Macross Zero Episode 3

MacrossX

I don't know how much more official you can get with the timeline at the Compendium.... :unsure:

Regardless of how comprehensive it appears to be, the Compendium isn't an official site and thus it can't be treated as one.

Uhhhh... The Macross Compendium IS Official. It has the blessing of Big West. In fact, it is the only site recognized by Big West as being the repository of all reference Macross. All material contained within the Compendium are derived from official sources with zero speculation.

vinnie

And she can either breath under water or don't need much oxygen.

It's obvious that she can breathe underwater, she kissed Shin, and somehow he was able to breathe underwater after she did so. This was evident by the fact that he exhaled all of the oxygen in his lungs, and was swimming without a mask.

But man, why did she have to jam her fingers halfway up Shin's ass?!?!?.

And yeah, that thing that APHOS (Audrey II) released looked like a little tiny version of Britai's ship from TOS, and DYRL.

Because, that's what Japanese kids do to unsuspecting English teachers... Popularly known as the Kanchou, which means enema (Or Captain, or spy, depending on your definition).

I guess it's a Japanese thing.

Oh, yeah, the ep was awesome...

Do we have to wait another year for the next?... jeeeeesus...

Do we have to wait another year for the next?... jeeeeesus...

Next year is technically less than a month away :p

Although IIRC, I seem to remember reading somewhere that ep # 4 is scheduled for release at the end of February, which is not too far away.

Graham

As we know from the Compendium roughly how many SV-51 (30 units) and how many VF-0 (34 units) have been manufactured, somebody should try to carefully watch each episode and keep a running count of how many units of each type we see destroyed each episode. This way, we can keep track of how many units each side has remaining by the end :lol:

Graham

After watching the Infusion fansub...I have more on my mind. Apparently the blue thing is the head of the AFOS. I'm curious now as to where it was heading. And the Protoculture theory is true supposedly. So to say that Protoculture intervened with human evolution? And when Sara says that "if the 'Bird-Man' awakens, the world might be destroyed"...could that be in referrence to the Zentraedi coming to Earth...with Boddole's main fleet annihilating Earth? Don't suppose anyone really has the answer to those questions...but thoughts/opinions?

As we know from the Compendium roughly how many SV-51 (30 units) and how many VF-0 (34 units) have been manufactured, somebody should try to carefully watch each episode and keep a running count of how many units of each type we see destroyed each episode. This way, we can keep track of how many units each side has remaining by the end :lol:

Graham

Well, so far, all I have seen are the SV-51's spanking the ass off of whatever they come near. :lol:

So far however, Nora has shot Shin's ass down twice, though technically this time he did take her with him to some degree.

She really needs to get an ass whooping IMHO. Hopefully Focker will finish off Ivanov, and then come around the next time she's anally raping Shin's VF-0, and make her his beeyotch.

I liked this episode alot more than the last one. Loved the mech battles ,kinda like an Armored Core intro. I'm not a big fan of the switching between cel/CG mechs in the same scene/events. It just looks bad.

Character designs look better and a little more consistent in apearrance unlike ep 2.

So I just finished watching Ep3 all I will say is it was better than ep2, but having the Vf-0 GBP animated instead of CG is odd. The only thing that really bugs me is that the overtechnology is looking really organic, does everthing need to have an eyball in it?

Did anyone see Roy try to kick DD on the deck of Asuka?

Did anyone see Roy try to kick DD on the deck of Asuka?

Heh, Kawamori seems to be hell-bent on keeping these things in Gerwalk for the duration of the series :)

Nice little flip kick there.

On another note however, poor Destroid pilots. They seem to have more mobility than they ever had in Macross DYRL/TV and they still get their asses beat.

Because, that's what Japanese kids do to unsuspecting English teachers... Popularly known as the Kanchou, which means enema (Or Captain, or spy, depending on your definition).

I guess it's a Japanese thing.

I call it the "rear admiral" :D

As for swimming so deep, Mao can swim like a damn shark, so she just dragged shin down there in a flash.

The destroids rocked. I loved how the one was leaning over the side of the deck trying to reach DD. Seems a lot closer to a beefed up dedicated battroid than the usual destroids we're used to seeing.

Where were the Ghosts? Anyone else catch how they broke the sound barrier immediately after take off like that. Those things were hauling ass.

The SV-51 is one agile damned fighter, and these things really are spanking the VF-0's. All the more reason to get the VF-1's in there. The kick flip was nicely done. Nora does need to die, but she is good at what she does.

There was lot of Gerwalk use, but all of kind of justified for what they were doing, either carrying something, or fighting around the carrier.

Lastly, I still have no idea what the hell the AFOS is supposed to be, and how its tied to Mao and Sara so closely.

One question, if the VF-0's are running on conventional engines, how are they supposed to run with the intakes closed? I could buy the VF-1 doing the underwater bit, maybe, and that's a stretch but not the Zero.

Ok , just finished watchiong Ep.3.

One word : AWESOME!

This is What I gathered from the fansub:

The shrine/fountain where Sara conducts the ritual for the bird-people is some kind of receptor that chanels energy for some unknown purpose as seen when the rocks with markings start to float (probably is what made the protoculture ship/turtle shell/Mayan island levitate as well ) notice the other normal rocks do not float at all , just the ones with markings , this stops happening when Sara looses her concentration (she herself is surprised of this spectacle ) and the central rock with the big mark stops ¨shinning¨.

Mao is in no way psychic ,in fact , the APHOS raction (glowing) is not directly related to either Shin or Mao´s presence (the ead just looks at them) , the APHOS´s head is obviously connected to the fountain and reacted to Sara´s emotion when she ¨sees¨ Mao and Shin kissing.

One other thing , I don´t think Mao will really have a role in the love traingle , I know everyone thinks she will because of the kiss and she certainly was exited about it but that wasn´t the reason she kissed him at all , she gave Shin some air so he could breath after losing his breath when looking at the APHOS reaction.

The scene when Sara remembers Aries/Roy mentor extracting a blood sample was quite intriguing , knowing that the proffesor had already been in Mayan and he developed the Protoculture theory (that resulted to be true) I wonder what happend to him afterwards and what he really discovered , also , how much of this does Roy know ? If anything , this chapter really leaves some good questions about the past.

I wasn´t expecting the APHOs head to be independent from its body and seeing it move underwater , worse yet I really wasn´t expecting the Anti-UN to find it or know of its existence. I mean , if it could move wherever it wanted why didn´t the APHOS re-connect to its body ? was it hiding from something ? Zentradis/supervision army maybe ?

I finnally understand what the hell the islanders mean by ¨Kadun¨ , it´s simply ¨artifacts¨ , the guns and the APHOS itself are mentioned as Kaduns but they´re realted to different concepts i.e. guns are Kaduns of fire.

I think that the APHOS is directly related to the evolutionary alteration on humans , all images of the bird people greatly resemble the APHOS , and both sisters refer to it as the ¨bird-man¨meaning it was part of a bigger group , such group is mentioned to be the responsible for the alterations of human evolution , so the APHOS is either a protoculture being or its and artifact used by the protoculture (as in: Zentrans for combat - APHOS for colonisation ).

The for those still wondering about the mechas attacking the shores of Mayan , they were Anti-UN amphibian Destroids not protoculture mechas or anything remotedly stupid like that.

The entrace of DD´s SV into the Asuka was simply spectacular as well as Roy´s , it was a shame he didn´t last as long as wewanted with the GBP-0. Yamato just ought to make a toy of this mechas.

At last Shin is in control of his VF , at least he learned something by himslef by looking at the flying fish. something really interesting was that part where Edgard tells Shin that the Zero was initially designed for limited space use so they coud also go underwater.

Just one little question that bothered me at the end :

Just how the heck did Nora get in the Destroid and who was shooting Shin in the jungle ? there weren´t any soldiers around as far as I know...I hope this time Edgar dies for good :lol:

I finnally understand what the hell the islanders mean by ¨Kadun¨ , it´s simply ¨artifacts¨ , the guns and the APHOS itself are mentioned as Kaduns but they´re realted to different concepts i.e. guns are Kaduns of fire.

From what I've gathered, "Kadun" is basically their word for Demon. Sara's always talking about them as though they're supernatural things that can be invoked by curses and such.

From what I've gathered, "Kadun" is basically their word for Demon. Sara's always talking about them as though they're supernatural things that can be invoked by curses and such.

yeah , I thought that too until I saw Ep.3.

Sara commonly uses this term for ¨evil¨ things or ¨spirits¨ but all of the things she refers to as Kaduns are artifacts (Radio, guns , AFOS). Look closely when she talks about kaduns in Ep.3

I just finsihed watching it. Honestly I thought the first 2 episodes were better. This one seemed shorter and not as interesting story wise as the others. At least to me anyway.

Hmm maybe I should watch it later when I'm feeling better(kinda sick right now).

Edited by Effect

Speculations...,

I'm beginning to get convinced that Mao and Sara are not really humans, but rather real Protoculture people. Prolly the last and only direct descendants of the colonization-group that visited the earth.

I'm beginning to suspect Mao as the one who will be fusing/controlling the completed AFOS. A very angry Mao bent on revenge since she does have feelings for Shin.

Kinda like an updated take on the Plus' theme of Myung and Sharon Apple.

5) Lots of wing flapping by the SV-51s in battroid mode in this episode. What's the purpose? I don't think it can be to create additional lift. I know we discussed this before, but I forget what the consensus was.

The wing flapping. I think this is less a technical detail and more a stylistic one, making the SV's seem more bird like in their motions, thus emphasizing their link to the technology of these so called bird men.

Has it been established that these bird people(have they been given an official name? or are they still just the bird people?) and the zentradi are different? I tend to think they are. The SV being derived from these so called bird people technology, and the VF-0 from Zentradi tech. Remember from episode 2, how nora called the VF-0 a rip off of their design, but Ivanov said that sources pointed to it's design not being derived from the SV.

Graham

This is what I counted, and I am probably off.

SV’s

Episode 1

The one Roy Spanked

Episode 2 non are destroyed

Episode 3

2 are destroyed during the raid on Asuka

VF-0’s

Episode 1 no VF-0s are destroyed.

Episode 2

The one that loses a leg, then while he and Roy are talking gets killed by Ivanov.

Nora kills 2, then she downs the one shin gets into.

Episode 3

Nora Kill’s Shin’s VF-0.

Does anybody else think that the UN forces displayed amazingly bad tactical sense in episode # 3.

I mean the Asuka II and it's support ships are operating in an area where Anti-UN forces are known to be operating, but they do not keep any VF-0 on standing Combat Air Patrol. They should have had at least 2 VF-0 in the air at all times. Neither where there any 'ready' VF-0 on deck for immediate launch.

Was the UN fleet so complacent or just overconfident that their air defences of Destroid Cheyennes and Aegis crusers would be able to stop an attack? Well, they did manage to shoot down 2 out of 5 of the attacking SV-51s, with the loss of one Aegis cruiser, several Destroids and minor damage to the Asuka II.

We know from the Compendium, that the SV-51 has active stealth, so I'm guessing this was how they got so close to the fleet before being detected. Hmm......I'm wondering does the 2008 era active stealth work against Cyclops radar or only conventional radar?

Anyway, just where were all the other VF-0 pilots when the attack was taking place? I mean if Roy had time to get into his VF-0S, why didn't any of the other pilots? Or were they off somewhere else?

And what happened to the 2 Ghosts we saw launching? I'm curious as to where they were headed.

Anyway, despite the UN's tactical blunders, this was still a fantastic episode.

Graham

Anyway, just where were all the other VF-0 pilots when the attack was taking place? I mean if Roy had time to get into his VF-0S, why didn't any of the other pilots? Or were they off somewhere else?

I was thinking the same thing.

Just how the heck did Nora get in the Destroid and who was shooting Shin in the jungle ? there weren´t any soldiers around as far as I know...I hope this time Edgar dies for good :lol:

Actually, was that Nora in the enemy destroid at the end. I'd just assumed it was another female Anti-UN soldier piloting the amphibious variable mecha.

Graham

5) Lots of wing flapping by the SV-51s in battroid mode in this episode. What's the purpose? I don't think it can be to create additional lift. I know we discussed this before, but I forget what the consensus was.

The wing flapping. I think this is less a technical detail and more a stylistic one, making the SV's seem more bird like in their motions, thus emphasizing their link to the technology of these so called bird men.

Has it been established that these bird people(have they been given an official name? or are they still just the bird people?) and the zentradi are different? I tend to think they are. The SV being derived from these so called bird people technology, and the VF-0 from Zentradi tech. Remember from episode 2, how nora called the VF-0 a rip off of their design, but Ivanov said that sources pointed to it's design not being derived from the SV.

I think the flapping is for directing the air thrust from the fans on the back of the Battroid , that and the fact that the SV is able to fold it wings on its back.

The Variable fighter design (both of the Anti-UN and UN) originates from the overtechnology found on the ASS-1 (supervision army NOT exclusively Zentradi), the nations that formed the Anti-UN made their VF design for combat against other VFs from the begining so I´d assume the Anti-UN started their VF development before the UN once the UN proposed to build VFs but the UN didn´t manage to deploy their mass production VF in time for combat against the SVs.

They should have had at least 2 VF-0 in the air at all times. Neither where there any 'ready' VF-0 on deck for immediate launch.

The did have some VF-0s ready for launch after the Ghosts went into the sky (I think they´ll appear in the next Ep).

I'm beginning to get convinced that Mao and Sara are not really humans, but rather real Protoculture people. Prolly the last and only direct descendants of the colonization-group that visited the earth.

I'm beginning to suspect Mao as the one who will be fusing/controlling the completed AFOS. A very angry Mao bent on revenge since she does have feelings for Shin.

Kinda like an updated take on the Plus' theme of Myung and Sharon Apple.

Of course they´re humans , that´s what the protoculture came to develop on earth, humanoids. If the island remained isolated for hundreds if not thousands of years it would be pretty damn diffucult/impossible that the other islanders do not feature the same kind of genes. The only reason that the Sisters are the main focus of all this genetic mystery is because they´re the protagonists of the story and they made contact with Shin first , otherwise you would see someone else being the focus of the scientist´s investigation.

Stop assuming Mao had something to do with the AFOS´s reaction , that was due to Sara´s reaction to Shin and Mao´s kissing. Mao didn´t have anything to do with the AFOS glowing hence she doesn´t have any psychic conection with it. Sara was only able to connect with the AFOS because she was at fountain which seems to be part of the protoculture ruins (overtechnology -- AFOS ).

Edited by Aegis!

Actually, was that Nora in the enemy destroid at the end. I'd just assumed it was another female Anti-UN soldier piloting the amphibious variable mecha.

Graham

Yep that was Nora comming to get Shin, may she die fast in a bloody way like that poor bastard in Gundam Seed ep 29, that would be cool!!! :p

The did have some VF-0s ready for launch after the Ghosts went into the sky (I think they´ll appear in the next Ep).

Yes, when you see the Ghosts launch, there are VF-0s on deck, but later in the episode when the flight of 5 x SV-51's attack, the Asuka II's deck is completely empty.

So maybe all the VF-0's apart from Roy's launched immediately after the Ghosts to go on a mission somewhere else.

Even if this is true, it is incredibly stupid of the UN forces to leave a multi-billion dollar battle group consisting of one aircraft carrier, several Aegis cruisers and other ships(?)so lightly defended with no air cover, when you know the enemy is in the area and has Variable Fighters. Whoever is in command should be court martialed and shot.

Graham

Well maybe the VF-0 and the Ghosts where sent to take the SV-51's down, the SV-51 group may have split in 2 groups, one for the attack and the other to lure in the Zero and the Ghosts, who knows :o But I have to agree with you Graham, it was kinda dumb to leave the battlegroup so poorly defended :angry:

Graham

Yeah, it was Nora.

If the Fansub is even remotely correct, when Shin crashes his dying VF-0 into her SV-51, she calls out

"Shverma 2 to Chome Leader, the got my fuselage, request for rescue!

So, I would surmise from that that the Destroid homed in on her crash site, and came and picked her up.

Also, at the end of the show, when Shin and Sara come eye to eye with Nora in the destroid, she says

"Found you, boy"

I agree the defense around the Asuka was stupid but maybe this will cause a change of command to take place, with the replacement commander being someone from SDF Macross. I guess we'll find out in the next episode. I hope there was some purpose to it if not then...

Having the forces lured away is quite possible but even then there still should have been defending fighters around ready to launch or at least in the air. It could very well be case of them depending to much on the destroids, which would be a huge command mistake which could play into the change of command like I thought before.

Edited by Effect