The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

it also looks like crap and garbage.

Yeah... people said the same about Animated, before it actually debuted.

That being said... I agree. And, while I loved watching Animated, I wasn't a big fan of the toyline.

So, I'll definitely watch the show. I may even like the show. But I probably won't buy any of the toys.

As for the new animated show, I'll reserve judgement until it finally airs; however, even though they said that the pic isn't the final look, I'm guessing it's not far off, and the toys will probably be greatly simplified, since that now seems to be Hasbro's direction. Prime turned out to be a very good show, IMO, and the majority of the toys ranged from good to ok, with a few turds (Deluxe Airachnid comes to mind). At this point, the live action movie/animated mix has been done, and I wish they'd find a whole new look apart from what's been done already. Just not War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron. Please Hasbro, no crappy Cybertronian modes, and no god-awful neon lighting all over. While the gameplay was ok, I couldn't abide the terrible aesthetic they used in those games.

To be fair, I wasn't crazy about the Animated look at first, but the show quickly grew on me, and I loved the toys. I still have the vast majority of my Animated collection displayed on my desk. If anything, I wish more of the characters had been made into toys.

MP WJ looks pretty good, but there's something off about the waist in that picture. I hope it's just the angle, b/c the uncolored proto looked good.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Nobody in the US cares about Star Saber... :D

Anyways---yeah, very pleased about MP WJ. Has red wheels! And has the two "critical" sponsor logos---Lancia and Alitalia. Those were essential for the proper look. All other sponsors/stickers/markings are minor and forgettable.

I think they did about the best possible hybrid for pleasing several groups---toy-accuracy vs real-world accuracy. It's got the "critical" sponsor logos for the realism, but it also is fairly "clean" overall without a zillion minor sponsors---for the toy-accuracy.

If you want toon-accuracy---well, maybe hope for a US release with simplified paint-apps. Or just dunk the JP version in paint thinner for a while---there's not much to the 'toon version. A "blank" one with 4 stickers from Reprolabels should be able to replicate it pretty closely.

I care about star saber. You are incorrect. It's actually much more interesting than Ultra Magnus (Another prime retread) and bumblebee haha.

wheeljack looks awesome, love his colors. the lunchbox is blue. lol

Wheeljack looks great. Can't wait to get that.

27426165d1395323444-masterpiece-magazine

Probably the only mp I'll keep doubles of.

Edited by Gakken85

Wheeljack looks amazing!

But here's something else: In the bottom-left corner of the photo of the page with WJ on it, there is a small news tidbit that says there will be a 1/1 scale "Convoy trailer" as part of the 30th anniversary project...

WOW!! Wheeljack's deco is perfect. It really DID need the Allitalia on it because its such a well known livery. hoepfully thi smeans an eventual mp jazz can get that martini racing accurate livery too!

the magnus silhouette looks nice. I think its a real silhouette. the thighs look VERY MP-10, so i think its a legit teaser not just a random generic magnus shape

as far as star saber...i have no affinity for this character. he wasn't known to me until the advent of the widespread adoption of the internet. don't really care much. if it ends up being an awesome collectible toy....i'll look into it, but i won't be disappointed if it sucks because... do not care. i can't understand anyone in the US caring that much. While i colllect new macross series stuff, non US G1 characters don' t get much love from me. i'm still a bit sore its happening when those resources could have worked on another legit S1, S2, TFTM, or season 3 character.

Finally, MP Ultra Magnus! Hopefully will be a X-Mas release.

Oh and yeah Jackie is cool too!

On other news: TRU is offering 20% off this week, so I had my brother picked up YOTH Optimus Prime for me. This gold Optimus does look better in person than in pictures. The box is way over size.

as far as star saber...i have no affinity for this character. he wasn't known to me until the advent of the widespread adoption of the internet. don't really care much. if it ends up being an awesome collectible toy....i'll look into it, but i won't be disappointed if it sucks because... do not care. i can't understand anyone in the US caring that much. While i colllect new macross series stuff, non US G1 characters don' t get much love from me. i'm still a bit sore its happening when those resources could have worked on another legit S1, S2, TFTM, or season 3 character.

He's a religious zealot in the current TF comics.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Cyclonus: "You want me to gut Ultra Magnus?"

Galvatron: "There are plenty of Autobots for you. Ultra Magnus is mine!"

i'm getting horse prime as well w/ 20% off and a 10 gift card i got from getting mgs V. I've been coming home late from work so tru was closed by the time i got home. i looked at him in the store and what everyone is saying is true. the gold does not look like the pictures but very understated. the dark red looks good.

the magnus silhouette looks nice. I think its a real silhouette. the thighs look VERY MP-10, so i think its a legit teaser not just a random generic magnus shape

Funny, the thighs are the first thing that caught my eye too when I first saw the pictures. Perhaps indicative of wrap-around armor after all?

Not that it matters to me, I just want him MP style in my collection.

Cyclonus: "You want me to gut Ultra Magnus?"

Galvatron: "There are plenty of Autobots for you. Ultra Magnus is mine!"

i'm getting horse prime as well w/ 20% off and a 10 gift card i got from getting mgs V. I've been coming home late from work so tru was closed by the time i got home. i looked at him in the store and what everyone is saying is true. the gold does not look like the pictures but very understated. the dark red looks good.

its pretty awesome in person. the red and blues are nice and dark...darker than the TT MP10 even. i think as years go by and this become more "rare" it will truly be looked back on fondly. i am super surprised they aren't releasing the plane jane normal prime colors for the 30th anniversary though.

Funny, the thighs are the first thing that caught my eye too when I first saw the pictures. Perhaps indicative of wrap-around armor after all?

Not that it matters to me, I just want him MP style in my collection.

yeah its been rumored and hinted at to be an armor all along. from the early mockups shown by hasui 2 years ago to pictures of prime transformed witg his legs backwards etc. its gonna be a white prime with armor and that is more than ok with me.

Finally, MP Ultra Magnus! Hopefully will be a X-Mas release.

Oh and yeah Jackie is cool too!

On other news: TRU is offering 20% off this week, so I had my brother picked up YOTH Optimus Prime for me. This gold Optimus does look better in person than in pictures. The box is way over size.

Picked up a YOTH Prime from a local Toys R Us and yes, the box is ridiculously over-sized. I still absolutely hate the gold but it's not as gaudy as it appears in most of the pictures, the other colors look awesome on him.

If any 3rd party does end up offering silver or chrome parts to replace the gold then (1) it's an automatic buy and (2) I would actually consider taking prime out of his plastic and cardboard prison.

-b.

I was gonna pass up on YOTH Prime, because of the ridiculously over-sized packaging, but them TRU wheeled me in with their 20% off coupon. I'm gonna keep this Prime in his cardboard prison until many years from now, it's for my son, he was born the YOTH.

After playing around with it for a while, I can say Whirl is a decent TF. His bot mode in all his spindly, goat legged glory is a refreshing rendition of the G1 counterpart, and sets it apart from the original Dorvack design. As far as his alt mode is concerned, I was really hoping the gap between the leg assembly and cockpit in all the promo shots was just a mistransformation, but if you follow all the transformation directions, there's no way around it. The landing skids are also set too far back, which makes for one already bulky looking helicopter even goofier. Unfortunately, the skids aren't easily removable, they're molded into the legs. Moving them farther forward would involve snipping them off, sanding, and gluing-which kinda sucks. To make things worse, the skids have such a low clearance that they can't accommodate a gun attached to the nose. Despite those weak areas, it's still a fairly convincing helicopter mode, probably the best a tf has ever had, but it still can't hold a candle to the original Ovelon Gazzette.

I could not forget about Star Saber even if I tried. Watched a lot of the japanese TF as a kid and his transformation couldn't have been more hammered into my skull. That animation sequence was shown again and again and again and again and again... :p

I could not forget about Star Saber even if I tried. Watched a lot of the japanese TF as a kid and his transformation couldn't have been more hammered into my skull. That animation sequence was shown again and again and again and again and again... :p

Not sure if it's different in Europe or other parts of the world, but he's really a non-entity here. Shout Factory's DVD release a year or two back is the first time I'm aware of Victory being legitimately available in the US.

Anyhows... I got the 20% off coupon, and TRU let me take another 15% off for opening a TRU credit card, so I picked up YotH Prime for around $88. If you're familiar with either the Hasbro Masterpiece Prime or the Takara MP-10, you know what you're dealing with here. So, very quickly:

Pros

-It's MP-10. MP-10 is still the single best Transformers toy ever designed. I love my Soundwave and my Grimlock (and granted, I don't have any of the Autobot cars), but MP-10 is still the best. He's the right size, looks good as a truck and fantastic as a bot, has great poseability, and a Transformation that is satisfyingly complex without being frustrating.

-The non-chrome colors. He's a really good-looking toy. While Hasbro MP Prime was a bright red, YotH Prime is a deep, dark red, like a maroon. Similarly, his hands, head, and lower legs are a very dark blue. Not the purplish-blue of the Takara, either, but a very deep, navy blue. His midsection, which I was hoping was a dark blue ala Pepsi Prime, is actually more of a black, and his thighs, rather than a cartoon silver-gray, are a darker gunmetal gray. Top that off with clear red on his crotch instead of yellow, and a clear blue energon axe instead of bright orange, and he's quite striking

-Tighter joints. At least vs. the Hasbro MP Prime. All of his joints are nice and tight, which is a big improvement over Hasbro MP Prime's weak ankles and hips.

- Comes with the trailer. That's a step up from MP-10B, right?

Cons

-QC. Despite having tighter joints, QC actually seems a little down. His legs don't want to stay together in truck mode. Actually, he seems to want to pop apart from truck mode at the slightest touch. The headlights kept popping open, his arms want to pop out, and nothing I could do would keep the bumper pegged together. Plus, one of his smokestacks was jammed. I had to go around the edge with an X-acto knife before I could get it to slide up and down.

-Black side-view mirrors. It just looks cheap and bad, like the molded exhaust running along the bottom of a Hot Wheels car.

-Gold chrome. It looks tacky, just the way it would look tacky on a real truck. That being said, it's really not as bad in person as it looks in some pics. It's light, almost a brass color. Depending on the lighting, you might not even realize it's gold if you didn't already know.

-Same price, less extras. Actually, Hasbro MP Prime was supposed to be $99.99, but TRU jacked it up to $130 when they realized how crazy the demand was. YotH Prime is $129.99 from the start. But, despite having the energon axe, the gun, the Matrix, and the trailer, they stopped short of including Spike (which I really don't care about ) and Roller (which bums me out).

My suggestion... if you already have some version of MP-10, you probably don't need YotH Prime. The colors are kind of cool, but there's no precedent for them, and YotH Prime doesn't offer anything new or extra. If you don't have an MP-10 (or like me, you wanted a second, slightly different one), print out your coupon and go get him! MP-10, even if slightly unusual colors, is worth it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i finally got horse prime today. after a whole week of delaying it. used my phone to show the 20% off coupon plus the 10 gift card i got from buying mgs V earlier. i saw a few boxes on display but they were all crushed so they guy got one from the back very clean.

the red looks very good and the gold looks like brass. it's looks good.

More pics of MP Bumblebee and Spike;

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-1/takaratomy-下一款transformers變形金剛-master-piece-剪影公開-bumblebee大黄蜂/

mp2101.jpg

Personally I wished they'd released an EXO Suit Daniel with Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, but hey.

-b.

Personally I wished they'd released an EXO Suit Daniel with Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, but hey.

-b.

MP24 or 25 etc----new Hot Rod w/ExoSuit Daniel?

We really need a new Hot Rod---that mold seems to have aged much worse than the seekers or Grimlock, despite being newer.