Best "Tween" Anime Series?

So...I was wondering if any of you would mind providing some input on good Anime series. My son is about to turn 14. We are currently watching Macross Frontier and we are both enjoying it. I was wondering what else we might want to watch next. It needs to be "PG-13". We have watched all the other Macross Series, Genesis Climber Mospeda and parts of Evangelion as well as some Gundam. Any other good series you might suggest as something good for a father and a son? He likes mecha, action...and will tolerate all the singing and romance of Macross. :)

Cheers and thanks.

Any of the modern Gundams - SEED, Destiny, 00. Nadia of the Mysterious Seas (aka Secret of Blue Water) is a good old fashioned adventure series with enough action I should think to keep him happy (well, asides from the infamous "island" episodes). Full Metal Alchemist can be a little gory in places, and it takes a few episodes to get going, but any series that can get your mother interested just by half-watching it in the background has got to be good... :)

I'd love to recommend Patlabor on TV - quiet and thoughtful is he by any chance? :)

Some of the other stuff I'm thinking about, like Full Metal Panic TV can be a touch saucy in places, I'm not sure how suitable you'd find that kind of thing.

Don't forget to show him the Studio Ghibli movies. All of them masterpieces (IMHO).

Also, I'd recommend -

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

Area 88 (the original 3-part OAV series)

...to show the sadder/grimmer side of war and conflict. ;)

"macross, Genesis Climber Mospeda, evangelion..."

You made your son watch macross zero, mospeada and evangelion?

For his age just get those more famous anime with 300 episodes or more, like one piece, bleach, naruto (don't know if they are good cause never watched any of them, but there a lot of ppl that like them).

well, stuff I liked when I was 14 include:

Gundam 0080, 0083 and 8th MST

Akira

Tekkaman blade (I and II)

The Patlabor movies

Armitage III (the OVA and both movies)

also the orginal GitS movie. (I never really got into the later sequals as much)

also blue sub no.6, I f*cking loved that OVA as a kid.

don't know which of these you want to show YOUR kids though.

Nothing wrong with main storyline Bleach or Naruto. The problems with those shows lies in literally full seasons of filler story lines. Which, probably wouldn't be so bad for a new fan, but if he ends up liking it and moving onto the manga for either, he'd quickly be disappointed in the lack of direction every other season. Possibly Tenjo Tenge, as the show has some suggestive themes but isn't too bad. Only problem is that the show is too short, and would require moving onto the manga, which isn't just suggestive from what I hear, for completion.

Another vote for Cowboy Bebop and what looks like the first mentioning of Gurren Lagann.

Let him watching anything you watch.

Also:

Azumanga Daioh

Clannad (and After Story)

Cowboy Bebop

Escaflowne

Eureka 7

Fruits Basket

Full Metal Panic (all three)

Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood preferably)

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

anything Gundam I guess

any Macross series, possibly including 7

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Rozen Maiden

Rurouni Kenshin

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Edited by shiroikaze

Escaflowne is exceedingly good, but I agree that it may be a bit much for 13-going-on-14. 16 is better I'd say.

Saw the suggestion for Gundam 0080. What about 08th MS team? Much "grittier" and more violent IMHO but has little romance, if you're trying to base "appropriateness" on that aspect.

"macross, Genesis Climber Mospeda, evangelion..."

You made your son watch macross zero, mospeada and evangelion?

For his age just get those more famous anime with 300 episodes or more, like one piece, bleach, naruto (don't know if they are good cause never watched any of them, but there a lot of ppl that like them).

LOL...I didn't "make" him do anything. He asked. It's a nice thing we can do together...I play sports with my daughter...I build models and watch anime with my son. (well...we watch all sorts of things...anime sometmies). Evangelion I heard was rough..so I prescreened it and only let him watch some episodes. Macross Zero, for him, was all about the improved animation techniques. The first version we watched didn't even have subtitles, so we joked about what the dialogue must have been and enjoyed the beautful art.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!! This is a great list. I love a lot of the ideas. I'm going to order a few sets of DVDs so when we finish up Frontier I will have something in waiting.

Thank you so so much!!!!!

right, just some teasing now and then and faye's usual fanservice outfits. But it really pales in comparison to Gurren Lagann or a lot of other current shows like Code Geass, basquash, Macross Frontier, Die Buster, Shikabane Hime, etc.

Oh, other fun shows,

if you like boxing: Hajime no Ippo

Rideback

Seirei no Moribito

I have to say...I haven't opined on any series, because I keep thinking, "When I was 14, what anime series would I have wanted to watch with my Dad...?" And the answer is "None."

He did once take me to see Night on the Galactic Railway...I liked it, he didn't.

I'm going to order a few sets of DVDs so when we finish up Frontier I will have something in waiting.

I recommend going to DeepDiscount and looking through the bargain bin of RightStuf if you want to save some money. Also if you don't mind streaming from the net--of course Youtube, Hulu, and Crunchyroll have anime readily available online.

SCREW YOUR PG-NESS!! Get that boy some manly-anime, like Fist of the North Star, Berserk, not to forget the newer Hellsing. Put some hair on that kid's chest! B))

Ah, First of the North Star... Fast-tracking little boys through puberty and into man-y, man-y men.

Yeah I'm talking about the man boob/crying game situation.

but he did watch other series with better nudity.

The Game? Is that the one with the fat, floating, bulletproof crazy killer with a mind of a child? That episode was disturbing...

Edited by shiroikaze