No Beagle Blow Superior... that blows superior...

EXO

Coming from a guy who wasn't alive at the time these things came out, are these things (the 1/35 legioss) really all that great? Sorry to sound like a n00b, but the fit and finish doesn't seem as awesome as some of the more modern releases.

Maybe I'm just being naive or something....

Coming from a guy who wasn't alive at the time these things came out, are these things (the 1/35 legioss) really all that great? Sorry to sound like a n00b, but the fit and finish doesn't seem as awesome as some of the more modern releases.

In the world of Legioss Toys, I though the Toynami version had a good design but the QC is atrocious. But the one jenius posted is the 1/35 scale, if you can find them, buy one as they are still the best ( A tad chunky, but the landing gear makes up for that), not to mention when I was a kid you could go to Toys R us, Target and KB Toys and pick one up, good times!! B))

Referring to the Gakken Legioss' as the "best" isn't really saying a whole lot when you consider its' competition. Toynami's Alpha/Legioss is, hands down, the most accurate toy compared to the line art. Unfortunately, it breaks way too easily due to obvious design flaws. CMs' Legioss is pretty robust, but CMs made too many needless revisions to the Legioss' classic design, which turned off a lot of fans. While Gakken's Legioss will never win any line art or posability contests, it's very large and solid as brick, which is enough to beat the meager competition. Gakken's nostalgia with older fans doesn't hurt it either.

Personally, I think an all-plastic version of Toynami's Alpha/Legioss with reinforced hands would solve it's design problems, but I don't believe a re-release is ever going to happen. Experience has shown that premium grade New Generation/Mospeada toys just don't sell.

The only real issue with the MPC Alpha where the arms. They didn't fit. If you made them close in fighter then the legs would pull up and make the whole body bow from the middle. The missile pod doors would break easily. The hands crumbled. And the die cast was too heavy for posing in soldier mode. And if you look at the pivot on the shoulders, it's just the surface plastic that's holding the whole thing to the body. No washers, thickness, no friction... and frankly kinda scary. As bad as the arms were, they're a nightmare to take apart. You have to break it open because it's glued shut. If Toynami was gonna insist on making crappy toys, you'd think they'd give you access on fixing it yourself. Also, the ability to take apart a toy like that encourages customization. Which means additional sales. What are they afraid of? Bootlegging? Lol. It's already bootleg quality. But aside from the arms the body and legs seemed solid. Aesthetically, I would get rid of the clown shoes and make the feet smaller, like on the Gakken.

I tell you this. There was a time when I had about 19 of the Toynami alphas, as I kinda inherited them from a store owner. They had a great matte finish to them, and they looked pretty good in guardian/armo-diver mode, and ok in robot mode, but were horribly designed in fighter mode. the landing gear didn't come down far enough, the chest stuck out too far, and as EXO said, the arms weren't made of enough reinforced plastic, and would often break when pulling the arms out. As a bonus, sometimes you got crumbling hands, and a head that was on crooked, and if you were a real lucky one, the legs didn't extend fully, as they were supposed to.

Now, compare to the Gakken 1/35, it was big, not as detailed and a bit blocky and chunky, but that was it. It was also a toy designed in the 80s. I would've been happier to see the Gakken scaled down to the Toynami size, and simply add the better color and finish, and add some of the modern posability design, than to have what came out recent. What was also cool, was the fact that the shoulder rocket didn't have to come off when transformed. In my opinion, the Gakkens are still the best of the Legioss/Alpha toys to date.

As much as I loved the Gakkens as a kid, the hip joint would ultimately break because of that tab in the back and the knees guards would eventually lose the spring. The thing I liked about the toynami was that the flaps next to the cockpit (forgot what you call those) would close up nice and neat in the back in soldier mode. Another thing that bugged me about the Gakken 1/35 was the paint scheme wasn't accurate. It's all just molded colors. They should have at least gave stickers to give the blank parts some color. Great toy for back then though.

As much as I loved the Gakkens as a kid, the hip joint would ultimately break because of that tab in the back and the knees guards would eventually lose the spring. The thing I liked about the toynami was that the flaps next to the cockpit (forgot what you call those) would close up nice and neat in the back in soldier mode. Another thing that bugged me about the Gakken 1/35 was the paint scheme wasn't accurate. It's all just molded colors. They should have at least gave stickers to give the blank parts some color. Great toy for back then though.

That should've been where Toynami took the old design, revamped it, to get the best of both worlds. Oh well, you can always want perfection, hardly ever comes. Anybody want MOSPEADA figures? B))

That should've been where Toynami took the old design, revamped it, to get the best of both worlds. Oh well, you can always want perfection, hardly ever comes. Anybody want MOSPEADA figures? B))

Where are you on that project? Got design specs yet?

Where are you on that project? Got design specs yet?

It's still being worked on. There's a couple things we're taking into consideration for the figures, computer design vs. full sculpt, how many sets, and possible additions to the set, along with extra gimmicks that will make it not just a "recast" project. There should be an update to that soon. Keep you guys posted and will have an update once more details are ironed out.

• 4 weeks later...

From whati hear, yacolog posted news that Beagle has passed through bankruptcy and liquidation into non-existence. Rumor has it a shinobu head and camera were among the items swooped up. No word on who has the final fuke prototype. All flags are at half-mass today in mospeada fandom... Maybe not, I suppose these events happened a while ago.

The fuke proto is safe. Someone friendly actually managed to save it. I'm guessing that the Shinobu head and camera went with the guy that put up that auction that Save posted. It's clear that that was one of the first signs of Beagle's liquidation. We tried bidding on that auction but it went for way more than we were willing to pay. The camera and head is not a big deal though, just that the fuke prototype made it out all in one piece.

The fuke proto is safe. Someone friendly actually managed to save it. I'm guessing that the Shinobu head and camera went with the guy that put up that auction that Save posted. It's clear that that was one of the first signs of Beagle's liquidation. We tried bidding on that auction but it went for way more than we were willing to pay. The camera and head is not a big deal though, just that the fuke prototype made it out all in one piece.

So is there any chance of this "someone friendly" allowing the Fuke to be reverse engineered into a conversion kit, or is that not an option?

Beagle :( But happy that they gave us what they did.

So is there any chance of this "someone friendly" allowing the Fuke to be reverse engineered into a conversion kit, or is that not an option?

Beagle :( But happy that they gave us what they did.

Can't really say because Beagle wasn't the sole proprietor of the molds. But you know I'm pushing for some kind of kit, right? :D

I posted up one of the figures that will be in a later set. You can check out the MOSPEADA figure set thread for the other pics, but here's one of them. These will be 1/55 figures.

post-582-0-27379400-1308517014_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i just saw a Toynami Scott Bernard VR-025F at a local store for around $200 (converted from local currency)... i'm thinking i should get this since it's pretty much sold out everywhere... when i saw it, "lonely soldier boy" was suddenly playing in my head, lol. i should get this, right? :unsure:

[singing]After all of the battles are over....[/singing] $200 is about the same as they were when they first came out. If you got the money and means, I'd say go for it.

i just saw a Toynami Scott Bernard VR-025F at a local store for around $200 (converted from local currency)... i'm thinking i should get this since it's pretty much sold out everywhere... when i saw it, "lonely soldier boy" was suddenly playing in my head, lol. i should get this, right? :unsure:

For that price I'd grab it right away!! :D

What's the word on bad guy toys from Mospeada? All the good guys with no one to fight with.

I for one was hoping beyond hope that the vinyl line of battlepods would do well enough for Toynami to proceed with some Invid...but ummm...yeh. Seeing as those idiots could not even manage to get more than 2 models out, I don't think we are gonna ever see any Invid/Inbit anything.. <_<

I for one was hoping beyond hope that the vinyl line of battlepods would do well enough for Toynami to proceed with some Invid...but ummm...yeh. Seeing as those idiots could not even manage to get more than 2 models out, I don't think we are gonna ever see any Invid/Inbit anything.. <_<

What I can't believe is there was a semi-decent toy from Matchbox ages ago, and no one's modded one with ball joints or anything. I mean the mold doesn't look too bad right, but no customs.....

What I can't believe is there was a semi-decent toy from Matchbox ages ago, and no one's modded one with ball joints or anything. I mean the mold doesn't look too bad right, but no customs.....

I happen to own two of the Matchbox Shocktroops and one Scout from back in my childhood, I have them in a box somewhere. The Shocktroops aren't bad at all--kinda big for today's stuff..ie 1:60 or 1:55 or whatever the Toynami Alphas are, the scout isn't anywhere close to the lineart, but then again, it's probably the only ones we'll ever get! Maybe I should dig them out and find a place for them.. :D

@ EXO, Jasonc, 505thAirborne - thanks for the solicited urgings! :lol:

i went back for it today and mulled over it for some minutes until the shop owner offered a 5% discount if i bought it right there and then. that sealed the deal and i'm now the proud owner of a 1/10 Toynami Scott Bernard VR-052F (probably the last one that's for sale here in Asia). :)

i just realized it's been more than 2 years since this was released :lol: ... i still see a few of the Rands around but i've never been able to find a Scott/Stig the past couple of years (although i wasn't really looking in earnest)... but then i read on this thread a few weeks ago that there will never be any more of these produced coz of what happened to Beagle. now i'm just happy that i have one despite the shortcomings that have been mentioned previously in this thread and in the reviews that i've read... :D

post-8437-0-41498500-1310184954_thumb.jpg

@ EXO, Jasonc, 505thAirborne - thanks for the solicited urgings! :lol:

i went back for it today and mulled over it for some minutes until the shop owner offered a 5% discount if i bought it right there and then. that sealed the deal and i'm now the proud owner of a 1/10 Toynami Scott Bernard VR-052F (probably the last one that's for sale here in Asia). :)

i just realized it's been more than 2 years since this was released :lol: ... i still see a few of the Rands around but i've never been able to find a Scott/Stig the past couple of years (although i wasn't really looking in earnest)... but then i read on this thread a few weeks ago that there will never be any more of these produced coz of what happened to Beagle. now i'm just happy that i have one despite the shortcomings that have been mentioned previously in this thread and in the reviews that i've read... :D

Good purchase, and at 5% off. Slightly less than MSRP is pretty good, considering these are selling for more than that in some places. Enjoy the purchase.

Happy for ya m0n5t3r!!glad I bought 2 Stick,s back in the day.

Although I don,t wanna ,I may have to sell one, to fund my trip to China.(or atleast pay off my credit card)

And I,ve already broken my first(my fault) was weathering it and put some paint into the wheel hole(where the peg goes),it dried and then transformed it back into bike mode ,put the peg back into the hole and couldn,t get it back out...snaped off the peg trying to get it out again,and now the peg is stuck in there!!

It was now totally useless..in rage I thru it away thinking "fu#k it I,ve got another one"..and now I may have to sell the last one I,ve got...I know I know..I,m an idoit!! <_<

I was chatting with Peter about this. I too wish someone would make the baddies. I did this like 15 years ago. It's VERY chipped and quickly repaired after years of moving around the world. All the claw ends are shipped off too. It's molded in fiberglass resin so it is kinda brittle. It was also my first real sculpt so it shows in the poor details :D It's 1/48th scale to go with the model kit.

So who do we talk to about getting the baddies!?!? - MT

post-2518-0-20677300-1310229437_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-93235500-1310229442_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-97816100-1310229448_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-21499100-1310229454_thumb.jpg

I was chatting with Peter about this. I too wish someone would make the baddies. I did this like 15 years ago. It's VERY chipped and quickly repaired after years of moving around the world. All the claw ends are shipped off too. It's molded in fiberglass resin so it is kinda brittle. It was also my first real sculpt so it shows in the poor details :D It's 1/48th scale to go with the model kit.

So who do we talk to about getting the baddies!?!? - MT

A few of those would look so good on my MOSPEADA shelf.