720352c7467d1b1ec541476179d.jpg

One last repaint... for now.  This is Transformers X Volvo VNR Optimus Prime.  This is the exact same figure as the Holiday Optimus Prime released before Christmas last year, just in more standard Prime colors, which is what I feel most people actually wanted.  As I said at the time, it's a very good mold, but I do have some notes.  For one, I'm glad they painted the yellow on Prime's hips, but why didn't they get the rectangle on his crotch?  Two, maybe it's just they way the parts are arranged on the sprues, but Prime's biceps and forearms are gray, with red paint on the forearms.  I'd have preferred they also made his biceps red, and I really wish when they were painting his forearms that they didn't miss the flaps that open on the back for folding his hands in.

PXL_20230808_181952711.jpg.66be66ac30b845c587f04088f2370c41.jpg

Like Holiday Optimus, VNR Optimus has a Matrix unique to the mold, but is otherwise paired with the accessories of Earthrise Optimus Prime- the too-thick rifle, the trailer with detachable shield, and the detachable drone inside.  For whatever reason, the trailer's door is black on this release.  I'll probably either buy the Nonnef upgrade kit I used on my Earthrise trailer, or, at the very lease, swap the black door with the gray one I replaced on the Earthrise trailer.

PXL_20230808_183115737.jpg.3e434e1957dde9d4a88e1943c754d9e7.jpg

PXL_20230808_183058510.jpg.1f78bee40b7919cc1edf546a9461d5f7.jpg

As a Volvo-licensed and now full-on Volvo crossover toy, VNR Optimus isn't just a pretty good Optimus figure with an original, fun transformation.  He turns into a licensed Volvo VNR 300 truck.  It's a little longish, compared to the real truck, but it's got lots of details you'd see on the real vehicle like the extra mirrors on the nose, the singular smokestack, etc.  More than that, it really goes out of its way to be the truck, so stuff like the back of the cab and the hitch aren't neglected.  There's a real back on the cab, not a gap between tucked in arms, and a hitch with eight rear tires and a realistically angled fifth wheel.  This was all true for the Holiday Prime, of course, but again this time we have a red cab with some blue, G1-style.  And the trailer ditches the candy stripes for a more classic G1 look, and pulls it off better than Earthrise did (where the white part of the stripe wasn't in the budget, I guess).

Being a holiday-themed figure probably limited the appeal and market for this mold the first time around, but this is a fantastic mold.  Now that it's in traditional Prime colors and you can display it as an alternate or upgraded G1 Prime I'd strongly recommend checking this figure out.

The Takara Tomy Optimus Prime Lunar Cruiser is also available for preorder. Odd I thought this was a crowdfunded exclusive:

image.jpeg.3e7673652504c8b55e56faf7e1f0cf3d.jpeg

HLJ (¥9000): https://www.hlj.com/lunar-cruiser-prime-tkt90661

Anime Export (¥8000 now, ¥9000 later): https://www.anime-export.com/index.php?product=71011

Amiami (¥8800): https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-157939

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Well, after a couple of new Studio Series figures, how about we wrap up with a big Repaint Roundup?

PXL_20230803_045739099.jpg.34bf95e02e80ca0211f3a7f93050c0a8.jpg

Staying with Studio Series, up first we have Gamer Edition Deluxe-class Cliffjumper (and yes, I know I usually put the new figure on the left, I screwed up on a few, but I think you guys are smart enough to figure it out).  Cliffjumper is the same figure as Bumblebee from the neck down, the only difference is that he has a new head.  Now, GE Bee was a middling sort of figure, and there was some debate about whether or not it was really an upgrade over the original Deluxe.  I suppose that's at least somewhat true for Cliffjumper, but I'll note that GE Cliffjumper has a more Transformers Prime style head, which is accurate to Fall of Cybertron game.  The old WFC Bee was repainted as Cliffjumper, but that toy had a more G1-style head, so at least this figure is an upgrade on accuracy.

PXL_20230803_045753506.jpg.f9bd7a9de4f7990166823e07305e6e59.jpg

Cliffjumper comes with the same sword and pair of guns with the same storage solutions as Bumblebee.

PXL_20230803_051709643.jpg.18fbefcb390e5e47c924791aaff95aa0.jpg

And with the head tucked away, the only difference in alt modes is the color (although I do like red...).  So, if you're all on in on the Gamer Edition and you liked Bee, you should be fine with Cliffjumper.  But on the whole he's kind of mediocre, which is how I'd sum up the whole Gamer Edition subline at this point.

PXL_20230803_041245288.jpg.6baf5e7fcfe948459a163b699640f6f8.jpg

Next up, we have a Target-exclusive two-pack of Ironhide and Prowl.  Prowl is based on the Earthrise release that came in an Amazon-exclusive two-pack with Ironhide during Earthirse.  Unlike that set, this set uses the Studio Series release of Ironhide instead of the Earthrise one.  Both figures come with the same accessories as before (a rifle and lightbar for Prowl, and two pistols for Ironhide), as well as some additional blast effects.

PXL_20230803_042300751.jpg.3b04b0477ae8c9276ffce8407c36c53f.jpg

As I was saying, Ironhide is based on his Studio Series 86 Voyager-class release, but this time he's sporting a new head and chest.  The head has an open mouth, and the chest has a shattered window revealing some mechanical detail underneath.  The mechanical detail has a hole that turns out to be a 5mm port, allowing you to plug in the blast effect.  It also necessitated that the "glass" on the window be painted rather than translucent, so basically all the parts that were translucent on the original release are red plastic with blue paint.  And less red paint and more red plastic means that, for one, the reds are better color matched, and two, budget was freed up to paint the yellow stripe .  No Reprolabels this time!

PXL_20230803_041430743.jpg.a994cfdfb49fb4976f2af5efc41f3bd3.jpg

Like Ironhide, Prowl has a remolded head and chest.  I'm a bit surprised (and pleased) to see that Prowl's new head is more than just an open mouth- I dig the wider cheeks on the "helmet", and his chest doesn't simply have battle damage, they remolded the bumper and painted it gray to be more cartoon-accurate.  Speaking of being more cartoon accurate, they replaced the "Highway Patrol Police" on his door wings with a blue Autobot star, added some gray lines and a red triangle on his pelvis, and gave him gray thighs and a gray midsection to make him more cartoon accurate.  There's also the painted instead of translucent windows, mind you.  While I do love the toy details (especially with Reprolables) on the earlier release, I really like the cartoon accuracy of this new release.  If only it weren't battle damaged I'd probably use this as my main Prowl.  Maybe Prowl will get a more widespread solo release... he does have a Studio Series number (86-20).  Prowl's battle damage uses one of those tiny pegs instead of a 5mm port, but the idea is the same, so you can attach a blast effect.  Too bad he doesn't have the orange smoke for his mouth. 

Anyway, Ironhide and Prowl are both great figures, but you're better off with the original releases as these guys are definitely dead.  I really only recommend this set if it's you missed out on Prowl earlier, or if you want more dead Autobots to display with Alternate Universe Optimus Prime.

PXL_20230803_222349041.jpg.d428715ec19a7674ee0f44f7bbdf7c7b.jpg

Another Target Exclusive is Tow-Line, based on the character from Robots In Disguise 2001.  Tow-Line is a repaint of Junkion Scraphook, with the same accessories and quibbles I had with that figure, just a new head and color scheme.  The new head is bang on!  The problem is that the rest of the figure is not.  RID Tow-Line has a truck cab for a belly.  I mean, if there's one detail you're going to notice about him, that'd be it.

PXL_20230803_221636225.jpg.1d912466eb2b285277effe17c2de0098.jpg

Things do not improve in alt mode, as Tow-Line retains the Mad Max-esque hot-rodded pickup with a tow hook alt mode from Scraphook, which aside from colors bears no real resemblance to RID Tow-Line's tractor cab and car-crusher trailer.  With Hasbro's reluctance to actually revisit the RID 2001 universe this might be the only Tow-Line we get for awhile, but it's still pretty disappointing.  I'd say pass on it.

PXL_20230803_033333966.jpg.9b2e3ed485ec67f0e14c970f709973aa.jpg

We're not done yet!  We have another exclusive, and this one is the Pulse-exclusive from SDCC, War Dawn.  War Dawn is named after the G1 episode "War Dawn," where the the Aerialbots are accidentally sent back in time.  This episode is best remembered as the one where we meet Orion Pax, see him get badly wounded, and rebuilt by Alpha Trion as Optimus Prime, and in the inspiration for last year's "A Hero is Born" set.  But fans of the episode might remember that Orion Pax wasn't the only character the Aerialbots met.  There was also Dion, Pax's friend, and Aerial, his girlfriend (who herself would be rebuilt as Elita-1).

PXL_20230803_033619547.jpg.69122e53f8d50c576773bb6e3601a4a3.jpg

Like Pax, Dion is a remold of Studio Series 86 Kup, and also like Pax he's got a new head, chest, forearms, shins, and some of his backpack.  His robot mode comes across OK... I guess Floro Dery's Kup translates pretty well to the other likely Dery-designed generic Cybertronians that were never meant to have toys.  The remolded chest is accurate, the head is a solid depiction of the animation, and the colors are mostly accurate.  I mean, there are some scenes where his forearms are white/light gray, and his midriff definitely should be.  He's missing the wheels shown in his shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, though, and it would have been better if the new backpack parts angled outward.

PXL_20230803_034213730.jpg.1ad06ac727a52fe267a44cbf200b9b54.jpg

Speaking of his backpack parts, they're actually attached to his slightly-remolded backpack via 5mm ports.  And while Dion comes with the rifle and pack of Energon goodies that Kup and Pax did, his backpack parts can come off and also have 5mm pegs so he can hold them, and little nubs that can be used to attach blast effects.

PXL_20230803_035315648.jpg.7ea061f7329d159538bdb577a7a589ba.jpg

Unfortunately, unlike Pax Dion actually had his alt mode animated, and Kup-ish it isn't.  Still, for a one-off flashback character that was never meant to have a toy, a decently accurate robot with not-very-accurate alt mode is the best we're likely to get.  Certainly a step up from his a original toy, a 2005 e-HOBBY repaint of G1 Wheelie.

PXL_20230803_035603102.jpg.3e839f2da3e5f9fa2823009da75ac659.jpg

Ariel, or "Erial" for copyright reasons, is a retool of Legacy Arcee/Road Rocket/Flamewar.  In bot mode, the only noticeable difference from most angles is the new head, new hands, and the colors, but part of her backpack is also remolded.

PXL_20230803_035839174.jpg.778d6d856bd7493552206d80187b75bb.jpg

To be fair, Ariel's animation model was a pretty generic fembot shape, and this mold more or less had that already.  She's just sporting some bigger arm pads and wheel kibble, plus a backpack she didn't have in the animation.  But she does have a new head with an animation-accurate ponytail.

She still has the wheel accessory that the other versions of this mold do, but unlike those other versions the rest of the bike's front end is pinned and not removable, and she ditchest the crappy translucent shuriken/arm blades for a brand new pistol accessory.  The pistol is molded after one Elita-1 used in a different episode.

PXL_20230803_040837873.jpg.ad82f843d0bced26a62ff6ca04f5c71f.jpg

I mentioned that the front of the bike doesn't come off on Erial.  This is due to those parts being remolded, and while they're not really noticeable they make a big difference in alt mode, giving her a speedier-looking sci-fi sort of bike mode.  And pink, just in time for the Barbie movie.

Kup and Arcee's molds aren't bad, but nor are they my favorites.  If you have the A Hero is Born pack this set complements it nicely and you should consider picking it up.  But I'd say that if you don't have Pax and Alpha Trion you probably don't need Dion and Erial.

PXL_20230808_181624204.jpg.9affb720352c7467d1b1ec541476179d.jpg

One last repaint... for now.  This is Transformers X Volvo VNR Optimus Prime.  This is the exact same figure as the Holiday Optimus Prime released before Christmas last year, just in more standard Prime colors, which is what I feel most people actually wanted.  As I said at the time, it's a very good mold, but I do have some notes.  For one, I'm glad they painted the yellow on Prime's hips, but why didn't they get the rectangle on his crotch?  Two, maybe it's just they way the parts are arranged on the sprues, but Prime's biceps and forearms are gray, with red paint on the forearms.  I'd have preferred they also made his biceps red, and I really wish when they were painting his forearms that they didn't miss the flaps that open on the back for folding his hands in.

PXL_20230808_181952711.jpg.66be66ac30b845c587f04088f2370c41.jpg

Like Holiday Optimus, VNR Optimus has a Matrix unique to the mold, but is otherwise paired with the accessories of Earthrise Optimus Prime- the too-thick rifle, the trailer with detachable shield, and the detachable drone inside.  For whatever reason, the trailer's door is black on this release.  I'll probably either buy the Nonnef upgrade kit I used on my Earthrise trailer, or, at the very lease, swap the black door with the gray one I replaced on the Earthrise trailer.

PXL_20230808_183115737.jpg.3e434e1957dde9d4a88e1943c754d9e7.jpg

PXL_20230808_183058510.jpg.1f78bee40b7919cc1edf546a9461d5f7.jpg

As a Volvo-licensed and now full-on Volvo crossover toy, VNR Optimus isn't just a pretty good Optimus figure with an original, fun transformation.  He turns into a licensed Volvo VNR 300 truck.  It's a little longish, compared to the real truck, but it's got lots of details you'd see on the real vehicle like the extra mirrors on the nose, the singular smokestack, etc.  More than that, it really goes out of its way to be the truck, so stuff like the back of the cab and the hitch aren't neglected.  There's a real back on the cab, not a gap between tucked in arms, and a hitch with eight rear tires and a realistically angled fifth wheel.  This was all true for the Holiday Prime, of course, but again this time we have a red cab with some blue, G1-style.  And the trailer ditches the candy stripes for a more classic G1 look, and pulls it off better than Earthrise did (where the white part of the stripe wasn't in the budget, I guess).

Being a holiday-themed figure probably limited the appeal and market for this mold the first time around, but this is a fantastic mold.  Now that it's in traditional Prime colors and you can display it as an alternate or upgraded G1 Prime I'd strongly recommend checking this figure out.

Second that recommendation. Mine came on Monday, and I remain impressed by both the engineering and the unparalleled realism in truck mode. While a cabover truck mode is my preference for Prime, I like the shorter nose of this truck over the longer nosed trucks from the Bay films. The transformation is mildly complex and clever. Truth be told, I didn't even notice the missing paint apps that Mike pointed out (I see them, now), but my negative observations are that the lower legs look too skinny (the blue section is the same width as the thighs, and just looks off to me) and it would have been cool had the top half of the cabin collapsed into the lower half so he doesn't look like he has massive cankles from the rear. Overall, though, a solid figure.

The more I see of this guy, the more I start getting the itch. Very hopeful to see some of the other carbots, specifically Prowl, whose toy suffered irreparable damage when I attempted surgery to give him articulated hips when I was a kid. Prowl was my first Transformer toy, and to have that toy back again with the articulation I imagined and wanted to give him would be wonderful. This pic of Missing Link Prime striking the OG toy's box art pose is pretty cool. I'm glad TT are doing these on their own; I think they'd fall short under Hasbro and their extremely restrictive budget constraints.

tt240208.jpg