80's anime fans still here?

Area88

I used to be a long time poster on the Macross World forums. Do we still have any 80's anime fans here?

There used to be such a big community here, I see the forums have changed quite a lot since I've been gone.

I've updated my 80's anime website for the first time in a year but I need suggestions for new entries because I've not watched any anime for a year and I forgot what I had originally planned to put up.

So guys, hit me up with my suggestions, especially new obscure stuff?

Hey, Area88, sometimes these days I think it's just people like me and Danth left... :p I'm sure there's more of us, though.

I love your site, but I agree you need more stuff.

I'll tell you what I'm watching now:

post-1318-0-75041600-1314106094_thumb.jpg

"Hoshineko Full House", directed by Noboru Ishiguro

"Phoenix 2772: Ai no Cosmozone", based on the manga by Tezuka

"SPT Layzner": Did anyone EVER finish subbing this?

Rare stuff you might want to look out for:

post-1318-0-03288400-1314106009_thumb.jpg

"DAIMAJUU GEKITOU: Hagane no Oni": Pre-MacrossII Koichi Ohata designs (including an uber-powerful Gigamesh) battle it out.

"Ladius/LeDeus": Giant robots kicking ass in a fantasy world.

"The Humanoid": Hajime Sorayama fembots... Maybe not that rare, though? I dunno.

Thanks Renato! Thats what I was looking for.

I used to PM Danth all the time about my latest anime findings. Good to hear you and Danth are still going. I've not watched any anime at all in a year.

However I dug out my old laserdisc rip of MD Geist from 2009 and I realised I needed to carry on writing about anime. Half the problem though is I can't remember the stuff I wanted to write about anymore.

I obviously didn't grow up with these anime, but back when the internet was something that existed only in William Gibsons mind, I used to read about it in magazines like Anime UK. Thats given a fondness for all those anime that I never got to see at the time (at least, until the anime 'splosion and the internet escaped from Gibsons brain into reality) and its still my favourite period of anime.

Plus: Ayakawa Madoka. sigh. :)

I used to be a long time poster on the Macross World forums. Do we still have any 80's anime fans here?

There used to be such a big community here, I see the forums have changed quite a lot since I've been gone.

I've updated my 80's anime website for the first time in a year but I need suggestions for new entries because I've not watched any anime for a year and I forgot what I had originally planned to put up.

I'm a big '80s anime fan, but everything I watched back on nth generation VHS tapes is widely available these days...except maybe "Grey: Digital Target," which wasn't all that good...

Big fan of old school anime, love the stories and the atmosphere in 80's anime.

Your website has a lot of stuff I haven't seen, so I'll use it as a bit of guide to check stuff out.

I'm a big '80s anime fan, but everything I watched back on nth generation VHS tapes is widely available these days...except maybe "Grey: Digital Target," which wasn't all that good...

Grey was much better on comic book form.

I was just thinking about how we need a site dedicated to 80s anime. Not just mech stuff, but also things like the original Lodoss cartoon.

I am an 80's anime fan. I'm pretty much a fan of anything 1980's.

I like your site. I am impressed that you have Call Me Tonight listed.

Since your site seems to concentrate on short run anime, I'll suggest some OVAs and movies.

1. Gall Force: Eternal Story (1986), Destruction (1987), & Stardust Memory (1988)

2. Megazone 23 (1985)

3. Crusher Joe (1983), Crusher Joe: Ultimate Weapon Ash (1989)

4. Fight! Iczer-1 (1985-1987)

Edited by Vifam7

This is Macross World a site dedicated to a nearly 30 year old anime (whatever anime is) why wouldn't there still be fan of 1980's anime here?

There's a good chance that they're all gone since there's only 2 people left on MW...

Grey was much better on comic book form.

True. The comic was awesome...as was Karuizawa Syndrome.

Since your site seems to concentrate on short run anime, I'll suggest some OVAs and movies.

1. Gall Force: Eternal Story (1986), Destruction (1987), & Stardust Memory (1988)

2. Megazone 23 (1985)

3. Crusher Joe (1983), Crusher Joe: Ultimate Weapon Ash (1989)

4. Fight! Iczer-1 (1985-1987)

Bah. All well-known and readily available.

There's a good chance that they're all gone since there's only 2 people left on MW...

Why have so many people left? What caused this big exodus?

Big thanks to Vifam 7 for suggesting Megazone 23 and Iczer 1. Those 2 are definte classics. So is the original Appleseed. Wow the shows are all flooding back now. Keep the suggestions up guys.

Also with all these classic anime going OOP, anyone sold off their collections yet? I sold my Macross boxset for $200 last year and other stuff like Arcadia of My Youth went for $100. Absolutly crazy money! I sold off half my collection because of all the cash involved. The demand for OOP dvd's have never been higher.

I'm a bit confused here, are you farming out for people to shop the rest of your collection or what? I'm finding it a bit hard to reconcile the looking for 80's anime fans with selling off your 80's anime DVD's. Especially since I suspect you're keeping some sort of "copies" of those disc's too. But I don't really want to get into that. What I don't see is why you'd want to limit yourself to the 80's. There have been a ton of great series through out the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's & current. The old MW's haven't really gone anywhere, some from AFM never crossed over, a few have dropped off, and I'll be damned if I can keep track of the name changes. But the rest of us are right here, and many keep up iwth the new fangled anime that these kids today are watching!

Big thanks to Vifam 7 for suggesting Megazone 23 and Iczer 1. Those 2 are definte classics. So is the original Appleseed. Wow the shows are all flooding back now. Keep the suggestions up guys.

Old school anime fan here :lol:

I strongly suggest:

1. Metal Skin Panic MADDOX-01

2. Hades Project Zeorymer

3. Detonator Orgun (it's actually from 1991)

Hey there Keith, I've already sold off what I didn't want through Amazon. I came here to catch up since I've not watched any anime for a year.

I agree that there are great shows from every decade, especially the 70's with Roses of Versaille and 90's Neon Genesis Evangelion. The reason I like 80's so much is I love the character designs, music and cel animation from this era. There's just an amazing feeling that comes over me when I watch something like the Appleseed OVA from 1988. I actually think Appleseed will be my next entry on to the site. I love that show so much.

I'm glad a lot of the MW members are still here. You'd be suprised how many forums get shut down. Look at Anime Jump, it's completly gone now!

Hey there Keith, I've already sold off what I didn't want through Amazon. I came here to catch up since I've not watched any anime for a year.

I agree that there are great shows from every decade, especially the 70's with Roses of Versaille and 90's Neon Genesis Evangelion. The reason I like 80's so much is I love the character designs, music and cel animation from this era. There's just an amazing feeling that comes over me when I watch something like the Appleseed OVA from 1988. I actually think Appleseed will be my next entry on to the site. I love that show so much.

I'm glad a lot of the MW members are still here. You'd be suprised how many forums get shut down. Look at Anime Jump, it's completly gone now!

Wow, I barely even remember that anime jump existed to be honest.

aside from Macross, my 80's collection are pretty much just:

• Maison Ikkoku
  • anything based on Mitsuru Adachi manga
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Urusei Yatsura
  • bubblegum crisis/megazone/votoms/gundam/project a-ko/orguss/gunbuster (how can i forget listing GB???)
  • cream lemon :p

outside of that listing, the rest of the 80's anime are meh. imho, of course. :D

Edited by treatment

The best decade for anime imho. I'm currently catching up with Akai Koudan Zillion. I also found Oulanders again, but this time I didn't have to fire ye olde VCR to watch it. If you wanna go waaay back, check out the Legend of Sirius.

Funny you don't mention Riding Bean... lol.

Maybe its on the site already... dunno.

Metal Skin Panic MADDOX-01

Project A-Ko (1st one is the best!)

Area 88 Acts I, II, II

Gall Force

GUNBUSTER

Megazone 23

Mospeada

Riding Bean & Bubblegum Crisis and yes "VENUS WARS"!

To many good Anime series & OVA's from the 80's to mention, but great stuff, awesome animation and attention to detail. B))

Ahem!

Nice to see you're alive, my friend. Can't wait to check out your update when I get home from work.

Hey, Area88, sometimes these days I think it's just people like me and Danth left... :p I'm sure there's more of us, though.

You don't know how much this warms the cockles of my heart, to see my name remembered as a true fan of old-school anime.

Hoshineko Full House looks like a good one. I saw a part of it raw on Nico Nico Douga. Would love to see it subbed.

I used to PM Danth all the time about my latest anime findings. Good to hear you and Danth are still going. I've not watched any anime at all in a year.

Yeah, I miss that! Let me guess, you just got out of jail for selling bootleg copies of your collection. :)

I obviously didn't grow up with these anime, but back when the internet was something that existed only in William Gibsons mind, I used to read about it in magazines like Anime UK. Thats given a fondness for all those anime that I never got to see at the time (at least, until the anime 'splosion and the internet escaped from Gibsons brain into reality) and its still my favourite period of anime.

Wow, you just described me exactly, except that I mainly read Animag and Animerica.

I was just thinking about how we need a site dedicated to 80s anime. Not just mech stuff, but also things like the original Lodoss cartoon.

Damn straight...You know what, I'll get right on that.

Edited by danth

I used to read AnimeUK/FX, too. I like that they obviously knew their stuff and they didn't just talk about things that were readily available domestically.

There was a guy on Youtube called TeamGetter who used to put up tons and tons of hard-to-get 80s shows like Galient and Plawres Sanshiro (much too frequently for me to keep track of!), but unfortunately Bandai Visual kicked him off quite recently.

Danth, if you're serious about that site, let me know when it's set up and I may contribute with some info, since I have a fair bit of data from that period.

LOTTSA LOVE for Dangaioh! Maybe my favorite mecha design. The plot / script were AWFUL, but the animation, designs and even soundtrack were awesome (insert Iczer 1 here too)

I'm still hoping to get a SHE Dangaioh someday...

( p.s. - isn't it 'psychic wave' ?? )

post-8486-0-92377100-1314190564_thumb.jpg

LOTTSA LOVE for Dangaioh! Maybe my favorite mecha design. The plot / script were AWFUL, but the animation, designs and even soundtrack were awesome (insert Iczer 1 here too)

I'm still hoping to get a SHE Dangaioh someday...

( p.s. - isn't it 'psychic wave' ?? )

He's making fun of US Renditions original translation.