FURIOUS OVER NEW CONAN (Conan the Barbarian remake)

Agent ONE

Still looks lame.

But...it's...rated...R. :p

Really, there's no arguing that fans of the Arnold Conan films will probably find this a fail before and after (assuming they do) see it.

You could also argue that fan or not of the originals this could still be a fail. It'd just be nice to allow for the possibility of being pleasantly surprised.*

*not that I care about this film either way

-b.

Really, there's no arguing that fans of the Arnold Conan films will probably find this a fail before and after (assuming they do) see it.

You could also argue that fan or not of the originals this could still be a fail. It'd just be nice to allow for the possibility of being pleasantly surprised.*

-b.

There's being pleasantly surprised, and then there's duping yourself into imagining that a clearly lame film might be somewhat worthwhile. ^_^

There's being pleasantly surprised, and then there's duping yourself into imagining that a clearly lame film might be somewhat worthwhile. ^_^

Very true. I guess it all comes down to the viewer and how much they want to enjoy the experience.

The flip side of that coin is duping yourself into imagining that a good, somewhat worthwhile or even passable film is lame. B))

-b.

Very true. I guess it all comes down to the viewer and how much they want to enjoy the experience.

The flip side of that coin is duping yourself into imagining that a good, somewhat worthwhile or even passable film is lame. B))

-b.

Heh. Well, that's where I've simply got to trust my own judgment born of bitter, bitter experience. B))

-b.

To quote Christine (Moose) from You Can't do That on Television...

"Yeah, but all the good movies are rated "R"."

-b.

I consider myself a fan of the original (singular) Arnold Conan film. Conan The Destroyer was so horrible, I'd rather just ignore it altogether. It's like they didn't even bother watching the original before they made that crap.

I consider myself a fan of the original (singular) Arnold Conan film. Conan The Destroyer was so horrible, I'd rather just ignore it altogether. It's like they didn't even bother watching the original before they made that crap.

+1

It DID spawn one of the greatest movie reviews ever though. "Arnold proves he can count, one, two, your right..." (in response to someone saying it was ten against one).

That movie was bad, the comic relief thief, Grace Jones (Nuff said), and those silly decapitation effects.

Let's be real here...

Most folks, myself included still like the Arnold Conan films because of nostalgia and the fact that kids are generally easy to please from a *ahem* cinematic stand-point.

People tend to have fond memories movies from their adolescence that carry over into adulthood. When faced with the idea of some Hollywood type sullying what they treasure with a remake or re imagining (or whatever you want to call it) that doesn't necessarily jive with that sense, or memory of what the movie should be it leads to all the belly aching we see played out in this and other threads.

If you were a late 20, 30 or even 40 something you probably would have turned your nose up at 80's Conan flicks in the same fashion as we're doing now with the remake. If there never were Conan movies before this one a lot of us still wouldn't like what we're seeing in the trailers (rated R or not).

This movie really isn't made with us in mind, it's made for the teen to early twenty something male that probably could give two sh!ts about Arnie or how good we think/thought Conan the Barbarian and/or Destroyer are.

And did I already say that I don't care either way about the new Conan? :ph34r:

-b.

I think the 82 Conan the Barbarian is a great movie. It is just not the actual character Conan as was written by the original writer.

It is actually closer to his character KULL ( that also had a terrible movie made..)

The screenplay had been redone a number of times. By the time Milius got to it he added some of his own ideals and his fondness of Akira Kurosawa films. The score is also fantastic.

Still it is not Conan as Robert E Howard wrote him. A Epic movie though.

This new film is trying to be closer to the original source material although not based any any of the written stories it has parts of them.

Yeah that 'new metal' music has to be placeholder.

I just hope when it comes out people get to see a closer version of the book Conan.

Let's be real here...

Most folks, myself included still like the Arnold Conan films because of nostalgia and the fact that kids are generally easy to please from a *ahem* cinematic stand-point.

People tend to have fond memories movies from their adolescence that carry over into adulthood. When faced with the idea of some Hollywood type sullying what they treasure with a remake or re imagining (or whatever you want to call it) that doesn't necessarily jive with that sense, or memory of what the movie should be it leads to all the belly aching we see played out in this and other threads.

If you were a late 20, 30 or even 40 something you probably would have turned your nose up at 80's Conan flicks in the same fashion as we're doing now with the remake. If there never were Conan movies before this one a lot of us still wouldn't like what we're seeing in the trailers (rated R or not).

This movie really isn't made with us in mind, it's made for the teen to early twenty something male that probably could give two sh!ts about Arnie or how good we think/thought Conan the Barbarian and/or Destroyer are.

And did I already say that I don't care either way about the new Conan? :ph34r:

-b.

I agree, it wasn't made with us in mind, just like Transformers.....Speilberg and Bay are after a whole new market. But even though it ain't for us, this movie still looks super crappy, a B movie with effects at best...the acting is.....well, they would have been better off getting Peter North or Ron Jeremy to play Conan, even their acting is better. I'm really surpised this movie isn't straight to DVD/BR.

BAZZING!

I am shocked you would directly address the correlation made here. Basically nexxstrait is saying they are "gaying-up" conan, just like they "gayed-up" macrsoss, just to spite me. You really want to show your support for this comment?

• 3 weeks later...

The beginning was a bit naff, but then it turns into awesome. I like how Conan doesn't compromise here, I'm hoping this will surprise us...

:o

Its like a completely different film!!!!

Wait a minute!

Conan is clearly the runt of the litter. Plus he's late to that meeting. We all know that suggest that maybe he's lazy and isn't serious, etc. Then all of the sudden this 10 year old boy kills several adult warriors?

:o

Its like a completely different film!!!!

I was going to say the same thing, seems nothing like the trailers we've seen so far. The snow scene was reminicent of the original film when the snake dudes come to slaughter the village. Then he grows up to be that mascara wearing surfer dude? Unreal.

Wait a minute!

Conan is clearly the runt of the litter. Plus he's late to that meeting. We all know that suggest that maybe he's lazy and isn't serious, etc. Then all of the sudden this 10 year old boy kills several adult warriors?

Runts, are always more driven later in life. I read somewhere about how the vast majority of extremely successful people, were bullied when young.

I was going to say the same thing, seems nothing like the trailers we've seen so far. The snow scene was reminicent of the original film when the snake dudes come to slaughter the village. Then he grows up to be that mascara wearing surfer dude? Unreal.

I am theorizing the first trailers, were test footage, just so marketers could get audience reactions... Most people (I am assuming) gave the same feedback we did here on MW, therefore reformatted the movie.

Runts, are always more driven later in life. I read somewhere about how the vast majority of extremely successful people, were bullied when young.

I am theorizing the first trailers, were test footage, just so marketers could get audience reactions... Most people (I am assuming) gave the same feedback we did here on MW, therefore reformatted the movie.

So, there's still hope for this movie? I'm hoping they've finally come to their senses and Mr. Mascara will be CG'd out with a complete CGI Arnold, or maybe the first trailers were just a ruse and they wanted to throw us all off, then when we go watch the film, we see a CGI Arnold in all his glory. Not likely, but one can always hope :D

So, there's still hope for this movie? I'm hoping they've finally come to their senses and Mr. Mascara will be CG'd out with a complete CGI Arnold, or maybe the first trailers were just a ruse and they wanted to throw us all off, then when we go watch the film, we see a CGI Arnold in all his glory. Not likely, but one can always hope :D

Yeah, thats probably not going to happen.

Saw one of the new trailers on TV recently...

...I only needed to see "Conan" deliver some line to the effect: "I don't want your throne. I want your Head!" [i kept expecting him to say "bra!" on the end of that one] That was all the confirmation I needed. <_<

This movie is going to keep straight on PAST the balls--and SUCK, DIRTY, STINKING A$$!

Edited by reddsun1

So there are two trailers now:

This one -

And this one -

I don't get it... They look like they are from different films entirely. The top one looks like it represents a good action film. The bottom one looks like it represents a horrible action film. Can someone add clarity?

I don't get it... They look like they are from different films entirely. The top one looks like it represents a good action film. The bottom one looks like it represents a horrible action film. Can someone add clarity?

Probably the opening "prologue" section of the movie will be kind of awesome, and it'll be all downhill from there.

Probably the opening "prologue" section of the movie will be kind of awesome, and it'll be all downhill from there.

I'll watch a cam version of this movie...don't want to go, and end up thinking the best parts of the movie are in that trailer with the kid.