Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

1) DX Koenig is probably more like 1/120 scale than 1/100 and that's why it's not part of the Hi-Metal line but rather the Robot Spirits line

2) It's very silly to say "This company should make all the toys that aren't proven money makers since we already own the toys that are." If they're proven money-makers they're going to get made first.

3) Yamato and Bandai pull from the same statistics on toy sales and probably very similar market research to decide what gets made. If Bandai makes all the same toys as Yamato it's because that's what the market indicates people will buy, not because Bandai is copying Yamato.

Agreed.

To those of you effectively going, "what about the VF-19, then, huh??": Do you honestly believe that Yamato didn't make that one until now because they thought it was unprofitable? Like I said, it's more likely that it's just because they simply COULDN'T. It seems they worked out some deal with Bandai or Bandai gave up their exclusive rights and only then did we finally get VF-22s, VF-11Cs, and now the Fire Valk is coming... and we may even get the VF-17 in 1/60, if rumour is worth anything.

But Bandai have already hinted that the next Hi-metals will be the YF-19 (again) and the YF-21 (again). That sounds very much like playing it safe to me.

On the other hand, the markets for 1/60 and 1/100 scales are quite different, mainly due to the price point. So a Hi-metal VF-4 may be more profitable than a Yamato 1/60 one. Who knows. I'm just saying, it ain't likely.

Edited by Renato

To those of you effectively going, "what about the VF-19, then, huh??": Do you honestly believe that Yamato didn't make that one until now because they thought it was unprofitable?

Not at all. Just saying that it doesn't jive with your "Bandai only makes what Yamato made first" theory. :p

Not at all. Just saying that it doesn't jive with your "Bandai only makes what Yamato made first" theory. :p

OK, strictly speaking you are right, but there is evidence that Bandai did reverse-engineer it from the Yamato YF-19, you can see it in the early development photos.

OK, strictly speaking you are right, but there is evidence that Bandai did reverse-engineer it from the Yamato YF-19, you can see it in the early development photos.

Shoji Kawamori himself has the rights to take Valkyrie toy transformation designs to whoever is making the toys. I mean, Kawamori is the one who formulates the base transformation system of all Valkyrie toys.

That and the team that designed the Yamato YF-19 toy may have well been the team that designed the Bandai VF-19kai. Afterall, it seems that toy designing is contracted out and not necessarily done in-house. It was that way with the old 1/55 Takatoku toy too.

Edited by Vifam7

Shoji Kawamori himself has the rights to take Valkyrie toy transformation designs to whoever is making the toys. I mean, Kawamori is the one who formulates the base transformation system of all Valkyrie toys.

That and the team that designed the Yamato YF-19 toy may have well been the team that designed the Bandai VF-19kai. Afterall, it seems that toy designing is contracted out and not necessarily done in-house. It was that way with the old 1/55 Takatoku toy too.

Interesting. Makes sense, I guess.

No, the team that designed the 1/60 Yamato VF-19Kai, is definitely a completely different group to the people that designed the 1/100 Hi-Metal VF-19Kai for Bandai.

Graham

We're not talking about the 1/60 Kai, we're talking about the Yamato YF-19 and the Hi-metal VF-19kai. Confusing, I know.

I believe that was FLEX, wasn't it? If so, they could have engineered the hi-metal too since I heard that they did the VF-27 for Bandai.

We're not talking about the 1/60 Kai, we're talking about the Yamato YF-19 and the Hi-metal VF-19kai. Confusing, I know.

I believe that was FLEX, wasn't it? If so, they could have engineered the hi-metal too since I heard that they did the VF-27 for Bandai.

IIRC, FLEX didn't work on the final YF-19 1/60 prototype, it was primarily SOLID.

Regarding the wings: How are the wings when changing them up? I still have nightmares about the transformable Revoltech Valks. My Roy Focker wings did not want to stay on. Just touching them briefly would be enough to make them fall off.

Regarding the wings: How are the wings when changing them up? I still have nightmares about the transformable Revoltech Valks. My Roy Focker wings did not want to stay on. Just touching them briefly would be enough to make them fall off.

No problems at all with the wings on the Hi-Metal when transforming. Since it's not needed to swap the wings to transform, i don't know how loose it gets if one does constantly swap the wings.

The Revoltechs were horrible. Everybody had issues with those wings falling off.

The clips for the Hi-Metal wings (at least on mine) is very strong and will not break free unless you deliberately pull on the wing with a little force. If you never swap the wings you could easily forget that they are even removable at all.

The clips for the Hi-Metal wings (at least on mine) is very strong and will not break free unless you deliberately pull on the wing with a little force. If you never swap the wings you could easily forget that they are even removable at all.

Was there a reason why they designed the wings to be removable? Or, was it just in case it broke, like CM's did with the Mospeada Ride Armor extra parts?

Was there a reason why they designed the wings to be removable? Or, was it just in case it broke, like CM's did with the Mospeada Ride Armor extra parts?

The hi-metal comes with 2 sets of wings, one completely flat for battroid, and one set comes with hardpoint holes for the missiles. I don't really believe anyone would be picky enough to make the second set of non-missile attachable wings necessary, but, oh wait......

Purely aesthetics. Just a choice of whether you like smooth clean wings or missiles attached.

No problems at all with the wings on the Hi-Metal when transforming. Since it's not needed to swap the wings to transform, i don't know how loose it gets if one does constantly swap the wings.

The Revoltechs were horrible. Everybody had issues with those wings falling off.

Thank guys!

You mean after the DRYL valks get released? I'm hoping to see 1D, Max TV 1A, Kakizaki TV 1A, a little full vermillion action with my toynami battlepods and upcoming glaug, hell yes.

If they did that, I would have no problems buying these up.

The fact that the landing gear is swapped out bothers me. I prefer retractable landing gear, but I admit this is total irrational nit picking on my part, since I would mostly pose these flying. These toys do look fantastic. Eventually I figure I'll buy some of these...

I hear Japan's toy industry SUCKS right now. I'm starting to doubt we'll see much mold milking unless the DYRL valks do really well (this was also why Max's 1J was just an exclusive instead of a regular release). If we do see more mold-milking I wouldn't be shocked if all are exclusives. If you were hoping on really obscure Hi-Metal releases you can probably bury those dreams... people have already begun doubting the Hi-Metal series will survive into the Mac+ era (which was its next intended franchise).

I hear Japan's toy industry SUCKS right now. I'm starting to doubt we'll see much mold milking unless the DYRL valks do really well (this was also why Max's 1J was just an exclusive instead of a regular release). If we do see more mold-milking I wouldn't be shocked if all are exclusives. If you were hoping on really obscure Hi-Metal releases you can probably bury those dreams... people have already begun doubting the Hi-Metal series will survive into the Mac+ era (which was its next intended franchise).

Well, while I knew deep down inside it would turn out like this, I was still hoping we would at least get MacPlus stuff. Goddammit. How reliable is the source of your info, Jenius?

I really don't get why everybody seems so skeptic about this line???

I wholeheartedly disagree with Jenius' assumption and would wager to say that out of all the

Macross stuff Bandai is doing, the Hi-Metal line has the strongest staying power out there.

It's the only one that encompasses all the Macross series. That would be a lot of money wasted

on licenses that Bandai has probably paid for, just to have them hang out to dry.

The DX line and all the Model kits will eventually have a somewhat quick death once the second movie has had its run.

And what about Robot Damashii your asking? It's a joke, Q-Rare, VF-25F/G and a bit of König Monster if you want.

This is the line you should worry about, if you care...

Welll... i heard the 21 is unofficially (pray it aint so) on the backburner, and that poster with oodles of variants was just a competition to see who would like which to be produced.

wtf bandai i WANT that 1/100 21!

I was told the same by a friend in Japan (although it's unofficial) :unsure:

If they're going to kill this line they should do the Yf-21 and the VF-4 first!!!!

Perhaps one of the reasons the HiMetal line is in jeopardy is because so many people "wait to buy on clearance" these days? I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't do that (I've done it myself), just pontificating.

I certainly hope the line continues as its one of my favorites, but I wont be at all surprised if they end it since so few people seem to be buying the toys or even talking about them.

Can't say it's surprising but I really hope bandai waits to see how the other series valks do before deciding to cancel the line. There's been some version of the vf-1 out on the market for a decade now... I'm sure the market is pretty saturated.

Edited by eugimon

Can't say it's surprising but I really hope bandai waits to see how the other series valks do before deciding to cancel the line. There's been some version of the vf-1 out on the market for a decade now... I'm sure the market is pretty saturated.

I agree. Bad sales of VF-1 does not mean anything, especially Yamato has done a good job on the whole line just a year before they release the Hi-Metal.

And before that, the Yamato 1/48 and the Revy.

I'm sure people would be excited about VF-4, VF-2SS, evening a done-right VF-25.

To be honest, I personally don't care a rat's ass about more Hi-Metal VF-1 toys, but I'd buy a Hi-Metal VF-0D, VF-2SS w/SAP, VF-17, VF-171, VF-4, VF-5000 in a heart beat.

Basically, I'll buy anything that hasn't already had a release from Yamato.

Graham

There are people out there, that might have different preferences and constraints.

Don't have the space, money, don't like 1/60 scale or quite frankly have been deterred by Yamato for constantly being used as QC beta tester.

What you deem as superior might be considered as total crap by next guy.

Funny how Bandai is accused of re-hashing for their first overall version of the VF-1, unlike a certain other company...

There are people out there, that might have different preferences and constraints.

Don't have the space, money, don't like 1/60 scale or quite frankly have been deterred by Yamato for constantly being used as QC beta tester.

What you deem as superior might be considered as total crap by next guy.

Funny how Bandai is accused of re-hashing for their first overall version of the VF-1, unlike a certain other company...

If you are referring to Yamato... They don't have other licenses to play with (or rather, they cannot afford new licenses). So it is meaningless to accuse them of recyling the same mold, as they are incapable of making new models.

Bandai, on the other hand, is sitting on the licenses and doing nothing. Or only releases medicore products. Now that is driving (certain) people crazy.

Edited by ff95gj