Act of Valor - 2012 Navy SEALs film

areaseven

Interesting. Active Duty SEALs also? Hmm...

Yeah if the world gets to see their faces it just MIGHT complicate their careers. Maybe they're like instructors or something. Big fan of the '90 movie btw, it's still on the playlist...

Yeah if the world gets to see their faces it just MIGHT complicate their careers. Maybe they're like instructors or something. Big fan of the '90 movie btw, it's still on the playlist...

I liked the 90s movie for what it was: A straight action flick made for its time. I don't think it'd fly with me now, but I loved it back in the day. But hey, it had a young Charlie Sheen and freakin' Cpl Hicks / Kyle Reese. 'Nuff said!

As for the Active Duty SEALs used in this film, I guess it's a good sign that the guys actually have some time back in stateside to take part in this. I know all the highly trained units like these get deployed like its cool. Some bonafide home time for them is always good.

Edited by Warmaker

• 1 month later...

Saw the trailer for this for the first time at Immortals last night. I have to admit, the cynic in me first thought "recruiting poster much?". Looks cool, though.

Made me think of the Sheen/Biehn film too. Man... how many times as Michael Biehn played a SEAL? Navy SEALs, The Rock, The Abyss...

Edited by Penguin

Saw the trailer for this for the first time at Immortals last night. I have to admit, the cynic in me first thought "recruiting poster much?". Looks cool, though.

Made me think of the Sheen/Biehn film too. Man.. how many times as Michael Biehn played a SEAL? Navy SEALs, The Rock, The Abyss...

Meh, every generation has to have a "Top Gun" movie to call their own. As for the original 80's SEAL movie, I still like watching that one-it's a guilty pleasure...

Made me think of the Sheen/Biehn film too. Man... how many times as Michael Biehn played a SEAL? Navy SEALs, The Rock, The Abyss...

and a Colonial Marine in "Aliens".... B))

I liked the 90s movie for what it was: A straight action flick made for its time. I don't think it'd fly with me now, but I loved it back in the day. But hey, it had a young Charlie Sheen and freakin' Cpl Hicks / Kyle Reese. 'Nuff said!

As for the Active Duty SEALs used in this film, I guess it's a good sign that the guys actually have some time back in stateside to take part in this. I know all the highly trained units like these get deployed like its cool. Some bonafide home time for them is always good.

I once heard that a lot of SEALs actually retire in frustration, because they train so much and with such intensity, only to be deployed on very few actual missions?

At first, I thought: the acting will likely be pretty bad, but the action ought to kick a$$ and take names. But I had to rethink that one. Acutally, some of Hollywood's best and most acclaimed of the post-war generation of action movie and TV toughs, heavies and men's men were military veterans (of WWII): Richard Boone; Earnest Borgnine; William Holden; Robert Ryan; Lee Marvin; Rod Steiger, and many more.

Lee Marvin notably said he learned to "act" in the Marines, trying to act unafraid during ferocious combat, which brought him a Purple Heart during invasion of Saipan.

Edited by reddsun1

• 2 months later...

uh..... that was VERY retarded. Un... totally fake? you're like supposed to 2 two actions after you swap clips (hey even CS gets it right)... i want my 4 mins back.

ok keep it. It was mindless fun, at least... still cautious about the movie...

Edited by TehPW

Am I the only one that thinks this looks awful? Like really awful, clearly Hollywod cashing in on the whole seal team six operation... When I first saw the trailer for this I thought it looked really cheesy. Just saw the second trailer during the super bowl and it looks even worse.

Don't get me wrong , I served 5 years in army but this just looks really awful... Some kind of wired hybrid between G.I. Joe and an episode of JAG.

I hope I'm wrong

They might as well have called this Modern Warfare: Movie of the Game.

And that's why this movie will probably rake in an obscene fortune...

Am I the only one that thinks this looks awful? Like really awful, clearly Hollywod cashing in on the whole seal team six operation... When I first saw the trailer for this I thought it looked really cheesy. Just saw the second trailer during the super bowl and it looks even worse.

Don't get me wrong , I served 5 years in army but this just looks really awful... Some kind of wired hybrid between G.I. Joe and an episode of JAG.

I hope I'm wrong

I'm excited to see it, but I am also wary of the production value... shot entirely (or mostly) on the 5D. But if they take the subject matter seriously enough, it might turn out good. Also, Hollywood's nature is exploitism (I'm pretty sure that's not a word :p) , it's just all about how passionate you are about the subject matter.

I don't know if you've seen the full two minute trailer they are running in theatres right now, but seriously, once you do, there is no point in seeing this film, youve seen every key action sequence, and with the exception of a few plot points that drive them to the battles you know the story.

I am really sick and tired of trailers made to lure in the LCD spoiling every cool/funny/clever/surprise/shock in films. Blech.

Gonna see this movie next Monday, been looking forward to a decent war flick.....my last favourite was BHD...there were other's in between, but that's the one that stands out the most.

Awesome movie, saw it last night. Having real SEALs in it adds a lot of credibility to the action scenes. Haha, the way a lot of scenes were filmed reminded me of Call of Duty. Couple of tear-jerker moments, I expect recruiting offices to be busy for a while after this film is officially released.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night. Characters are pretty thinly defined, but I wasn't expecting there to be any deep explorations considering the main characters weren't portrayed by actors. Funny, although it has plenty of action, I have a hard time calling it an action film since it lacks the over-the-top feeling that "movie" action typically carries. All in all, it was what I expected it to be, a reasonably gritty/realistic-looking depiction of real soldiers in action, so I enjoyed it.

I only had one real criticism.

Once the Mexican special forces guys joined up, Guy Fleegman (Sam Rockwell) from Galaxy Quest popped into my mind. "I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is." From what I saw, that's how they ended up, too. Yes, you could argue that it made some sense that they took point as they were supposed to be leading the SEALs, and yes a SEAL does get injured in the first engagement of the whole film, but that doesn't change that fact that in the climactic confrontation they kinda come off as the nameless Red Shirts who were getting mowed down first, allowing the film to avoid ye olde "villains with improbably bad aim never kill the heroes" trope, while letting the SEALs get killed or injured in more heroic fashion.

Edited by Penguin

Awesome movie, saw it last night. Having real SEALs in it adds a lot of credibility to the action scenes. Haha, the way a lot of scenes were filmed reminded me of Call of Duty. Couple of tear-jerker moments, I expect recruiting offices to be busy for a while after this film is officially released.

Every generation of young Americans should have its own "Top Gun" movie...