The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

What makes you think they don't have a license from VW?

VW almost gave them the license for Binaltech, but it fell through because they didn't want Bumblebee to have a gun.

Which is a bummer, as the line-art for the proposed toy used the new Beetle as his alt, and overall looked cool. If Has/Tak ever decide to revisit the design and produce it, I'd happily pick one up.

Eh, it wouldn't be the first time I took a made-up story at face value.

On the other hand, if it was just about the gun... Honda was easy enough to satisfy by removing the gun from the package.

Edited by JB0

Thought that shenanigans was all just some fan's fan-fiction of licensing stuff...

AFAIK, this one's actually mostly true. Takara pulled it off for the Japanese market, but this is still why there's no Hasbro MP Sideswipe.

Also, I'm not a fan of MP Bee. I mean, hollow arms? A lot of guys here complain about that on a $12 Deluxe; don't know why that's getting a pass on a more expensive MP. Plus, the realistic alt mode looks off on him. I actually think I'd have prefered if they kept the Choro-Q proportions.

I guess we'll know what's happening with VW when Bumble is released in November. I suspect that there will be a VW logo on those Masterpiece boxes...

I thought MP Sideswipe was getting a US release..? Roadbots used to have licensed Lamborghini transforming bots a few years ago.

I guess we'll know what's happening with VW when Bumble is released in November. I suspect that there will be a VW logo on those Masterpiece boxes...

I thought MP Sideswipe was getting a US release..? Roadbots used to have licensed Lamborghini transforming bots a few years ago.

If they are, it's news to me. Last I heard, they went straight to Prowl, who should be out in August.

If they are, it's news to me. Last I heard, they went straight to Prowl, who should be out in August.

Yep, Prowl will be first.

MP Sideswipe was a part of that leaked/hacked list that came out last year which included the mention of Leader class Jetfire and Megatron and a heap of others. Hasbro mentioned a US release of MP Bluestreak and Sideswipe at their Botcon panel about a week ago.

Sideswipe was announced at the Botcon panel, he is a 15' release at TRU.

Still going to be a floppy KO of the Takara mold. haha!

Companies turned down transformers when they weren't international billion dollar merchandise wrecking balls. (even maybe devastators)

No company on earth wouldn't want the extra hype, even if vintage based on their brand. VW wants to sell cars, and If they sell a few extra models

from a licensing deal they make money off of, why not?

It was also a big help when Tomy grabbed Tak, that brought the entire Japanes 1/64 scale car market licensing possibilities to Takara's Transformers lines.

Vintage is in, in every category.

Companies turned down transformers when they weren't international billion dollar merchandise wrecking balls. (even maybe devastators)

No company on earth wouldn't want the extra hype, even if vintage based on their brand. VW wants to sell cars, and If they sell a few extra models

It was also a big help when Tomy grabbed Tak, that brought the entire Japanes 1/64 scale car market licensing possibilities to Takara's Transformers lines.

what makes you think they are physically different molds? I'm sure they just lend them the mold, factory time etc. difference is who is running 9not just physically but determining everyting about the run that can be determined given one set of tooling) and supervising the production etc.

Edited by Mechapilot77

Hey now no reason to diss the KOs, I heard the KO Sideswipe was actually pretty good with better paint apps than takara could do.

Hey now no reason to diss the KOs, I heard the KO Sideswipe was actually pretty good with better paint apps than takara could do.

They all vary, there is no consistency. Trust me, I've looked at about every pic ever posted of that mold. Original Takara, Takara-Korea, early KO's, the revised KO's with better printing (namebadge, logo), re-release Takara, etc.

And some are good, and some are bad. Most are "mediocre-poor". But you will find all "paint-quality levels" on all releases, in approximately equal numbers. Buying an original can get you a great one or a terrible one. Same for the KO's.

Yeah, I agree lol, I should have worded it better. My Gold Sideswipe is tighter then the Hasbro MP's just in general.

TRU is having one of its clearance sales, and a few Transformers are included for those interested:

• YOTH Optimus Prime is marked down to $89.99
  • Acid Storm (if you can still find him) is down to $69.99

And there were others, but those were the Masterpiece figures that I saw when I was passing through on my way to Ikea. Even with the odd color scheme, and the huge box, $90 for Prime before tax is very tempting. I may swing by again later today to see if any are still there.

It's too bad that there isn't a 3P party making Chrome pieces to swap out on YOTH Prime. He looks perfect with Chrome instead of that Gold.
Seem's like a missed opportunity instead of more crappy G1 styled full figures that will eventually get their own MP.

I liked it better when upgrades were the main draw on 3P.

I PO'd the G2 Sideswipe Dr Wu set, that's basically what 3P should be about.

In person, I was thinking that the gold isn't too bad. My main critique was against the 'ghost' trailer, which seemed an odd choice. But now I am thinking of ditching the box and pairing the trailer with MP-10B. I just need to figure out some way to disguise the YOTH insignia on the ramp.

Thanks, eriku! I'm not opposed to a mod or two, although I may keep the gold for a short while to appreciate the ridiculous nature of the original release. The only issue is timing. The last time I left a couple Masterpieces on the shelf at TRU for "another day" like I did yesterday, there was a run on stock and everything was sold out by the time I returned to the store. :D

Guest davidwhangchoi

arrgh so tempting but must resist. that's a deal for 89.99

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

i've been watching super god master force... i try to hold my focus to watch a few episodes before falling asleep on the couch. it's so boring i can't keep awake. it makes me feel like i have ADHD.

though g1 was for kids and it's just nostalgia, it's so much better than god force. the story is the same plot over and over in god force.

at least with g1 there some interesting stories like spike being moved to frankenstein and megatron tricks him when spike lacks intelligence.

or omega supreme getting screwed over by the constructicons in the past when they were friends.

anyways, i tried going to toys r us for yoth prime but there was too much traffic on the way home from work. i'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Does anyone have an easily accessable list of post season 4 Transformers series? I'd like to see where the rest of these toys come from.

Edited by Benson13

Do you want a list of all of them, or the ones worth watching?

The GREAT ones are:

Beast Wars (best TF series ever, story/plot-wise) Yes, it's one of the earlier CG 'toons out there, but it noticeably improves every season---get through season 1's visuals, and you'll be rewarded with an AMAZING story that ties together the entire franchise like no other.

TF:Animated (best TF series ever, homage/humor-wise)

The GOOD ones are:

Robots in Disguise (mainly for the humor---no, I'm not a fan of "bumbling Decepticons" but there are just some great lines/gags in there---and a pissed-off loner Magnus who's jealous of Prime getting the matrix is an interesting take)

TF:Prime (barely)

Everything else is junk. IMHO.

Here is a quick photo comparing my three Primes (still in their boxes). The size of the TRU box is a bit ridiculous compared to Takara's MP-10, and MP-10B just looks puny. The VF-19S is there for reference.

post-5492-0-21518600-1404414598_thumb.png

It was definitely the better buy of the two items, though. My first Acid Storm came with battle damage. The left vertical stabilizer had a broken RWR antenna right out of the box. I'm not sure if the tip snapped or shattered, and I didn't notice it until I had zoomed it around the room a couple times at first TRU's return policy seemed odd:

For damaged/defective items, call customer service to arrange for validation and prepaid return label.

After calling TRU customer service this morning, they said that the above policy was for on-line returns only, and I should be okay with getting a refund/replacement toy at the store. I did that and lucked out (they had another Acid Storm in stock). And this one has all its parts intact.

Edit: Adding YOTH photo and updated return information.

Edited by technoblue

Guest davidwhangchoi

Do you want a list of all of them, or the ones worth watching?

The GREAT ones are:

Beast Wars (best TF series ever, story/plot-wise) Yes, it's one of the earlier CG 'toons out there, but it noticeably improves every season---get through season 1's visuals, and you'll be rewarded with an AMAZING story that ties together the entire franchise like no other.

Animated (best TF series ever, homage/humor-wise)

Beast Wars you say?

i was looking at this last week and made me laugh:

^Maxipads!!!! LMAO!!!

I loved Beast Wars, I agree with David H. that it was one of the best written Transformers stories (I haven't watched any of the newer ones so I can't comment on how good they are or aren't) that enhanced and respected the animated cannon.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

it's at 12,800 dollars so far, damn...

here's why menasor is worth the money ;) , it takes omega supreme AND superion to finally beat him, otherwise the aerialbots would've been crushed.

Edited by davidwhangchoi