FURIOUS OVER NEW CONAN (Conan the Barbarian remake)

Agent ONE

35 days? ... hm... working out and lifting weights is one thing... but I don't wanna change my diet. I like eating what I eat. Hell - I hardly even eat KFC or Pizzas anymore... maybe just once a week. One McRoyal a week, one X-large pizza a weak and one twister menu at KFC a week...other than that it's just sausages, salami, chicken curry, sandwitches...donhuts...potato chips...chinese food...

What the hell am I supposed to eat? Grass? Carrots? (I actually like carrots)...

Can I really get ripped in 35 days if I change my diet? I wonder...

Anyways - in the movie, Conan likes to eat too, and he's ripped.

Pete

Come on! Conan isn't exactly Shakepeare. He doesn't look that bad here:

He'd make a perfect Conan. They wouldn't need to train him to act either. Anybody see the Rundown?

Pete

Being lean is all about diet. When I am at my leanest I eat ONLY raw fruit and vegetables, and lean cuts of meat (none packaged). There is absolute zero room for pizza, candy, or other things like that. Most of the year I walk around at 11% bodyfat but closer to strength competitions fight nights (I work with many athletes) I will cut down to 9%. Lifting helps have a faster metabolism, but seriously quality calories and ONLY the proper amount will get you lean.

He'd make a perfect Conan. They wouldn't need to train him to act either. Anybody see the Rundown?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Why the hell does Dwayne Johnson do crappy movies, he's way better than that? The Tooth Fairy? Is his agent high or something? The Rock should be doing violent kick ass movies like Schwarzenneger. He was suppose to be Arnold's successor, what the heck happened? In either case Conan has to be ripped, antimidating, and look bad ass. Maybe the studio doesn't want to shell out the money for him. It makes me wonder if this movie is really getting studio support, or if its going to be a movie straight to DVD.

35 days? ... hm... working out and lifting weights is one thing... but I don't wanna change my diet. I like eating what I eat. Hell - I hardly even eat KFC or Pizzas anymore... maybe just once a week. One McRoyal a week, one X-large pizza a weak and one twister menu at KFC a week...other than that it's just sausages, salami, chicken curry, sandwitches...donhuts...potato chips...chinese food...

What the hell am I supposed to eat? Grass? Carrots? (I actually like carrots)...

Anyways - in the movie, Conan likes to eat too, and he's ripped.

Pete

Well the magazine is for people who lift weights, so most people who subscribe are ripped somewhat anyway. I subscribe to the magazine, lots of good stuff in it.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Why the hell does Dwayne Johnson do crappy movies, he's way better than that? The Tooth Fairy? Is his agent high or something? The Rock should be doing violent kick ass movies like Schwarzenneger. He was suppose to be Arnold's successor, what the heck happened? In either case Conan has to be ripped, antimidating, and look bad ass. Maybe the studio doesn't want to shell out the money for him. It makes me wonder if this movie is really getting studio support, or if its going to be a movie straight to DVD.

Yeah, I liked the Rock in the Rundown and the Scorpion King. I think he'd be a perfect Conan (not far from his Scorpion King role). Somehow he got suckered into crappy "family" movies lately... The Game Plan, Race to Witch Mountain, and now Tooth Fairy. Yeesh.

Being lean is all about diet. When I am at my leanest I eat ONLY raw fruit and vegetables, and lean cuts of meat (none packaged). There is absolute zero room for pizza, candy, or other things like that. Most of the year I walk around at 11% bodyfat but closer to strength competitions fight nights (I work with many athletes) I will cut down to 9%. Lifting helps have a faster metabolism, but seriously quality calories and ONLY the proper amount will get you lean.

Thanks! No Macdonalds or Pizza this week and 4 days straight at the gym (couldn't go yesterday or today 'cause I was too busy - but will go again tomorrow morning) really make a difference. That last pic I posted of myself earlier was following about 1 week of not working out and a couple of pizzas... this week things look better IMO:

dwyx7a.jpg

20qnntc.jpg

But the thing is... I still know I'm gonna be tempted by MacDonalds and Pizza... and another thing that "helped" this week was that my girlfriend is away. As Mickey says in Rockey "Women weaken legs!" - and damn he's right. She likes me to take her out to dinners. Not pizza or anything that vulgar - but really full exotic meals nonetheless...it's hard to resist... Recently we've been exercising together sometimes...playing badmington and stuff... but still...

By "lean cuts of meat" -- would that mean things like prociuto? I can't imagine eating ONLY fruit and vegetables...But I definitely DO want to stay in shape because quality of life is just so much better. It's not even about looking better - but ever since I started working out - it's just amazing how much more energy I have, and how I stress less with regard to work/life in general...

But I still love to have a smoke from time to time or go eat a good meal...you're right - I should and definitely can cut out the stupid pizza, KFC and Macdonalds... my girlfriend also scolds me for those...leftovers from when I was a kid I guess...like my toy collection :lol: ...

Anyways - I saw a portion of that movie with Arnold - I think it was called Pumping Iron... he tells a girl who's interviewing him that he works out something like 7 hours a day. That's awesome... I wish I could do that...

I found that working out three days in a row is my max - and I usually can only do about 2 hours on average. When I went the fourth day - I found I was unable to lift what I managed the day before. Just too tired :(

Anyways - this leads me to another comment about that Moma guy. Obviously he's trim and athletic and also works out... But it's almost as though he PURPOSEFULLY wanted to make himself look like a boy toy. Maybe the pictures have just been really bad... but he's not gargantuan or anything.. and he's not even Spiderman lean... instead he just looks like he spends a lot of time in solariums, saunas, turkish baths...obviously works out... but.. I dunno - I'm an amateur - but it leads me to think there are different emphasises one can have in working out - I strive to gain mass and buld muscles.

This Moma guy looks like he's big on tone...or something... don't even know the proper vocabulary :(

Oh well.

Since Agent 1 says no pizza - I guess I won't be eating that stuff any more... But I hope I can at least still eat sushi and chinese food from time to time :lol:

Pete

...I saw a portion of that movie with Arnold - I think it was called Pumping Iron... he tells a girl who's interviewing him that he works out something like 7 hours a day. That's awesome... I wish I could do that...

No you don't. Thats total BS. Nobody can lift with any intensity for that duration. Most pros only lift for 20 min 3x per week. They may spend another few hours on functional training (balance and coordination) and some flexibility work too.

What is your training split?

No you don't. Thats total BS. Nobody can lift with any intensity for that duration. Most pros only lift for 20 min 3x per week. They may spend another few hours on functional training (balance and coordination) and some flexibility work too.

What is your training split?

Ok - I'm reassured that you've said that - because I've been feeling bad about myself all this time...like "man...I'm such a wuss...Arnold worked out 7 houirs a day" ... :lol:

By "training split" I'm assuming you mean what do I do? I'm really bad at weight lifting vocab - so I'm using wikipedia for reference here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weight_training_exercises) just looking it over to find what I do - here's a break down:

1. Leg extension machine - either 50 x 50 kilo or 20 x 100 kilo

2. Calf raise machine - usually can only get off 30 x 50 kilo or 50 x 20 kilo

3. Bench Press - I haven't been able to do more that 40 kilos x 8 on this thing. I usually start small, 8 x 10 kilo, then 8 x 15, then 8 x 20...and on up to 40...

4. Push Down/Triceps - I love this exercise. Don't know why - but it's fun working the triceps. It's also really hard. I can do no better than 20 x 25 kilo on this ...

5. Bicep Curl - I usually do this one bicep at a time. I think I use a 17 kilo dumbbell for it and usually aim for 15 x 17kilo

6. Abdominal Crunch - I routinely do 50 of these

7.The Leg Raise - in the wiki pictures, the poor girl is sitting on a bench...in the gym I go to they have this contraption where you rest your arms on it and your legs dangle below you, not touching the ground... then you get to raise them... I'm pretty lousy at this due to all the pizza :lol:... my best is 10 ...

I also do this thing that isn't shown on the wiki - where you lie forward at at a 45 degree angle and lift one huge weight thing (I can do 40 kilo on this) towards you. It exercises your...umm..upper back and upper body? Don't know the technical term...

And finally - holding a 30 kilo dumbell in each hand, arms lowered at the sides, I rotate my shoulders - aim for 20 x. It exercises the same thing as the exercise described above - but it's funner.

I'm still learning about the machines and stuff... and I also heard it's not good to get too much into a routine because muscles "learn" and get used to whatever routine you give them...that it's better to diversify...

Finally - there are two machines not shown in the wiki page that I use to warm up. One of them has me sitting and pushing forward on something connected to weights (for this I usually do either 50 x 30 kilo or 25 x 50 kilo give or take) and another machine which works the chest - you stretch your arms out and grab these things that are positioned at an angle and push them towards you. The idea is that it's supposed to engage your chest muscles.

Pete

Now I want to see Pumping Iron again ...

HAHA, lots of fitness myth in that movie. Still.. Awesome.

The BS and the mindgames are the best bits about that movie. IIRC Arnold was very nice about telling Lou's mother that her boy was looking really great, he'd win the contest for sure - given another year! :lol:

At least I think it was Pumping Iron, it's been a while.

HAHA, lots of fitness myth in that movie. Still.. Awesome.

The BS and the mindgames are the best bits about that movie. IIRC Arnold was very nice about telling Lou's mother that her boy was looking really great, he'd win the contest for sure - given another year! :lol:

At least I think it was Pumping Iron, it's been a while.

That was Pumping Iron... LOL Awesome.

• 1 month later...

about working out.

Funny Im usually in and out the gym after 30 min. My workouts are intense. I go 4-5 times a week. Do a 30 lap swim or 10 min run on the treadmill. I usually sleep 3 hours a day. I build MG gundams in 4-6 hours read books play with the kiddies and read my PMP books. Before a month ago I havent gone to the gym for a year. I stayed somewhat lean because i hate junk food. Last week after the gym i needed to eat something and i had fries and burger from mc'd's well i had the runs and puked for 30 min, thats how much my body cant take whatever is in that food. Gave up cheese except feta. Always cook with Olive oil, make a quick mix of pasta veggies, can of tuna or egg or both and thats it. Or sometimes just a steak and a glass of red wine. But Age does take affect tho. I notice that my shoulder injury has come back. When 16 years ago in a tournament some ass ripped my shoulder from the rotator cuff and i worked on building the shoulder muscles. Last year i used to do about 10 -12 quick wide gripe lat chin ups now i can barely get 2 without my left shoulder giving out on me. I have concentrated on building up the shoulder and back muscles. I hope i can do what a I did last year. One bad habit i did pick up more was smoking. MAN does that make a difference. I went from a few on going out with the bros to one every morning. I know other people smoke a lot more but wow 1 a day can really affect the healing period after a workout. Another thing that NEVER happend. When I worked out the bicepts in the silly man pride doing what i used to do last year and paid the price. For one week i could not bend my arms at all. It was extremely painful. After soaking in a hot bath and my wife massaging my bicepts I was afraid i blew the muscle but eventually i was able to bend them more and more. I dont know what caused that.....

Anyway Pete looking good keep up the good work. Do you count your caloric intake? I notice you get lean quick if you take about 1900 to 2100 calories a dat and work out regularly . You should try that.

Hey Snail - your story sounds somewhat closer to mine than the God-Hood of Agent1 that we can only aspire to. Agent1 must just have a lot of will power.

My only advise to you from my meager experience would be to stay consistent and at least keep going back to the gym regularly. The thing is that sometimes you will eat healthier, and sometimes you won't. You'll have good weeks and bad weeks. But no matter what you do, IF you stop going to the gym on a regular basis - everything will be worse.

A few years back, I had the "moments" when I would start working out and feel great after a month and just stop going to the gym because "I feel great." And while working out I'd go for two or three hours and yeah, man would I be sore all over.

Nowadays, for the last year, I'd finally managed to go regularly. At LEAST once a week, sometimes two. Sure, there's been a couple times where for various reasons I missed a week and went after 10 and not 7 days - but the key is to keep going back.

What kind of pisses me off - at least here in Warsaw - is that it's impossible to find anybody who would qualify as a good trainer. That is to say - there is a lot of BS out there - and gyms seem very inclined to take your money in exchange for a personal trainer/dietetician... but so far I haven't found anywhere that makes me feel comfortable - mainly because they want your money first and THEN they'll tell you all the secrets to being healthy and working out.

So my solution has just been to take the normal, beginners route and learn for myself - mainly by just feeling my way. Figuring out what all the machines do, trying them out, going by what I can visually see.

I've tried recently to stop eating Macdonalds in favor of Subway. But Warsaw has like only 2 Subways - so I have to make a special effort to get there. But I always liked eating. And up until I turned 30 I had a super fast metabolism - so I could eat zillions of things and all my girlfriends would complain that I'm too skinny anyways.

I was pretty amazed to hear my last girlfriend start up with the "you're too fat" complaint - because it was the first time in my life when someone told me that. But I guess that's age for ya...

Anyways... ultimately in my view it all comes down to how you feel. The difference in how you feel is extreme between when you don't go to the gym regularly and when you do. And just keep diversifying your routine - because I think the muscles are quick to become accustomed to certain weights and movements - if you repeat them too often - you're screwed - your muscles won't grow and they'll become tense and inflexible.

I try to vary things. Sometimes I go in and light heavy weights in low quantities. Sometimes I come in and lift lighter weights in higher quantities. I have found I like working on my legs - don't neglect those in favor of bicepts. There are guys with huge bicepts that rival only their gutts in girth - that's no good. I try to be lean and wholistic in my approach. Everything needs to generally be proportional.

The hardest thing to do is lose any potbelly, let alone develop a sixpack. I have come close to loosing any signs of a belly - but really working on the abbs and mid-body seems to be the most daunting challenge. Not nearly as easy to sculpt as the rest.

And I still say Danny Devito should play Conan.

Pete

So they're reconing Conan?? Probably the gayest thing about this thread, what Hollywood are attention span is only 15 years? I thought Triple H was continuing the tale. Not much on wrestling but he did have the look for it.

All my weight goes to my stomach. Tried a few of the diets but none really worked except using the USDA's recommended food quantities and walking swiftly for about 2 hours a day and doing other exercises. But I really don't care about my body enough to deny myself food, as it's one of the few things I really enjoy in life. I just try not to pig out and not eat total junk. Had to deal will some bullshit and that kicked my weight up, I need to bring it down some.

I usually sleep 3 hours a day...

You will NEVER make progress until you get at least 7.

One bad habit i did pick up more was smoking. MAN does that make a difference...

Yes it does, but its not as bad as your sleep habits.

When I worked out the bicepts in the silly man pride...

Biceps... There is no "t".

Do you count your caloric intake? I notice you get lean quick if you take about 1900 to 2100 calories a dat and work out regularly...

Everyone's caloric need is different per day. I just eat super clean ONLY when I am hungry. I'm 220 ~9% bodyfat. This method really works and you can easily stick with it. If you are lifting properly, and getting the proper rest, your body will need more calories and you will be hungry more often. This is how muscular growth works. Also, never do the whole bulking, then cutting thing. It only exists as phases that steroid users have cycling on and off of the drugs. There is no need for a natural athlete to cycle their diet. These words have made into the natural discussion in the past 10 years and they should be ignored.

I watched Twins last night, and I've come to the conclusion that if they're going really CHANGE Conan - they need to get Danny DeVito to play the role.

Pete

I certainly hope you're shitting me. Danny would make a better innkeeper than a Kratos wannabe.

I certainly hope you're shitting me. Danny would make a better innkeeper than a Kratos wannabe.

No - I'm serious. I mean - look at Devito. He's al hairy and if you but him in some rags and gave him a mace he'd look like your average barbarian. Besides - we're talking like thousands of years ago, right? I mean - historically speaking people were a lot shorter way back before the development of modern plumbing and basic hygene - so actually Devito would fit the part.

You will NEVER make progress until you get at least 7.

Yeah - I kinda don't believe that you sleep 3 hours a day. I did that for a week in high school when I was like 15, and I slept straight through 48 hours. I remember getting up on Monday thinking it was Sunday and being surprised I had to go to class. I think it's impossible to live, let alone work out, on 3 hours of sleep per night :lol:

Everyone's caloric need is different per day. I just eat super clean ONLY when I am hungry. I'm 220 ~9% bodyfat. This method really works and you can easily stick with it. If you are lifting properly, and getting the proper rest, your body will need more calories and you will be hungry more often. This is how muscular growth works.

I always cringe when I read or hear "lifting properly" because it makes me scared that I'm doing something wrong :) I do get proper rest, though. As for being hungry more often... I'm generally a brunch/dinner person. I tend not to be able to eat large breakfasts - yogurt, juice, water. If I feel like I need it, I will get a coffee at the gas station - but that is only really necessary once a week when I have to be somewhere at 10 am (ok, stop throwing rocks at me all you people who have to be somewhere at 8, I know this sounds lame!)

Anyways...yeah... the thing with Devito as Conana is that if they're going to make a RADICAL departure from Arnold, then instead of the metrosexual boy toy, they could experiment with "historical Conan" - like what would a "real" barbarian from that time period look like?

The only problem with Devito now is that he's like 70 and probably wouldn't be fit for the part anyways...

Back when they made Twins, they could have made Conan 3 starring Devito as Arnold's Barbaric side kick, kind of like that oger named Toady from the Gummy Bears...

Pete

I always cringe when I read or hear "lifting properly" because it makes me scared that I'm doing something wrong :) I do get proper rest, though. ...

Pete

Well, do you get stronger each time you lift? If you are not, then you aren't stimulating any growth.

That depends on how you measure "strength." I can certainly lift heavier weights now than when I started out. But then again - I can't bench press beyond 60 kilograms for now...although...I haven't actually TRIED to go beyond 60 kilograms either...and maybe I could do it - but I'd probably be able to lift 70 kilograms like 2 times... I usually go for at least 8.

On this machine:

another machine which works the chest - you stretch your arms out and grab these things that are positioned at an angle and push them towards you. The idea is that it's supposed to engage your chest muscles.

When I started out on that thing - I could barely do 20-30 kilos. Now I can easily put it at 100 kilos and do 8 of these. On most of the other machines I can do 50 kilos or over. When I started out it was more like 15-30.

So in that sense I guess I am getting stronger.

I also definitely FEEL stronger, and generally feel better. I used to constantly get sick - small stuff - fevers, colds, runny nose, sore throat.... ever since I started working out all of that is history. I just don't get sick any more. I'm resilient against cold weather, rain - whatever. Also, before I started working out I felt really lethargic. I mean - like joints would hurt when I got up out of a chair, and I'd be short of breath all the time - partially from smoking, but mainly from never moving except to eat or smoke. And when I had to walk somewhere it would be like killer...

Then again, some of the better health is no doubt also due to having a car - riding the bus and the metro sounds nifty, except in a northern cold country during the winter when you stand at the bus stop freezing your butt off waiting... having a car basically means I'm not exposed to radical temperature fluctuations...

So...over all I do feel stronger and I guess given that I am able to life heavier weights now than 8 months ago - I am stronger...

I think :)

Pete

Sounds like you are on the right track, but you need to keep challenging yourself. The day you stop adding resistance is the day you stop making progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some set pictures have surfaced with Conan (Jason Mamoa) drinking at a tavern with scantily clad bar wenches.

Looks like the film is going to have some nudity (YAY!)

For the censored pics: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BrentSprecher/news/?a=22049

The page has a link to the uncensored ones for those who are 17 & older (wink,wink).

Edited by terry the lone wolf

God this situation makes me mad.

I think the casting has to do with the distaste for steriod athletes in society. People see the big muscles as fake, therefore they aren't impressed.