THOR - The Movie

EXO

Terrible. Thor should not have any costume. He should be bare ass. THAT would get people's attention. After all, he is a God, what the hell does he need clothes for?

I never thought I'd say this, but I would have to agree. Then again, a wife-beater shirt and jeans would be better than that God-awful glorified halloween costume reject in the promo pics. The Captain votes Epic Fail!

True but it doesn't look good in live action.

Damn, Vinnie must've been really hard up. I still think his best role was Detective Goren on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. He had a good swan song in that series (Both Bogosian and Erbe also left the show; Bogosian's exit didn't fare too well for his character).

• 1 month later...

With the second Fantastic Four film, the story goes that the production studio did not want Galactus represented in the way that he normally is in the comic because they feared that he would look stupid. Maybe they were right....

galactus3.gif

I suspect that the same studio would probably also have said "Don't do a film about Thor, it will look stupid too".

In most cases I tend to doubt "studio" wisdom, but in this case I think that they would be onto something...

Taksraven

Jesus CHRIST!!! This movie looks gay bad!!!!!

NO good can come of this...

You know that at this point, Anthony Hopkins couldn't give a sh*t. He's just cashing-in, while the paychecks are still good.

And WTF is this thing with trying to make the eye-patch some kind of "cool accessory" with the whole strapless-magically-stays-stuck-on-your-face look? That's just dumb. I don't know WHY I'm even focused on a detail as obscure and miniscule as this--especially in light of everything else that's BAD about the look of this...call it a pet-peeve. It's just nonsensical. But it's the little details like that, that really make a difference in how enjoyable and engrossing a movie can be. Stuff like that says: THEY. JUST. DIDN'T! CARE!!

Edited by reddsun1

So much nerdrage over one promo pic? :lol:

I agree the magic eye patch is stupid, but the rest of what I can see in the photo doesn't really give me enough information to form a postive or negative opinion. Just looks like three guys standing in costume posing for a promotional photo.

Maybe it's just a bad vibe along side that bad photo, but I'm not sure I understand Marvel's plan behind the build up to The Avengers. As I understood it, each of the individual Avenger films (Hulk 2008, Iron Man/Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor, etc) were supposed to act as primers for the audience. A way to introduce these second-tier super heroes and familiarize the film-going public with names, faces and powers before eventually unveiling "The Avengers". But with Terrence Howard having been replaced for Iron Man 2 and now word coming down that Edward Norton will not be the Hulk in The Avengers, what is the point of all this continuity when the actors will just be recast anyway? It makes one wonder, if Thor bombs at the box office, does Marvel have someone else in mind to recast for Thor's appearance in The Avengers? Perhaps Marvel is not counting on the continuity as much as they originally let on, but given all that exposition in Iron Man 2, that's kinda hard to believe.

I would have said aimed at the teen-to-20-something crowd, pretty much like all mainstream movies are nowadays...

This is an all-important demographic to Hollywood, I'd say. A segment that's just beginning to express any sort of buying power, be it from their allowance/first job/or what have you--but still not possessing the good taste or sophistication to exercise any true discretion with their spending power, to say: "I'm not about to spend my $$$ on this sh*t..."

Oooooooooooooooooooooh, work that hammer hunk god :wub: !!! :p

If I were a girl I'd pick Thor boy over the Twilight guy anyday... or any other guy if I had to really, Mr vampire's face shape freaks me out a bit.

I know you guys want it, so here's a super hot photo of Thor in a wet T-shirt with his muscles bulging as he pulls on his hammer. Oh yeah!

2eaic90.jpg

Does anyone else see the connection between the idea that he is shoveling poo in this shot and how the final film experience will be!?!?

Mixed emotions. It's definitely pulling at my nostalgia for the character, but I'm still feeling worried about the film. The film does look good in context, but it still feels more than a little silly in the production design and the costumes. On the plus side, the dialog is surprisingly poignant and the theme appears to be Thor learning humility, which could make for a solid story and worthy emotional payoff. I will say that it is rather interesting the trailer reveals character scenes and drama, rather than focusing 90% on special effects and action like so many of these super hero flicks. That could be good news or maybe just clever marketing. Still up in the air on this one, but maybe a bit more hopeful.

Yeah, I agree. Didn't really care for the movie either, after some of the images that were shown, and still think the costumes look......fake/silly (if that makes any sense) But the Trailer does look pretty good and I'm now mildly interested. I admit, I know nothing about Thor so I can't judge accuracy or anything.

Chris

I'm a non-practicing Thor fan (I still own some of my old Thor comics) and I can say the movie is building upon basically all the important foundations of the comic character. The hammer, the gods, humility, banishment, Earth, the mantra, etc. Redesigns are rather familiar for Thor. When I was into the comics (late 1980s to early 1990s), the Thor property was already in a state of visual redesign with each new artist that worked on the book starting with, and then following, Walt Simonson. Asgard and the gods in particular have gone through so many conceptual redesigns in the comic series that the different look of this live action version is no surprise. I'm just not convinced the look is working for me.

I'm a non-practicing Thor fan (I still own some of my old Thor comics) and I can say the movie is building upon basically all the important foundations of the comic character. The hammer, the gods, humility, banishment, Earth, the mantra, etc. Redesigns are rather familiar for Thor. When I was into the comics (late 1980s to early 1990s), the Thor property was already in a state of visual redesign with each new artist that worked on the book starting with, and then following, Walt Simonson. Asgard and the gods in particular have gone through so many conceptual redesigns in the comic series that the different look of this live action version is no surprise. I'm just not convinced the look is working for me.

Thanks for the info. :) I agree about the costumes...they just have that typical Hollywood plastic armor look to them.

Chris