So far, so good.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 81%

"In most ways, this paradoxically derivative yet imaginative sci-fi epic is everything every monster movie since the beginning of time might have wished it could be: In no way pinched budget-wise, it's got first-class special effects, crafty behemoths that calculate and react to circumstances in non-dumb ways, a smart director who injects a sense of fun and surprise whenever he can, a fair percentage of characters you don't mind watching, and a few decent plot twists. In this genre, that's saying something." - Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter

"... just the kind of big-ticket sci-fi adventure you’d want del Toro to make -- provided you’d want him to make one at all." - Stephanie Zacharek, The Village Voice

"... a crushed-metal orgy that plays like an extended 3D episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on very expensive acid." - Justin Chang, Variety

I've seen two very conflicting reviews today. Sounds like different reviewers wanting to see different things. (surprise surprise) Seeing it in just over 24 hours so hopefully I will enjoy it.

Well, its no so clear cut on this one. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a fan of 3D myself, I usually actively seek out the 2D versions of film when available. I find 3D films (either post processed or native) to be generally darker, less contrasty and more blurry than its 2D counterpart.

Guillermo did originally say it was going to be 2D and he wasn't a fan of 3D himself before he started shooting. It was shot with 2D cameras, so any live footage was post processed. I'm sure the original intent of the conversion to 3D was a "money grab" by the studios.

However, once I saw it in 3D, I was amazed how good it looked. Most of the movie is complete CG (despite over a 100 days of shooting live action!) or so much CG that the majority of elements on screen was naturally in 3D to begin with. Even with films originally shot in 3D, the best shots are the CG shots anyways (I've worked with the 3D cameras used on Avatar - "unfortunately" we had used those cameras for Resident Evil: Afterlife which was shot in 3D and it didn't look as good as Pacific Rim does). I think Guillermo was "won" over during the conversion process - I personally don't believe he would let the 3D version out there if it looked worst than the 2D. He said to the crew that the "best" version of the film is the IMAX digital 3D version - he had just spent the last few months supervising the transfers to the various formats and I would definitely trust his advice. That's what I've already bought tickets for Saturday!

This is really a film that is "the bigger the better!"

p.s. Everybody who intends to go see this film, really should fight the crowds and see it this opening weekend - there really is nothing like the "energy" of sitting in the theatre with other enthusiastic people on opening weekend. Also, Hollywood judges the success of a film by its opening weekend, if you're complaining about the excessive reboots, remakes, sequels and prequels then support this original film - otherwise you should not be complaining and whining about it later!

Seeing it in IMAX 3D on Friday. Not sure if the crowds will be that big, sad to say. Critical response is great from all the right bloggers and podcasters and internet fandoms are ablaze with enthusiasm. But it's tracking really low compared to the advert campaigns. Speaking from personal experience talking about the movie among family, friends and coworkers, sadly most people are luke-warm to indifferent. When I questioned as to why, most said their initial impression was no different than to other similar-looking, poorly-regarded fare, like the awful Transformers movies, John Carter or Jack the Giant Slayer. One person said to me "Pacific Rim" showed all the tell-tale signs of one of those-kinds-of-movies to avoid like the plague (sigh)

We could have another Dredd on our hands here; critically praised and an awesome movie that finds no audience at the box office. I only hope the 16-34 male crowd is on board for this one because I'm getting the impression a not-insignificant portion of everyone else is not :(

Edited by Mr March

Yeah, going to midnight opening to see this, and convinced a few of my non-animemechaloving friends to join me as well :D

Can't wait to see this movie, hopefully the highlight flick of the summer for me (Star Trek is taking that spot right now).

Really hoping Hot Toys picks up the license for this and starts cranking out mecha :)

So a kaiju takes a dump on Manila. Doesn't make the current landscape any more different.

Netizens on Pacific Rim Photo: Why Dirty Manila?

Not defending the movie in this regard, but Manila (and Philippines in general) HAS significant environmental issues other cities do not. Just saying. Course, one could also take this "Monster Mess in Manila" as a brief moment of social commentary by the filmmakers taking issue with the poor state of things in that city. A call to reason, one might say :)

I was the principal set designer for the Conn-Pod interiors.

These are all my babies... (and a wonderful group of draftsman, and hundreds of other carpenters and scenic artist...)

I gave a presentation of my work in Stuttgart.

http://www.fmx.de/program.html#!/event/1037

Edited by wm cheng

JUST GOT BACK FROM SEEING IT. YAY FIRST MEMBER REVIEW HERE (OK, I TIED WITH UN_MARINE)......

I really enjoyed it. Pretty much everything I expected it to be. Saw it in IMAX 3D and they gave us a cool mini-poster as we went in.

The action was great, the general layout of the story was a *bit* unconventional. The Imax 3D sensation was great. A bit of vertigo at times. Del Toro used a lot of good angles to capture the action.

Cast was great. Worst Australian accents since Evil Angels (a dingo took my barrr-beeee), Fellow Aussies will know what I am talking about. Yeah, I see no need to go into spoiler territory yet either, I will wait for others to see it.

Highly recommended, see it on a big screen, I'm going to see it again tomorrow morning.

Edited by taksraven

Money grab. Look one post up. Had he intended it to be best viewed in IMAX 3D, he'd have used IMAX 3D cameras. He didn't--he filmed it in 2D.

Regardless of the process, it looked great in IMAX 3D. Don't make judgements on things you haven't seen.....(I was looking up at the screen several times thinking "Monster is going to eeeat meeeeeeeee!!!!!") *VERY* effective....

I'm visiting Ohio this week for business so I have to see it tonight in 2D since it seems they don't have any IMAX theaters within an hour of here :(

I'll just go see it this weekend again with the family in glorious 3D IMAX when I get back home!

Can't wait for tonight!