Macross Zero Episode 3

MacrossX

Does Nanashi have a listing of the armarments for the Asuka-class Carrier?

Besides the Cheyenne Destroids near the bridge does the ship have any other Surface to Air artillery?

It seems like Nora or DD could have taken out the bridge anytime they wanted to. I know they were trying to retrieve the AFOS but they could have taken care of the bridge crew (gotta love the Asuka's bridge bunnies) IF needed. :ph34r:

And yes, it does appear that something is chasing Nora. But its not firing. So why wouldnt it just be another SV-51? That makes the most sense to me.

Difficult to tell from that screen grab, but to me it looks like a sea-skimming anti-ship missile about to hit the Asuka.

Yes it is difficult to tell with screenshots. Watch the scene and pay attention to the object I've highlighted in the screenshots. It is a fighter (whether VF or Ghost, I don't know...I can't tell, thank you exploding destroid...)

Does Nanashi have a listing of the armarments for the Asuka-class Carrier?

Besides the Cheyenne Destroids near the bridge does the ship have any other Surface to Air artillery?

It seems like Nora or DD could have taken out the bridge anytime they wanted to. I know they were trying to retrieve the AFOS but they could have taken care of the bridge crew (gotta love the Asuka's bridge bunnies) IF needed. :ph34r:

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...a_ii/index.html

Too dangerous to target the bridge. Don't you know that's one of the rules of anime, if you blow up the bridge, the whole ship will explode :p

Graham

It seems like Nora or DD could have taken out the bridge anytime they wanted to. I know they were trying to retrieve the AFOS but they could have taken care of the bridge crew (gotta love the Asuka's bridge bunnies) IF needed.  :ph34r:

Too dangerous to target the bridge. Don't you know that's one of the rules of anime, if you blow up the bridge, the whole ship will explode :p

Graham

Beside the ship is really fought from CIC nowadays not the bridge, they might lose rudder control for a few minutes but other than killing the bridge officers and crewmen not much would be gained.

Could the circled object be a Harpoon or Excocet, luanched as Nora and DD were coming in, there's no reason why the SV-51s couldn't carry conventinal odanamce.

Edited by Coota0

Could the circled object be a Harpoon or Excocet, luanched as Nora and DD were coming in, there's no reason why the SV-51s couldn't carry conventinal odanamce.

That's what I think, it's a sea skimming anti-ship missile.

Also, you do see Nora and D.D.'s SV-51s carrying and launching 2 sea-skimming anti-ship missiles each, which they target against an Aegis cruiser. Two of the missiles get stopped by the ship's defences, but two get through and take out the Aegis.

Graham

Ok, a few afterthoughts.

I only got to watch the episode once so far.. The copy I aquired is at my friends house, so I cant take any screenies myself. Could someone take a screen of the Missile Pod equipped Cheyenne?

"Variants include an anti-air missile Destroid type with two large missile pods similar to the SDR-04-Mk XII Destroid Phalanx."

I remember seeing it in the episode, in the carrier battle scene. Maybe it was just my imagination. But I could have sworn I saw it. Can any get a picture for visual reference?

Also.. Check this pic out.

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/img...ctos-photo6.jpg

The Anti-UN amphibious destroids start attacking the beach - with infantry support. Are we to assume these destroids have integrated some sort of APC functionality also? A sort of, ludicrously all purpose destroid? It seems the only answer. They were the only vehicles assaulting the beach, so therefore, they must have been the ones carrying the infantry. But.. Where in the hell is the infantry compartment on that thing? I dunno. Maybe Im thinking about it too much.

-BEN-MAN-

The Anti-UN amphibious destroids start attacking the beach - with infantry support. Are we to assume these destroids have integrated some sort of APC functionality also? A sort of, ludicrously all purpose destroid? It seems the only answer. They were the only vehicles assaulting the beach, so therefore, they must have been the ones carrying the infantry. But.. Where in the hell is the infantry compartment on that thing? I dunno. Maybe Im thinking about it too much.

-BEN-MAN-

Actually, that's an excellent point about the infantry.

So not only does the Anti-UN Destroid have to store that big gun and missile pod, but also carry infantry!

When we first see it underwater stealing the AFOS head, it doesn't seem that large, certainly not large enough IMO.

Graham

erh, corrections,, instead of a total of 8 sv-51,, it seems there's at least a total of 11 shown before they start their attack run, could be even 14 if DD and Nora is in the middle.

At one shot it shows DD in the foreground then Nora and then a set of 3 SV-51 and another set of 3 ( very small). All of these are on the left side of DD and Nora. Then on the next scene it show 3 more on the rear right of DD so it total up to 11, but there could even be 3 more to make a "2 middle and 6 on each side formation" :rolleyes:

On the Bridge of Asuka they even reported "enemy count 10" and this is when at least one SV-51 is distroyed. so that mean it have to be more than 8. This is a all out attack on on the ships and the island.

so many SV-51 :(

At the end it looked like it was all calm around the Asuka. I wonder what happened with DD and Focker.... And if the Anti-UN has Shin, Sara, and I'm assuming the AFOS' head (I'm sure they had time to capture it if Nora had the time to get in an Anti-UN destroid and find Shin)...I can't imagine how this will all end....

Edited by Oihan

Well, in episode # 4, they better bloody well answer the question of where all the VF-0's were when this attack was taking place, otherwise I will be most pissed off.

Graham

Chances are it shall remain one of those most frustrating plot holes.

I think that the UN Fleet is very poorly maintained.

I get the feeling that the Asuka doesnt have all that many fighters on board. Maybe only a dozen onboard at all times.

10 SV-51s came in to attack the Asuka, and the Asuka scrambled what few fighters it could to attack the main group of planes, unbeknownst to them, the main threat was the small fighter group led by DD and Nora, which succeeded in penetrating the fleets perimeter and attacking the Asuka herself, which, the UN thought would be adequately protected by the awesome Cheyene Anti Air Robots, but it wasnt. As the SV-51's laid waste to the Destroids, Fokker, who had stayed on board the Asuka in case of absolute emergency, hurriedly dons the GBP-0 armor onto his trusty VF-0S, and engages DD, as the only Variable Fighter defending the Asuka at the time.

Makes sense to me... This is just my extrapolation though.

-BEN-MAN-

I get the feeling that the Asuka doesnt have all that many fighters on board. Maybe only a dozen onboard at all times.

10 SV-51s came in to attack the Asuka, and the Asuka scrambled what few fighters it could to attack the main group of planes, unbeknownst to them, the main threat was the small fighter group led by DD and Nora, which succeeded in penetrating the fleets perimeter and attacking the Asuka herself, which, the UN thought would be adequately protected by the awesome Cheyene Anti Air Robots, but it wasnt. As the SV-51's laid waste to the Destroids, Fokker, who had stayed on board the Asuka in case of absolute emergency, hurriedly dons the GBP-0 armor onto his trusty VF-0S, and engages DD, as the only Variable Fighter defending the Asuka at the time.

-BEN-MAN-

I think you'e being a little hard on the U.N. Navy. First that lab that they're keeping the "Birdman" in looks huge and probably takes up a good portion of the hanger deck, so maybe instead of a full air wing you can only carry a squadron of VF-0s, some UCAVs and the other aircraft you need to keep a arrier going (S-3s, SH-60s, E-2s etc.) Second you have to remeber that Earth has been at war for almost a decade whish causes problems, almost constant use of ships for one.

Question: In the first episode we see that the Anti-UN is using MiGs in concert with they're SV-51s, do they continue that, Basiaclly using MiGs as cannon fodder to draw off defenders before attaxking with the SV-51s? And do you think the U.N. continues the use of convetinal aircraft with the VF-0s, obvioulsy they do in other parts of the world because there are no VF-0s, but what about in the Islands where the series takes place?

...Also I would like MORE of a connection to the original, because what's the point of history that doesn't go anywhere?

I thought ep. 3 was awesome!

I feel the same way, they haven't really connect any of this to the ASS-1 which after all is the event that triggers everything.

If this series finishes on the island whith Shin and Co just jerkin their dicks on around some fukin old junk in the ocean, I will be really dissapointed... the whole point of doing research on the island is to try to figure out the origins of the ASS-1.

10 SV-51s came in to attack the Asuka, and the Asuka scrambled what few fighters it could to attack the main group of planes, unbeknownst to them, the main threat was the small fighter group led by DD and Nora, which succeeded in penetrating the fleets perimeter and attacking the Asuka herself, which, the UN thought would be adequately protected by the awesome Cheyene Anti Air Robots, but it wasnt. As the SV-51's laid waste to the Destroids, Fokker, who had stayed  on board the Asuka in case of absolute emergency, hurriedly dons the GBP-0 armor onto his trusty VF-0S, and engages DD, as the only Variable Fighter defending the Asuka at the time.

-BEN-MAN-

I think you'e being a little hard on the U.N. Navy. First that lab that they're keeping the "Birdman" in looks huge and probably takes up a good portion of the hanger deck, so maybe instead of a full air wing you can only carry a squadron of VF-0s, some UCAVs and the other aircraft you need to keep a arrier going (S-3s, SH-60s, E-2s etc.) Second you have to remeber that Earth has been at war for almost a decade whish causes problems, almost constant use of ships for one.

Question: In the first episode we see that the Anti-UN is using MiGs in concert with they're SV-51s, do they continue that, Basiaclly using MiGs as cannon fodder to draw off defenders before attaxking with the SV-51s? And do you think the U.N. continues the use of convetinal aircraft with the VF-0s, obvioulsy they do in other parts of the world because there are no VF-0s, but what about in the Islands where the series takes place?

Probably not as the ASKA was the latest and greatest. Remember the last carrier that was in the area with conventional weaponry was blown right out of the water (ep1). Secondly you have to remember than the VF-0 fleet itself was rushed into production and consisted of a small number; only 30 or some planes. Then you figure DD and Nora probably killed a whole grip of them in the first two episodes so basically you have anything remaining to defend the fleet. Focker's about the only guy able to compete with Nora and DD, but they've got him suited up in the Armor, so basically everything else that the UN sent up was flying cattle. It was also the anti-UN who first had posession of the variable fighter technology, so there's no surprise that their ships and pilots are better. It's assumed that while DD took on the destroids, Nora blasted them out of the sky. Then there's an unwritten rule somewhere that a destroid will NEVER be a match for a variable fighter and that any unmanned fighters called "GHOSTS" will always be shot down no matter what.

I finnally understand what the hell the islanders mean by ¨Kadun¨ , it´s simply ¨artifacts¨ , the guns and the APHOS itself are mentioned as Kaduns but they´re realted to different concepts i.e. guns are Kaduns of fire.

From what I've gathered, "Kadun" is basically their word for Demon. Sara's always talking about them as though they're supernatural things that can be invoked by curses and such.

I think so too. Sara tells Shin not to tell anyone "Otherwise... I will invoke Kadun curses upon you".

Yes, at approx. 22:52, when Mao has regressed and is curled up in a fetal position, the old Mayan man says "Mao carries the Kadun of conflict." Kadun isn't artifact, but a spirit or demon.

By the way, where is Edgar at the end? We see two parachutes as the VF-0D goes down, then the next thing we know Shin is running through the forest--apparently going to the shrine, since he meets Sara there. What he wants to do there is obscure. He doesn't seem to give the E-man a second thought.

That's what I think, it's a sea skimming anti-ship missile.

Also, you do see Nora and D.D.'s SV-51s carrying and launching 2 sea-skimming anti-ship missiles each, which they target against an Aegis cruiser. Two of the missiles get stopped by the ship's defences, but two get through and take out the Aegis.

Graham

A little correction. If you watch carefully in the part where the camera is following the 4 missiles in, you will see that 3 of them gets shot down and only 1 reaches its target. The third missile was awfully close though and didn't get blown up until it was almost at the destroyer, hence making it seem like it hit its target.

My guess is that it's either a Ghost or a Valk that somehow made it back by itself, and Nora did say "They're behind us?" right when the mystery fighter appeared.

Also, I have a new-found love for Destroids. My jaw completely dropped when the "turret" popped open and the Destroid flew out! But then my jaw just fell off when I saw the "rollers" pop out and the Destroid "skating" across the deck! How cool is that? Man, those things were just so nimble.

And it is sad to see the Destroid as nothing more then cannon fodder, so much potential. I don't think it had a fair fight against the anti-UN destroids, as the Cheyenne appears to be designed as a point-defense component (it's mini-guns aren't the most accurate thing in the world). But give them credit, they did shoot down all the SV-51s besides D.D. and Nora.

Edited by Winkle

By the way, where is Edgar at the end? We see two parachutes as the VF-0D goes down, then the next thing we know Shin is running through the forest--apparently going to the shrine, since he meets Sara there. What he wants to do there is obscure. He doesn't seem to give the E-man a second thought.

My guess would be that they were split up after ejecting, Shin is being shot at when we see him, so he didn't have time to try and find Edgar.

Shin was being shot at, so was running. I'm sure he wondered where Edgar landed, but couldn't do anything about it. Their chutes were a fair ways apart as they descended.

As you can see, something is tailing Nora when DD and Nora break coming at Asuka.

Re-watching the piece, it looks to me like a VF-0 coming in from behind. The way Nora says They're behind me seems to me the valks were around. Ther reference to taking care of these bugs was for the destroids. Also in the sky away from the turret fire you see other explosions and stuff in the air, leading me to think there were 0's and 51's fighting in the air anyway. Just like usual they focus on the main character's points of view. Just like in DYRL focusing on Roy, Hikaru, Max, and Kakizaki, never really showing the rest of Skull that often. Roy likely stayed behind to guard the AFOS knowing DD was coming and they decked him out in the armor so he could fry DD when he showed up. DD and Nora were the only SV-51's that really broke through the grid and got near the carrier.

Anyone else notice Nora do DD's trick from Episode 2, extending her valk's head past the edge of the deck and reaching over with the gun to take shots at Roy's armor. If I could get a screen grab I would, but I don't have an app to do it with media player.

Edited by Anubis

Anyone else notice Nora do DD's trick from Episode 2, extending her valk's head past the edge of the deck and reaching over with the gun to take shots at Roy's armor. If I could get a screen grab I would, but I don't have an app to do it with media player.

I watched that scene again and I'm positive that it is D.D. who pulls that off and not Nora.

If you watch, you see D.D. go under the deck, and telling Nora to get into "Formation D", and you see a SV-51 (presemably Nora's) fly around Roy to destract him as D.D. puts his up over the deck to fire at Roy.

Anyone else notice Nora do DD's trick from Episode 2, extending her valk's head past the edge of the deck and reaching over with the gun to take shots at Roy's armor.  If I could get a screen grab I would, but I don't have an app to do it with media player.

I watched that scene again and I'm positive that it is D.D. who pulls that off and not Nora.

If you watch, you see D.D. go under the deck, and telling Nora to get into "Formation D", and you see a SV-51 (presemably Nora's) fly around Roy to destract him as D.D. puts his up over the deck to fire at Roy.

Never mind, it was DD. Watched the piece a few more times to check. The light from the fire reflecting off the paint made it look like hers for a sec.

I still like that trick.

It must be DD's signature move, cause I spotted him do it a few times during that carrier fight. He took shots on the destroids like that too.

They must really be trying to show the benefits of Gerwalk mode in this OVA series, to quell any disbelievers.

Edited by Anubis

Damn, watched it just few minutes ago and that was by far one of the best of the 5 so far...

SPOILERS:

I mean wow...Atleast Shin gets a bit of revenge from the last battle and crap...but his poor Valkyrie went caputs...and now I'm really thinking, "The Macross is actually alive?" DNA samples from the ASS1 0_o...that's just...well CREEPY!

Well, just watched the episode and gotta say it was good, but I definitely wouldn't want to be a Cheyenne pilot. I mean their life expectancy in battle is so very low. Granted, I didn't expect them to stand up that well in battle against SV-51's, but against other destroids they were getting plastered. It looked like they couldn't even take out one of those amphibious destroids that landed on the beach... I wonder how other Destroids would fair in the conditions the Cheyenne was put in, I'm thinking that if Tomahawks or Sparans were guarding that island they could have maybe held it, or at very least taken out a couple of those enemy destroids...

I wonder how other Destroids would fair in the conditions the Cheyenne was put in, I'm thinking that if Tomahawks or Sparans were guarding that island they could have maybe held it, or at very least taken out a couple of those enemy destroids...

Well , I´d assume the spartan would kick the hell out of those Anti-UN Octos , don´t know about the Tomahawks though , they aren´t as versatile as the Spartans.

The Macross is actually alive?" DNA samples from the ASS1 0_o...that's just...well CREEPY!

Ok , I don´t know if there were any specimens left (be it Zentrans , Meltrans or PC ) in the ASS-1 but based on the fact that the VF were built to fight against giants I would assume they had something like blood or corpses left in the ASS-1 to base this idea on, at the very least some blood.

Well, just watched the episode and gotta say it was good, but I definitely wouldn't want to be a Cheyenne pilot. I mean their life expectancy in battle is so very low. Granted, I didn't expect them to stand up that well in battle against SV-51's, but against other destroids they were getting plastered. It looked like they couldn't even take out one of those amphibious destroids that landed on the beach... I wonder how other Destroids would fair in the conditions the Cheyenne was put in, I'm thinking that if Tomahawks or Sparans were guarding that island they could have maybe held it, or at very least taken out a couple of those enemy destroids...

Don't think it was a fair fight.

The octos were submerged for most of the fight, only popping their cannons/guns out of the water to take shots at the Cheyennes. The Cheyennes had a tougher time trying to hit their underwater targets, and judging by their weapons I don't think they had the same range as the octos, their cannons seemed to be more suitable for long-ranged combat.

Also, I have a new-found love for Destroids. My jaw completely dropped when the "turret" popped open and the Destroid flew out! But then my jaw just fell off when I saw the "rollers" pop out and the Destroid "skating" across the deck! How cool is that? Man, those things were just so nimble.

I was floored by those Destroids, too. I never cared for those things in the original series because they never did anything but sit in one place and get blown up with one shot. The Mac0 destroids were kicking ass and putting on the moves. I was actually sad when they got destroyed because they were so cool. I was even more blown away when the armored vf-0 busted out and shoved that sv-51 out of the ship. Heck, I was blown away with everything that followed that as well.

I have zero complaints with Mac0 so far. I'm not too concerned with how it ends. For me, I don't really like the idea of prequels - after thoughts trying to tie into something that was created long ago. So I am just watching Mac0 as a person who never seen Macross. In other words, I'm just following the story and enjoying every beautiful frame of animation.

I sure hope the release the whole series on DVD in the states with audio options, extras, etc.

Fantastic episode! I loved the firepower the carrier group puts up (reminded me of that moment in Band of Brothers when the planes carrying the paratroops break through the clouds and just see tracers lighting up the sky in an impregnable chaos of bullets).

DD and Nora are some damn good pilots... I wonder how good they would be if this was a video game set on HARD!

Did anyone notice that, contrary to previous statements I've heard here, the VF-0 are indeed designed to work in space?

Did anyone notice that, contrary to previous statements I've heard here, the VF-0 are indeed designed to work in space?

No surprise, I think that's been known for some time.

The VF-0 is nothing more then a VF-1 with a conventional engine instead of a thermonuclear powerplant. The Zero was a prototype platform to test the technology for VF-1 but the thermonuclear engine never made it in time so they slapped on a regular engine instead.