Macross Toys holding Value

slaginpit

I get the impression that slaginpit just feels like as an "early adopter" he has been gouged/taken advantage of, which is totally understandable. It's only natural to be disappointed if something you've purchased loses tremendous value in one large crash. The crashing American housing market comes immediately to mind.

That said I bought all the 22s at full price and I have seen them as low as 70%(?) off. While surely I'm a bit disappointed by those particular turn of events I think the piece of mind of not having to wait, hunt and hope I can get such a deal outweighs any other factors for me.

I can understand that, and I can understand some of that frustration, but if you're buying a toy as a toy, and not a collector's item, then it's hard to get disappointed. Same thing for housing. If you buy a house because you want to make money off of it, well...all I can say is, houses are meant to be lived in. You can make money off of them, but that goes with buying wisely. Again, it all comes down to the priorities you put on the Macross toys you buy, or for that matter, just about any toy you buy.

I've never had an issue recouping my money on toys I've bought, but I also don't buy toys for that reason, and so, the value I get for them is justified in my happiness. When people usually ask me "how much is Xxxx worth", my answer is usually "However much someone is willing to pay for it." If you are willing to pay $200 + for a toy, then, that's how much it's worth to you.

The thing here is, most of us do understand your point, but many of us just don't see our collections as monetarily as you do. I've had the Yamato 1/72 lines, the 1/60 v.1s, and some of the Bandai VF-25 v.1s, and I don't have a problem with innovative improvements to them in the future. It's why people bought DVD players after their VHS, and why people buy Blu-ray players now. Most people want better.

As for you being upset seeing an item you bought on sale for much less than what you paid, again, this is my opinion, but maybe you're thinking of these toys in only monetary terms. I don't buy my toys because I expect them to hold all the value the originally had, nor do I buy them to put my future children in school. I buy them because I love them, and love playing with them. I don't see the point in going into a rant because another fan of the franchise will get it for less. I'm just happy that there are people who can get the item, and enjoy it like I do. You maybe the type who either 1) Should wait about a year before buying a new release, or 2) Not buy them at all, as it seems you have a sense of disdain for the toys you have that are on sale.

I have to agree with Jasonc here. I paid premium prices for several of the Valks I purchased when I started collecting. I've recently offed a few and didn't get nearly what I paid for them and I am totally okay with that. Macross toys will undoubtedly hold some monetary value, but it just all depends on the dynamics of the factors that affect collecting. Although I didn't get what I paid for them, I am overjoyed for the next Macross fan getting an awesome deal on a Valk that they can appreciate just as much as I did. I also think it's awesome that HLJ has the sales that allows fans, old and new, the opportunity to add to their collections. It's win-win not just in terms of their tangible cash value. B))

You know I was thinking about this same topic the other day. I thought damn, I spent a ton on these figures, what if I ever wanted to sell them? Am I screwing myself? I have friends come over and ask about different stuff in my collection, then they ask about the prices I paid for some, and they usually call me a moron. It hit me the other day, I really don't give a poo what they're actually worth, what they will be worth, or whatever, I got them for me, I'm a damn nerd and I love it. I really don't see what collector's like us should be contemplating, I'm sure maybe a couple people bought their valks as investments, to sell later, but for the majority we don't plan on selling anything unless we fall on hard times, so basically I see no real purpose in giving anything in my collection a price tag or value.

This may be kind of weird but I actually kind of feel bad about selling used stuff at or above the price I originally payed for it. The way I see it, the price I payed for something is how much it's worth the moment I get it, and from there on out everything I do to it comes out of it's value in the form of enjoyment. To me it's like I'm inadvertently conning the person by getting free enjoyment out of a toy before I pass it along to them.

I am on the side of everyone who agrees that these are toys that are bought for the love of the design and the show they represent....however, with that said...I believe there are a few that have increased in value and have more or less remained valued at more than their original MSRP.....they are fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your whole take on the subject) a select few...

I'll start the list with some that continue to fetch prices above their original MSRP (either due to short runs or current lack of a re-release):

1/48 VF-1A Valkyrie (Low Visibility Color)

1/60 VF-1J Valkyrie (Miria Fallyna Jenius Custom) with Super Parts (2nd Ver.)

1/60 VF-1J Valkyrie (Maximillian Jenius Custom) with Super Parts (2nd Ver.)

1/60 VT-1 Super Ostrich (2nd Ver.)

1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker (2nd Ver.)

1/48 VF-1A Valkyrie (Hayao Kakizaki Macross Chronicles Exclusive) (TV ver.)

1/60 2nd ver VF-1S Low Visibility

1/60 Roy VF-1S Anniversary Edition

1/60 Hikaru VF-1S Anniversary Edition

1/60 VF-1S Max

1/60 VF-X

1/48 VF-1J Stealth with Super/Strike Parts combo set

1/48 VF-1S Valkyrie (H. Ichijo) with Super/Strike Parts (Weathering ver. Macross Chronicles Exclusive)

What do you think?...Any others?

Oh and I just listed Yamato as I am not familiar with the Bandai valks as much...so maybe there are some Bandai releases that can be added to this list?....

Also, I think all of the vintage Macross belong on the list as I am pretty sure you cannot buy any of the original 1/55 Takatoku valks for their original MSRP of 3980 yen....(although they are definitely not demanding what they used to before the Bandai re-releases)....

Edited by jvmacross

A few more come to mind...

1/60 VF-1S Max

1/60 VF-X

...and possibly the Angelbirds...maybe. :mellow:

I don't think the 1/60 v2 angel bird is demanding a high value atm.

I am not sure if the chronicles version makes a difference at all either.

I actually went out of my way to make sure I secured the chronicles releases of the VF-X and the angel bird.

I can't complain that they were re issued at a cheaper price either. I was happy just to have them in my collection, and for a long time before they re released them.

I have never sold any of the valks that I own and don't really plan on it. To me they are all priceless, although I do check around every now and then when I see a piece go up for sale that I have never seen sell.

It's just interesting to see the precedence set on the pricing. Yeah, I spent thousands of dollars on Yamato valks. In the end though it is worth the price for me. I get a warm feeling every time I lay eyes on my collection.

You know I was thinking about this same topic the other day. I thought damn, I spent a ton on these figures, what if I ever wanted to sell them? Am I screwing myself? I have friends come over and ask about different stuff in my collection, then they ask about the prices I paid for some, and they usually call me a moron. It hit me the other day, I really don't give a poo what they're actually worth, what they will be worth, or whatever, I got them for me, I'm a damn nerd and I love it. I really don't see what collector's like us should be contemplating, I'm sure maybe a couple people bought their valks as investments, to sell later, but for the majority we don't plan on selling anything unless we fall on hard times, so basically I see no real purpose in giving anything in my collection a price tag or value.

Damn. That was spot on.

My wife basically told me the same thing recently. And that is awesome. She understands that they make me happy, and she supports that (even if she doesn't understand the hobby itself).

I do have some friends who do NOT understand my collection. Yet, they'll drop 2 grand to get a single ticket for the big football game. In 4 hours, their adventure is over. Mine. Well, they'll stay with me for the rest of my life. (Hopefully).

To each his own, I guess. Point is, do what makes you happy. And if people don't like it, you just gotta be a honey badger.

Edited by ae_productions

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question. I have quite a few Valks from Bandai and Yamato, and recently I was about to push the purchase now button on the Fire Valkyrie by Yamato and it occurred to me. A lot of the Valks on HLJ are now selling for less than half of the original asking price. Why am I letting my impetuous nature dictate the purchase of these things. They have next to 0 holding value unlike a lot of Transformers toys or SOCs. I have decided to wait and watch this thing for a year and then I will buy. I will be looking for the 1/100 bandai version. It just seems sad that none of these toys hold no value. Do you suffer from PPD when you have bought these toys and then a year later you see them at half the price??

And now with Bandai re-releasing new improved versions of the YF-25 and probably doing the whole line I feel a bit cheated. After the first few they could have improved the mold. But they purposely waited to do the whole line on the speculators of collectors not getting better improved versions. Im just tired of the games these companies play.

I think I am done collecting macross stuff for a while and only until see them on major sale or someone is selling a used one.

Just my thought on it

Things being half price is great for people like me who actually want to see them at more reasonable prices. I think what usually happens is when something become rare it goes up in value mainly due to people finding it a nuisance to obtain not because the toy itself is worth the money people demand for it. I bought the 1/48 low visibiity vf-1 when it had come out and it was my first yamato toy and I still to this day like it because it just has a great look to it. But its value to me is more about the toy not what I can get for it when I want to sell it. (not that I would want to)

When better things come along the value of the things that are not as good SHOULD go down imo.

I paid a lot of money for the Beagle Mospeada Ride Armour for example and I could afford to buy this becuae I had the will power to avoid the CMs and Megahouse toys which were cheaper and had bigger range of characters to choose from in their lines. But I don't regret doing this. The value of the toy is more because to me it is the best ride armour out there not because I have an intention to one day get rid of it and hopefully sell it off to a desperate person willing to pay loads of money.

My advice to you is just skip all the stuff you personally have no interest in and only buy the stuff you like.

You tend to appreciate something more when you ignore what others think about it. (ie what value in dollars they will pay to get it off your hands)

Doing this means you are happier as a person because you are not worrying about money, worrying about values of things dropping, or other things like when the next better version is coming around the corner. If you had a choice between going through a drought of toys to buy where money is not scarce but the items are a nuisance to track down, (but getting a lot of value selling rare toys to desperate people if you have them) ....or.... having loads of choice in what to get and doing so at reasonable prices, ....then I would go the latter all the time.

If you are a collector who likes rare stuff, target those releases that have a limited run. Sometimes what happens is when a toy is decided that it will be unpopular, people ignore it and then companies know this so they make only a few of a certain type. Then when those things are no longer easy to find, they jump up in price suddenly because they are not common. Now everyone wants to pay a high price for it to "complete their collection" and be special for having obtained rare things. lol It's a funny cycle.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Most of us are already in our 30s or 40s the 1st gen who grew up with the original series. 2nd gen probably would be the ones who just got in from Macross Frontier. So let's look at your investment this way:

1st gen gets the bullet + collection = Possible trade option for a video game

2nd gen gets the plunge + collection = Same value as a Barbie on a Toys R US shelf in the Discount Section...at best!

Most of us collect for personal value rather than as an investment. Look at comic books for example - People still collect as an investment thinking one of them will be the next Detective Comics #4. Rarely will any comic in this day and age rise like Batman or Spiderman. I really don't want to say this but once Kawamori-san goes so will Macross. Tlll then, Most of us will have a cup of earl grey in the heavens boasting or knocking each other on how much we paid for our collection after seeing our grandsons break off a shoulder or a tab B.

:p

If kawamori goes, the people behind macross II will take over and we will be able to get macross III macross IV macross V and they will all be in alternate universes similar to what is happening with all the different gundam shows.

lol

Harmony gold will also try to claim they own them all and remove all credits to the creators of the shows when they obtain footage from the different shows mixed in with astroplan mechs.

I'm very happy with the V1 VF-25 line. They made them awful enough that the thought of buying one never even crossed my mind, saving me hundreds of dollars that I can now use to buy the V2 line. :p

I feel the same way about it. But if bandai did not make them bad in the first place, you would have had something good at an earlier time right? The HiMetal VF-1 is an example of a great bandai effort which for its size is great. It didn't need more than one version (and it holds great poses) so I feel that in future more of that kind of attention to detail is what I like.

I can't believe we are not getting yf-19 himetal. arrgh Please continue this line bandai! Grrrr but at least we got the vf-19.

I've said it before: if yamato could do a perfect transforming vf-0 in 1/100 that would be great. I wasn't a fan of yamato going down the non-transforming toy direction. I think they should have spent money researching ways to make smaller and cheaper alternatives to perfect transforming toys instead of trying to compete with revoltechs. It's not that I have anyhting against revoltechs, just that I am more a fan of small but PT toys.

Gosh! You do enjoy writing! :o

My posts on macrossworld are tiny compared to some really long stuff on other boards. lol But yeah I do make them big. I'm trying to cut them down these days. Love macross as a series and I lurk on the boards a lot even when I'm not typing.

I think many macross collectors should remember that as technology improves the toys can improve along with it so when the old stuff is lessened in value it's due to improvements in toys overall,.....which is a good thing!

Yes not good if you spent heaps of money on toys beforehand, but it's overall good. That's the short version of the rant.

You know, I hope the original post author doesn't quit buying these things on the basis that companies are deliberately out to screw him by releasing new improved versions to destroy the value of older releases. That's not the intention. It's just that toys can get better over time when improvements are brought about. (see all the new transformers toys based on G1 characters with better articulation as an example - Do people who buy masterpiece Grimlock now have to feel bad for that toy's existence just because the original G1 grimlock is now obsolete and hold less value? No we rejoice that a superior version of the same thing is out there for us to own. If hasbro/takara can improve stuff and people are fine with it, why not bandai? It desperately needs it)

Using toys as investment is a bad way to "collect" toys. Toys will always decrease in value after some time has passed. Might as well just collect stamps or art. Some collectors will sell the toys due to lack of space or they need the money for the next toy. Last year i saw the 1/72 YF-19 and the 21 at a shop selling them very expensive. I seriously doubt anyone would pay a huge sum for those when you can get the prettier 1/60 models. Just because they are very rare now doesn't mean they are worth that much.

I probably will keep my extras until 20+yrs from now.. and then maybe sell them......maybe.. but I just love sitting and counting away...

I wonder how much this is worth nowadays...

DSC00666.jpg

wow an old picture from a few years back.. those were the open ones and I still have sealed ones that weren't in the picture.. My 1/72 New Edwards Base

I would really prefer collecting toys for the fun of owning them instead of having them as investments.

I would venture on something else besides toys if I would be buying stuff for reselling value. I think the kind of completist that would pay huge sums of money for a single item is a very rare breed.

I have to agree that toys would always improve and the best ones we consider today would be bested by something else in a few years' time.

The reason why some people have to be disappointed with Bandai with the new v.2 DX Chogokins is that the v.1 could already have been sporting the v.2's features by the time they were designed.

For example, look at the DX's Gerwalk. It could hardly pull off a nice A-stance without dislodging the intakes/hips. That was what, around 2008? But hey, those thigh swivels have already been used by Yamato a few years when they started their 1/48 line.

• 11 years later...

As long as you keep them MISB; really never been openend and moreover never took it out of box; never been displayed (even just for considered short period of time), we can hold the value high.. indeed, Macross IP is not as famous as Gundam or Transformers, but in case or rarity (and "vintageness"), i think it holds it more than both of them.. last time i checked on eBay, some collectors sold their's relatively pretty high (above $.300, some even above $.400) but all of sold items are really MISB..