HG and Robotech Debates

My question is is Toynami profitable? At least with their Robotech toyline? Why couldn't Toynami get those Alpha/Legioss Fighter moulds right even when they switched to an (allegedly) more efficient manufacturer?

I'm sure they are profitable. If they weren't, Toynami/George wouldn't have continued with the Alphas or the betas as far as they did. Now, how much of a profit margin is something we can only guess at without him or someone in his company saying, but to just say they aren't is more on the side of Macross fan speculation(?). If you take all the items Robotech that they sell/sold, it seems like they've done alright. Toynami is a business afterall. In one of their most recent of Macross/robotech projects, their Regult seems to have done well. Even the 1/100 line seems to have endured well enough. Going by initial sales, not collector or 3rd party sales, it seems like Toynami is profitable, but how much is anyone's guess. I'm pretty confident that the Maia Sterling MPC was probably the money pit, but it seems they padded well enough to attempt to fix it at least. Doesn't seem like that was the case with that mess.

Yeah not so much. That deal they made is very quietly dying.

Indeed... and it would be better for both parties to just let it die quietly and never do business with each other again. True, their initial run of Macross Saga-based Masterpiece Collection toys sold okay during the brief resurgence of interest in Robotech that followed the opening of Robotech.com in 2001, but interest in the toy line dropped off as soon as they'd finished covering the Macross Saga. Once they'd exhausted that, most fans no longer had a reason to care. The way Toynami handled the recall of the Maia Sterling VF/A-6ZX killed what was left of the fanbase's interest in the toy by reissuing it with an entirely different set of severe defects after promising not to build the reissue in the same factory and then going back on their word.

Indeed... and it would be better for both parties to just let it die quietly and never do business with each other again. True, their initial run of Macross Saga-based Masterpiece Collection toys sold okay during the brief resurgence of interest in Robotech that followed the opening of Robotech.com in 2001, but interest in the toy line dropped off as soon as they'd finished covering the Macross Saga. Once they'd exhausted that, most fans no longer had a reason to care. The way Toynami handled the recall of the Maia Sterling VF/A-6ZX killed what was left of the fanbase's interest in the toy by reissuing it with an entirely different set of severe defects after promising not to build the reissue in the same factory and then going back on their word.

I had this debate awhile back ago with someone who was on the "buy Robotech toy only" bandwagon. I've heard his arguments and others about how Yamato is chalk full of defective parts and pieces that break, trying to sell me on how Toynami's MPCs are better. The fiasco with the Maia MPC and the alpha line in general is what I'll always refer to. Knowing the first alphas had defects, they never attempted to fix the initial issues (crumbling hands, floppy legs, poor paint, overglue, landing gear clearance, etc.) Then when the Maia came out with all the brittle plastic and poor craftsmanship, it was just more problems on top of the original problems. Any problem I've heard from Yamato, has been handled, and they try to rectify the issues with their later issues and re-releases. I never vilified Toynami, some of their other toys are fantastic, but it's almost obvious that they don't make their money off of the MPC stuff.

So, from twitter reports from Anime Expo, there is a new Robotech production planned to be released next year.

Yeah, sure. <_<

It will be anounced to be on hiatus - with hiatus meaning something other then what it actually means - other then the fact that it will not get released for years if at all.

Then again, maybe I'll be surprised.

Guess we'll get the confirmation when all the kids head back to their hotel rooms to report in. The panel ended only 40 minutes ago (at time of posting) and most people are probably gonna head to dinner or other convention events.

Hmm, didn't know they were having a "Robotech in China"-panel. Shouldn't our Chinese members chime in on that? kresphy!!!! Get your ass over here.

So, from twitter reports from Anime Expo, there is a new Robotech production planned to be released next year.

Good grief, are they still trying to get people to buy that tired old line? It's pissing into the wind, to be sure. It's a choice between taking that at face value and being all surprised when 2011 rolls around and they have nothing to show for it, or going with the line that Tommy let slip and the VAs confirmed... that the movie's on hold while Harmony Gold waits for Warner's live-action movie to fix the franchise's poor reputation. They'd initially promised they'd release Shadow Rising in 2009, and see what happened to that.

No, this is almost certainly just more noise about Shadow Rising that will likely amount to nothing. I'd rate the chances of it being another new edition of the Shadow Chronicles movie much higher than it being something actually new. Maybe Warner and Maguire Entertainment finally gave up and decided to do Robotech's live-action movie as an shoestring budget direct-to-DVD movie like Starship Troopers 2.

Yeah, sure. <_<

Oh, don't doubt the Mighty McKeever! It's going to follow in the footsteps of those pioneers like Ridley Scott, and Wolfgang Peterson.

RT:TSC (The Director's Cut) will be released, with an added 3 seconds of footage (reports are that this footage is a shower scene, Scott Bernard's, if the reports are to be believed).

Is this new Robotech production will be Shadow Rising? Astro Plan :p ? Or totally new?

Now there's something I hadn't considered... maybe they DID license that cheap Chinese knockoff of Macross and Gundam as some of their fans were hoping.

Good grief, are they still trying to get people to buy that tired old line? It's pissing into the wind, to be sure. It's a choice between taking that at face value and being all surprised when 2011 rolls around and they have nothing to show for it, or going with the line that Tommy let slip and the VAs confirmed... that the movie's on hold while Harmony Gold waits for Warner's live-action movie to fix the franchise's poor reputation. They'd initially promised they'd release Shadow Rising in 2009, and see what happened to that.

No, this is almost certainly just more noise about Shadow Rising that will likely amount to nothing. I'd rate the chances of it being another new edition of the Shadow Chronicles movie much higher than it being something actually new. Maybe Warner and Maguire Entertainment finally gave up and decided to do Robotech's live-action movie as an shoestring budget direct-to-DVD movie like Starship Troopers 2.

Its all in how you say it. See HG something in production but they can't say what. But I can guarantee that it will not be something that the fans want. Like another art book, or rpg stats book or another comic.

Heck mash all the Starship troopers movies together and you may have the RTLAM.

Its all in how you say it. See HG something in production but they can't say what. But I can guarantee that it will not be something that the fans want. Like another art book, or rpg stats book or another comic.

Ooo! I cracked the code! The new production is a new Microsoft PowerPoint slideshow to replace the one they've been using non-stop since 2006!

There is also news of a "Robotech Mystery Box" to look out for in the panel reports. It makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

No, I'm pretty sure the fluid that filled my mouth when I saw a somewhat battered looking cardboard box with the Southern Cross Army crest on it was vomit, not saliva. Hey, maybe now that Toynami's managed to reduce interest in the masterpiece collection from a max of 15,000 unit to a mere 5,000, they're going to cut it still further and do a Masterpiece Hovertank! :rolleyes:

They couldn't sell outta those if they limited the run to 20 units.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Hey, maybe now that Toynami's managed to reduce interest in the masterpiece collection from a max of 15,000 unit to a mere 5,000, they're going to cut it still further and do a Masterpiece Hovertank! :rolleyes:

Hey, I'd buy one. I'd buy one, then battle-damage it up, just to have something for my Yamato Tomahawks to stand triumphantly over!

Ooo! I cracked the code! The new production is a new Microsoft PowerPoint slideshow to replace the one they've been using non-stop since 2006!

No, I'm pretty sure the fluid that filled my mouth when I saw a somewhat battered looking cardboard box with the Southern Cross Army crest on it was vomit, not saliva. Hey, maybe now that Toynami's managed to reduce interest in the masterpiece collection from a max of 15,000 unit to a mere 5,000, they're going to cut it still further and do a Masterpiece Hovertank! :rolleyes:

If we keep this we'll get a C&D.

I know it's become a fun game for us to scrutinize everything that comes out of the 'Robotech pipeline', but this latest "announcement" of a new Robotech production by 2011 sounds... desperate.

Didn't HG explicitly state that everything would be put on hold until WB gets the live action movie is in production? Why did these murmurs of a new "Robotech production" come out from McKeever's mouth and not Warner Brothers?? Who cares about some stupid mystery box filled with Macross merchandise? Why does the Robotech twitter keep trying to show the public how "amazing" the line is to these Robotech panels and how hip they are to be in these sold-out anime conventions filled with girls in unrelated anime costumes???

Oh well... Robotech is just a "small" part of their business and they're making a killing at the burgeoning real estate market and all that jazz so we must stop overanalyzingggggggg.............

Maybe, someone was imagining it but I don't see anything about a new production on Twitter or the Facebook page. One would think this would light up those 2, but I don't see a thing. Even the AX thread on RT.com hasn't had any activity since Wednesday.

There is also news of a "Robotech Mystery Box" to look out for in the panel reports. It makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

Tommy yune took a dump in a box?

Who cares about that? OH my bad, the lunatic fringe =D

Clearly this whole live action movie hoopla was a smokescreen to divert attention away from project "Shadow Harvest." Now that it is nearing completion, 2011 will hold the grand unveiling of the next robotech animated feature in a theatre somewhere outside of the Sundance Film Festival. The subsequent DVD release will occur in 2013, with bluray to hit in 2014.

Let's just hope no one reports that picture to authorities as some kind of bomb scare... Also, wouldn't it be senseless to try to keep anything containing protocutlure away from the Invid, since it's essentially Invid nip, and they'd be able to smell it miles away?

Maybe, someone was imagining it but I don't see anything about a new production on Twitter or the Facebook page. One would think this would light up those 2, but I don't see a thing. Even the AX thread on RT.com hasn't had any activity since Wednesday.

These were the only ones I could find about the panel.

http://twitter.com/RamenX/status/17529994727

'>

http://twitter.com/RamenX/status/17529994727

http://twitter.com/colonydrop

'>

http://twitter.com/colonydrop

Maybe not that many people believe it anymore since they've been using excuses like that for years.

I know it's become a fun game for us to scrutinize everything that comes out of the 'Robotech pipeline', but this latest "announcement" of a new Robotech production by 2011 sounds... desperate.

Exactly... this latest announcement that an unspecified Robotech "production" is going to be released in 2011 smacks of a knee-jerk attempt to convince the fandom their failure to follow up on the "success" of Shadow Chronicles isn't going to be the start of another slide into inactivity and failure like Sentinels and RT3K were.

Didn't HG explicitly state that everything would be put on hold until WB gets the live action movie is in production? Why did these murmurs of a new "Robotech production" come out from McKeever's mouth and not Warner Brothers?

Yes, the statement that Harmony Gold put Shadow Rising on hold while they waited for Warner Bros to raise the franchise's image in the eyes of potential investors came from the mouth of Tommy Yune. McKeever was the one who initially said it was on hiatus, and then came back to say that hiatus doesn't mean what general convention and common sense say it means. Richard Epcar confirmed the movie was on indefinite hiatus, and he also said that resumption of work was on a "don't call us, we'll call you" basis.

As to why this latest announcement has come dribbling out of the corner of McKeever's mouth instead of from someone who actually matters, who cares? With a track record like Harmony Gold's, it'll either be a pathetic joke that only the most deluded of die-hard fans will try to defend, or it'll be canceled as a money pit and quietly ignored while Robotech fans pretend it was a blockbuster epic in the making that fell victim to circumstance, like they're presently trying to do with Robotech 3000.

Yeah, you'd expect that would be a pretty big news item, but there's absolutely nothing to indicate that anything of value actually happened. I'm unsurprised that nothing has been posted in the AX thread on Robotech.com, since that particular hive of scum and villainy is all but dead these days. Our predictions of only a few months previous have come true in a most startling way, with the site's traffic having dropped off to almost nothing thanks to Maverick and MEMO banning or otherwise driving away anyone who was a long-time contributor or even remotely inclined to actually discuss Robotech itself.

Tommy yune took a dump in a box?

Who cares about that? OH my bad, the lunatic fringe =D

Whatever it is, it's almost certainly by Toynami, so it's probably George Sohn's turds in the box instead.

Yeah, sure. <_<

What it looks like is either a comic, or online comic possibly. And the pic they showed is "Sera" the Invid Princess in her suit holding a gun. It's Tommy Yune art, so I'm thinking maybe an online web comic, or Flash webisode. Nothing really earth shattering, but that's all that it really was. I'm sure the pics will be popping up soon. I was really too lazy by that time to take my camera out, even though they said no cameras (I think they jokingly say that, but really want people with their cameras out). Having the Voice actors on there and Carl's wife on there was cool. They actually were interesting to hear and made funny remarks to some of people's questions, but as far as content wise and for being RT's big 25 years, it was really kinda sad. Macross has more going on in this convention than they do, and the series aren't even allowed over here. Imagine that.

Almost forgot to mention that I went to a dinner with several Robotech fans, and some of the VA's and HG staff. While I didn't talk to the HG staff (let's face it, what, if anything important is there to say), I did talk to a few of the Voice Actors. I'll probably get critisized here by some, but I tell you, the guys and gals that sat at our table, and the VAs, those are the people that make it fun. Turns out that a few of the RT fans I talked with that I haven't seen in a couple years are avid Macross fans of all the new stuff.

So, in conclusion, panel was mostly an homage to Carl Macek, very little on the news of new things coming, and in that realm, still a lot of can't talk about its. However, the Voice actors, Steve Kramer, Richard Epcar, Ellyn Stern, and Rebecca Forstadt were fun as always. Seeing them around is always good times. They kept the panel from being lulled to sleep.

Edited by Jasonc

It's just like being back at San Deigo Comic Con 2003 when the new "series" was announced for fall of 2004. OH how I miss Robotech panels, great place to kick your feet up and stay out of the heat.

This 'new' comic is probably be another TPB of older comics. Or a web comic of PttSC TPB. I guess HG thinks this is a good holdover until the RTLAM comes around.

Oh and i just remembered, in a previous con, they showed a short animation of Ariel flying towards the screen with a punch. So i have a reason to believe this Sera pic is just for promotional stuff.

It's Tommy Yune art, so I'm thinking maybe an online web comic, or Flash webisode.

Or it could just as easily be meaningless window-dressing drawn by Tommy to show in lieu of actual content. After all, it's been his standard practice for years to toss up a new piece of art every few months when the griping about having nothing new gets too loud.

as far as content wise and for being RT's big 25 years, it was really kinda sad. Macross has more going on in this convention than they do, and the series aren't even allowed over here. Imagine that.

So, imagine the most logical scenario? Gotcha.

Given Harmony Gold's track record with the franchise over these past 25 years, it was to be expected that Robotech's big 25th anniversary bash would end up being all hype and no substance.

I'll probably get critisized here by some, but I tell you, the guys and gals that sat at our table, and the VAs, those are the people that make it fun. Turns out that a few of the RT fans I talked with that I haven't seen in a couple years are avid Macross fans of all the new stuff.

Who'd criticize you for that? Most, if not all, of the VAs who worked on Robotech 25 years ago have gone on to do good work on a variety of good shows. The only time that working on one show is enough to mark you for life and ruin your career is if that show is Star Trek or Star Wars. The sane fans aren't bad people, they're just overly nostalgic or have bad taste.

So, in conclusion, panel was mostly an homage to Carl Macek, very little on the news of new things coming, and in that realm, still a lot of can't talk about its.

So, business as usual... and they're already implicitly using Carl's death as an excuse for having nothing new to show for 25 years of faffing about. :rolleyes:

Edited by Seto Kaiba

JASONC: What it looks like is either a comic, or online comic possibly. And the pic they showed is "Sera" the Invid Princess in her suit holding a gun. It's Tommy Yune art, so I'm thinking maybe an online web comic, or Flash webisode. Nothing really earth shattering, but that's all that it really was. I'm sure the pics will be popping up soon.

I-I'm sorry, but what exactly was said in the panel, Jason? This was one of the tweets:

News from robotech anime expo panel. New robotech series being made. Production to finish this time next.

Isn't it kinda awful to lie to your paying, casual fanboys to believe that a new television series is in the works when its probably something much more insignificant? Did people ask Tommy to clarify or was the entire audience hysterical with excitement?

But then... it doesn't add up. Maybe it is a new WB animated series! Y'know why?

It's 2010, for chrissakes... A new comic book project (be it print, online, or animated in flash) is not a big deal.

Edited by chrisk

This new "series" can't really be that big a deal or even guaranteed to arrive when it's supposed to next year since the "official" website doesn't even mention it on the front page or in the forums.

What it looks like is either a comic, or online comic possibly. And the pic they showed is "Sera" the Invid Princess in her suit holding a gun. It's Tommy Yune art, so I'm thinking maybe an online web comic, or Flash webisode. Nothing really earth shattering, but that's all that it really was. I'm sure the pics will be popping up soon. I was really too lazy by that time to take my camera out, even though they said no cameras (I think they jokingly say that, but really want people with their cameras out). Having the Voice actors on there and Carl's wife on there was cool. They actually were interesting to hear and made funny remarks to some of people's questions, but as far as content wise and for being RT's big 25 years, it was really kinda sad. Macross has more going on in this convention than they do, and the series aren't even allowed over here. Imagine that.

So the status quo has been maintained once again, even at Robotech's 25th anniversary.

No offense to anyone who enjoyed it, but it sounded like what they say and do every year; lots of big plans for the immediate future but no results and self congratulations from getting lucky in 1985.

Edited by Einherjar