Yamato 1/60 Non-Canon Color VF-1's

CF18

I'm confused... :huh: The new fan racer is a completed/painted model?? Says no cement/painting/assembly needed....can someone clarify?? I know the first release was a real model.

No, it needs assembly. HLJ probably copypasta'd the specs from their previous Yamato valk pages (which are toys, obviously) when they threw together the item page. It's unbuilt, unpainted, unglued.

Not assembled. It is molded in the wing piece.

are you sure? all the V2 I got have the wing in 2 pieces, they have to glue the missile mount into wing. If you view from top of the wing, you can see half the kit logo and half the numbering is part of the missile mount.

post-611-1260419257_thumb.jpg

are you sure? all the V2 I got have the wing in 2 pieces, they have to glue the missile mount into wing. If you view from top of the wing, you can see half the kit logo and half the numbering is part of the missile mount.

the actual mounts (the little donuts the missiles clip to) are molded into the wing. the part you're pointing out is a panel that gets glued in to cover up the back side of the missile mounts

:edit: since I'm not sure if that made sense (it's late) here's a picture

post-4286-1260443641_thumb.jpg

the green parts the wing, the bump on the bottom is mount (donut shaped piece), and the red square is the panel.

Edited by anime52k8

the actual mounts (the little donuts the missiles clip to) are molded into the wing. the part you're pointing out is a panel that gets glued in to cover up the back side of the missile mounts

:edit: since I'm not sure if that made sense (it's late) here's a picture

post-4286-1260443641_thumb.jpg

the green parts the wing, the bump on the bottom is mount (donut shaped piece), and the red square is the panel.

hmm...

I could be wrong but it doesn't make sense to me at all in production stand point to have an extra panel on wing and extra process in assembly line since they already have the bump molded on the wing.

The way I see it is they have the bumps molded on separate panel, then glue them together later on. I rekcon they are taking concern on the bump that will break off easily with force to mount and remove missile by end users. Having a large surface of backing panel at the back, it will distribute the force evenly out so it won't break so easily.

Anyway, from the picture that they provided, this panel is already glued on wing if what I thought is correct.

post-611-1260457388_thumb.jpg

The question is it going to be required glue or screws ?

It's been answered couple times and Yamato already states that, it's basically the same toy but comes pre-assembly.

If I can handle assembling and painting one up I'll definitely buy another. Well assuming they stay readily available.

I guess you probably could do custom scheme that has majority in white color like MG, but I won't pain it over to another color because there are so many tight spots. The paint will definitely scrached off during transformation. If you have M&M then you will know the reason. They left the tab on leg white, which is the raw plasctic color and they only painted the inner part between chest plate and back plate.

If you mount SP on the toy, it will basically scratch off a long stretch of paint off the back plate, and the paint on the lower arms will be scratched off as well.

hmm...

I could be wrong but it doesn't make sense to me at all in production stand point to have an extra panel on wing and extra process in assembly line since they already have the bump molded on the wing.

The way I see it is they have the bumps molded on separate panel, then glue them together later on. I rekcon they are taking concern on the bump that will break off easily with force to mount and remove missile by end users. Having a large surface of backing panel at the back, it will distribute the force evenly out so it won't break so easily.

Anyway, from the picture that they provided, this panel is already glued on wing if what I thought is correct.

The bumps are molded into the wing. because of the way they mold it (two part metal mold that forms the top and bottom of the wing) wholes are left in the top of the wing which is why the sencond piece is needed.

if they were to mold it without the holes, it would require a much more complex breakdown of the mold parts in order to make that shape and be able to get it out of the mold.

in order to get the little nubs on the end of the mounts (green highlighted parts) they have a projection that comes down from the top mold through the wing, (red highlighted part) this makes it easy to mold the complex shape of the mounts, but now there are holes in the wing. so the inset panel covers them up

post-4286-1260466668_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

I guess you probably could do custom scheme that has majority in white color like MG, but I won't pain it over to another color because there are so many tight spots. The paint will definitely scrached off during transformation. If you have M&M then you will know the reason. They left the tab on leg white, which is the raw plasctic color and they only painted the inner part between chest plate and back plate.

If you mount SP on the toy, it will basically scratch off a long stretch of paint off the back plate, and the paint on the lower arms will be scratched off as well.

Well I was planning to do something like Max and Millia's White and Red/Blue but instead swap in colours of Grey and Purple. Some sort of top coat will definitely be necessary but I'm not sure if it'll need a base coat or if a base coat might be a bad idea based on added thickness alone.

Then there's the head eye/lens and the running lights to consider.

The bumps are molded into the wing. because of the way they mold it (two part metal mold that forms the top and bottom of the wing) wholes are left in the top of the wing which is why the sencond piece is needed.

if they were to mold it without the holes, it would require a much more complex breakdown of the mold parts in order to make that shape and be able to get it out of the mold.

in order to get the little nubs on the end of the mounts (green highlighted parts) they have a projection that comes down from the top mold through the wing, (red highlighted part) this makes it easy to mold the complex shape of the mounts, but now there are holes in the wing. so the inset panel covers them up

post-4286-1260466668_thumb.jpg

ok, it makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, ho! Do my eyes deceive me, or do I see painted metal parts? Looks like the gear and metal chest plate come painted white. I am happy. ^_^ I wonder if I could get a deal for buying them in bulk...

As for assembly, I'm not too worried. The standard v.2 VF-1s does depend on quite a bit of glue to stay together though, and I don't know what type of glue these will require. It might not be bad, probably just use superglue of some sort.. But putting together the internals of these may turn out to be a daunting task.

What I do hope to figure out is how to file down the right spot on the tail section so that the tails actually lie FLAT when folded. That's something that continues to bug me about my all my v.2 Valks.

The fact that they didn't fix the new Roy issue is beyond stupid however.. if these turn out to have the original thick pinned shoulders, and the subsequent breakages... <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

Looks nice.......but with the yellow stripes, is that consider a low vis?

If you look at VF-84 the US Navy Squadron that Skull Squadron is based off of, youl note that they used low vis insignia while maintaining their Black/Yellow/White highlights, for their Sqdn and group commander's aircraft (modex typically ending in 01 and 00 respectively), and since Focker flies modex 001 it fits. I like the repaint anyway, if nothing else it adds a bit of visual appeal instead of the stark white of the original.

*NOTE* Unlike US Navy Fighter Squadrons, which have modexes beginning with a 1 or 2, skull squadron had a modex beginning with 0. This would have made the CAG, or Commander of Air Group, an admiral, as Admiral's aircraft carry a modex of 000.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

If you look at VF-84 the US Navy Squadron that Skull Squadron is based off of, youl note that they used low vis insignia while maintaining their Black/Yellow/White highlights, for their Sqdn and group commander's aircraft (modex typically ending in 01 and 00 respectively), and since Focker flies modex 001 it fits. I like the repaint anyway, if nothing else it adds a bit of visual appeal instead of the stark white of the original.

*NOTE* Unlike US Navy Fighter Squadrons, which have modexes beginning with a 1 or 2, skull squadron had a modex beginning with 0. This would have made the CAG, or Commander of Air Group, an admiral, as Admiral's aircraft carry a modex of 000.

Clearly Roy isn't an admiral though. Also iirc (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Roy flew the first production VF-1. If that's the case it could means Spacy actually uses Airforce tail codes where the 3-digit number on the nose is the last 3 digits of the planes serial number. :ph34r: