HG and Robotech Debates

So let me get this right, RT fanatics are saying that Macross is ripping off a series that ripped it off? [...]

Pretty much, yeah... as jasonc said, they don't really have any logical grounds for thinking that's the case, it's just that they're casting about for any excuse they can find to pretend that Robotech still matters.

Also how many Japanese would of actually watched RT from what I heard that they coudl not market it over in Japan. I mean try and sell a product already over there again...More Oximorons....

Robotech's die-hard fans aren't exactly known for their logical thought processes. You're right, Robotech's very nature prevents the Legion of Dim at Harmony Gold from distributing it in Japan, so as a result it's a virtual nonentity over there. Some of the Wikipedia articles for Macross mention Robotech, but for the most part Japanese Macross fans don't seem to know what Robotech is. I once tried to explain Robotech to a friend of mine from Japan who was familiar with Macross, and her response was one of bewildered disbelief that anyone would intentionally combine three totally unrelated shows for purposes other than fan-fiction.

LOL, seriously. The day HG's crew actually manage to create something, is the day they can entertain the idea that someone stole it.

So, never then?

HG has a hard time to be creative as they haven't really created anything from scratch. And most of there stuff is all borrowed. Except for parts of the RTSC and hydonites sort of remind me of different robots in the past. Sort of like highly evoloved terminators where all life is the enemy.........

Really, Robotech has precious little that it can call its own. Quite a bit of it is either taken whole cloth from the originals, or "inspired" by whatever shows its creative director happened to be watching at the time.

The story is suppose to be a cross between the Invasion comics and LLA. No notes as to if there's going to be new animations, and or otherwise. It has been mentioned that there will be a lot of flashbacks to the New Generation events.

I've never heard speculation that Macross F enemy designs were based off of Robotech Inorganics before the last few post. That's stupid. They aren't even similar in appearance.

Smegalot makes a lot of sense. Something that I have posted everywhere as well. I feel Robotech needs to wrap up the SC, with the release of SR, and a final film closing out the Rick Hunter story arc, and giving up the core Macross/ Mospeada designs., and other borrowed aspects. Thus giving it the freedom to head out on its own.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Is anything really totally an original idea anymore? I see Macross Frontier and yes we have new characters, mecha, & storyline but borrows heavily from the original Macross concept with a faint hint of Mospeada. It seems like all these shows use a basic template and branch off with thier own takes. I'm a fan of Macross Frontier and I believe it was the shot in the arm that Macross needed to tell more exciting stories but it wasn't totally all that original too. Sometimes it felt like deja-vu with certain scenes. I hope one day they'll animate Macross R; to me that is an original concept that ditches a lot of things that Macross has relyed on for years.

First, you have the GN thingies! (GN being an obvious abreviation of Protoculture), the Solar reactors that are really hyper-photosynthesis chambers for the Flower of Life, and the clincher of all clinchers, the FLOWER SCENE at the end of the G-00 movie!

Allow me to fill your thoughts with a post I made in July 2010 regarding Gundam 00 in RT:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33067&view=findpost&p=860228

Protoculture particles would work much better than where they were trying to get it from. Just think, then we'll have Protoculture swords, Protoculture beam guns, Protoculture beam sabers, Protoculture missiles, Protoculture fields, Protoculture drives, etc... the Protoculture possibilities are endless. :D

I agree that not everything is orginal anymore, and there are to many influences these days.

But I agree with an old friend from years ago, there are only so many plots they can use for movies and the such. But politics and corporations are through all shows these days. And seems to be the norm, BSG has it and so does SG1. I think it is to add a bit of realism as these things are part of ordinary life.

enough of my ramblings....

I do not think this is news, but I still think it needs to be brought out because of how unnecessarily harsh it is.

Apparently, another person has been identified being involved in the Robotech LAM named Cary Fukunaga. Or at least he may have been thought to be getting involved at one time until he passed on it, or whoever was reading it misinterpreted a dash between "robo" and "tech." Another reminder of how generic the name Robotech is today? An unfortunate coincidence from Googling the various forms of "robo" and "tech?" Who knows, but again, it isn't real news until someone more reliable confirms it.

CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Edited by Einherjar

I do not think this is news, but I still think it needs to be brought out because of how unnecessarily harsh it is.

Apparently, another person has been identified being involved in the Robotech LAM named Cary Fukunaga. Or at least he may have been thought to be getting involved at one time until he passed on it, or whoever was reading it misinterpreted a dash between "robo" and "tech." Another reminder of how generic the name Robotech is today? An unfortunate coincidence from Googling the various forms of "robo" and "tech?" Who knows, but again, it isn't real news until someone more reliable confirms it.

CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN

Funny how the dash disappeared and the "R" capitalized itself from the article to the quote on RTX. I'm just sayin'...

They’re always surprised with what I want to do and don’t want to do. I think they’re surprised I don’t want to do robo-tech.

Funny how the dash disappeared and the "R" capitalized itself from the article to the quote on RTX. I'm just sayin'...

Yeah, I noticed that too and called the "poster" out on it on why they would ALTER their copy and paste of the article....and of course the response {CRICKETS CHIRPING}.

I'm surprised they didn't report how Warner Brother's firing of Charlie Sheen will benfit the Robotech Live Action Movie. ^_^

But give em' time, I'm sure the "I'll do anything for HG" brigade will find some connection. :D

Yeah, I noticed that too and called the "poster" out on it on why they would ALTER their copy and paste of the article....and of course the response {CRICKETS CHIRPING}.

I'm surprised they didn't report how Warner Brother's firing of Charlie Sheen will benfit the Robotech Live Action Movie. ^_^

But give em' time, I'm sure the "I'll do anything for HG" brigade will find some connection. :D

The firing of Charlie Sheen WON'T benefit Robotech? How can this be? With his show likely canceled, they can devote more resources into turning Robotech into a tent pole. Still, I kind of want a director to be named so we can get Shadow Rising, even if it sucks, so the story continues.

They’re always surprised with what I want to do and don’t want to do. I think they’re surprised I don’t want to do robo-tech.

This could be a reference to Transformer like movies. Robo (robot) tech (tech, sci-fi) type movies at the time of the interview. If indeed, he is referring to Robotech, then how is it that he can only talk, but chickens out? The interview also mentions that he wants to do stuff he likes, and stuff that's going to make him happy if he's going to invest years into. If he was approached to possibly do Robotech, then I'd say that's holding true to his quotes on the interview.

I think what's funny, is the assumption that Robotech is going to be this big time movie that's automatically going to give any director high credibility, and put them all the way to A+ directors. For all we know, and since speculation seems to be going one way in the fandom, perhaps the director saw the project, and saw a big pile of crap. Why invest time, and put your name on a "big movie" (if it is...) and associate your name to it if it's crap? I'm just sayin'... some people just don't think too far ahead of the game.

...I think what's funny, is the assumption that Robotech is going to be this big time movie that's automatically going to give any director high credibility, and put them all the way to A+ directors. For all we know, and since speculation seems to be going one way in the fandom, perhaps the director saw the project, and saw a big pile of crap...

The director saw the pitch and exclaimed "This is going to be my Prince of Persia, my Battlefield: Earth!"

WHY I AM GLAD THIS GUY DECIDED TO CHICKEN OUT. I REALLY DID NOT CARE FOR THIS GUY. HE CAN GO BACK TO DOING HIS EMO MOVIES.

Bravo, number one Robotech fan! You truly are shining pride of this fandom. Let it be said that any good director that turns down this silly cartoon movie is a pussy and doesn't deserve a career in Hollywood!

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't a director that actually knows how to direct his actors benefit the character-driven, angsty Robotech story?

I kind of want a director to be named so we can get Shadow Rising, even if it sucks, so the story continues.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by chrisk

Cary Fukunaga dice no a Robotech (Cary Fukunaga says no to Robotech)

facepalm7.jpg

Just let it burn, all of it, I say.

Also, they too scared to say any of this on the official Robotech site?

Edited by Einherjar

I agree that not everything is orginal anymore, and there are to many influences these days.

... there are only so many plots they can use for movies and the such. But politics and corporations are through all shows these days. And seems to be the norm, BSG has it and so does SG1. I think it is to add a bit of realism as these things are part of ordinary life.

True. But its how the story is told and concepts depicted is what can make or break a series.

facepalm7.jpg

Just let it burn, all of it, I say.

Also, they too scared to say any of this on the official Robotech site?

Definitely, the Robotech site is too scared to put this kind of info on the site as it's more negative publicity HG doesn't want. HG has to maintain as positive an atmosphere as possible to keep the franchise looking good. Still, kind of strange they don't announce new releases like the sidequel either but HG has pretty much acknowledged that the site is really just for "selling" Robotech merchandise.

So it's linked to their podcast, which probably references the original article on Screen Crave, which still says "robo-tech", which we still don't context for. Wow, talk about blowing it out of context...

Definitely, the Robotech site is too scared to put this kind of info on the site as it's more negative publicity HG doesn't want. HG has to maintain as positive an atmosphere as possible to keep the franchise looking good. Still, kind of strange they don't announce new releases like the sidequel either but HG has pretty much acknowledged that the site is really just for "selling" Robotech merchandise.

Actually, I meant the people trying to break the news (a.k.a., trying to make a connection that probably isn't there, perhaps intentionally) that Cary Fukunaga was loosely involved with Robotech at one point. At least one of them is a mod; they could get away with it anyway.

Remember, titles to shows and whatnot are usually capitalized at the beginning and also italicized or underlined when you type it. Also, don't forget that restricted sign since this is Robotech.

Edited by Einherjar

i just wish someone/s with more money than brains would buy the RT rights from HG so then they can make their money back with Macross property rights from japan (and thus putting RT into a box ala Raiders of the Lost Arc). has HG ever tried to get the rights to air macross anything? or if they did, have the japanesse basically told HG to scr*w themselves silly, in spite?

has HG ever tried to get the rights to air macross anything? or if they did, have the japanesse basically told HG to scr*w themselves silly, in spite?

Hm... well, I can't speak to why they shot it down, but I do remember Tommy mentioning that Harmony Gold had tried to sit down with Big West and hammer out some kind of licensing agreement, and that Big West politely but firmly declined. When it happened, they didn't say, but since they were apparently involved I'm going to guess sometime in the early 00's.

I'd be very interested in hearing Tom's story.

It's not like it's a big secret, or anything like that. There isn't even really big details of it involved. To me, it just reinforced the fact that HG has a bit of a complex, but it's stuff that most of us have either experienced, or already know.

In regards to the Cary Fukunaga debate, I was trying to figure out if that even qualifies as news? Robotech fans must be hurting for something. For all we know, he may have absolutely nothing to do with Robotech at all, in which case, they still have no clue what to do about a director. If he was referring to Robotech, and just misspelled it, then that still is a bad sign for the LAM, as it shows that not even big name directors want to work with it. I think if that's the case, the saying goes, "you can't make Chanel out of $hit". But I guess for those that supposedly "know Hollywood", they never taught them that at the Knowing Hollywood School.

It's not like it's a big secret, or anything like that. There isn't even really big details of it involved. To me, it just reinforced the fact that HG has a bit of a complex, but it's stuff that most of us have either experienced, or already know.

Obviously nothing happened as a result of the Big West/Harmony Gold-Tatsunoko discussion(s). And while I'm sure we all have a pretty good idea of what was said between the parties involved, a first-hand account is always preferable to speculation.

In regards to the Cary Fukunaga debate, I was trying to figure out if that even qualifies as news? Robotech fans must be hurting for something. For all we know, he may have absolutely nothing to do with Robotech at all, in which case, they still have no clue what to do about a director. If he was referring to Robotech, and just misspelled it, then that still is a bad sign for the LAM, as it shows that not even big name directors want to work with it. I think if that's the case, the saying goes, "you can't make Chanel out of $hit". But I guess for those that supposedly "know Hollywood", they never taught them that at the Knowing Hollywood School.

Well if was approached to direct the RTLAM it wasn't the fact he didn't want to direct Robotech but he prefers smaller independent productions not big budget blockbusters. He said it all through the article. Some directors don't like the studios having total control and are leaving their films.

Just saw this on the rt.com site:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2111296&forumid=31&pagenumber=1#post

I know it won't change anything but I never thought I'd see something like this on the rt.com site.

Meh, Mckeever will probably never gonna get punished for his rude behaviors.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2111296&forumid=31&pagenumber=1#post

I know it won't change anything but I never thought I'd see something like this on the rt.com site.

I sympathize with him/her, but he's/she's talking about Robotech. It's entire history, or at least the last few years, should have given a hint that it's not as wholesome as many, many people thought it was in the first place. Valid concerns and opposing opinions are pretty much unwanted these days.

Nothing says "pathetic" quite like standing up and vigorously defending the guy who's pissing on you. But I guess robotech fans are used to that sort of thing.

Oh, granted... there's something deeply wrong with the Robotech fans who are willing to defend a corporate toady who abuses and insults them on a regular basis, but I'd expect nothing less from the Robotech die-hards. After all, the minute magna_mozz69 said Robotech would need the support of the casual fans and Macross fans to thrive, it was pretty much inevitable that the fanatics would be coming out of the woodwork to decry it as madness and heresy. The fanatics see themselves as Robotech's "one true fandom", and would naturally resent the idea that their support isn't enough for Robotech to be successful. Defending McKeever is more like collateral damage from the process of defending Robotech from the idea that it's not doing as well as Harmony Gold claims it is.

Sounds like people bitching and moaning about valid stuff, then some mods doing the same old suck job to the staff, then more bitching and moaning about fans bitching and moaning, then more bitching and moaning about people bitching and moaning about past posts where the HG staff starts bitching and moaning. The whole site is one hot mess of people looking to validate their love for Robotech by acting like a twit w/ mad cow.

For the original poster, I understand his concerns, I do. Usually the people who take issue with things are the ones who actually care about how a series is being ran and going. It's ashamed that only the people who are looking for a job are on the HG is great emo bandwagon.

Is anything really totally an original idea anymore? I see Macross Frontier and yes we have new characters, mecha, & storyline but borrows heavily from the original Macross concept with a faint hint of Mospeada. It seems like all these shows use a basic template and branch off with thier own takes. I'm a fan of Macross Frontier and I believe it was the shot in the arm that Macross needed to tell more exciting stories but it wasn't totally all that original too. Sometimes it felt like deja-vu with certain scenes. I hope one day they'll animate Macross R; to me that is an original concept that ditches a lot of things that Macross has relyed on for years.

I agree in the sense that every Macross series since SDFM has followed the corporate formula. The musical love triangle with transforming jets. M7 leaned heavily on music, while MF has leaned heavily on the love triangle.

Where we see the creativity and originality in Macross is the OVA and movies were the production team has greater freedom from the corporate sponsors. Since typically the money is coming from many different sources and all their contributions seem to be fairly evenly distributed, none has a large enough stake to dictate what goes on the screen. That is when the Macross universe is truly explored.

Home video and film offer the ability to create edgy sophisticated stories that just wont fly on network TV, no matter what the time slot.

Edited by Zinjo