HG and Robotech Debates

I'll wager that, if this side story is really something they're working on and not just noise they're throwing out so people think they aren't just jerking off to Shadow Chronicles concept art, ......

Funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by taksraven

Save, in regards to your question, he does tie in that comment of Tats to the project, as well as on the podcast. Ah hell, I hope it isn't Love Live Alive. If they got the rights for that, and butcher it, I'm gonna start my own damn project of adding the right songs and sound to the DVD or whatnot. I really enjoy the Voice actors and their work, as well as the music and what Michael Bradley did, but c'mon...Let it not be that.

Somebody already did that a long time ago.

robotech-love live alive (michael bradley edition).wmv

My question is why Harmony Gold feels they are special?

Then why does Harmony Gold feel they need to hammer down the point that Warner Brothers somehow magically "acquired" merchandising and videogames rights as major revelations in giant media conventions?

When you surrender your rights to a Hollywood studio, can you make derivative property even before the announcement of the Live Action Movie's production as we can derive from the recent AX announcement?

Does anyone know how much studios paid for various 80's properties like Transformers or Smurfs?

I can't comment on merchandising or any other part of what the WB/HG agreement might be. What I do know for certain is WB Studios will do what they want with their owned property (even fail to produce any film at all), until such time as their agreement with HG expires and the rights revert back to the original property owner. How much HG is compensated for the rights is unknown and would depend upon many factors (fair market value, demand, box office performance of contemporary 80's film adaptations, etc).

As for HG's publicity, again in regards to the film adaptation, HG will have zero legal/functional control or input into the film. Why would HG say they do if they don't? Ignoring this is HG and their reputation for the moment, because it's smart marketing and public relations. It creates buzz, it assuages fan fears, it makes people say; "Oh, but I was told HG is involved, so this film is SURE to be faithful with their involvement". Also remember the nature of Hollywood with its glitz, glamor and notoriety. Small-minded people (like those at HG) will embrace their thread-thin association with Hollywood and talk themselves up so others will believe that HG are part of a big cultural event that is a major Hollywood summer tentpole film. Hack "author" Kevin J. Anderson talked up his "involvement" in the new "Dune" adaptation at Paramount. Turns out the guy has jack to do with it and hasn't a clue what's actually going on, but that never stops these people and their egos. That's just the most recent example. Read about any rights owner that has sold their property rights for a film adaptation and it's the same. Even the films that work often have issues between owner and studio (ex: Tolkien estate vs. New Line Pictures).

As for HG's publicity, again in regards to the film adaptation, HG will have zero legal/functional control or input into the film. Why would HG say they do if they don't?

It is quite possible that HG has a veto option on any proposed script, they are large enough that they might, small enough that they probably do not. Contracts for film adaptations can be written in a million different ways, just because a company buys the rights for a feature film does not necessarily mean that the company has carte blanche at that point.

It is quite possible that HG has a veto option on any proposed script, they are large enough that they might, small enough that they probably do not. Contracts for film adaptations can be written in a million different ways, just because a company buys the rights for a feature film does not necessarily mean that the company has carte blanche at that point.

Agreed. It all depends on how the contract was written. Since none of us have seen the contract, we can't be certain of what (if any) veto power Harmony Gold has reserved for itself.

It's possible, yes... but I doubt we'll ever get the particulars of the contract out of Harmony Gold. If there's ANYTHING in it that might be perceived as even remotely unfavorable to them in any way, you know they'll bury it deeper than Jimmy Hoffa. After all, Harmony Gold always put a higher priority on appearances than on substance. That's why they've been presenting the announcement that the movie project exists as though the movie'd already been made, and why they're announcing that Warner has the merchandising rights to the movie like it's something out of the ordinary.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Remember this post? It really shouldn't be any big news.
After all, Harmony Gold always put a higher priority on appearances than on substance.

*Sigh*

In other news, a self-important Robotech uber-nerd recently had these words to share about HG's upcoming masterpiece:

TOMMY YUNE TALKS ABOUT A NEW ROBOTECH MOVIE TO BE OUT SOMETIME NEXT YEAR 2011 AROUND THIS TIME...JUNE.

TAKES PLACE AFTER NEW GENERATION AND IS NOT PART OF SHADOW CHRONICLES. A SIDE STORY THAT CARL MACEK WAS WORKING ON THAT IS STILL PART OF THE ROBOTECH UNIVERSE.

IMAGE SHOWN AT AX THAT HAD SERA WILL BE PART OF THE STORY AND WILL BE FOCUSED ON HER.

INFORMATION IN ROBOTECH SPANISH PODCAST

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=29738&cmd=tc

THIS IS A PROJECT THAT WILL COME OUT WHILE FANS WAIT ON SHADOW RISING.

THE VISITS FOR THE VOICE ACTORS AT HG IN PAST ANNOUNCED IN PAST PODCAST HAS TO DO WITH THIS AND YOU ALSO MIGHT NOTICE A COMING SOON ABOVE NEXT TO SHADOW CHRONICLES ON THE ROBOTECH PAGE.

HEHEHE

I WAS SHOWNED A CELL PHONE CAPTURE FROM A FEW ROBOTECH FANS DURING THE TRIGUN MOVIE SHOWING AT AX ON SATURDAY. I GUESS A FEW RECOGNIZED ME AND WE STARTED TALKING. THEY PASSED IT AROUND BUT NOT SURE WHEN IT WILL GET IN THE NET.

SO UP TO THOSE GUYS.

SINCE HG LET ME RECORD A LOT OF THEIR ROBOTECH STUFF I DONT WANT TO BREAK THAT TRUST. SO NOPE.. I DON'T HAVE IT.

Also a quote from your favorite chump regarding filmfests and empty promises:

The film festivals had nothing to do with the delay in release of Shadow Chronicles. The festivals actually opened the film up to a larger run (not to mention more revenue) in theaters in 2007 See here - for an example.

What happened was when a distribution deal fell apart in mid 2005 Harmony Gold began weighing various offers from other distributors for Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles. As part of these negotiations, Harmony Gold mandated very stringent marketing and distribution goals (based on fan and market research) to be met for any such agreement. We simply were not going to sign the first deal that came through our door...

As for this new Robotech project expect to hear more news at the conventions throughout the summer...

Gosh and it just so happens that MechaCon (our Signature Event of the summer) in New Orleans and San Diego Comic-Con are just right around the corner.

It's going to be one interesting summer at the conventions...

Kevin McKeever

ROBOTECH.com

Exciting, isn't it?

Edited by chrisk

In other news, a self-important Robotech uber-nerd recently had these words to share about HG's upcoming masterpiece:

So, in other words, it's just more of the usual gibberish from a borderline-illiterate nutjob that even the Robotech lunatic fringe has a hard time taking seriously these days. I'm not surprised in the least that MEMO is doing everything he can to hype this latest weaksauce bullsh*t from Harmony Gold... he's been sucking up to Tommy since Robotech.com opened, and he probably still thinks that it'll get him a job at Harmony Gold. I wonder what Steve and Tommy think of him now that he and his best pal have essentially killed the Robotech.com community section.

If there ever was such a contractual caveat, I know of no contemporary example from Hollywood in which such an option was exercised by the original property owner. Not saying it's never existed, but it would be a rare and unusual exception if it did (or perhaps common, yet not feasible in any practical circumstance). More wishful thinking than anything. Rule of thumb, the film will have zero input/control from HG. It'll be WB's baby.

So, in other words, it's just more of the usual gibberish from a borderline-illiterate nutjob that even the Robotech lunatic fringe has a hard time taking seriously these days. I'm not surprised in the least that MEMO is doing everything he can to hype this latest weaksauce bullsh*t from Harmony Gold... he's been sucking up to Tommy since Robotech.com opened, and he probably still thinks that it'll get him a job at Harmony Gold. I wonder what Steve and Tommy think of him now that he and his best pal have essentially killed the Robotech.com community section.

I'm still wondering how the hell this is going to be a full length animated movie, and have it done by next year? It's obvious that those that are wetting their pants over this haven't thought far enough ahead to think logically about what maybe going on here. Mind you, that seems to be only the most vocal of fans, but still. I've had a few RT fans email me about this new "project", and they've kinda had the same idea that any normal person would...which is, the fans are gonna get pretty pissed when they find out what they're waiting on. Misinformation will breed contempt for those that set it all about, but I'm sure they'll find a way to spin it to where they'll use those sayings like "We never said it would be _____" or "When did we say that?". Then there will be some that simply don't care, but will gobble it right up since it's Robotech. I personally don't care what it is. On one side I feel bad for those that get fed the wrong type of info, and on the other hand, I find it so funny that the crazy fringe of Robotech are willing to make so many assumptions off of what little they've been given. I'm just glad there are some out there that have a level head, and simply reserve judgement for the final product, and don't buy into the speculation as fact garbage that will be the frenzy for the next month or so.

I'm still wondering how the hell this is going to be a full length animated movie, and have it done by next year?

There's a sticky thread on RT.com's board with big bold letters proclaiming it is indeed an animated movie. So that means Harmony Gold Legal sanctioned McKeever, who sanctioned MEMO to officialize it. It's not going to be flash, because honestly speaking, flash anime sucks! Maybe DR Movie must've signed one of those NDA agreements?!?!

Then there will be some that simply don't care, but will gobble it right up since it's Robotech.

Well, I guess it's safe to say we will NOT be seeing Shadow Chronicles awful character designs. Just Sera with big tits.

I find it so funny that the crazy fringe of Robotech are willing to make so many assumptions off of what little they've been given.

And if it sucks, you can blame Carl Macek.

IT'S HIS FAULT!! AND THE WALTRIPS BROTHERS FOR PRELUDE AND THE KOREAN ANIMATORS FOR SHADOW CHRONICLES!!!!!!

Oh great a side story about a character they cut from Shadow Chronicles, lol. That's less interesting than a side story about Yot-Chan.

And now it seems that they will be pulling the "It's what Carl would have wanted" card on everything now. Why doesn't Tommy and HG deify him and make the church robocrazy, it'll be like scientology except without the money or influence.

And if it sucks, you can blame Carl Macek.

IT'S HIS FAULT!! AND THE WALTRIPS BROTHERS FOR PRELUDE AND THE KOREAN ANIMATORS FOR SHADOW CHRONICLES!!!!!!

It's never Carl Macek's fault, ever. Don't you know?

Edited by hulagu

Robotech: Love, Live, Alive

It's animated and it involves Tatsunoko.

Oh s**t. Crap. I just had a realization. I know you guys were kidding when you suggested that, but maybe there is some merit to it after all.

This is Carl Macek we're talking about. The orginal Mospeada Love Live alive is unheard of with today's "modern" Robotech audience (did I just say that?) so why not "integrate" it into Robotech? As Jason has pointed out, how could HG pull out an OVA in such short notice, especially after the much ballohooed hiatus of Shadow Rising?

Damn... I hope it comes with subtitles, then we can all go Karaoke!!!! WE WILL WIN MUTHAF***ER!

Edited by chrisk

This needs to be said - X-Xocets' Robotech Skull Knights project and any other film-based project are probably screwed now if it's seen as a threat or distraction to this mystery production HG is planning. Considering all the embarrassment that came to the last group that got the shaft, which was very screwed up to me, maybe discouraging like minded people's hopes early on is more humane.

Well, I guess it's safe to say we will NOT be seeing Shadow Chronicles awful character designs. Just Sera with big tits.

Gee, put it like that and you might hurt Tommy's feelings by making him think that people might not want a side story about an Invid princess with boobs bigger than her head.

Nah, that particular rule only applied when it was Macek talking about the failures he presided over during his tenure as creative director. If something went right, it was always his idea or part of his grand vision, even though he almost invariably had nothing to do with it. If things went awry, it was always someone else's fault and the result of either circumstances beyond his control or executive meddling that went on over his head.

Hilariously, it almost invariably worked the other way around, with the decisions the fans all point to as evidence of Macek's genius having been made without his involvement by other, more competent people in positions of actual authority. By the same token, the decisions that many fans loathed in the various failed sequels were mainly his doing. Truly, he was a man with one and only one skill... the ability to fly under the radar while taking credit for the work of others and blaming others whenever his own decisions ended in catastrophe.

This is Carl Macek we're talking about.

Yes, it does sound like the sort of thing Macek would do, doesn't it? I doubt it, though, since what we're getting is Tommy Yune art as a "teaser". Odds are it's going to be an extremely brief and amateurish-looking OVA knocked out for a shoestring budget by some studio's janitorial staff like Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was.

This needs to be said - X-Xocets' Robotech Skull Knights project and any other film-based project are probably screwed now if it's seen as a threat or distraction to this mystery production HG is planning. Considering all the embarrassment that came to the last group that got the shaft, which was very screwed up to me, maybe discouraging like minded people's hopes early on is more humane.

Y'know what? That's a good thing. As you haven't been subjected to their company for nearly as long as I have, you probably missed the fact of life that the vast majority of Robotech fan projects turn out to be utterly unoriginal rubbish unfit for consumption by human, or even animal, audiences. At least the guys who made Genesis were trying to put their own spin on things... the blokes behind Skull Knights seem to just be trying to thieve as much from the Macross Zero OVA as they think they can get away with.

Killing more fan projects is only going to accelerate the rapid decay of Robotech's fan population. It increases the already overwhelming feeling of stagnation that's begun to get to even the most hardcore Robotech fans active in the online community.

If there ever was such a contractual caveat, I know of no contemporary example from Hollywood in which such an option was exercised by the original property owner. Not saying it's never existed, but it would be a rare and unusual exception if it did (or perhaps common, yet not feasible in any practical circumstance). More wishful thinking than anything.

The Harry Potter films. J.K. Rowling reserved for herself a good deal of creative control over the films.

While there are certainly cases where the film studio has complete control over a movie's production, this isn't an absolute rule. It all amounts to leverage. It's the film studio's desire to obtain the movie rights measured against the owner's willingness to cede over complete control.

I think most fans generally assume that the original owner has no input in a movie production because, oftentimes, the movie version radically strays from the source material or it simply flops at the box office.

The Harry Potter films. J.K. Rowling reserved for herself a good deal of creative control over the films.

While there are certainly cases where the film studio has complete control over a movie's production, this isn't an absolute rule. It all amounts to leverage. It's the film studio's desire to obtain the movie rights measured against the owner's willingness to cede over complete control.

I think most fans generally assume that the original owner has no input in a movie production because, oftentimes, the movie version radically strays from the source material or it simply flops at the box office.

Yes except the Harry Potter books is one of the highest selling book series in history, while RT is a little remembered 80's cartoon from a company that has no influence and little in the way of brand recognition.

One has to ask if the RT movie is such a major priority to WB that they can give some nobodies a say in one of their productions. That would be like WB giving a first time unknown director final cut on a big budget movie.

The Harry Potter films are an example of a veto backdoor contract, just one that wasn't exercised? Because that's what was being discussed in those posts.

As for individual properties, I assume nothing. As RD Clip mentioned below, realities play a part. The vast majority of all property owners never have any control in a film adaptation, even the big ones. J.K. Rowling happens to have as much money and influence as the most powerful people on the planet, which mitigated the circumstances of her property sale to WB (which has been explained many a time as an exception to typical studio property purchases and Rowling herself admitted no control over aspects of the film such as director). There was also the "little" matter of her future books and tentpole considerations for purchasing a property-in-progress. Getting back to the point, HG would have no such control. If not even the HLP can dictate to Paramount who will head a new "Dune" adaptation, a property owner like HG isn't going to pull a coup.

The Harry Potter films are an example of a veto backdoor contract, just one that wasn't exercised? Because that's what was being discussed in those posts.

No, not really... it seems unlikely that J.K. Rowling had the ability to veto the script for one or more of the Harry Potter movies, just based on what she herself had to say about her involvement. After due consultation with a reliable Potterhead (my ex), it does appear that J.K. Rowling was given the power to review the script for each film and delete any portions she felt were inconsistent with, or contradictory to, her vision for the story. The genesis of the whole "Dumbledore is gay" brouhaha was apparently one such edit wherein she deleted a scene where Dumbledore reminisces about an old (female) lover from the script, scratching it out and penning "Dumbledore is gay" in the margin.

An extremely unusual level of control for an author, but J.K. Rowling was the creator of one of the hottest properties of the time and someone with a frightening amount of money, which no doubt prompted them to make an exception in her case. An outfit as small-time as Harmony Gold isn't going to be given any such say.

I still don't see it being a movie in the sense that we all would consider a standard movie. Then again, who knows. I'm ready to see the boob missiles fire away.

Oh, and to add, here's a crappy copy of the image that was at the panel. Judge for yourself. http://www.flickr.com/photos/51879234@N07/4776673457/

Edited by Jasonc

I still don't see it being a movie in the sense that we all would consider a standard movie. Then again, who knows. I'm ready to see the boob missiles fire away.

Eh, it's not like it matters... after all, even in the best of times it's far more likely that a new Robotech project will crash and burn than that it will survive to see a proper release. Even if they do finish and release it, it's a safe bet that nobody in the industry or, indeed, outside the ever-shrinking Robotech fandom will actually care or even take notice.

If it ever comes out, it'll be exactly what we've come to expect from Harmony Gold... a badly-concealed attempt to continue masturbating what parts of the source material they can freely use to shake the fans down for some quick cash.

Oh, and to add, here's a crappy copy of the image that was at the panel. Judge for yourself. http://www.flickr.com/photos/51879234@N07/4776673457/

So, it's basically just this image flipped horizontally and with Sera substituted for the basic Inbit Protector?

No GIANT tits? NO cleavage?

okay...what happened to the real Tommy Yune?

either way not really impressed

As for individual properties, I assume nothing. As RD Clip mentioned below, realities play a part. The vast majority of all property owners never have any control in a film adaptation, even the big ones. J.K. Rowling happens to have as much money and influence as the most powerful people on the planet, which mitigated the circumstances of her property sale to WB (which has been explained many a time as an exception to typical studio property purchases and Rowling herself admitted no control over aspects of the film such as director). There was also the "little" matter of her future books and tentpole considerations for purchasing a property-in-progress. Getting back to the point, HG would have no such control. If not even the HLP can dictate to Paramount who will head a new "Dune" adaptation, a property owner like HG isn't going to pull a coup.

I agree that in all likelihood, Harmony Gold has no say over what Warner Bros. does with the movie. If I had to put money down on this, I'd say that you're right. But playing devil's advocate here, without a copy of the actual contract available, there's a very small chance that Harmony Gold could've reserved some veto power for itself. Not every contract written is a winner.

If there ever was such a contractual caveat, I know of no contemporary example from Hollywood in which such an option was exercised by the original property owner. Not saying it's never existed, but it would be a rare and unusual exception if it did (or perhaps common, yet not feasible in any practical circumstance). More wishful thinking than anything. Rule of thumb, the film will have zero input/control from HG. It'll be WB's baby.

Harrison Ford and the latest Indiana Jones movie is the most recent example, although that was an actor and the two producers (and why they finally agreed on the film that was made I'll never know...). The idea applies to property owners as well though.

Marie Crystal's pretty high too with over 50% of the vote and I thought people didn't like Southern Cross....

I'm holding my opinion until I see a clearer image.

I agree that in all likelihood, Harmony Gold has no say over what Warner Bros. does with the movie. If I had to put money down on this, I'd say that you're right. But playing devil's advocate here, without a copy of the actual contract available, there's a very small chance that Harmony Gold could've reserved some veto power for itself. Not every contract written is a winner.

I'm sure, contractually, HG does have some veto power over the LAM. As in, if it strays too far from their copyright, they have the ability to pull the license from WB/Macguire Ent.. Basically, breach-of-contract.

I'm sure, contractually, HG does have some veto power over the LAM. As in, if it strays too far from their copyright, they have the ability to pull the license from WB/Macguire Ent.. Basically, breach-of-contract.

That I'm pretty confidant they do not have. They would be lucky to get a veto option on the script (which does not mean the movie does not get made, it usually just means that small changes have to be made to please them - the Harry Potter example being a good case of this). For WB to sign ANY contract that states that HG could pull the license - HG is just not big enough to bother with those kinds of shenanigans.

I still don't get it. They should just give the people who attended Anime Expo for other, bigger reasons what they want.

With HG being such a small entity, and as desperate for cash and recognition as they are, I find it extremely difficult to believe they got anything like the leverage people are contemplating. It would also explain why they've been so vague about LAM details.

At that point, why didn't they just say "Comic-con" in all their answers....But if they're not ready to announce anything, chances of SDCC being somewhat the same as AX2010 are fairly high.

You might be right. Just like AX2010, they're getting just an hour on Thursday, the first day and nothing else so far, to fill up time. That mystery project might be treated like that Lebron James show that just happened; 55 minutes of nostalgia and then a flash of Sera enough to get people saying, "One more year! One more year!" again.

http://comic-con.org/cci/cci10_prog_thu.php

'>

You might be right. Just like AX2010, they're getting just an hour on Thursday, the first day and nothing else so far, to fill up time. That mystery project might be treated like that Lebron James show that just happened; 55 minutes of nostalgia and then a flash of Sera enough to get people saying, "One more year! One more year!" again.

'>

And like the fans of the New York Mets, they'll be saying "one more year" for the next several years.

I'm getting a lot of mixed signals... which is weird for Harmony Gold. You'd think Yune's second foray into animation would be a pretty big deal after the hiatus hoopla, but the way the hype machine is going for this "full-length movie" its been a pretty slow burn.

And with San Diego so big now, maybe McKeever couldn't book three hours of the same BS (like Robotech showing in Southeast Asia, #1 in Hulu, etc.) they spew every year?