Macross Zero Episode 3

MacrossX

They do seem intent on taking Edgar out. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't survive the series... maybe his entire purpose was to bring Shin the VF-0D to him so Shin could have his little date with Mao :p

and damn the Asuka fleet got creamed, but i think Sempai is gonna lay some ass kicking down,in ep 4.i hope.

Nah, he's gonna die. I can just see it:

Edgar: "They killed Roy!"

Shin: "You bastards!"

But then, somehow, he's back in Super Dimension Fortress Macross...only to die again. (Bastards!)

LOL!

Naw, I think ed-oh-gah is gonna make it. He seems too likely to die, they're probably gonna keep him alive just to throw us off. Hell, We'll probably see Edgar at Shin's funeral.

Now..... Where's my Cheyenne figure?

For that matter, how long do you guys suppose it's gonna be until we see a custom model of one in DHM or Hobby J, or even Model Graphix, they seem to have a lot of Macross stuff too?

I have no complaints about Kawamori not using Yoko Kanno for the music of Zero. Yes, I like her work, but so far, every Macross series has used a different style of music. The original series and DYRL had early-80s J-Pop/orchestral music, Macross Plus has the semi techno/industrial sound, Macross 7 was 90s rock/J-Pop and now Zero has gone for what I would call and island theme. I think the varieties of music has so far worked well for Macross.

They never really said how they are related. For him not to have mentioned her yet I'm thinking some type of cousin. If they had been any closer I'm pretty sure he would have heard of Roy or at least reacted to him differently. What I mean is if they were brother and sister and Claudia had been seeing Roy I'm sure he might have heard how Roy was with women unless she kept it a secret from the family who she was seeing or even interested in. Him being a cousin would make sense for her not to have mentioned him before in the original series. I have quite a few that I don't even know and the ones I do know I'm only close to a few of them, some more then others.

They never really said how they are related. For him not to have mentioned her yet I'm thinking some type of cousin. If they had been any closer I'm pretty sure he would have heard of Roy or at least reacted to him differently. What I mean is if they were brother and sister and Claudia had been seeing Roy I'm sure he might have heard how Roy was with women unless she kept it a secret from the family who she was seeing or even interested in. Him being a cousin would make sense for her not to have mentioned him before in the original series. I have quite a few that I don't even know and the ones I do know I'm only close to a few of them, some more then others.

War is a crazy time, and with two siblings in the service, both aren't very likely to talk much. Besides which, what siblings talk about flings they have? Seriously!

Has Roy met Claudia by this point (sorry if this is common knowledge, my memory is a little vague :) )? It certainly doesn't seem that Edgar has a close relationship with Claudia at any rate. If in fact Roy and Claudia have not met, Edgar may just be used as a vehicle to allow them to meet.

As for the mix of cel and CG, if only CG (in particular characters) was used we may have ended up with something that looked just a bit better than that new Voltron.

I like the current look of Zero a lot.

War is a crazy time, and with two siblings in the service, both aren't very likely to talk much. Besides which, what siblings talk about flings they have? Seriously!

True. A war wouldn't allow them to talk much. If they were siblings and being in a war it would cause them to value each other more. They are family after all. So if they did get a chance to talk I'm sure they would talk about personal things, relationships is a topic that might come up. Granted I haven't seen that flashback scenes in SDF Macross, only have the Robotech versions to go on but I doubt Claudia considered relationships a fling. You could see how upset she got when Roy came to pick her up with all those girls with him. I don't think she was the type of person into one night stands or dating many people at once. I kinda get that feeling from DYRL as well. So if she and Roy were serious to any degree and she did get a chance to talk I'm sure it would come up. Especially since they know either of them could die at any time and any of the talks could be their last.

By this time I think the two of them have already meet if we go by the scenes in SDF Macross where there are flashbacks to when Roy and Claudia first meet. That is unless he gets transfered to a base and goes back to flying those Dragon(were those the names?) fighters after the events of Macross Zero are over. I'm guess the scene from "A rainy night" should have already taken place by now as well. I've only seen the Robotech version of that episode but I would think it would have been the same as the SDF Macross other then Roys actual personality but I take it he would have been serious then.

Edited by Effect

By this time I think the two of them have already meet if we go by the scenes in SDF Macross where there are flashbacks to when Roy and Claudia first meet. That is unless he gets transfered to a base and goes back to flying those Dragon(were those the names?) fighters after the events of Macross Zero are over. I'm guess the scene from "A rainy night" should have already taken place by now as well. I've only seen the Robotech version of that episode but I would think it would have been the same as the SDF Macross other then Roys actual personality but I take it he would have been serious then.

Going by the events in OSM, Roy and Claudia definitely know each other by the time Zero takes place. From what I figure from the timeline, Roy and Claudia probably first met sometime in 2006. The United Nations Wars were still going on at that time. The flashback in Rainy Night indicates that Roy was still fighting against the Ant-UN during the earlier mentioned UN Wars.

In the end when Mao is being treated on the Asuka, where are Roy and DD? :blink:

As for the armoured Zero being cell-animed, my guess is that it was too difficult to render it in CG. Probably just for that one sequence where it opens up its missile bays and lets loose, they would've been pretty hard to do so they decided to stick with cell-animation for that.

I disagree that it would have been too hard to render the Armored VF-0S in CG.

I've seen examples of CG rendered Armored GBP-1S in the opening FMV for various Macross console and PC games and they look fine.

I'm thinking it was more likely due to budget and/or time constraints.

Graham

In the end when Mao is being treated on the Asuka, where are Roy and DD? :blink:

They had flown off still in the middle of their dogfight.

Based on the original series, it seemed Roy and Claudia met while stationed at the same base during the Anti-Unification war, but weren't all that serious. They then were seperated by assignments and didn't see each other again until they met up again on Macross Island...wasn't that just before Roy started test piloting the VF-1? I seem to recall they mentioned that several pilots had died test piloting it, Roy was drunk and worried, and wound up calling Claudia.

(Some M+ spoilers in white below. Highlight text to read.)

I wonder, does anyone else see a similarity between the "Sharon" symbol at the bottom of this post, the virtual giant bird which appears superimposed on the Macross as it emerges and which Sharon flies around on when she's taking over Macross city at the end of Macross Plus, the "birdman" symbols/staffs used on Mayan, and the AFOS (especially the premonition of it flying that Sara has during Episode 1)?

Is this just a case of an artist who likes certain visual elements, or is it further evidence that the "birdman" shape of the VF's--and the storm attacker Macross!--isn't just a coincidence but somehow inherited as a "racial memory" from the Protoculture, and connected to the "power of song"/anima spiritia theme that also runs through the Macross franchise?

post-2-1071280350.jpg

The only thing that stroked me was that the Sharon Apple symbol, icon, whatev, is the same as the Anti-UN symbol!!!!!

I never noticed that one before. :lol:

I just love artistic in-jokes.

Holy crap.

In jokes are great :lol: Nice catch.

Insert way out there plot tie in - Sharon's designer whatshismane was an Anti-UN sympathizer and that was one reason he set Sharon loose to screw up the works :lol:

Back to the "what is behind Nora" topic, I took a new pic (found I could use my dvd player software to play the file and get a screen cap), and it looks like a VF-0 to me. The front is clearly white, and headed for Nora instead of the ship, in this pic.

post-2-1071289084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

As for the armoured Zero being cell-animed, my guess is that it was too difficult to render it in CG.  Probably just for that one sequence where it opens up its missile bays and lets loose, they would've been pretty hard to do so they decided to stick with cell-animation for that. 

I disagree that it would have been too hard to render the Armored VF-0S in CG.

I've seen examples of CG rendered Armored GBP-1S in the opening FMV for various Macross console and PC games and they look fine.

I'm thinking it was more likely due to budget and/or time constraints.

Graham

wouldn't cell animation take more time than CG?

That really depends, as CG is a tricky beast. Good CG is actually more difficult to produce than good cel animation, which is one of the reasons why there's really not much good CG out there.

Also, in the scenes with the cel animated armoured VF-0, there wasn't a lot of animation dor the duration of the scene. There were several shots of an unanimated or barely animated picture of the VF-0, broken up by some short, yet beautifully animated moments. That kind of cheating makes the process a lot easier, and a lot less time consuming.

Overall, I'm happy with the cel animated mecha sequences in the show so far. Some short sequences have been jarring and poorly animated (only two actually come to mind for me), but others have been downright beautiful, looking better than the CG elements...and usually it takes a moment to realize the transition. I absolutely loved D.D. forcing his way through the door. Whoever said it was right, it really does remind me of that screne from Transformers the movie.

The symbol of the two snakes even appeared in ancient times.

"I see the throne of the world. One single chair twenty-three feet off the

ground, studded with seventeen rubies, and brooding over it the serpent

swallowing its tail, the Rosy Cross and the Eye. I see that throne and know

that I alone am to ascend it and occupy it forever."

-- Winifred Saure

Ok this may have been covered after 11 pages but....

The story of how man began, it's alot like adam and eve of course but the second part of that story is the bird man cut off his head and from the blood a woman was formed. Now does this mean there was a woman pilot that mated with Rooy and that is the reason for the evolutionary jump or that she just happened to stay behind after altering man. I believe it also said in the story that she returned to space and upon her return there would be great destruction.

Anyways the whole reason I ask is the floating head in the sea apparently waiting to be placed atop the body.

If it is placed upon the body. Could this be the very thing that alerts the Zentreadi to the pressence of the Macross on the planet?

I don't remember what was the reason for them coming to earth in SDF Macross. I only have the Robotech version to go on.

Don't worry though but this christmas I'm getting the original series on DVD. Have everything else, its about time I had the original story. Well at least the first boxset anyway till more money comes in.

Could this be the very thing that alerts the Zentreadi to the pressence of the Macross on the planet?

I don't remember what was the reason for them coming to earth in SDF Macross. I only have the Robotech version to go on.

No. The Zentradi just traced a fold reaction to our solar system and began looking for any Supervision Army survivors. Nothing triggered/alerted anything.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...2009/index.html

The symbol of the two snakes even appeared in ancient times.

Correct, the caduceus was carried by Hermes/Mercury, who in addition to being the messenger of the gods, was also associated with magic and the occult. He has been identified with the Egyptian god Thoth (at least according various occultists/mystics). Thoth, by the way, was most often depicted by the Egyptians as a man with the head of an ibis.

(I just found out by doing a little reading that the caduceus of Mercury is different from the staff of Aesculapius, the Greco-Roman god of medicine; nevertheless, for some reason, modern medical organizations have often chosen the caduceus instead of the single-snake Aesculapian staff as their symbol.)

No. The Zentradi just traced a fold reaction to our solar system and began looking for any Supervision Army survivors. Nothing triggered/alerted anything.

Yup. At least according to the TV continuity. But maybe Kawamori is going to use some of the DYRL continuity after all. That bit about the bird man and the woman that Backstabber just mentioned (I don't recall the details myself) is reminiscent of the Zentran/Meltran split, and the idea of a female pilot "returning", accompanied by global destruction, sounds a bit like the plot of DYRL.

What??? The Mac 0 thread is way in the second page?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm late in the game... just saw it! (Thanks Brian!)

Skipped all the hocus pocus/cradle robbing love triangle crap and moved straight into the action.

I'm not going to watch the story until the whole thing is out, because so far it hasn't been all that impressive and maybe it'll be better in one shot. Otherwise the battle is the SHIZNET!!!! Just when the last 2 eps. blows you away the new one does one up! Amazing destroid/armored VF-0 battle. And the Nora/Shin exchange was badass! Shin got his ass kicked. He should have stayed in the F-14, it would have been less expensive for the UN. :p