Well, I bit the bullet (thanks Kyp!)... with Ami Ami - it was 4,560Y for EMS (which is more in line) - they will not send via Registered SAL as its over 2kg, its actually 2.4kg. So it came out to 25,530Y total, now I gotta brace for the customs & duties charges when it hits Canada. Has anyone gotten AmiAmi to declare it as a gift or undervalue it?

Cobbled together enough little white markings that I can't wait to give it a dark wash with some dry brushing too to weather it up slightly. Maybe these photoetched parts might step it up a notch eh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMs-1-700-USS-Hammann-Sims-Class-Destroyer-Photo-etched-set-778-/400655335970

Ordered this case from HLJ too;

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-KN14CL/Sup

It perfectly fits these ships (my Andromeda is in one and it looks like its made for it).

Edited by wm cheng

I've ordered from AmiAmi several times but I don't remember if any of the packages were marked as a gift or undervalued. Then again I've never had to pay customs and duties charges. Was I supposed to?

The sister-in-law's coming in from Japan, maybe I'll get her to pick one up for me. They're 19,328 on Amazon Japan, so that works out to about $211 Canadian dollars....

Well, I bit the bullet (thanks Kyp!)... with Ami Ami - it was 4,560Y for EMS (which is more in line) - they will not send via Registered SAL as its over 2kg, its actually 2.4kg. So it came out to 25,530Y total, now I gotta brace for the customs & duties charges when it hits Canada. Has anyone gotten AmiAmi to declare it as a gift or undervalue it?

Cobbled together enough little white markings that I can't wait to give it a dark wash with some dry brushing too to weather it up slightly. Maybe these photoetched parts might step it up a notch eh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMs-1-700-USS-Hammann-Sims-Class-Destroyer-Photo-etched-set-778-/400655335970

It perfectly fits these ships (my Andromeda is in one and it looks like its made for it).

I had Canada Customs miss my VF-4. It was a good day!

Minecin still in route to me. I live in canada and t cost me $285 can. Can anyone tell me if you have to cut parts out of sprues on this thing like the old soul of popyicon version? I really hope not. I can never cut them out good.

No need to cut anything out. It's all just sitting in the trays, ready to plug in.

Isn't it pre-assembled? BTW, cancelled my Starblazers version, and ordered a proper Yamato version of the GX-64.

Mostly. The deck guns, catapults and anchors need to be plugged in, but that's as much assembly as it requires. Everything else is ready to go out of the box.

Edit:

You'll need a small Philips screwdriver to remove the battery compartment cover on the underside of the ship. The screw is hidden under a panel.

Edited by Drad

Minecin still in route to me. I live in canada and t cost me $285 can. Can anyone tell me if you have to cut parts out of sprues on this thing like the old soul of popyicon version? I really hope not. I can never cut them out good.

I'd love to hear from fellow Canadians how much customs/duties we end up paying (or any pleasant surprises of sneaking though!).

Mostly. The deck guns, catapults and anchors need to be plugged in, but that's as much assembly as it requires. Everything else is ready to go out of the box.

Edit

You'll need a small Philips screwdriver to remove the battery compartment cover on the underside of the ship. The screw is hidden under a panel.

That's not bad at all.

Despite the snowstorm, my GX-64 arrived yesterday. Only had a brief look at it but I can tell it's amazing just by looking at the AA batteries.

Size-wise it's the same size as the Taito Super Mechanics model.

How d'ya like it so far?

I'd love to hear from fellow Canadians how much customs/duties we end up paying (or any pleasant surprises of sneaking though!).

When i first started this hobby back in 2008 i use to get hit hard by customs. Lately (last couple of years) i've rarely been hit by custom fees. I'm not sure why. It seems pretty random and arbitrary.

Some observations i've noticed:

-Using EMS seems to mostly avoid custom fees. It does happen but rarely compared to other shipping options.

-Conversely when someone ships to me using UPS i get hit hard by customs. UPS will usually invoice me for a handling fee as well (WTF!). Fed-ex is the same as well.

-Never pay customs fees from Nippon Yassen (probably because they declare lower value).

No need to cut anything out. It's all just sitting in the trays, ready to plug in.

That's good to hear. The Soul of Popynica version requires you to cut certain pieces (mostly everything that stick out of the main hall) out of spruces. I was really disappointed with that. Hate cutting stuff out of spruces for a non-model. With a model at least you can sand it down and paint over it.

Isn't it pre-assembled? BTW, cancelled my Starblazers version, and ordered a proper Yamato version of the GX-64.

There's a Starblazers version? How much is it? Where do you get it?

The Star Blazers version of the GX-64 is just the Yamato 2199 sold under the Star Blazers 2199 name. Now, whether that's just a sticker on the Japanese box or a newly-printed box with Star Blazers 2199 on it, I don't know. The base/stand may or may not have been changed as well. I'm not clear on that either. The ship itself is the same. Price is anywhere from $230-$280, and you can find it on most major US retail sites.

Edited by Drad

Damn it, I just broke down and ordered the GX-64 from AmiAmi.

Chris

Good man, you'll be glad you did. B))

BTW, AmiAmi now has limited this to 1 per customer.

*This item is limited to 1 per customer. (Limit includes all AmiAmi stores and previous orders.) Duplicate orders will be canceled.
Edited by Kyp Durron

Very gooooood....

:lol:

It's scary how easily corruptible I can be when it comes to SBY! :p

I'd like to get that too, any pictures how it looks with the Yamato or Andromeda?

Chris

So has anyone figured out how the Cosmo Falcons on the rear pallets are supposed to launch? The rear carousel is located directly over the launch hatch so any fighter on the "underside" of a pallet would interfere with the launch platform that a fighter would be slid onto and then lowered onto the launch door for it's drop. Did that make any sense?

Chris

I'd like to get that too, any pictures how it looks with the Yamato or Andromeda?

Chris

I'll try to remember to take a shot of it tonight. Unfortunately, HLJ only offers EMS shipping for this item, so while the case was reasonably priced at 1,760Y, it was 3,300 for EMS so the total cost came up to 5,060Y (a bit of a shock). Anyways, it looks really good inside and it should arrive at almost the same time.