HG and Robotech Debates

Oh well! I can watch Shadow Chronicles for the twentieth time, read all my old Wildstorm and Comico comics, and admire the build quality of my Toynami chibi figures... nostalgia is a cruel mistress. :unsure:

I'm pretty sure the word for your condition is "masochism", not "nostalgia". :p

The Top 5 candidates for the LAM director have been announced. And Sylvain White isn't one of them!

Damn, and I thought I was cruel.

BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS!

The Top 5 candidates for the LAM director have been announced. And Sylvain White isn't one of them!

you have way too much free time man. :wacko:

Edited by anime52k8

A7 is our minister of misinformation

You mean that he's our Ministry/Minister of Truth?

Taksraven

If Ed Wood was still alive, I'm sure that he would make a great RT:LAM

Taksraven

If Ed Wood was still alive, I'm sure that he would make a great RT:LAM

Taksraven

If nothing else, you know Minmay would wear cashmere.

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/42-other-anime-series/12393-x-xocets-third-faction-army-2010.html

Looks like some fans are making their own animated movie with Robotech/Macross inspiration. I must say it looks good, but the animation (like the big battle at the end of the first trailer), seems iffy, like in Astro Plan. Nice effort though.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/42-other-anime-series/12393-x-xocets-third-faction-army-2010.html

Looks like some fans are making their own animated movie with Robotech/Macross inspiration. I must say, it looks good, but the animation (the battle at the end of the trailer), seems like in Astro Plan.

I wonder how long it will take Harmony Gold to put the kaibash on this one with a cease and desist order. <_<

I wonder how long it will take Harmony Gold to put the kaibash on this one with a cease and desist order. <_<

As long as this movie isn't tied to Robotech or use terminologies from Robotech, then they're safe. :)

Does that have anything to do with Robotech, or are they associating it with Robotech because they're looking for something to latch onto? It looks pretty cool though.

Does that have anything to do with Robotech, or are they associating it with Robotech because they're looking for something to latch onto? It looks pretty cool though.

Considering it was posted in the "Other Anime Series"-section, I don't see what this has to do with RT. Therefore, why did this even come up? :rolleyes:

I think they're trying to promote this as a replacement to UEG Productions as a fan project to latch onto. That is, until a possible falling out with HG, followed by mud slinging from MEMO and co.

It's not relevant at all, but someone should warn these people.

Considering it was posted in the "Other Anime Series"-section, I don't see what this has to do with RT. Therefore, why did this even come up? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure of that. It interested certain people so much that they were invited on robotechespanol. I think it was a way of distancing everybody from the fallout with UEG.

Edited by Einherjar

I think they're trying to promote this as a replacement to UEG Productions as a fan project to latch onto. That is, until a possible falling out with HG, followed by mud slinging from MEMO and co.

It's not relevant at all, but someone should warn these people.

I'm not sure of that. It interested certain people so much that they were invited on robotechespanol. I think it was a way of distancing everybody from the fallout with UEG.

I see how this is going to go from a mile away. They're gonna bring them in, because they're gonna want them to work on Robotech fan projects because they 1)don't have the talent or 2) don't wanna do the work. Somehow when I saw that thread several weeks ago, I kinda had that inclination. We'll see though. I'm sure it'll get brought up sometime, unless me mentioning it here exposed that, and they decide to change the tactic. BTW, what happened to their fan LAM they were doing. We heard of that for what, 2 days? Then it went silent. I know one of the guys from that, and he's got talent for sure, but everything else seemed really half-@ssed. I'm just saying.

Also wanted to throw in though, that if these guys do any fan work (on their own) without getting harassed by the people trying to bring them in, if they show that quality, it would be pretty cool. Saying that, it would make shadow chronicles look like garbage, I'm sure. They'd probably get shut down, too.

Edited by Jasonc

You had me at Pitof. ^_^

Oh yeah, in my boredom I checked out Robotech.com (I feel dirty every time I check that creaky old place, like I'm going back in time). The usual sycophants and aging "hipsters" continue to roam around hoping the admins or Tommy will give them the time of day. And then I saw this post:

"I have a sneaking suspicion the PTTSC has been animated as a 40 Minute OAV to be released as a surprise this year, in lou of the Shadow Rising and movie making things take longer to do. The "Do you remember Jack Baker" image has computer generated sceneary in it. All the previous "Re-Drawn" New Screens for the Comics or Books didn't. Just a thought."

And then you get replies like this:

"Its hard because you cant attribute tone of voice to the words on screen but in my head your tone was that of a person who knows something. My wishful thinking obviously."

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2072524&forumid=31

Wow. It's 2007 all over again!!!!!

Edited by chrisk

You had me at Pitof. ^_^

Oh yeah, in my boredom I checked out Robotech.com (I feel dirty every time I check that creaky old place, like I'm going back in time). The usual sycophants and aging "hipsters" continue to roam around hoping the admins or Tommy will give them the time of day. And then I saw this post:

"I have a sneaking suspicion the PTTSC has been animated as a 40 Minute OAV to be released as a surprise this year, in lou of the Shadow Rising and movie making things take longer to do. The "Do you remember Jack Baker" image has computer generated sceneary in it. All the previous "Re-Drawn" New Screens for the Comics or Books didn't. Just a thought."

And then you get replies like this:

"Its hard because you cant attribute tone of voice to the words on screen but in my head your tone was that of a person who knows something. My wishful thinking obviously."

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2072524&forumid=31

Wow. It's 2007 all over again!!!!!

Yeah, and donkeys are flying in the sky w/ wings of gold. I know for a fact that they aren't working on that. Without going into details, there isn't much of anything that's going on over there, but then again, I don't think you need to be any Robotech fan to figure that out. Their big panels for AX and SDCC are on thursday, not on saturday, so it doesn't seem like they're getting the slots of priority. I don't blame that guy for wanting to see something from the franchise. If I cared about what was/wasn't coming out at this time from them, I'd be pretty much grasping for something, too. Do you think that it helps HG at all to wait forever to put out something new? I mean, for fans, they get starved for something, to the point where it doesn't matter the quality, so long as it's something new.

Oh yeah, in my boredom I checked out Robotech.com (I feel dirty every time I check that creaky old place, like I'm going back in time). The usual sycophants and aging "hipsters" continue to roam around hoping the admins or Tommy will give them the time of day.

Oh, that one... yeah, someone brought that one to my attention the other day. It's just pathetic that even now they're trying to find hidden meaning in insignificant trash out of some misguided belief that Robotech's 25th Anniversary isn't going to be the damp squib everyone with a brain knew it would be from the start. They just can't bring themselves to accept that Harmony Gold put the brakes on all future development in favor of sitting on their collective hands and waiting for Warner to convince people that the franchise isn't a complete waste of time and money. I see Maverick_LSC is out there to help the idiot speculation along. It's highly probable he's the originator of this latest crackpot theory.

The worst thing to come from Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles isn't the childishly bad story, the bargain-basement animation quality, or the nail-in-head awful voice work, it's that the only thing it actually accomplished was convincing the self-deluded in the Robotech fanbase that this was the franchise's glorious rebirth... so now they're hoping against hope that this doesn't become another Sentinels and plunge them into another releaseless 20 years.

http://www.robotechx...-army-2010.html

Looks like some fans are making their own animated movie with Robotech/Macross inspiration. I must say it looks good, but the animation (like the big battle at the end of the first trailer), seems iffy, like in Astro Plan. Nice effort though.

Regardless of which, it looks way better than Shadow Chronicles. Also, it seems to be more of Yukikaze-inspired, as the fighter jets don't transform.

Still, this deserves its own thread here.

Edited by areaseven

Regardless of which, it looks way better than Shadow Chronicles. Also, it seems to be more of Yukikaze-inspired, as the fighter jets don't transform.

Still, this deserves its own thread here.

I dont understand why people are saying this is related to Robotech. None of the fighters seem to be able to transform and look even smaller than the fighters from Mospeada.

How much of DYRL was Tatsunoko involved in? Do they own any of the outside-of-japan rights to it?

I've heard that no one knows who owns the distribution rights to it, but shouldn't there be records for that sort of thing?

How much of DYRL was Tatsunoko involved in? Do they own any of the outside-of-japan rights to it?

I've heard that no one knows who owns the distribution rights to it, but shouldn't there be records for that sort of thing?

As far as I know, HG/Tatsunoko own only the international merchandising rights to the movie; hence the Toynami DYRL toys. The movie itself is in a licensing limbo, with Best Film & Video being the last known U.S. distributor.

I see how this is going to go from a mile away. They're gonna bring them in, because they're gonna want them to work on Robotech fan projects because they 1)don't have the talent or 2) don't wanna do the work. Somehow when I saw that thread several weeks ago, I kinda had that inclination. We'll see though. I'm sure it'll get brought up sometime, unless me mentioning it here exposed that, and they decide to change the tactic. BTW, what happened to their fan LAM they were doing. We heard of that for what, 2 days? Then it went silent. I know one of the guys from that, and he's got talent for sure, but everything else seemed really half-@ssed. I'm just saying.

Also wanted to throw in though, that if these guys do any fan work (on their own) without getting harassed by the people trying to bring them in, if they show that quality, it would be pretty cool. Saying that, it would make shadow chronicles look like garbage, I'm sure. They'd probably get shut down, too.

God dammit!

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/25-robotech-fan-projects/12766-robotech-skull--knights.html#12766

'>

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/25-robotech-fan-projects/12766-robotech-skull--knights.html#12766

Welcome to the meat grinder.

I have to wonder how much work they'll do before HG gives them the "give it to us, or give it up" speech and letter, in the form of a C&D. Clearly, another mosquito flying towards the blue light. I must admit, their character designs are pretty darn good, but the "mecha" designs are atrocious. I think the head design is decent.

I have to wonder how much work they'll do before HG gives them the "give it to us, or give it up" speech and letter, in the form of a C&D. Clearly, another mosquito flying towards the blue light. I must admit, their character designs are pretty darn good, but the "mecha" designs are atrocious. I think the head design is decent.

I hope the response to the Cease and Desist order is going to be "Shove it up your ass, and I hope Big West eats your f*cking lunch, *ssholes."

oh man a UN Spacy kite dripping with blood, barely redesigned VF-1s, and generic hardcore animu chick

Am I the only one getting a distinct "Master Chief" vibe from their barely-redesigned VF-1s? For some reason the head turret optics look oddly reminiscent of the armor that idiot war in Halo.

I hope the response to the Cease and Desist order is going to be "Shove it up your ass, and I hope Big West eats your f*cking lunch, *ssholes."

It's billed as a Robotech project, Harmony Gold could be well within their rights to say "you're not going to use our trademarked name for your shitty fan-film, so knock it the hell off". And frankly, since this is just another shitty attempt by Robotech fans to ape Macross, a cease and desist order is probably the best thing that could possibly happen to it.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

.... a cease and desist order is probably the best thing that could possibly happen to it.

I think we should have it written into the rules here that we never encourage HG to do anything.

Taksraven

It's billed as a Robotech project, Harmony Gold could be well within their rights to say "you're not going to use our trademarked name for your shitty fan-film, so knock it the hell off". And frankly, since this is just another shitty attempt by Robotech fans to ape Macross, a cease and desist order is probably the best thing that could possibly happen to it.

Nah, just get the authors of the fanwork to post it in the Fanart section on RT.com. Then, HG will claim copyright. It's kinda funny how they have the standard "no-unsolicited-material"-clause in their TOS, and then have a fanart section on their site at the same time. It's like they're saying we don't want any material while holding out their hands, accepting stuff at the same time.

I think we should have it written into the rules here that we never encourage HG to do anything.

Isn't that essentially an unwritten rule already? Of course, I don't think there are many in the Macross fanbase who would be upset if we encouraged Harmony Gold to just go ahead and quit the Sisyphean endeavor that is trying to resuscitate Robotech. Nor would they be likely to hold it against us if we encouraged Harmony Gold to stop messing around and just go out of business already.

Nah, just get the authors of the fanwork to post it in the Fanart section on RT.com. Then, HG will claim copyright. It's kinda funny how they have the standard "no-unsolicited-material"-clause in their TOS, and then have a fanart section on their site at the same time. It's like they're saying we don't want any material while holding out their hands, accepting stuff at the same time.

Even then, they're kind of treading a line... I'd rate the chances of the project being brought to a premature end by a cease & desist order much higher than those of it being adopted by Harmony Gold as the flagship for a fanworks video section. Either way, since it's a Robotech fan project being endorsed by the lunatic fringe, its chances of ever being completed are fairly slim, and it's pretty much a given that it'll be crap.

At the end of the day, this latest hackneyed attempt at a Robotech CG fan-film is just another example of the sad truth that even Robotech fans think that the only part of Robotech that actually matters is Macross.

In that case, if I posted some Astro Plan art on RT.com's Fanart section, does this mean HG will now own the copyrights to Astro Plan?

In that case, if I posted some Astro Plan art on RT.com's Fanart section, does this mean HG will now own the copyrights to Astro Plan?

:rolleyes: No. It just means whatever fan-works you post are no longer your property because you gave up that right when you posted it.

The whole idea behind the "no-unsolicited-material"-clause is a company is not suppose to accept any materials they didn't ask for or else, it opens them to legal action. Most of the larger companies go through agents or some 3rd party to get material. Basically, Company XYZ puts out a request for an idea. That idea gets posted through some posting agency and then people respond to it. And since they ask for material, they can legally say we own that material since we asked for it and someone submitted it. For smaller groups, ideally, you try to sell them a summary, then they ask for a complete idea. Hence, they ask for something.

Now, as Seto mentioned, it's treading a line. HG has the standard "no-unsolicited-material"-clause but at the same time, they have a fan-works section. So in effect, they're asking for material, in a skewed sense. But because they don't use it nor are they directly asking for it, it doesn't belong to them. Which brings up the point, well why bother having a fan-works section in the first place if they're not suppose to be accepting that stuff. That's what I was getting at. So no, they don't own Astro Plan, nor do they own your parodies...Unless for some bizarre reason, they decide to use them. In which case, you could sue them for monetary damages.

I agree. If they are serious about this, I feel really sorry for what they're probably going to go through after 6 months to 2 years worth of progress for this. They can make all the legal precautions they want, but it may not make it beyond a trailer with HG. Plus, some unreliable people with connections know about it now. There are no exceptions.

As for the work, it looks decent. I just wouldn't get your hopes up.

The worst thing to come from Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles isn't the childishly bad story, the bargain-basement animation quality, or the nail-in-head awful voice work, it's that the only thing it actually accomplished was convincing the self-deluded in the Robotech fanbase that this was the franchise's glorious rebirth... so now they're hoping against hope that this doesn't become another Sentinels and plunge them into another releaseless 20 years.

I know it's not exactly the point you were making, but I would way rather watch the Sentinels than Shadow Chronicles.