FURIOUS OVER NEW CONAN (Conan the Barbarian remake)

Agent ONE

I thought there may have been some shred of material redeemable.

you didn't like how every time anybody got hit, no matter where or with what, they erupted in a fountain of blood? Or how conan liked to swing his sword around like he was a baton twirler in a marching band? Or the rubber baby the actors shook to try and make it look alive with the CGI arm that was waaaaaay too big for it?

There way just so much in this movie to enjoy.

Nobody even knows this thing is out. I was at my fight gym a few days ago and mentioned it, and people had no clue there was another Conan movie. This thing is obscure as Universal Soldier Regeneration.

you didn't like how every time anybody got hit, no matter where or with what, they erupted in a fountain of blood? Or how conan liked to swing his sword around like he was a baton twirler in a marching band? Or the rubber baby the actors shook to try and make it look alive with the CGI arm that was waaaaaay too big for it?

One bit of awesome was the "go find the key" scene. Honorable mention goes to the catapult scene.

Darn you! Now I want to see it.

I'm prepared for disappointment, but I will still see it.

Why, oh why is it so hard to get a good, realistic treatment for this type of movie going? I didn't think Momoa was a bad choice, but what made the John Milius movie work is that he took it totally seriously, and Basil Poledouris's soundtrack was EPIC. It sounds like this isn't....

I saw this last night.

Some things were fun... others quite lame. All in all I am disappointed.

Good

1) Young Conan was uncompromising

2) Older Conan was uncompromising too (message, key, etc)

3) Visual design was lush and at times quite beautiful

4) The heroine wasn't quite cookie-cutter

5) Better than Conan the Destroyer

6) Much closer to the original stories than the movie

Bad

1) Action and fights were very, very badly filmed

2) Story was extremely predictable

3) Poorly edited, and at times the continuity was laughable

4) Milius Conan fans will be offended

5) RAH (original author) Fans will wonder why they didn't just stick with the source material

I saw this last night.

Some things were fun... others quite lame. All in all I am disappointed.

Good

5) Better than Conan the Destroyer

Destroyer was horrible, but I disagree.

Your bad list should include the dialogue; "I live, I love, I slay" so LAME.

How about the fact that Conan couldn't chose a voice, one minute he is having fun and sounding like a surfer, next he has this dark, brooding, raspy voice.

Jason Momoa's voice was an issue, I think he needed some coaching there. The dialogue line you quote is actually straight out of the original stories, so I don't have a problem with it per se, but the way it was delivered... was kind of lame.

Jason Momoa's voice was an issue, I think he needed some coaching there. The dialogue line you quote is actually straight out of the original stories, so I don't have a problem with it per se, but the way it was delivered... was kind of lame.

If that line is really out of the books, then the books are not something I am interested in reading. Wow, the Schwarzenegger Conan for me or nothing.

If that line is really out of the books, then the books are not something I am interested in reading. Wow, the Schwarzenegger Conan for me or nothing.

That line is taken way out of its original meaning from the books. Don't discredit the original from this B grade film we got.

That line is taken way out of its original meaning from the books. Don't discredit the original from this B grade film we got.

I agree...I think that line could have been delivered properly....somehow, haha, but there's no way surfer-man could have done it without making anyone feel cold.

Just saw it today, wife insisted, and although it was boring I have seen FAR worse (Latest Pirates movie and any transformers movie springs instantly to mind). On the scale of things it was merely a waste of time and money...

Original Conan - Best

This Conan - not good.

Conan the Destroyer - atrocity

i mean it wasnt a master stroke by any means, but i had fun with it, and it felt more like the books i remember than the old ones did. it was a silly fun little film :)

It certainly had it's good points, the scenes between Conan and his father were very good. It never really slowed down enough to give us any kind of plot, and there were a million "what are these guys? Stupid" scenes. (worst of the lot is the pirate ship getting boarded, don't they know what a lookout is?)

It isn't a "bad" movie, just completely forgettable. It has toooooo much similar looking action scenes and a bare minimum story.

Had they done a Ninja Scroll type of movie full of action but divided in encounters that get solved in different ways then it might had worked. For a moment I thought they were going to do just that what with the bad guy having a posse of videogame boss like goons. But those fights got diluted with all the “Conan can battle tons of guys at the same time… the very same way over and over”.

And I liked new Conan guy, the backgrounds and sets. Director and script ended up sinking this ship.

It isn't a "bad" movie, just completely forgettable. It has toooooo much similar looking action scenes and a bare minimum story.

And I liked new Conan guy, the backgrounds and sets. Director and script ended up sinking this ship.

Yup I agree. The movie was enjoyable because of Momoa. The bad script is only made worse by that hack of a director.

• 1 year later...

when I heard the news this afternoon I was both excited and scared at the same time. Excited over the fact that not only do we get a continuation of the original conan films where we finally see him King, but the fact that frakin Arnie is going to return. But I'm also scared cause arnold is an old man and let's face it, political office didn't treat him well over the years and I think he's gotten to comfortable sittin on his butt.

Because of this I broke my embargo on the new Conan film and watched it, while the opening was strong it tended to dip into sloppiness very quickly and that made me so sad. OOOOOOOHHHHHH well.

I think a lot of people don't appreciate that fact.

Conan without Milius and you get Conan the Destroyer. Ugh.

The last big thing Milius did was the Rome series, as I remember. That was fantastic - highly recommended!

I'm Lucius Vorenus and I approve this message.

I was wondering what God-forsaken reason would there be to resurrect this thread. I have to say, I'm not optimistic about a reboot with Arnie. Let's face it, he's wayyyyyy past his prime unless he pumps himself full of roids like Stallone, or if the story revolves around a 65 year old Conan the King. Another acceptable route would be a complete CGI arnie (like in Terminator Salvation....still recovering from how awesome those few seconds were.....best part of the film).

Then there's the issue of some guy that's associated with the Fast and Furious franchise having anything to do with this film. Makes me feel uneasy....

I like how it skips over Destroyer and the Momoa "misfire" (haha, love that quote),

Let's see where this goes.