Full Metal Panic gets Live Action Movie

wolfx

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...nic-film-rights

The Mandalay Pictures production studio has licensed the film rights to Shoji Gatoh's Full Metal Panic! high school action comedy light novels. The story centers around a brusque young sergeant named Sousuke Sagara who must protect an assertive high school girl named Chidori Kaname by masquerading (somewhat unsuccessfully) as a high school student himself. Actor Zac Efron (High School Musical, Hairspray, 17 Again) is reportedly discussing the project.

Shikidouji illustrated the original novels, and Retsu Tateo adapted them into manga form (pictured at right). Four television anime series, several spinoff manga, and a video special have since released. ADV Manga released both the first manga series and the Full Metal Panic: Overload! manga spinoff in North America. ADV Films and Funimation have split the North American DVD releases of the different anime series between the two of them.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Words escape me.....

when was the last time hollywood had an original idea?

Can't blame them on that.

In every forms of entertainment nowaday, originality is pretty much dead, name it video game, anime or movie. Producers and Directors alike are even afraid of being "different" because they can't make much money with that, and plus the economic breakdown around them, they are all trying to make a living.

I personally prefer nice execution over originality though, an original show with bad execution is still bad, unlike a stereotypical show with outstanding execution.

WHAT THE FRACK!!!!! :angry:

CGI Arm Slaves ala G-Saviour, anyone? :ph34r: CGI ARX-7 Arbalest, anyone? <_<

AND let me guess Zack plays Sagara? :wacko: Last time I watched FMP, FMP:F & FMP2 Sagara was'nt Caucasian. :rolleyes:

BTW.....someone rants about it:

http://cjblackwing.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/fmpmovie/

EDIT:

Just curious what's "Adolf's" reaction to this news? :ph34r: He was pretty much pissed with DB:Evolution, IIRC. :D

Edited by grss1982

The anime series, all 3 of them, are pretty damn good. Part 1 and 3 are serious stories with a lot of comedy in it, part 2 is more of a light, straight comedy series. I really don't see how they can keep this like the original in any way possible. Zack Effen Effren? WTF? That's already disaster in the works. Sosuke Sagara isn't even American, as one pointed out. I think that these movie companies need to wake up and realize that creating garbage movies and slapping an anime title on it, isn't gonna bring in fans. Anyways, I wonder who they're gonna cast as Kaname, or Tesa. Probably more High School Musical Brats.

Maybe if they do a side story with new characters because if any one remembers the live action Gyver it was terrible, and it will turn out the same way.

They need the people that did the effects on Iron Man I think they would be able to pull it off.

Do they describe Sagara early life in the manga? Was he born in Japan, and how he ended up in some God forsaken Stan?

Is Sosuke Sagara a Japanes name?

Edited by miles316

Are you talking about live actions versions made in Japan, or live action versions in general?

But other than the Gyver I don't have any opinion since I have not seen any of them.

The Gyver was kind of dorky, but it was the early ninety's.

LMAO this shows how seriously hollywood takes anime movies... First they butchered dragonball now this lol. The movie will probably have multiple musical scenes just like all the other great disney classic films... That is if this movie ever comes out...

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaat???????????????

SoC... Film? What are they thinking. They cannot be serious. That entire game was based on the fun of killing giants, it is not movie... no.. not even story book material.

What's next? Katamari? Tetris!

Edited by Cent

SoC... Film? What are they thinking. They cannot be serious. That entire game was based on the fun of killing giants, it is not movie... no.. not even story book material.

God forbid....little big planet, cooking mama, trauma center

It was so fun at the begining... then I felt sad :( (It does actually make a great story though...)

What hurts me the most, is that the guy who wrote SF: The Legend of Chun-Li is penning SotC... Why Sony? The addition of the game in Reign over Me was great, but why give this horrible treatment to your fantastic in-house title?

Edited by shiroikaze

Full Metal Panic gets Live Action Movie

YGBSM!! (You gotta be sh*ttin' me!!)

"Shadow of the Colossus getting big-screen adaptation. All hope lost."

YGBFSM!! (You gotta be f@$in' sh*ttin' me!!)

Where's the 'puking emoticon' when you need it........

BTW, Excillon, great line! :lol: :lol:

Looks like it'll be a "giant" flop then. :lol::ph34r:

You made me facepalm myself and laugh at the same time, that's quite a feat there.

Also,

When I thought up how the SotC movie should be, it came out to be almost exactly like that youtube vid (surprised me alot that someone actually had a similar idea, except this guy actually did something). If an SotC movie was ever released, it ought to be like this. But a little less angsty...

Edited by shiroikaze

Not liking this one bit. In 20 yrs Hollywood will run out of things to adapt into movies, and everything will be sequels, prequels, reboots, and reboots of reboots.

Make that 10 years.

Meh, it's already BEEN that way in Hollywood for over 50 years....