Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

AmiAmi sold the Fire Valkyrie for 18,950 yen (MSRP of 22,000). It's a safe bet the VF-17 will sell as much.

Their YF-29 sold for 12,320 yen (MSRP 17,000 yen), after it sold out the price jumped up to 15,480 yen.

Their renewal VF-25F is selling for 10,150 yen (MSRP 14,000 yen). Will it go up after the restock? Most likely.

Color is wrong, and why is cockpit clear? Definitely a pass....

Juuuust kiiding! :D

Funny you should say that. I really like the way these molds look with the gray color. I'd probably prefer more realistic alternate colors to the actual animation on these birds.

AmiAmi sold the Fire Valkyrie for 18,950 yen (MSRP of 22,000). It's a safe bet the VF-17 will sell as much.

Their YF-29 sold for 12,320 yen (MSRP 17,000 yen), after it sold out the price jumped up to 15,480 yen.

Their renewal VF-25F is selling for 10,150 yen (MSRP 14,000 yen). Will it go up after the restock? Most likely.

That's just how the industry works. And opposite of the price increases, when toys don't sell, they get marked down.

Such was the fate of most of the new Mospeada toys...they're all in the clearance bins. :o

I wish I knew the scale of this fighter. Is it going to be a larger fighter, like the SV-51, or smaller, like the VF-1? If it's smaller in size than the fire Valk, maybe it'll be a little less up front. My wallet is hoping this is the case anyhow! :lol:

Note the FAST Pack attachment points on the photo :)

Graham

Graham, which joints in battroid mode have detents and ratchets? For me, the more click joints, the better! Does the proto feel as solid as the Fire Valkyrie?

Dunno, I've only seen pics, haven't acctually handled a test shot yet.

Graham

I wish I knew the scale of this fighter. Is it going to be a larger fighter, like the SV-51, or smaller, like the VF-1? If it's smaller in size than the fire Valk, maybe it'll be a little less up front. My wallet is hoping this is the case anyhow! :lol:

The scale is 1/60, same as all Yamato's recent VF releases :)

As for the size, in fighter mode, the VF-17 is shorter that the VF-19. Roughtly about the same length as the VF-11, or maybe a tad longer.

In Battroid mode, it's pretty tall though. The top of the VF-17-S's head (excluding head lasers), comes to the top of The Fire Valks head fin.

Graham

The scale is 1/60, same as all Yamato's recent VF releases :)

As for the size, in fighter mode, the VF-17 is shorter that the VF-19. Roughtly about the same length as the VF-11, or maybe a tad longer.

In Battroid mode, it's pretty tall though. The top of the VF-17-S's head (excluding head lasers), comes to the top of The Fire Valks head fin.

Graham

According to the ad the Fire valk is 33cm long and the VF-17 28cm. Even though shorter, due to its proportions the VF-17 seems to be a still fairly big toy.

post-12283-0-01370700-1317104645_thumb.jpg

Isn't Yamato risking it a bit by doing so little promotion of their big next releases? Bandai has been bombarding us with the 29 and the V2 25 for months.

So true! After this many promotion pictures of YF-29 everywhere, is it possible to not to buy? :D

Yamato should incline on promotion right now with more than two new products on hand! (VF-19S/F/P and VF-17S/D)

Edited by charger69

Graham

Not that it concerns me any but won't some people piss and moan that that's too tall? I thought the VF-17 was slightly shorter than the VF-19 in Battroid.

Not that it concerns me any but won't some people piss and moan that that's too tall? I thought the VF-17 was slightly shorter than the VF-19 in Battroid.

In fact, No :)

sizechart-3.gif

Looking at this chart, being very sligthly taller than VF-19 in battroid mode is not big issue

Edited by charger69

In fact, No :)

sizechart-3.gif

Looking at this chart, being very sligthly taller than VF-19 in battroid mode is not big issue

"The top of the VF-17-S's head (excluding head lasers), comes to the top of The Fire Valks head fin."

Except in that chart the VF-17's head doesn't stand as high as the tip of the Fire Valks head fin. They're pretty much exactly the same here, as was the assumption. But being as tall as the head fin is adding quite a bit more height.

Having the VF-17 as tall as the Fire Valk doesn't concern me much since it's unlikely that I'll display them side by side in Battroid.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm more concerned when I saw pics before of a VF-11 MAXL being way too short in Battroid.

I mean, like less than 3/4 of a VF/YF-19's height.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm more concerned when I saw pics before of a VF-11 MAXL being way too short in Battroid.

I mean, like less than 3/4 of a VF/YF-19's height.

that's how it's supposed to be. The MAXL is only 11.24m vs the VF-19's 15.48m. She's a tiny robot.

$300... whew. No way. I gotta draw the line somewhere. Guess I'll just keep trying to catch up on my SDF collection.

Same for me. The ever looming possibility of ball jointed ankles alongside such a heft price tag make this a "no" for me. Maybe if it pops up on sale in the future. Right now, I'm saving for armored variants of the v.2 VF-25.

Same for me. The ever looming possibility of ball jointed ankles alongside such a heft price tag make this a "no" for me. Maybe if it pops up on sale in the future. Right now, I'm saving for armored variants of the v.2 VF-25.

Um... you do realise that as far as QC goes there is the distinct possibility that the new VF-25s will be just as flawed as the YF-29? Loose hips and shoulders etc...

that's how it's supposed to be. The MAXL is only 11.24m vs the VF-19's 15.48m. She's a tiny robot.

Sad. But then again, no matter how much I ponder, Yamato won't be making one as Graham said before.

I guess the main cons of the other two Sound Force units is that they got molds that are hard to milk.

Back on topic, I'll probably wait for reviews on this before purchasing

just to make sure that I don't get any problems instead of risking breaking mine while trying to figure out Yamato's cryptic manual.

I always did like learning to transform my VFs via online videos.

In fact, I've never transformed any VF in my collection without an online guide.

In fact, I've never transformed any VF in my collection without an online guide.

you can count on me for more videos chief

also Yamato should make a MAXL and do a Hatsune Miku variant for mega sales

Sad. But then again, no matter how much I ponder, Yamato won't be making one as Graham said before.

I guess the main cons of the other two Sound Force units is that they got molds that are hard to milk.

Back on topic, I'll probably wait for reviews on this before purchasing

just to make sure that I don't get any problems instead of risking breaking mine while trying to figure out Yamato's cryptic manual.

I've got a feeling we'll see Ray's VF-17T custom get made. all that changes between it and the VF-17S/D is the head and the forward fuselage for the longer nose that doesn't seem like much more new tooling than the difference between the VF-19kai and the VF-19S/F. and all that have to do is change the head to make the Ray's nightmare custom into a Regular VF-17T training craft.

and frankly I would love to see a VF-17T

vf-17t-battroid_small.gifvf-17t-fighter_small.gif

and as for transforming Macross toys for the first time; I always do it the proper way. I blindly manhandle the toy without any kind of instructions until it ends up in the mode I want. B))

Edited by anime52k8

and as for transforming Macross toys for the first time; I always do it the proper way. I blindly manhandle the toy without any kind of instructions until it ends up in the mode I want. B))

It's not like there isn't a precedent set for this.. I don't remember Hikaru ever getting an instruction manual. :lol:

As far as the VF-17T is concerned, the changes would be a little more drastic than the VF-19s. Unless they somehow can elongate the cockpit backwards (which I don't think is accurate, because I remember the nose being longer), the entire chest area will need to be reworked to cover the bigger canopy. The nose length itself

It's not like there isn't a precedent set for this.. I don't remember Hikaru ever getting an instruction manual. :lol:

As far as the VF-17T is concerned, the changes would be a little more drastic than the VF-19s. Unless they somehow can elongate the cockpit backwards (which I don't think is accurate, because I remember the nose being longer), the entire chest area will need to be reworked to cover the bigger canopy. The nose length itself

The forearms also have to be changed to cover the cannon ports which may or may not affect the transformation depending on how Yamato has implemented it right now. They COULD always cheat and just do the paint scheme without modifying the body at all.

I went back and looked at the two schematics and I really don't think it would take that much to rework the nose for a 17T. While it's true the neck/cockpit need to be longer the transformation is the same and the addition of extra long neck also makes hiding the extra long cockpit easy and doesn't change the transformation in the torso at all. It's still more tricky than the VF-19 changes but shouldn't be too difficult. It would still be easier to just slap the paint scheme on a regular 17 and change the head though.

Um... you do realise that as far as QC goes there is the distinct possibility that the new VF-25s will be just as flawed as the YF-29? Loose hips and shoulders etc...

I know lol, but in the chance that the VF-25 is flawed, its a smaller hit to take compared to the VF-17. Now, if the VF-17 has ratchet ankles, I'll definetely re-consider!

I know lol, but in the chance that the VF-25 is flawed, its a smaller hit to take compared to the VF-17. Now, if the VF-17 has ratchet ankles, I'll definetely re-consider!

I'm pretty sure Graham already said the ankles are going to be ball joint but that Yamato is reworking them to be better.

I'm pretty sure Graham already said the ankles are going to be ball joint but that Yamato is reworking them to be better.

No, I mentioned the VF-19S ankles would be improved. Basically, the tray that holds the ankle ball joint on the VF-19S will now have a metal plating, compared to just being painted as on the VF-19Kai. Using a metal plating allows Yamato to control the thickness of the plating more accurately compared with the layer of paint on the VF-19Kai. This should increas friction and have less wear compared to paint.

I don't know about the VF-17S ankles, whether they are ball or ratchet joints. I have emailed Yamato today to ask.

Graham

No, I mentioned the VF-19S ankles would be improved. Basically, the tray that holds the ankle ball joint on the VF-19S will now have a metal plating, compared to just being painted as on the VF-19Kai. Using a metal plating allows Yamato to control the thickness of the plating more accurately compared with the layer of paint on the VF-19Kai. This should increas friction and have less wear compared to paint.

I don't know about the VF-17S ankles, whether they are ball or ratchet joints. I have emailed Yamato today to ask.

Graham

The big problem with the ball joint on the 19 is that when you force the ball too forward or backwards, the ball forces the socket apart, you're using the leg as a lever to pry apart the two halves of the socket. Adding more friction won't really fix this.

The big problem with the ball joint on the 19 is that when you force the ball too forward or backwards, the ball forces the socket apart, you're using the leg as a lever to pry apart the two halves of the socket. Adding more friction won't really fix this.

Hmmm.........perhaps people should try using a little less 'force'. :p

The words "force" and "transforming plastic toys" are never a good mix.

Seriously, if I had a spare junker VF-19, it would be an interesting experiment to see how much force is needed to force the socket apart. Haven't experienced this problem on my two VF-19 and I'm not gentle with them either. Not rough, but not gentle.

Graham