Macross Zero Episode 3

MacrossX

Not exactly. We've had it back and forth a bit over how the VF-0 and VF-1 relate to each other, but there's never been any question that the VF-0 is a significantly different airframe. It has a similar layout, but it's larger and has a different profile.

I was surprised to see that the VF-0 is designed for space. It could mean, as you suggest, that the VF-0 was intended to incorporate the spacegoing technology used in the VF-1 design, and possibly even be used in space trials. But it also lends weight to the theory that the VF-0 was intended to be used for continued testing of advanced VF technology beyond the VF-1. (I don't happen to agree with that theory, but I have to admit the point.)

From what I read it sounds like some kind of signal that only the otm powered Cyclops radar can detect. Once the cyclops was developed, they found that the Macross gave out this PCS reaction and a little later, the same reaction was found coming from the bottom of the ocean near Mayan. Probably stands for Proto Culture... somethingorother. Signature?

Erm, jus wanna c if anyone has the same perception as me...

In Ep03, did ya feel the "armored Valkyrie" that Roy was piloting, seemed 2D form?? COs the rest i.e SV and other VF-0 were 3 dimensional.

Anyone noticed this? :D

I felt the same thing...though I thought maybe it was the darkness of the scene...

Erm, jus wanna c if anyone has the same perception as me...

In Ep03, did ya feel the "armored Valkyrie" that Roy was piloting, seemed 2D form?? COs the rest i.e SV and other VF-0 were 3 dimensional.

Anyone noticed this? :D

I believe that was discussed earlier in this thread.

The reason for that is becuase the armored VF-0S was done using traditional cel animation (hand drawn), whereas the other mecha are being done by CGI.

You can really see this after the reactive armor is blown off, and you see a (really crappily drawn) VF-0S laying on its back, but then it gets up, and blasts off into the air to engage Ivanov's SV-51, and it all of the sudden is nice and clean and sharp and 3D = CGI.

From what I read it sounds like some kind of signal that only the otm powered Cyclops radar can detect. Once the cyclops was developed, they found that the Macross gave out this PCS reaction and a little later, the same reaction was found coming from the bottom of the ocean near Mayan. Probably stands for Proto Culture... somethingorother. Signature?

Thanks to imode and others who responded. I doubt PCS stands for "protoculture [anything]", though (at least officially) since Aries is the only one up to now who actually believes in the protoculture theory.

You can really see this after the reactive armor is blown off, and you see a (really crappily drawn) VF-0S laying on its back, but then it gets up, and blasts off into the air to engage Ivanov's SV-51, and it all of the sudden is nice and clean and sharp and 3D = CGI.

Yeah, I just couldn't hardly believe how bad that scene looked, esp compared to the rest of the show.

little quick note,i would like to mention about the Zero. When edgar is telling shin, he only mentions that the zero can work in space/underwater for a few mins, i doubt it was designed to do so,for anything but trials for technology used in the vf-1.

and damn the Asuka fleet got creamed, but i think Sempai is gonna lay some ass kicking down,in ep 4.i hope.

and yay for desteroids.

otherwise,i thought the ep was excelent.

im going to go back and watch the raw when i get sometime,without subs,just to check if the translations are correct. cause the whole "same DNA as the ASS-1" doesnt sit well with me, the ASS-1 is a supervision army ship,i highly doubt it has any bioorganic componets.. however its too late right now for me to think coherently,especally in a diffrent languige.

otherwise,i thought the ep was excelent.

im going to go back and watch the raw when i get sometime,without subs,just to check if the translations are correct. cause the whole "same DNA as the ASS-1" doesnt sit well with me, the ASS-1 is a supervision army ship,i highly doubt it has any bioorganic componets.. however its too late right now for me to think coherently,especally in a diffrent languige.

Er, why does it matter if it has subs or not? The japanese language track is still there...

:blink:

Just wondering if the VF-0 is fitted with a Cyclops radar or only a conventional radar.

I've also been wondering what exactly a Cyclops radar does?

Graham

With teh SV-51's active stealth, and the VF-0s not being able to pick them up, I'd say they had convetional radar. Of Course I could be wrong too. :huh:

and damn the Asuka fleet got creamed, but i think Sempai is gonna lay some ass kicking down,in ep 4.i hope.

Nah, he's gonna die. I can just see it:

Edgar: "They killed Roy!"

Shin: "You bastards!"

But then, somehow, he's back in Super Dimension Fortress Macross...only to die again. (Bastards!)

Edited by ewilen

Yea uhh.. put me in the category of "one of the two guys that doesn't like Macross Zero."

The whole series just does nothing for me. Bad character design, poor artwork, bad music (what were they thinking? Where's Yoko Kanno? I'm spoiled), insipid storyline (And what was that about the Alien thingy having the same "DNA" as the ASS-1? ASS-1 = Macross = INORGANIC. I'm guessing bad translation on that one, or I'm just dumb and I misread it).

There's simply nothing compelling or interesting about this story. It just seems like another average animation series released to make money off Macross.

If they had just stuck to making a simple story about the Anti-Unification Wars, it would have been 1,000,000 times better.

The only positive points are the CG battles and the awesome cameo appearance of Chikyuu Shoujyo ARJUNA on the TV (its the program the people on the island were watching)

And you know when thats all you have going for you that something is amiss.

Throw it in the pile with Macross II and 7... sigh.

(oh, and for what its worth, its probably a PROTODEVILN! HAAHAHAHA :p How lame.)

Just wondering if the VF-0 is fitted with a Cyclops radar or only a conventional radar.

I've also been wondering what exactly a Cyclops radar does?

Graham

Probably some fancy mumbo jumbo like picking up distortions in space-time. I think I remember seeing it labeled as a Cross Dimensional Radar in episode 1.

Not really practical against little fighter airplanes, unless they happen to give out a PCS signature (whatever it is...) as well.

Er, why does it matter if it has subs or not? The japanese language track is still there...

Well, its more of a personal thing, after 2 and 1/2 years of japanese classes, sometimes while watching subbed anime, at times i overly focus on reading the subs,as opposed to listening to the dialog for meaning. mostly late at night tho,when my brains too fried to think.which was the case with zero ep 3.

now to get back on topic. is it me,or is all of the anti-un mecha,rediclously practical. while the Spacy's mac-0 mecha designed with more of an experimental purpose in mind(VF-0 being a rushed testbed/anti-un mecha counter etc) however i think the chyenne destroid,is pretty damn spiffy for plantary based combat, a shame it didnt have the room to really kick some ass but i was impressed. the anti-un destroids however... anphibious/land based, carry infantry. man those suckers are nasty. hope we get to see more of em.

Shin was Purple One, meaning he was not yet a Max but more then a Hikaru. Well, he recieved the worst part of them: he blowed up his planes and nearly got stabbed by his wannabe-girlfriend, who by the way was the only girl in the show who didn't manage to kick his ass or to punch some fingers through it :D

I really love Zero, I just hope they will make a movie edition where the mechas are always CG :)

By the way, I suppose ASS-1 DNA came from remains of corpses or blood found inside the ship, not from the ship itself.

FV

By the way, I suppose ASS-1 DNA came from remains of corpses or blood found inside the ship, not from the ship itself.

Well...the blood could have been splattered all over the walls, into every crack and onto the circuits, then yeah, the blood would have come from ASS-1. :p

For what its worth, I think Macross Zero ranks right up there with the best of Macross. Its animation style, music, etc, are all less appealing than all the other Macross series, but it works, so I dont care.

Right now its just a step below Chojikuu Yosai Macross, and Macross 7, my two favorite series ever. Its already very slightly better than Macross Plus in my oppinion.

And what the hell is with Yoko Kano being so popular? Go stuff yer 'crazy music' loving faces into Cowboy Bebop then!! That music worked for Macross Plus, but Im hell damn glad it wasnt used for any other Macross entity.

Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?, Sunset Beach, Ai Wa Nagareru, Holy Lonely Night, My Soul For You, Submarine Street, and countless other Macross songs are far superior to anything in Macross Plus. Far superior. I do like a lot of the tunes in Macross Plus though. They work with the entire setting of it. Doesnt make them /the best/ like a lot of you people think though.

-BEN-MAN-

Personally, I love the character cell animation in Mac Zero. I also love the CG Valk animation.

About the only animation in Mac Zero I don't like is when they cell animate the Valks, it's just so badly done IMO, looks like something from Anime Fiend. I say keep all the VFs in Zero CG only!

I'm also getting to like the BGM in Mac Zero more. I still can't remember it well enough to hum it yet, but at least my OST CD is getting more of a playing now.

While I like the BGM and songs of Mac Plus, I've gotta say I also prefer the music of SDF/DYRL and Mac 7 more than Plus.

Graham

Personally, I love the character cell animation in Mac Zero. I also love the CG Valk animation.

About the only animation in Mac Zero I don't like is when they cell animate the Valks, it's just so badly done IMO, looks like something from Anime Fiend. I say keep all the VFs in Zero CG only!

I agree. If you can cel animate the valks on the level of Macross Plus, then I would much prefer it that way. But as it stands, the cel animation for Macross Zero valks looks so half-assed in comparison to the 3D.

With teh SV-51's active stealth, and the VF-0s not being able to pick them up, I'd say they had convetional radar. Of Course I could be wrong too. :huh:

Hrm... I'm not sure about that. I remember Roy's VF-0 tracking and locking onto that SV-51 he shot down at the end of Ep1. I have a feeling that the Zeros can pick up the SV-51s but I doubt they have a Cyclops radar. My guess would be that D.D.'s SV-51 had a special radar fitted onto it just specifically for that mission.

As for the armoured Zero being cell-animed, my guess is that it was too difficult to render it in CG. Probably just for that one sequence where it opens up its missile bays and lets loose, they would've been pretty hard to do so they decided to stick with cell-animation for that.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with the cell-animation, the quality is fine but I think that watching Mac0 has gotten (or spoiled us) us used to seeing the valks in high-quality CG animation and anything else just looks ugly now by comparison. :)

And I don't think there's anything wrong with the cell-animation, the quality is fine but I think that watching Mac0 has gotten (or spoiled us) us used to seeing the valks in high-quality CG animation and anything else just looks ugly now by comparison. :)

I don't think its so much that as it is the mixing of cel and CG in the same scene/ sequence. Example: when the VF-0D with Shin & company goes underwater it turns from CG(when it is descending from the sky) to cel and then when it is above water it turns back to CG. It looks really bad and half assed.

The characters mixed with CG planes/backgrounds etc looks good to me.

Good episode overall. Edgar's days are numbered lol

I have to wonder why they chose to mix CG and cel animation in the first place. Could the cel animation be a last minute addition or reshoot?

Yep. Shin had better get his dress uniform pressed, because he's gonna need it for the funeral. :D

I have to wonder why they chose to mix CG and cel animation in the first place. Could the cel animation be a last minute addition or reshoot?

Yep. Shin had better get his dress uniform pressed, because he's gonna need it for the funeral. :D

My guess would be production costs. Hell, if it'll cut down on the times between episodes, I'll tolerate it a little bit here and there.