Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

I,m more excited about the wave 1/100 vf-1j,soon too be released,now that,s what a battroid should look like,the gnu looks pretty close though!!

You're suppose to use the Bandai Tamashii Stand. You can still use other stand such as revoltech and Figma, the Figma stand is quite handy for it.

Here's a example with revoltech stand, the revoltech pegs into the smaller adapter.

VF-1Jpose.jpg

Another one with Figma Stand.

VF-19kaipose.jpg

If you were able to curve the tape measure perfectly you might find him a tad small. I don't know how tall he's supposed to be but if he's in the 5'-6' range I'd say the pilot looks roughly accurate (it's really hard to measure due to his shape and posture).

My review is up on anymoon.com. Please check it out and let me know if you see anything I missed or anything like that -

Another good review from you jenius. But here are a couple points that came to mind while reading:

• No mention on the lack of side covers. Should be a (half-)minus point against the Hi-Metal and while we're at it, also against the Yamato Ver.2s
  • You're quite harsh and keep complaining about the head positions on Yamato's Ver.2s, sometimes making it sound like Battroid is a complete fail because of this.
    At the same time your 1/48 reviews seem to be more lenient about Battroid proportions and as far as I can remember never really critically complained about
    in direct comparison to another VF-1 toy. Why the so strongly difference in appreciation here?

Another good review from you jenius. But here are a couple points that came to mind while reading:

• No mention on the lack of side covers. Should be a (half-)minus point against the Hi-Metal and while we're at it, also against the Yamato Ver.2s
  • You're quite harsh and keep complaining about the head positions on Yamato's Ver.2s, sometimes making it sound like Battroid is a complete fail because of this.
    At the same time your 1/48 reviews seem to be more lenient about Battroid proportions and as far as I can remember never really critically complained about
    in direct comparison to another VF-1 toy. Why the so strongly difference in appreciation here?

some people have different options on what looks good and what's important. Like how you think side covers should be mandatory accessories, and I'm thankful that Yamato hasn't included them on any of the releases I want/have.

I'll chime in and give my two cents on these questions:

Well, side covers should have been mandatory on the 1/60 v2 as the gap between the chest and the back is HUGE compared to other VF1 transformable toys (the 1/48, beside the gap being less noticeable, had a sort of built-in system that, while not perfect, certainly lessened this problem). I didn't notice any huge gap in this new incarnation.

As for the complains about the head position on the 1/60 v2, Genius is right. I'm one of those who can't really stand the way the head sits so high in battroid. There are ways to lessen the ugliness, but it's still a design decision that bothers me (along with the skinny shoulders). And what't to criticize about the 1/48 line? It's pure beauty!

I'll chime in and give my two cents on these questions:

Well, side covers should have been mandatory on the 1/60 v2 as the gap between the chest and the back is HUGE compared to other VF1 transformable toys (the 1/48, beside the gap being less noticeable, had a sort of built-in system that, while not perfect, certainly lessened this problem). I didn't notice any huge gap in this new incarnation.

As for the complains about the head position on the 1/60 v2, Genius is right. I'm one of those who can't really stand the way the head sits so high in battroid. There are ways to lessen the ugliness, but it's still a design decision that bothers me (along with the skinny shoulders). And what't to criticize about the 1/48 line? It's pure beauty!

The beauty is really subject to the eyes of the beholder. To me the only thing that the 1/48 wins over V2 is the size. That will be another thread so let's stick on the 1/100 VF-1J.

Side Covers: Bandai was seriously damned if they did and damned if they didn't there. I don't like parts-formers so I have never been a fan of side covers. If Bandai had included them more people would have complained about all the fiddily little parts that the 1/100 came with (even if so many of them are optional). I don't mind Bandai foregoing that entire conversation by excluding two parts that pretty much every VF-1 toy ever has not included. If Bandai releases super parts or a GBP it'd be nice to see them there.

V2 Battroid: I just can't get over that head position. For me it's a lot easier to overlook slender arms than a misplaced head. I'm going to change all my various 1/48 posts and all my various 1/60V2 posts into 2 mega reviews. When I do that I'll also include comparisons to the line art for both. I have my opinions but I try to let people decide for themselves and I still gave the V2 pretty high marks because I realize that head thing is something that might irk me more than most.

Edited by jenius

Side Covers: Bandai was seriously damned if they did and damned if they didn't there. I don't like parts-formers so I have never been a fan of side covers. If Bandai had included them more people would have complained about all the fiddily little parts that the 1/100 came with (even if so many of them are optional). I don't mind Bandai foregoing that entire conversation by excluding two parts that pretty much every VF-1 toy ever has not included. If Bandai releases super parts or a GBP it'd be nice to see them there.

OK, if a mostly parts-free transformation was the priority here, then I see where you are coming from. My reasoning though is based on the overall looks and any extra parts that may help to enhance it. If Yamato/Bandai can supply me with removable/replaceable intakes from the get-go, then I think side covers - which are way more integral for the appearance of Battroid mode - should be mandatory, regardless if it has been done in the past or not.

V2 Battroid: I just can't get over that head position. For me it's a lot easier to overlook slender arms than a misplaced head. I'm going to change all my various 1/48 posts and all my various 1/60V2 posts into 2 mega reviews. When I do that I'll also include comparisons to the line art for both. I have my opinions but I try to let people decide for themselves and I still gave the V2 pretty high marks because I realize that head thing is something that might irk me more than most.

If you don't like what Yamato did with the 1/60V2 Battroid then that is absolutely fine with me, I don't want to force a different opinion on you.

I just seemed to notice that you tend to highlight the slightly wrong head position more often, than say the overlong nosecone on the 1/48s. But now that I know that it irks you a lot, I'll read your reviews with this in mind.

It's funny you should mention the overlong nose on the 1/48. In my Hi-metal review I did a side view fighter comparison of several VF-1 toys and the line art. When I make my "1/48 mega review" there will be a similar shot. I'll also include the battroid's compared to that battroid line art. When I have those photos done there will be more discussion on the 1/48's issues with the visual proof to back it up. The newer reviews, like this hi-metal review, have the benefit of coming after I started pulling in line art for my discussions so I've been a lot more critical since doing that. Even my initial 1/60 V2 reviews didn't have the line art included so there will be more conversation (including examples of where the 1/60V2 nails it) when that "mega review" is done also. It's a constantly evolving site (with any luck) which admittedly makes comparing the remarks I made a couple years ago to current posts difficult.

Note: I also bag on the V2 for the shoulders but that's because I seemingly bought every V2 that's known to have shoulder issues... go figure.

Great review as usual, Jenius

As to comparing your pictures with the lineart I think it's a great idea.

Though there might be some linearts (like the one of battroid VF-1J for example) that I'm very happy that this toy doesn't follow too closely... the Toynami looks closer to that battroid lineart to me :)

I also just received a VF-1J w. super parts from the HLJ sale offer from a few weeks ago and a shoulder snapped on the first transformation... it still looks great in battroid on the shelf but that arm is only waiting to fall off next time I touch it

Hopefully the Bandai VF is more user friendly and also looks more fun to pose in battroid

I'm one of those people that has never been bothered by the neck on the V2. In fact, until it was pointed out on this forum, I never even noticed. Frankly speaking, the way the pilot sits really far forward in the V2's cockpit bothers me much more. Shoulder hinge issues aside, I still think the V2 is the best toy of the VF-1 so far.

The Hi-Metal is good for its size. but the QC issues on mine were a turn off.

Graham

Graham posted a review last page.

Graham, I just checked it out, it sucks that you got one with glue on the intake cover. I checked it out and it doesn't even seem like there's anything with any business being glued in that area.

So in a way your are saying that its loose ?

The only loose areas on mine are the knee swivel joints (a bit loose) and the gunpod fist to gunpod connection (very loose). Everything else is nice and tight.

My biggest QC complaint is the glued on intake cover. I've spent a long time trying to pry this off, first with my fingernail, then with a nail file and then with a pocket knife and it is not budging.

And I've said it before, but the rear of the missiles painted red, really, really bugs me. Thinking of using some thinner to try and remove the paint.

Graham

Just noticed something else.

In fighter mode, when viewed side on, the gunpod is not parallel to the bottom of the fighter. The muzzle is angled up, so the muzzle is nearly pointing at the plane's nose.

Looks weird.

Graham

post-11-127850846769_thumb.jpg

Just noticed something else.

In fighter mode, when viewed side on, the gunpod is not parallel to the bottom of the fighter. The muzzle is angled up, so the muzzle is nearly pointing at the plane's nose.

Looks weird.

Graham

It does look off, reminds me of my VF100 VF-25S, except the muzzle points away from the fighter and towards the ground.

My gribe about this little guy is there are many residue left on the surface here and there and the sprue mark are handled pretty badly. Some sprue marks are sanded and left with sanding mark here and there.

There is a major portion on the back plate, right infront of the backpack hinge, has a big portion of residue. There red paint on the leg fins already chipped off right from the box.

DSC02490.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

DSC02472.jpg

DSC02473.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

Edited by Vi-RS

I just got mine today. I'm not fond of the fighter or gerwalk modes but Battroid is where it's at. It looks great posing next to my two Toynami Regults. I'm also very impressed with some of the transformation/joint ideas used on this valk. Despite being small and toy-like (it is a toy...) it feels very solid. None of my 1/60 Yammies feel as stable as this little guy. I think I'll be springing for the VF-19S now.

I'm one of those people that has never been bothered by the neck on the V2. In fact, until it was pointed out on this forum, I never even noticed. Frankly speaking, the way the pilot sits really far forward in the V2's cockpit bothers me much more. Shoulder hinge issues aside, I still think the V2 is the best toy of the VF-1 so far.The Hi-Metal is good for its size. but the QC issues on mine were a turn off. Graham

To be honest the only things I don't like about the V2 are the aforementioned shoulder issues, and the small fin scratching into the vertical stabilizer when using the FAST packs.

This toy looks cool but just so tiny for the price.

I'm sure the amount of small parts tooled up for this release contributed to the price. Compared to the 1/100 Toynami's there's probably almost double the amount of parts if not more.

Why is the visor painted dark grey? In the other poster's posts it's white.

either the owner painted it to his liking.. i for one like the painted scheme visor rather than the albino look of the vf1j no paint visor.

its a preference :)

Why is the visor painted dark grey? In the other poster's posts it's white.

I have it painted gray.

either the owner painted it to his liking.. i for one like the painted scheme visor rather than the albino look of the vf1j no paint visor.

its a preference :)

Yup I never like the white visor, it looks weak on the face of white VF-1J. The gray visor adds some depth and highlight on the head, IMO.