THOR - The Movie

EXO

• 1 month later...

Short version: it's good. Its REAL good! Like Iron Man good.

OK, spoilers below. Don't read if u haven't seen it!

The jokes were genuinely funny, but didnt get in the way of the story. All of the characters felt exactly right, with Odin, Thor and Loki all being amazing characters. Hawkeye gets a decent appearance, though is only called "Agent Barton." Natalie Portman was clearly having fun in her job as well, and I can understand why; Hemsworth may be the man i would go gay for. I mean he is charming and just HUGE! You totally buy him as a God!

The fights are great, with the exception of the Loki/Thor fight which got a little bit Shakey cam for to long. But it certainly wasnt a deal breaker.

Random thoughts/Awesome moments:

*Thor gets hit the 2nd time by Janes car "I swear I'm not doing this on purpose!"

*Thor walks into a pet shop "I need a horse!"

*Thor, believing Odin dead, and with tears in his eyes "Can I come home?"

*Thor pins Loki down by just leaving his hammer on Lokis chest. Genius!

*Heimdall. Just Heimdall. He was awesome! I like that he never blinks!

*After drinking a guy under the table: "He has done his ancestors proud!"

And of course the big reveal for Avengers: The Cosmic Cube!!

Seriously, this is all any Thor fan coul hope for I think. Hell in the closing credits even the list of Thank You's is huge, and any comic fan will definitely know those names!

The reviews so far have been pretty good. Sitting around 91-94% on rottentomatoes.com. Going to pull about 230-270 mil here I am guessing. Very interested to see how well it will play in countries closer to the origins of norse mythology.

I saw one of those Thor hammer toys in the Mart of Wal. I could totally see kids smashing each other in the face with that thing. It's a bit more solid than I expected. :D My friend picked it up and slammed it into my arm...it's foam, but it's a very solid foam with a bit of weight in it. Totally waiting to see 5 year olds crying on playgrounds from from getting face smacked by the Nerf Thor Hammer!! :D

I just saw THOR today. It was awesome, I loved it. The cool thing was that it wasn't really an 'origins' story. You don't see Thor coming to 'understand' his power, etc. HE IS A GOD!

It helps that Chris Hemsworth has plenty of charisma, and the few times that he smiles is the movie his face shines like the sun. The movie was a lot of fun, and I urge you to go and see it in a cinema. I could have done without the 3D though, didn't add much really. But Asgard itself looked amazing.

They have 2D glasses now. You can sit in a 3D screening and eliminate the 3D. I guess if your friends insists on seeing a film in 3D and you have to sit with them. Have them pay the extra price though. :D

I just saw THOR today. It was awesome, I loved it. The cool thing was that it wasn't really an 'origins' story. You don't see Thor coming to 'understand' his power, etc. HE IS A GOD!

[...]

I didn't watch it of course, but from what I've read so far, I'm rather happy they chose to remain faithful to the original character, and I mean the mythological god instead of the comics super hero: in the nordic classic tales, Thor is indeed a rather violent, stubborn and greedy character, far from the "ideal/knight-esque" man seen in the Marvel comics –thus, it makes sense to have him "punished" by Odin in order to teach him a bit of humility...

But that is what happens in the comics I believe. He was never much of a superhero until after being banished and learning humanity. The current version of the comic Thor did start as an arogant bastard. I could be getting confused with the Ultimates version. I wasn't that much of a Thor follower but I did always like him.

Edited by kanedaestes

I didn't watch it of course, but from what I've read so far, I'm rather happy they chose to remain faithful to the original character, and I mean the mythological god instead of the comics super hero: in the nordic classic tales, Thor is indeed a rather violent, stubborn and greedy character, far from the "ideal/knight-esque" man seen in the Marvel comics –thus, it makes sense to have him "punished" by Odin in order to teach him a bit of humility...

they used the same origin in the comics, that's how he got to earth

reviews good so far

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1197233-thor/

They have 2D glasses now. You can sit in a 3D screening and eliminate the 3D. I guess if your friends insists on seeing a film in 3D and you have to sit with them. Have them pay the extra price though. :D

The problem is that clearly - clearly, in some scenes where they wanted to force you to watch the foreground, the background was blurred. I haven't seen the 2D version (I will) but I've read that this is done in post to reinforce the 3D effect, so I'm hoping the 2D version is a lot better. Because of the art direction on this, it's a real pity missing the detail of the background. There are several moments in Asgard that just look gorgeous, and your eye wants to search out the background for detail. I love new tech, but 3D just isn't doing it for me.

Malaysia will show on this 28th, and I'm eager to go and see it with my pals! Still undecided whether to watch in 2D or 3D..... damn you, Technology!!! :angry:

On another note, my friend who has been doing custom paintjob for me has been chosen by Hasbro (Malaysia) to build the Asgard set for Thor figure. :D

Here, you guys can read it here: http://rkdesigns.blogspot.com/2011/04/thor-movie-display-01-official-hasbro.html

But that is what happens in the comics I believe. He was never much of a superhero until after being banished and learning humanity. The current version of the comic Thor did start as an arogant bastard. I could be getting confused with the Ultimates version. I wasn't that much of a Thor follower but I did always like him.

they used the same origin in the comics, that's how he got to earth

[...]

That's a retcon from 1983; when the character was created in 1962, these origins weren't taken into account.

The problem is that clearly - clearly, in some scenes where they wanted to force you to watch the foreground, the background was blurred. I haven't seen the 2D version (I will) but I've read that this is done in post to reinforce the 3D effect,

A bit OT, but to me that's all the Nintendo 3DS is. I don't get a sense of "3D" from it---it mainly makes the background blurry. (I go for the 2D version of a movie whenever possible)

Heck, a lot of people can get that effect for free---just take off your glasses.

Saw it tonight. Could not have been more pleased. Casting was solid. Effects were great. Story was very good. Enjoyed it all around.

Also, Natalie Portman is PREPOSTEROUSLY hot.

Edited by hutch

Chris Hemsworth nailed Thor. We get a very good idea from the start

of how huge a bad ass Thor can be and Asgard looked fantastic, his fall from there really shows how much he was humbled.

Got a bid bored at points though; not Iron-Man but a very good movie given the kooky source material.

Heimdall

is the most badass of them all.

Got a feel that

not much happened in Asgard on a regular basis considering it’s supposed to be a place of eternal fighting.

I can't see 3D, but my friends wanted to see it in 3D so I sat in that theatre. I have to say it must have been extra awful because the whole thing was a blur to me. Usually with the glasses it just becomes regular 2D. But this time I couldn't tell the difference with or without it.

I can't see 3D, but my friends wanted to see it in 3D so I sat in that theatre. I have to say it must have been extra awful because the whole thing was a blur to me. Usually with the glasses it just becomes regular 2D. But this time I couldn't tell the difference with or without it.

I took my 4 year old daughter watching it (her first cinema trip) and she loved it - she was transfixed to the screen the whole time. She thought the ice giants were a bit scary at the beginning but happy screamy scary rather than terifying.

Its a great film, i loved it and there isnt any swearing or anything so its good for the family. All the jokes and action are very visual so it was easily enjoyed by kids but there was enough depth there to satisfy the older crowd.

Not too shabby of a film. There are far worse movies out there than this one.

It was entertaining enough.

And I'm glad that they

added a few layers to Loki's portrayal. They didn't make him an out-and-out bad guy, which I appreciated.

I really enjoyed it. If anything I felt that it could have been a bit longer (the romance angle felt a little forced given the time constraints). Great casting, and I'm really impressed with how good the Asgard sections ended up looking given the early photos and skepticism.

Saw it. Loved it. Only thing that nearly ruined it was that, due to a confusion in showtimes with my friends, I ended up seeing it in 3D. NEVER AGAIN. The loss of brightness through those stupid glasses pisses me off. Lovely New Mexico sunsets reduced to dull glows. Asgard with no gleam or shine. ARRRGH! Gonna see it again Tuesday in blessedly vivid 2D. Here endeth the rant. B))

A bit OT, but to me that's all the Nintendo 3DS is. I don't get a sense of "3D" from it---it mainly makes the background blurry. (I go for the 2D version of a movie whenever possible)

Heck, a lot of people can get that effect for free---just take off your glasses.

It's quite possible you aren't able to view 3D then. I have a 3DS and the backgrounds aren't at all blurry in any game I own.

saw it again in 3D because friends wanted to. Not much is lost in terms of color and brightness from the 2D version but there's very little about this movie that benefits from the 3D.

still fun the second time around though. :lol:

It's quite possible you aren't able to view 3D then. I have a 3DS and the backgrounds aren't at all blurry in any game I own.

I think I would have realized by now if I couldn't see in 3D. Everything else has always seemed to work fine--red/blue, polarized, "Magic Eye", whatever Disney does at "Philharmagic," etc. But the 3DS---yeah, it's 3D, sorta, but more by shifting your focus than anything else really, versus altering depth.

On a related note, I think I'm exceptionally good at "Magic Eye". The fad has pretty much gone away, but when it was "the in thing" I could see them all, quickly.

I still love this gif:

Stereogram_Tut_Animated_Shark.gif

saw it again in 3D because friends wanted to. Not much is lost in terms of color and brightness from the 2D version but there's very little about this movie that benefits from the 3D.

still fun the second time around though. :lol:

Might have been some projection difference in the theatre I saw it in. Just looking over the edge of the 3D glasses, I noticed a significant difference in brightness. I loved seeing it in 2D. Thankfully, the management didn't stick 2D Thor in one of the smaller screens like they did the 2D version of TRON Legacy.

Might have been some projection difference in the theatre I saw it in. Just looking over the edge of the 3D glasses, I noticed a significant difference in brightness. I loved seeing it in 2D. Thankfully, the management didn't stick 2D Thor in one of the smaller screens like they did the 2D version of TRON Legacy.

The only thing that really stood out was when they were riding across the bifrost. In the 2D the little explosions of colors that follow their foot steps was a bit more pronounced than when I saw it in 3D.