Battle: Los Angeles

Snail00

LUCKY YOU! I miss Japanese beer too. The basic Kirin and Asahi don't do it for me. :(

Yebisu FTW! Luckily we import it here in Melbourne.

On topic: Gonna try and catch it next weekend, sounds delicious and you guys make way better reviewers than any other as we've got similar taste on mecha and mayhem.

Yebisu FTW! Luckily we import it here in Melbourne.

On topic: Gonna try and catch it next weekend, sounds delicious and you guys make way better reviewers than any other as we've got similar taste on mecha and mayhem.

Suntory Premium Malts and Kirin Strong 7 and Nodogoshi #1, I have to check BevMo, if they have either, it's over, no more Modelo or Budweiser!

LUCKY YOU! I miss Japanese beer too. The basic Kirin and Asahi don't do it for me. :(

Sapporo is a great Japanese beer too...but yeah Kirin is my fave.

There are theaters here called Cine Bistro which is 21+ and have a full bar and dinner service, seats are huge and have trays similiar to First Class ones on airplanes.

@Chewie...yeah I suppose you're right. ;)

Orion Beer rules all!

Your are disgusting for saying what you just said about Orion. Not the beer, but you. :p:lol:

Sapporo is a great Japanese beer too...but yeah Kirin is my fave.

There are theaters here called Cine Bistro which is 21+ and have a full bar and dinner service, seats are huge and have trays similiar to First Class ones on airplanes.

@Chewie...yeah I suppose you're right. ;)

Sapporo is so-so, but no doubt Kirin is my absolute favorite.

It is out in my country just today: due to the various positive comments I've read here, I think I may give it a try :)

Edited by Gui

Roger Ebert's review is hilarious.

Roger Ebert's Rating: 1/2 out of 4

"Young men: If you attend this crap with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart."

Aside from that, I thought it was an okay movie. Not as entertaining as ID4, but not a major disappointment, either.

Roger Ebert's review is hilarious.

Roger Ebert's Rating: 1/2 out of 4

"Young men: If you attend this crap with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart."

Aside from that, I thought it was an okay movie. Not as entertaining as ID4, but not a major disappointment, either.

I saw the review on PBS with his show "Ebert at the movies" My first thought was "you're still alive?" and the second was "when exactly were you ever still relevant?"

EDIT:soooooooo did Michelle Rodriguez survive the deadpool this time?

Edited by renegadeleader1

I saw the review on PBS with his show "Ebert at the movies" My first thought was "you're still alive?" and the second was "when exactly were you ever still relevant?"

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Is she gonna bite it again this time?

Gonna have to agree with Ebert on this one, what a terrible film. I had such high hopes after the awesome trailer - instead I get an extended shaky-cam commercial for the marines. Such wasted potential in my opinion.

I sorta agree with Ebert because I thought that this film would be a lot better. But it was still kinda fun to watch. I had to move back from where I was sitting because I didn't realize it was going to be that much of a shaky cam movie. I was expecting Bourne but it was more like Cloverfield.

The good was the marines shooting aliens, which is what I came to see. Some good acting by Eckhart.

The bad is about everything else. Stupid story, cliche everything that makes you think about other movies while you're watching this one. Really bad dialogue. And bad alien designs.

spoilerish complaints:

Aaron Eckhart's dilemma. What exactly was it? You can't make it a big deal in the movie and then say it's something generic that the other guy's reaction seem so superfluous.

Disappearing kids. There's three, then there's one, then there's two.

Overly shaky cam. I don't hate shaky cam movies but sometimes I feel like they swing it back and forth just to keep the camera moving. I can understand in Cloverfield where it's an amateur video shot while running. But this is suppose to be documentary feel.

Long beginning sequence - I thought at first that the cliche start was used to get right into the action but then it ran long enough to where they could have injected some real background story. But by the time they deployed to their mission I barely knew half the people in the unit.

Cliche cliche cliche - the whole movie. One cliche after the other, topped off by an overly derived resolution.

Well, I'm glad you guys mentioned the shaky cam thing. That'll pretty much kill it for me. When I saw Cloverfield, I threw up on my feet a few times... and that was after leaving the theater a couple of times to fight off the nausea. The good news is that I was probably better off for missing large portions of that movie. What a steaming pile of crap that one was. I even had difficulty stomaching District 9 at the beginning. I managed to fight through that one and enjoyed the rest of the movie.

Perhaps I'll wait for this one to come out on Netflix or at Blockbuster (if they're still in business at that point).

Damn, in a way I found that review to be harsher than Ebert's. He was spot-on with the Patton Oswalt clip though. :lol:

I won't apologize for enjoying the movie, or even recommending it to friends, but again for me it's all about expectations and knowing (or hoping you know) what you're in for.

-b.

And that is why I am totally ok with having enjoyed this movie.

That guy is a clown and has clearly never met, known or crossed the street across from a Marine. He's bitching about cheesy jokes when the punchline to his website is "just the way your mother likes it?" Someone define irony for me.

As someone who also got sick enough to leave the theater for Cloverfield, I can say it's nowhere near as bad.

I just got back from seeing it, myself. I thought it was pretty damn awesome.

What dialog were people expecting? The movie was about marines fighting aliens. The dialog is what I'd expect if I was in such a situation. Where you people expecting Shakepearean soliloquies or something?

To no surprise, The Asylum made their own version of Battle of Los Angeles. Yes, it's The Asylum, but the upsides are Nia Peeples (who is still a hottie for her age) and no shaky-cam.

I actually watched that last night. holly shit did it make no sense at all. :wacko:

I caught this last night with a buddy. While not as bad as Cloverfield, the shaky cam action in this was lame and made the movie less watchable. This trend needs to GO, it covers up sloppy fight choreography and lazy photography, it does not, ever, improve a movie.

I laughed out loud a few times at inappropriate moments in the movie due some seriously cheesy lines.

That being said, it was exactly what I expected in a mindless - humans versus technologically advanced alien invasion movie. I had some laughs, a few startles and some fun watching people shooting stuff (although the cruddy filming almost always made it hard to figure out who was shooting what and what was getting hit.) I wouldn'trecommend it unless someone was just looking for a shoot em up on the big screen, but for that it fit the bill.

:lol:

Yes...amazingly she survived...

Just caught it few hours ago. I liked it and took it as a brainless action fiesta. Plot was paper thin and just enough to get by. The ending was overly cheesy with "yeah right man". Marines are awsm. HOO RAH!.

I don't expect the movie to be a District 9, but hey...this movie was way better than Skyline. There were parts where I thought i was playing the ps3 game, Vanquish. Pretty neat.

I actually watched that last night. holly shit did it make no sense at all. :wacko:

I watched the first 15 minutes or so this morning (DVR running out of space, had to clear some junk off). I could barely handle the aliens reprogramming missiles instead of just blasting them, I could barely handle the ratta tat tat noise the F-16 autocannon made, I could just barely stomache the national guard air base looking like a rundown drive in movie theater, but when the general in charge started yelling at a pilot to get him to launch while making everyone else wait for him - while bad guys are on the way - well it was time to pull the plug. (remember, all of this in 15 minutes or less).

Troma team makes better movies...

I watched the first 15 minutes or so this morning (DVR running out of space, had to clear some junk off). I could barely handle the aliens reprogramming missiles instead of just blasting them, I could barely handle the ratta tat tat noise the F-16 autocannon made, I could just barely stomache the national guard air base looking like a rundown drive in movie theater, but when the general in charge started yelling at a pilot to get him to launch while making everyone else wait for him - while bad guys are on the way - well it was time to pull the plug. (remember, all of this in 15 minutes or less).

Troma team makes better movies...

Your a brave man at 15 minutes, 3 minutes and I was like "Done!"... really bad!

Was there another movie called Battle Los Angeles, yesterday at my local generic food supermarket I saw next to the Sky line DVD a Battle: Los Angeles DVD.

The cover showed a large "V" like ship over a city sky line, the strap on the back said something about 70 years ago we shot a ship down now they have come to invade.

I can't help thinking this unknown is suddenly out on DVD to cash in on the potential cash cow in the cinema.

Was there another movie called Battle Los Angeles, yesterday at my local generic food supermarket I saw next to the Sky line DVD a Battle: Los Angeles DVD.

The cover showed a large "V" like ship over a city sky line, the strap on the back said something about 70 years ago we shot a ship down now they have come to invade.

I can't help thinking this unknown is suddenly out on DVD to cash in on the potential cash cow in the cinema.

scroll up about 10 posts and watch the video.

Saw the movie today. I was a bit underwhelmed. For an invasion force, they have a really infantry heavy ground force. There wasn't anything particularly impressive, though that missile launcher was alright. It behaved more like a towed gun though, and not a real walker.