HG and Robotech Debates

The same could be said in dubbing Stick Bernard's voice to sound like a 40-year old in a 18-year old body.

yeah that was weird when i watched shadow chronicles

Bin Shimada was twenty-something and made Stick sound like an earnest young man

as Snegoff told me, he was trying to imitate a british actor that portrayed Captain Blight (from Bounty) in an old movie. I don't know who he was talking about and he didn't remember the exact name but that's where the Kyron' accent comes from.

James Mason from the original Lolita, Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest? It's Captain Bligh.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

as Snegoff told me, he was trying to imitate a british actor that portrayed Captain Blight (from Bounty) in an old movie. I don't know who he was talking about and he didn't remember the exact name but that's where the Kyron' accent comes from.

How about the other noticeable quality of Liquid Snake; being a Large Ham?

Edited by Einherjar

The same could be said in dubbing Stick Bernard's voice to sound like a 40-year old in a 18-year old body.
yeah that was weird when i watched shadow chronicles

I apologize, but coffee almost came out of my nose when I read this and I don't know why. :D

I apologize, but coffee almost came out of my nose when I read this and I don't know why. :D

I would assume that it was because you were drinking coffee at the time. If you weren't drinking coffee and it almost came out of your nose, however, it might be time to see a doctor.

Taksraven

I would assume that it was because you were drinking coffee at the time. If you weren't drinking coffee and it almost came out of your nose, however, it might be time to see a doctor.

Taksraven

No you make a Youtube video of it first and get millions of views. Then maybe you see a doctor.

Taksraven

one of the mysterious powers of protoculture

one of the mysterious powers of protoculture

There's this really cool Doctor named Dr. Lang. I'm sure he's familiar with this problem. He's probably also familiar with the Chronicles of the Effin' Shadow.

There's this really cool Doctor named Dr. Lang. I'm sure he's familiar with this problem. He's probably also familiar with the Chronicles of the Effin' Shadow.

That's a fairly safe bet, since Lang was exposed to the wisdom of Zor (an exposure that made his eyes creepy, to boot). Creepy eyes and strange knowledge are deffinitely qualifications to answer this question.

My guess is he's probably in some back alley getting his proto-fix.

Or maybe Dr. Lang transferred his consciousness into Janice Em so that he can continue researching on Protoculture and the Shaping. Too bad for Louie though. :p

Too bad he's dead, gone psycho, or just forgotten like a lot of characters.

Murdered in the Southern Cross novels if I recall correctly.

Taksraven

Murdered in the Southern Cross novels if I recall correctly.

It's been ages since I read the novels, but I think he was murdered by his "evil" counterpart Dr. Lazlo Zand, who also incidentally shows up in Prelude.

One of my fondest Robotech memories was during my "blissfully ignorant Robotech fanboy phase". At the time, I hadn't heard of the wider "canon" of Robotech beyond all the uninspired crap Yune wrote for the first half of the 'noughties... It was quite funny really, but I really can't forget that thread I read on the Robotech boards. Some "Robotech Guru" said that some dude named "Lazlo Zand" turned into a giant "Flower of Life" during the final arc of the Southern Cross novels.

It was quite a revelation really... And then in 2005, Yune (who really deserves all the writing credit for Prelude and not the Waltrips) brought back this "Zand" character for no apparent reason. No explanation, nothing. Man, that was the straw on the camel's back. That's when I finally figured out that all that the Robotech franchise sucked.

So in conclusion, Lazlo effing Zand was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by chrisk

I thought the potential last straw would have been the public knowing the whole story surrounding Robotech and HG deciding it was still a good idea to keep running with it, even with all the behind the scenes controversy it's been known for creeping back on regular basis.

By the way, does anyone else think the Ranka/Sheryl performance and the Robotech panel for this year's Anime Expo seem extremely awkward? With all the crap that's happened recently, I wouldn't be surprised if HG sent both singers and the production behind it a C&D for the usual reasons.

Edited by Einherjar

I thought the potential last straw would have been the public knowing the whole story surrounding Robotech and HG deciding it was still a good idea to keep running with it, even with all the behind the scenes controversy it's been known for creeping back on regular basis.

I believe I felt that storywise, Robotech was hopeless. I just felt that any future storylines written by that guy were just going to be more of the same fan fiction.

By the way, does anyone else think the Ranka/Sheryl performance and the Robotech panel for this year's Anime Expo seem extremely awkward? With all the crap that's happened recently, I wouldn't be surprised if HG sent both singers and the production behind it a C&D for the usual reasons.

Were they hot?

Edited by chrisk

It's been ages since I read the novels, but I think he was murdered by his "evil" counterpart Dr. Lazlo Zand, who also incidentally shows up in Prelude.

I thought he left on the SDF-3 with the REF, and became one with the Protoculture to save their bacon in End of the Circle?

WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP MAKING ME REMEMBER END OF THE CIRCLE?!?!?! THE FACT THAT I MAY BE MIS-REMEMBERING IT IS NOT REALLY A MITIGATING FACTOR!

Edited by JB0

Not a problem, if HG starts any trouble, Yoshiki Fukuyama will pop out and beam anima spiritia at them, leaving them no choice but to turn tail & run, or join the Macross side of the force.

Also, tuna buns!

I believe I felt that storywise, Robotech was hopeless. I just felt that any future storylines written by that guy were just going to be more of the same fan fiction.

Were they hot?

They were the VA's for those characters, I think. So yes.

Unless HG were the ones who invited them. But really, if HG sent a C&D letter at a convention for promoting of Japanese works, they would probably never hear the end of it. And their license doesn't cover live performances so I don't see why there would be a problem.

Even as a kid, I thought it was weird that Batman would be falling or whatever, and would take the time to say, "If I don't get the grappling hook out of my utility belt and catch that craggy outcropping in the next two seconds, I'm finished!" Why not just DO it, man?

Then the dialogue wouln't be campy, man ;) .

I think the actor's name you're looking for is Sir Anthony Hopkins. Edited by Wanzerfan

He's also one of the dead crew members on the Deukalion in Shadow Chronicles.

I was listening to that one podcast with Tommy's interview, where someone mentions Dr. Lang dying, and the answer that fan got back was, "did you see a body?" All the fanboys who don't think about stuff like that were lauging, and you heard the "EHH?", the "Ohhhhh" and the "Ahhhhhhs". Any normal persons reaction would've been, "WTF?" The hint was that perhaps he's not dead, which is simply strange. Then the comment of "In sci-fi, just about everything is possible." That's true, but why would you suggest to kill off a character, then bring him back for no reason at all? Then, to make a comment like "did you see a body", I almost wanna say, "Would you really work on making the story even more lame and convoluted than it already is?" If the answer is no, then yeah, he's dead as per PTTSC, and Chronicles of the Shadow.

I was also thinking, if the idea was to kill him off, why not just own the idea that you killed off the character. My response would've been much simpler. It would've gone more like "Well, he wasn't a big character, and in the scope of what Shadow Chronicles is, there just isn't a place for many of the characters, so we decided to end their stories." Plain, simple, clear cut, and out of the way.

Edited by Jasonc

Was anyone dressed as Maia Sterling? :(

This is a small sidenote I've noticed after last years AX2009. The only "Robotech" cosplay I saw was SDF:Macross cosplay, and then tons of Mac Frontier cosplayers. Even the girl hosting the Battle of the Bands was dressed as Sheryl, which was quite hot. Funny how you don't see people cosplaying as Robotech Shadow Chronicles characters, especially since the perception fans and staff like to suggest is that it's one of the most popular animes of the decade. Apparently, the anime community as a whole doesn't agree with that assumption. I don't even consider it anime, to be honest.

Unless HG were the ones who invited them. But really, if HG sent a C&D letter at a convention for promoting of Japanese works, they would probably never hear the end of it. And their license doesn't cover live performances so I don't see why there would be a problem.

I don't think that would even happen. HG would basically ruin their chances of having any sort of decent presence at AX in the future. They'd really have no basis for sending one out, especially since the venue, as stated, is promoting music, and isn't Macross specific.

I think the actor's name you're looking for is Sir Anthony Hopkins.

I don't think so. The person said 'Old Movie', which probably means the 1961 version, or even the 1935 version. In either case, James Mason wasn't in either of these, so the question still stands... Who was the inspiration for Khyron's voice?

James Mason was most memorable as Captain Nemo, in Disney's version of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. That might be what the person's talking about.

I was listening to that one podcast with Tommy's interview, where someone mentions Dr. Lang dying, and the answer that fan got back was, "did you see a body?" All the fanboys who don't think about stuff like that were lauging, and you heard the "EHH?", the "Ohhhhh" and the "Ahhhhhhs". Any normal persons reaction would've been, "WTF?" The hint was that perhaps he's not dead, which is simply strange. Then the comment of "In sci-fi, just about everything is possible." That's true, but why would you suggest to kill off a character, then bring him back for no reason at all? Then, to make a comment like "did you see a body", I almost wanna say, "Would you really work on making the story even more lame and convoluted than it already is?" If the answer is no, then yeah, he's dead as per PTTSC, and Chronicles of the Shadow.

I was also thinking, if the idea was to kill him off, why not just own the idea that you killed off the character. My response would've been much simpler. It would've gone more like "Well, he wasn't a big character, and in the scope of what Shadow Chronicles is, there just isn't a place for many of the characters, so we decided to end their stories." Plain, simple, clear cut, and out of the way.

That sounds like a strategy someone in the comic book industry would say to keep up long-term interest in a story. Especially with long running books, they go from one story to another with very little rest in between arcs. You have to get people to come back every month or so to find out why people like Tommy are acting so ambiguous about stuff. Also, I guess comic book death could now apply to Robotech. But this is (supposedly) anime, cheap tricks like that shouldn't work when people aren't working on anything. He's no Stan Lee, Joe Quesada, or anyone of importance in the comic book industry who can get away with it.

He's just stuck with Robotech with little to show for it.

Edited by Einherjar

Funny how you don't see people cosplaying as Robotech Shadow Chronicles characters, especially since the perception fans and staff like to suggest is that it's one of the most popular animes of the decade. Apparently, the anime community as a whole doesn't agree with that assumption. I don't even consider it anime, to be honest.

Indeed it is... though I'd say there's rather more to the complete absence of Shadow Chronicles cosplayers than the simple fact that the movie isn't even close to being the runaway hit Harmony Gold would have the fans believe it is.

Part of the problem is, I think, that quite a few of the more vocal Robotech fans maintain the perplexing insistence that Robotech is not anime. I dunno if they're just idiots, or if they believed Carl Macek's lies about the show's origins, but some of the vocal Robotech fans out there genuinely believe that a show composed of three unrelated anime titles is not, itself, anime. That bizarre belief ties into the tendency to find the original shows (and often anime in general) offensively foreign that many of those fans exhibit. To that part of the fanbase, cosplay is something they see as being beneath them because it's something anime fans do.

It's pretty much a given that what's causing most of the more sane Robotech fans to refrain from cosplaying is the simple fact that the average Robotech fan is a man in his early 30s. They're at the point where they see themselves as too old for that sort of thing, and probably the conventions too. Among those that would attend a con, I doubt there are many, or any, willing to wear something as cruelly unforgiving as those skintight sprayed-on jumpsuits everyone wears in Shadow Chronicles. The uniforms in the original Macross and DYRL are something you could conceivably wear without grossing people out even if you're not in the best shape. Nobody but a bodybuilder could pull off those RTSC jumpsuits without inducing nausea almost as effectively as Man-Faye, and even then it's kind of iffy.

Macross fans are a bit more willing to cosplay because Macross is much more popular, and Macross Frontier has a good bit of appeal with younger viewers and/or younger event organizers/participants who are still fit enough to pull it off.

That sounds like a strategy someone in the comic book industry would say to keep up long-term interest in a story.

It does, doesn't it? Tommy's been approaching Shadow Chronicles (or should we call it the "Shadow saga") like he would his own personal Robotech fanfic. What he's doing is a fairly transparent attempt to keep people interested in a continuation of the Shadow Chronicles garbage by teasing them with the whole "are they dead or aren't they?" bollocks that use all the time in the comic book industry. What he's doing there is trying to maintain interest in the dead-end Shadow Saga by teasing people with the idea that he MIGHT not have killed off 99% of the remaining Macross characters.

Indeed it is... though I'd say there's rather more to the complete absence of Shadow Chronicles cosplayers than the simple fact that the movie isn't even close to being the runaway hit Harmony Gold would have the fans believe it is.

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS FROM 'TWIT' FEED

"The Robotech Facebook page has just passed 7,000 people are you one of them?"

Look at all those zeroes!!!!!!!

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS FROM 'TWIT' FEED

"The Robotech Facebook page has just passed 7,000 people are you one of them?"

Look at all those zeroes!!!!!!!

And now for the part they didn't tell you... probably 75% of those are spambots. ^_^

Of course, most of the die-hard Robotech fans are so dense it's virtually impossible to distinguish between a living contributor and a badly-coded Russian or Chinese spambot.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

And now for the part they didn't tell you... probably 75% of those are spambots. ^_^

Its sad that the world has seen Devastator's balls, been "smurf'd", had the turtles rebooted for the third time, Gordon Gekko gets a sequel, and the Voltron and Thundercats movie isn't dead.

Oh well! I can watch Shadow Chronicles for the twentieth time, read all my old Wildstorm and Comico comics, and admire the build quality of my Toynami chibi figures... nostalgia is a cruel mistress. :unsure:

Of all the things, my younger brother asked if he could borrow my Robotech DVDs today, so I drove them over to his house. He grew up with me watching the series back in the day, and while not an anime fan or hardcore forum posting robotech fan, he did like the show back then. He was asking a lot of questions about where the cartoons came from (the robotech 101 questions) and I filled him in. Needless to say, he's interested in the originals now, and wants to see Dyrl. It struck me funny that supposedly this show is more popular now than ever, but all the people I know that watched it back then, only remember bits and pieces of The Macross Saga and The New Generation. I'm sure he'll definitely like the Macross story arcs as much, if not more though. Just thought I'd throw that out there.