Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

So there's two different kinds of Fast Packs for the YF-29? One looks like a regular version and a upgraded version which honestly looks like it's gonna fire a flower at you lol.

Two? They look the same to me; the outer nacelles include supplementary turboprops for more economic atmospheric flight. :p:lol:

improved pilot figure, landing gear and all those gimmicks!?

Man, Bandai is going for win this time around. Glad I PO'ed when it was on sale!

All this improvement makes my current VF-25s look like vintage, brick toys..... :ph34r:

All this improvement makes my current VF-25s look like vintage, brick toys..... :ph34r:

It probably is, they made Kawamori change the VF-25 to fit their old toy which had been sitting on some obscure storage for decades, that explains why it becomes a floppy mess by just looking at it.

Just hope the gazillion gimmicks on the YF-29 won't make you wonder how it looked originally after a few months on the shelf.

It probably is, they made Kawamori change the VF-25 to fit their old toy which had been sitting on some obscure storage for decades, that explains why it becomes a floppy mess by just looking at it.

Just hope the gazillion gimmicks on the YF-29 won't make you wonder how it looked originally after a few months on the shelf.

Decades?

well, boyarque did say "vintage" so I was just going with the drift!

Seriously, I didn't buy any VF-25 because they looked awful despite people saying it would be very well built. Turns out it wasn't.

I did buy a Vf-27 because it looked wonderful, and almost never transform it. Turns out some of us have had floppiness by just displaying it in one mode. Mine rests in Fighter.

I am not going to buy any YF-29 because of the looks. Besides, I still can't get myself to like the G-mode, the heavy backplate, the profusion of engines, engines and more engines, and start to wonder what is going on with Kawamori.

well, boyarque did say "vintage" so I was just going with the drift!

Seriously, I didn't buy any VF-25 because they looked awful despite people saying it would be very well built. Turns out it wasn't.

I did buy a Vf-27 because it looked wonderful, and almost never transform it. Turns out some of us have had floppiness by just displaying it in one mode. Mine rests in Fighter.

I am not going to buy any YF-29 because of the looks. Besides, I still can't get myself to like the G-mode, the heavy backplate, the profusion of engines, engines and more engines, and start to wonder what is going on with Kawamori.

Obviously he found epic meal time on YouTube. Engines, more engines, EVEN MORE engines!

Never liked how the DX-25 looked in any mode, but I do find it amussing that so many others now dislike it too, when they first said that they loved it. Some even went as far as to say it looked chunky because that was how it the 25 was supposed to look! :rolleyes: Glad we are all on the same page now!:lol:

Chris

For my part, I wish the VF-25 was a chunkier looking bird (in animation). It seems almost feminine (or maybe insect) looking to me. Of all the DX toys issues, looking a bit more chunky than the animation wouldn't be a major fault for me. I think that's why I'm a fan of the Legioss. The battroid mode looks solid (albeit tiny in comparison to Macross vehicles).

EDIT - I do realize that the Legioss doesn't look worthy of flight in fighter mode so yeah, there's some give with the take.

Edited by jenius

Never liked how the DX-25 looked in any mode, but I do find it amussing that so many others now dislike it too, when they first said that they loved it. Some even went as far as to say it looked chunky because that was how it the 25 was supposed to look! :rolleyes: Glad we are all on the same page now!:lol:

Chris

The sculpt didn't bother me as much as the quality. I actually don't mind it chunky. However, being anime accurate(especially with hip placement) actually works in the toy's favor since the hip movement wouldn't be hindered by the lerx's in battroid mode. Still hoping for a redone DX VF-25 with the improvements of the DX YF-29, and hope the joints don't loosen I HATE when that happens!

Nah it's only one version.

The harpoons extend and expand from the tips of the Fast Pack.

Alto must be for hunting space whales. :wacko:

Okay if you say so, but it looks like the version with the harpoon/flower/propeller on the outer nacelle also has an extra grey part on the inner one which made me think it was just an upgraded Fast Pack.

Chris

I never liked the design in the first place. Like Jenius I think it's too damn delicate with such long nose in fighter mode and long legs in battroid. The YF-29 seemed to be like a VF-25 on protein supplements so that's ok :p

instinct tells me the gazillion gimmicks will probably be the source of (floppiness-related) pain in the neck.

a clean, plain toy has its advantages, especially if it does not have countless engines hanging around, it's a law of physics, I know that.

Okay if you say so, but it looks like the version with the harpoon/flower/propeller on the outer nacelle also has an extra grey part on the inner one which made me think it was just an upgraded Fast Pack.

Same FAST pack, they just suck another FAST pack on it.

(yo dawg, I heard you like FAST packs, etc.)

instinct tells me the gazillion gimmicks will probably be the source of (floppiness-related) pain in the neck.

a clean, plain toy has its advantages, especially if it does not have countless engines hanging around, it's a law of physics, I know that.

Really? Because the last time I took a physics class there was nothing mentioned about toys and the number of fake plastic engines they have. I blame the sad state of our educational system. <_<

For me personally, I have nothing against VF-25's design as a mech. It's just the design as a toy that frustates me, especially in the articulation department. Feels as though Bandai just wanna milk money ASAP from loyal Macross fans while the hype is hot, and while the license is theirs, of course ;) .

But this YF-29...dunno, seems like much thought have been put into the design. And looking at the latest mag scan, they even highlight the improvement made on the landing gears, showing that finally, somebody inside Bandai, really listens!

I loved the VF-25 since I first saw it, I liked the slim nature of the design instead of the "super-robot" look alot of battroid designs have...mainly due to anime-magic of having completely different proportions in fighter and Battroid modes, but the DX VF-25 sculpt was a disgrace:

Inacurate nose sulpt (looks like it was put on upside down)

Low hanging, beefy engines in fighter mode.

Ventral fins that hang straight down instead of at an angle like they are supposed to.

Wings that for some reason curved up.

Laughable "landing gear"

Poorly done cockpit with little to no detail.

and these were just the thing I can think of for fighter mode not even including QC issues.

I get people have different prefrences..ie..some prefer fighter mode others prefer battroid. The skinny batt mode of the 25 is what made the 25 unique to me. I, however am a fighter mode guy and the DX 25 completely failed in that department. glad to see more effort has been going into these later designs. :)

Chris

I like that the leg micro-missile pods can completely open, this means that in theory, the pilot can select to either fire the micro-missiles through the opening ports when only a few missiles are needed, or if say surrounded, facing multiple enemies, they can select to open the pods and fire off all the missiles at once.

Graham

I did notice that, plus, with the multi-directional twisting those leg packs do, it's very GPB like in functionality. It's like they intend this thing to be a leaner, meaner option instead of the huge bulky armored pack VF-25. Probably doesn't hold quite as many missiles.. but.. well, that's up for debate.

Looking at the size of those missiles.. either they keep getting smaller and more potent in-universe, or Bandai has a warped sense of scale. It's tough to tell from the pictures, but those missile packs look like they're full of 2-liter soda bottles. :blink:

For my part, I wish the VF-25 was a chunkier looking bird (in animation). It seems almost feminine (or maybe insect) looking to me. Of all the DX toys issues, looking a bit more chunky than the animation wouldn't be a major fault for me. I think that's why I'm a fan of the Legioss. The battroid mode looks solid (albeit tiny in comparison to Macross vehicles).

EDIT - I do realize that the Legioss doesn't look worthy of flight in fighter mode so yeah, there's some give with the take.

I like chunky bots only when armor is worn. The valkyrie in robot mode when slim = less restriction on limb movements and imo a pilot is cooler when he dodges or seeks cover (we see a lot of that in sdfm when they first encounter regult chicken-mechs) by moving out of the way or transforming to another mode to escape danger like we see in mac zero. It's not as cool to take a hit and eat the damage to trade blows because to me it shows you are not as alert and skillful.

In the intro of sdfm tv series you can see a stylised evasive move by a valk in bot mode where he does a cool dodge-roll thing and then hover-skates on his feet thrusters whilst aiming at a hopping regult. All that quick movement is probably easier if you are not wieghed down by bulky parts that imo would make you respond with more lag than a skinny mech imo.

I think what makes valk different from other shows is the idea that dodging is going to win more than hiding and waiting. To me its more interesting to see a speedy fight vs slow moving one. I like 'gundam 08 ms team' with all the tactics as the next guy but to me macross is all about the edge-of-your-seat avoidance of danger in the nick of time. (ie like luke skywalker just barely able to scrape past all the laser fire in episode 4 in star wars to reach the goal in time- accuracy + speed using good reflexes saves the day, not just having the latest vehicle with the best specs.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Looking at the size of those missiles.. either they keep getting smaller and more potent in-universe, or Bandai has a warped sense of scale. It's tough to tell from the pictures, but those missile packs look like they're full of 2-liter soda bottles. :blink:

Doing a rough count of all the micro-missiles in the photo, it looks like the YF-29 carries about 130 micro-missiles in total (15 per shoulder, plus 25 per each of the four leg packs = 15+15+25+25+25+25 = 130. Only an approximate number though as you can't see all the missiles in the photos.

Graham

Tail end of June.

I'll probably get a YouTube video review out asap....and there's two things you can do about it.

Absolutely nothing...and like it. ^_^

As the name indicates, valks are female. And I too agree that the VF-25 series look quite insect-like.

Personally I like the valks slim. As 1/1 LowViz Lurker said, valks are supposed to be nimble, quick and high-maneuver mechas. If there's a need for durability and firepower, that's why there is the armored mode.

The more I look at the slim design of the VF-25, the more I like it.

Tail end of June.

I'll probably get a YouTube video review out asap....and there's two things you can do about it.

Absolutely nothing...and like it. ^_^

Cool thanks man, dying to see more pics of this, as i'm really loving the 29, and hope the quality is up to scratch to sit in the cabinet with my yammies.

As the name indicates, valks are female. And I too agree that the VF-25 series look quite insect-like.

Despite the historical connotation to females and Valkyries I do not see female traits in the majority of VF Battroid modes. Certainly not in the original VF-1. While not hulking it's a bit butch for a lady.

Despite the historical connotation to females and Valkyries I do not see female traits in the majority of VF Battroid modes. Certainly not in the original VF-1. While not hulking it's a bit butch for a lady.

I don't think they are designed with the mythical Valkyries in mind either lol. There's nothing feminine about war machines, though ships and such are usually referred to as a she.