Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

I took a chance on the Fire Valk, and while it's decent enough, it's definitely not worth the $60 I paid for it, and even that was 25% off. That's the same as my Masterpiece Skywarp cost, for something about two-thirds the length, no where near the same material content, and no real noticeable difference in quality...

This is a ridiculous comparison. MP Skywarp is a mass produced domestic release toy. The Japanese version of MP Skywarp cost 9800 yen, which is over $100 American. The US release of MP Skywarp is only that cheap because of the huge numbers it was produced in.

I can see how someone would think the Jolly Roger is cheesy. The skull & crossbones motif has been so overused for so long that it is cheesy. I love it, but I'd never argue that it isn't cheesy.

Yeah. One-eyed Willy was the last bloke to use the Jolly Roger unironically. It's been downhill for the skull and crossbones ever since.

ftp-dd-pirate.JPG

I can't help it, when I think "skull + crossbones", I think "Disney pirate ships". I've always prefered minimalist decos.

yeah. you said it, dude!

I, for one, also can't help it that when we talk about VF-1 aircraft with "skull + crossbones" here in MacrossWorld, I think about Donald Duck and his nephews on a pirate ship.

wait, what?

To bring a bit of history, the "Skull Team" in SDFM and particularly Roy Fokker's valk, the valk itself is inspired by the F-14 and the livery is a mix between early "Jolly Rogers" (VF-84) and "Wolfpack" (VF-1). From the first it took the black tail with a jolly roger stencil and the orange stripe across the cockpit area from the second. (Actually, it is quite obvious the squadron designator "VF" was also "retconed" to Variable Fighter)

I don't mind the thin feet problem myself.

Sorry for the previous double post (something was wrong with the connection or the server).

Edited by regult

To bring a bit of history, the "Skull Team" in SDFM and particularly Roy Fokker's valk, the valk itself is inspired by the F-14 and the livery is a mix between early "Jolly Rogers" (VF-84) and "Wolfpack" (VF-1). From the first it took the black tail with a jolly roger stencil and the orange stripe across the cockpit area from the second. (Actually, it is quite obvious the squadron designator "VF" was also "retconed" to Variable Fighter)

I don't mind the thin feet problem myself.

Sorry for the previous double post (something was wrong with the connection or the server).

But the very first mecha that Kawamori designed for the Macross series was nothing look like a modern aircraft, it's like a gundam space craft of fighter jet thing. I'm glad he didn't go that route.

head tucks in super tight... very nice. The hand content is way up over the VF-19K which is also nice. The feet look like they do collapse in on the lower left picture but they're definitely extend out in the fighter pictures so I'm not sure what's up with that. The feet definitely look like they have articulation which is AWESOME if it's true.

There's something about the nosecone that reminds me of the Chunky- in a good way. I look at this in fighter mode and see a blend of Yamato's V2 with a bit of Chunky mixed in. That combined with the compacted head, the articulated feet and the 1/100 'fun-size'...and suddenly I'm finding myself excited for ANOTHER VF-1 TOY. :lol: