No Beagle Blow Superior... that blows superior...

EXO

Sucks that we have yet to get a decent modern Legioss toy. I have the Aoshima Zeta which was a very very bad lemon, and the CMs Zeta which was better but I hate how the gun is not very secure in the hands and how nothing locks into place in fighter mode.

Toynami 2.0? lol. You know Yamato would have released that like 2 years ago.

Just to chime in here, I have to agree with Lonely Soldier Boy (as I seem to usually find myself doing) and JasonC. After seeing the comparison pics, I actually like the Wave kit even more.

So far, my displays consist of what in-scale ride armors I have all together, and then the Beagle toys, blue Legioss, blue Tread, and shadow Legioss on a higher shelf in back (everything else tends to stay boxed up... I guess I'm a bit minimalistic when it comes to displays). The Wave is making me consider having a shelf for some decent Mospeada models, though I'd really love to see an extension of this line, including the Tread and various Inbit, all in the same scale.

Speaking of models, does anyone remember the little spaceship die cast models that Hasbro makes (made?)? Mostly Star Wars stuff, though they had a line of Battlestar Galactica ones too. I'd really love to see all of the fleet spaceships from Mospeada done like there, just for displaying in the background. I really loved the design of those.

I'm a huge Mospeada fan and I won't be getting this, at least not until I see what is later down the line.

Scale does not thrill me, and I have this same thing many times over in various forms.

I guess the iconic hero mech always has to come first, and the sales numbers probably support this.

If I had my own company I would do the Tread in Diver mode with all those bomb racks as we've seen so many times before.

Everyone would KNOW what was next - a Legioss Soldier, and they would buy it up.

There has never even been a kit of the Tread in Diver mode, let alone with all those coveted extras.

We are aging fans! Give us something new! HECK WAVE - Come out with the Phalanx in 1/72 FIRST - sheesh (and show exclusive 1/60th version?)

We have Tomahawks! In every scale!

I hear all the pros and cons about the design of this Legioss and agree with most on this thread - but in the end I'm not buying...

I guess the iconic hero mech always has to come first, and the sales numbers probably support this.

I guess we have a loose definition of "iconic" but whatever. The product description called Mospeada an anime masterpiece too.

If I had my own company I would do the Tread in Diver mode with all those bomb racks as we've seen so many times before.

Everyone would KNOW what was next - a Legioss Soldier, and they would buy it up.

There has never even been a kit of the Tread in Diver mode, let alone with all those coveted extras.

The many times being that one piece of artwork right. The Tread Armor Diver is kind of lame so I don't think people would want a mode of it straight out. Maybe a combo idea like the Wave VF-1 where you take a fighter and Battroid kit to make a Gerwalk. Also it's a good way to convince your bosses to invest in the next item when you start with the less popular figure.

We have Tomahawks! In every scale!

Did we hit peak Tomahawk

plus we never got a 1/48 version

I hear all the pros and cons about the design of this Legioss and agree with most on this thread - but in the end I'm not buying...

Well I guess if you don't buy one they won't make more :/

Mospeada toy lines have had a nasty habit of not finishing.

Just wondering if it has anything to do with the order of release, or the creativity if giving the fans something never had before.

Would the Beagle Fuke as the second release provided the kick to get all 4??

Edited by DarrinG

Mospeada toy lines have had a nasty habit of not finishing.

Just wondering if it has anything to do with the order of release, or the creativity if giving the fans something never had before.

Would the Beagle Fuke as the second release provided the kick to get all 4??

If the Bartley was the second release..? We'll never know I guess. The rumor I heard was that without Toynami's support we never would have got a first release.. Beagle were the last to the party and had the most expensive piece, which was delayed multiple times over 3 months.

As for "giving the fans something never had before", part of the problem was that suddenly the market was over-saturated with ride armors - CMs, MegaHouse and then Beagle. CMs was the only one to finish the line, ride armors and Legioss/Treads.

:(

Ok I know this might shock you but here's a protip.

Nobody cares about Mospeada.

In fact, people in Japan seemed to like Dorvack a lot more since it started airing three days later and lasted 11 episodes longer.

Unless you can convince a ton of people to care about buying every single high priced merchandise (at full retail) from just another robot show you are boned.

Why are you assuming that giving fans something never seen before will make them instantly buy it?

Edited by VF5SS

Why are you assuming that giving fans something never seen before will make them instantly buy it?

Not instantly. But had Toynami released a MPC Rook Cyclone, fans would either own it or want it.

I have a friend who has no interest in toys or collectibles, but upon seeing my MPC Cyclone said, "I gotta get me one of those!"

Well there must be SOME Mospeada fans out there, enough for so many companies to continue to release products so many years later.

I cannot speak for all of those fans though, only myself. And for ride-armors the RAY release seems to always come second. Fans know that.

That release order seemed to fly when the price point was $50 or below. But when Beagle did the same order with a $200 / $250 toy I think even hardcore Mospeada fans said - "I'll wait for the Fuke - or Yellow, I only have so much jack right now"

So if that is true, maybe Wave is playing it the most safe in going with the usual order here, blue legioss first, the green and so on, at a LOW price point. So even casual fans who like the series will just plunk down their pre-order.

Guess I might be speaking from frustration in that we may only have a few more Mospeada releases left in the tank - and shucks if I wasn't selfish and wanted something unique and interesting for a change.

I cannot prove some of my points without an official poll - but wouldn't most Macross fans like to see a Phalanx release on ANY kind now instead of another Tomahawk? If a poll was taken and that turned out to be true then that might hold for Mospeada as well...

It doesn't make business sense to release a brand new mold before a repaint or minor tweak of an existing mold. The costs of issuing far outweigh the additional sales. The ray release for beagle had an extremely low break even point, a fuke release would have had a very high break even point. So, even if they did sell a lot more fukes than rays chances are they would have reaped less overall profit. That is why you almost always see mold milking before entirely new products. A business must also always lead with its expected best seller to ensure viability.

So what you're saying is Beagle's capital is so low, that they simply could not afford to release Fuke second?

They absolutely needed the cash from the Ray release to fund the next model and so on?

It doesn't seem like that plan worked.

But for a niche company I guess that's how it was.

Toynami's Regults may be about to suffer the same fate.

I wonder how the line would have done if they had enough wiggle room to do the Glaug second, then LIGHT missile, then SCOUT Type and THEN go back and do the heavy missile last -- EVEN if the tooling was easiest and all done for the Heavy Missile to be second in the release cycle.

Just like the Ray with Beagle - he was done and tooled and ready to go, but hold off and keep fans interest by release something more obscure next, something not as similar to the first release? Then come back with the Ray and get the money you would have anyway if you had released him earlier...

Well there must be SOME Mospeada fans out there, enough for so many companies to continue to release products so many years later.

Yes but we never seem to be enough for the companies to complete certain toy lines :(

That release order seemed to fly when the price point was $50 or below. But when Beagle did the same order with a $200 / $250 toy I think even hardcore Mospeada fans said - "I'll wait for the Fuke - or Yellow, I only have so much jack right now"

A true Mospeada fan must get all ride armor releases no matter the price!!! :p :P

Yes but we never seem to be enough for the companies to complete certain toy lines :(

Didn't CMs complee their line? They even had bonus figures. I just got the basic ride armors. Wish I could afford all of them.

A true Mospeada fan must get all ride armor releases no matter the price!!! :p :P

I skipped the Megahouse releases... lol. Looked too weird.

Didn't CMs complee their line? They even had bonus figures. I just got the basic ride armors. Wish I could afford all of them.

I skipped the Megahouse releases... lol. Looked too weird.

Yes, your right about CMs, I even got 4 pilotless legioss!! But they could've made some baddies so I guess they didn't complete "all" the line right? ;)

Hehe, I skipped the toynami releases in favor of the CMs's. So I guess by my standards I'm not a true fan!!

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Wish Yamato would go for the Mospeada license. They seem like the only company that would strive to make a better Legioss toy. Toynami has done nothing new since the MPC Alpha and CMs seemed to just come and go for the anniversary.

Pity Yamato didn't pick up the pieces from Beagle going bust... :(

Didn't the two have shared contract designers?

Why would Yamato want anything to do with Mospeada after Beagle's Ride Armors crashed and burned?

Good question. dry.gif

From what I vaguely remember the Beagles sold pretty well for a premium toy... maybe the Rey didn't.

Near nil development cost and the ability do distribute through their online shop to people willing to accept a premium price, would be part of my answer. If they got support from Toynami then there would be an overseas market for the Robotech fans too - the Scott sold pretty well, the Rand not so well.

Yeah, it's a moot point, but fun to speculate. :)

Wish Yamato would go for the Mospeada license. They seem like the only company that would strive to make a better Legioss toy. Toynami has done nothing new since the MPC Alpha and CMs seemed to just come and go for the anniversary.

This has been my hope for a long time. They seemed to handle the Megazone 23 vehicles in a way that would be highly applicable here (mostly common mold components, with some slight variations in add-on pieces and in coloring, just like MOSPEADA would require). They did the same with Bubblegum Crisis. We could've had a ride-armor triumvirate!

Then again, I think they stopped producing both of those lines already, so they either feel the fanbase is tapped out, or just didn't find it all that profitable.

I think a sequel or remake of mospeada should be done. Didn't they do it for bubble gum crisis? (not as good as the old show I admit) And they also had that appleseed cg movie (and sequel to it) when there was already the older 2d handdrawn appleseed anime before that. I Don't see why they can't take a risk on a remake Mospeada show. Maybe modernise the mecha a bit (make the legioss a bit sleeker but basically have the same overall feel of the old) and give the inbit more depth instead of making them generic monsters throughout the whole series. (do inbit have feelings? do they have sex? what about fighting amongst each other or are they so mind controlled by the one queen that independent thought is not allowed? ie like zentradi)

Shame the beagle ride armor series could not be completed. :( I'm surprised at the lack of hype this toy gets here. You guys care about enemy mecha this, legioess that. But the ride armour is what made this show unique from macross. If the legioss was not a transforming jet they could have made the show just be about people flying around shooting monsters in power armour (like the little guy in the game Space Harrier) and it would have been fine with me lol

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I think a sequel or remake of mospeada should be done. Didn't they do it for bubble gum crisis? (not as good as the old show I admit) And they also had that appleseed cg movie (and sequel to it) when there was already the older 2d handdrawn appleseed anime before that. I Don't see why they can't take a risk on a remake Mospeada show. Maybe modernise the mecha a bit (make the legioss a bit sleeker but basically have the same overall feel of the old) and give the inbit more depth instead of making them generic monsters throughout the whole series. (do inbit have feelings? do they have sex? what about fighting amongst each other or are they so mind controlled by the one queen that independent thought is not allowed? ie like zentradi)

Shame the beagle ride armor series could not be completed. :( I'm surprised at the lack of hype this toy gets here. You guys care about enemy mecha this, legioess that. But the ride armour is what made this show unique from macross. If the legioss was not a transforming jet they could have made the show just be about people flying around shooting monsters in power armour (like the little guy in the game Space Harrier) and it would have been fine with me lol

There was some talk of this (or maybe it was just some sketches suggesting it), being done in line with the grittier, WWII-inspired bent of the original plots for the show.

post-7028-0-63184100-1317402348_thumb.jpg

From what I've heard - The show's title, roughly derived from 'Motor Speeder', was originally centered on the bikes. Aramaki was requested to introduce a transforming jet similar to the Valkyrie due to it's popularity. The Tread was then added by the studio as an afterthought.

The Beagle Mospeada is my fave toy after the 1/48 Valk. I'm still miffed the line was canceled after we were so close... :angry:

As for the mind-controlled Inbit, they gained autonomy when they evolved to the human form, at which time they began fighting amongst themselves etc...

Edited by Tober

There was some talk of this (or maybe it was just some sketches suggesting it), being done in line with the grittier, WWII-inspired bent of the original plots for the show.

Those sketches are awesome, which book is that from? B))

I would like a sequel. I wish Toynami would milk their Alpha and Beta molds a bit more and do some custom schemes. Low Viz, Jolly Rogers (ahem, Skull Squadron), etc as well as implementing some improvements (slightly longer LERX would eliminate the arched back in fighter, etc).

Speaking of my Beta, I pulled it out yesterday and was admiring the heft of it... I noticed the right hip doesn't seem to ratched anymore while the left does.... other than that, it seems normal.