Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

O_O Those pics are amazing! Heatshield issue or not, I can't wait for mine.. If my heatshields are bad, then I'll leave the canopy as usual, like I did with the old 1/72 scale Yammie VF-11.

No biggie. :)

I really doubt the heatshield can be left off in the 1/60 version so you'll be stuck with half a heatshield deployed if this is indeed a problem.

But you can recreate the scene with the VF-11B holding the YF-21 after it malfunctioned.

You can... But I fear for the Yamato joints. Can the VF-11 really hold up the YF-21 in a stable self-supporting fashion? I doubt it.

Guess so. Overdrive isn't in on the 29th and may2-6.

I have some orders just sitting there still that I ordered last week.

Yuuuuuup.

Golden week! ;)

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html

EDIT:

To add to the list of possible re-paints, I just watched Ep20 of M7 last night, and lo and behold, Milia's red VF-11 looks good too!

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macross7/varia...f-11b-milia.htm

Edited by the_foul_fowl

I made a short video this morning showing how loose the lower half of the heatshield is on my 1/60 VF-11B.

It's on YouTube

This video was taken at about 6.30am, just after I'd woken up, so I probably sound really sleepy and don't really remember what I said or mumbled.....LOL!

Oh, and no reply back yet from my email to Yamato abot the heatshield, but that is to be expected, given the Golden Week holiday.

Graham

Thanks for the video Graham!

The toy looks absolutely awesome. Yamato really is getting the art of making valks down to a T.

It's too bad that they dont spend enough time on QC.

It's kinda mind numbing when you think about the things they do slip on.

After touting the ingenious way they got the heatshield to work on close ups and stuff,

you'd think and expect that they'd make sure it was free of issues.

I tip my hat off to the folks willing to plop down $200 bucks knowing you'll get

vf-11b "cyclops edition". I want mine with both lids closed.

I made a short video this morning showing how loose the lower half of the heatshield is on my 1/60 VF-11B.

It's on YouTube

This video was taken at about 6.30am, just after I'd woken up, so I probably sound really sleepy and don't really remember what I said or mumbled.....LOL!

Oh, and no reply back yet from my email to Yamato abot the heatshield, but that is to be expected, given the Golden Week holiday.

Graham

Man that's real loose. Am I right to assume that the tabs in the heatshield should be touching and locking the lower heatshield into place but its too short to do it ?

Man that's real loose. Am I right to assume that the tabs in the heatshield should be touching and locking the lower heatshield into place but its too short to do it ?

Yup, that's about it.

The tab on the upper heatshield is too short/small and there's no tension to keep it locked into the indentation on the underside of the lower heatshield. :(

On the positive side, the arm and leg joints are nice and tight. Notice the arms stay rock steady and don't flop around at all, even when I'm turning the toy upside down. :)

Graham

OK, just received an email back from Yamato and they said: -

Yes, Graham. It is simple. I think you did not pull up the bottom part of the heatsheild enough. If you carefully do so to the maximum extention, then the bottom sheld should be locked. Please try and let me know the result.

Will try when I get home tonight.

I't going to be tricky to pull it up more though, as it's a slippery little focker.

Graham

I was going to suggest the same but from the video it didn't look like you could pull/grip the thing any further as you did try to get your fingers there to mess with the lower heatshield abit and it didn't seem to budge.

Anyway do let us know ASAP as mine is on the brink of cancellation at this point.

Damn golden week. I guess that HLJ won't be shipping this week either, SO that mean not until the end of next week at the earliest for me. Well at least I got a 1/72 VF-11B FP coming this week. It took me 3 and 1/2 years to finally replace the one that was stolen from me. I really hope the heat shield is a simple mistake like everyone else, but if not I'll still enjoy it.

OK. There is a trick to getting the lower heat-shield to lock......and it's REALLY.....STUPID.

First I wanted to see if the lower heat shield would lock without the escape-pod in there. Yes, there is a little groove that it follows and locks into but there is not enough room for it to do so with the escape pod in there. And it won't stay unless it has some pressure from behind.

NOW......

When you first take the escape pod out you will see two pieces of springy foam packed in the back, behind the pod and one smaller piece in the nose-cone. DO NOT remove the smaller piece.

The smaller piece left in there gives a nice amount of pressure that gently pushes the pod against the heat-shield. Slightly sliding the little switch underneath the fusealge that lowers and raises the pod will help lock it in. I woke up the i morning and the lower half was still in place.

However.....I really do not want to pay 17,000 for a Trans-foamer.

Edited by Alex

I have to say it really is a beautiful toy. Some really clever engineering going on there as well, with the transformation.

Graham

not beautiful enough for $200 for a heat shield that doesnt work properly which is a major part of the plane/toy

I think my 1/72 rocks!

Edited by nugundamII

OK. There is a trick to getting the lower heat-shield to lock......and it's REALLY.....STUPID.

First I wanted to see if the lower heat shield would lock without the escape-pod in there. Yes, there is a little groove that it follows and locks into but there is not enough room for it to do so with the escape pod in there. And it won't stay unless it has some pressure from behind.

NOW......

When you first take the escape pod out you will see two pieces of springy foam packed in the back, behind the pod and one smaller piece in the nose-cone. DO NOT remove the smaller piece.

The smaller piece left in there gives a nice amount of pressure that gently pushes the pod against the heat-shield. Slightly sliding the little switch underneath the fusealge that lowers and raises the pod will help lock it in. I woke up the i morning and the lower half was still in place.

However.....I really do not want to pay 17,000 for a Trans-foamer.

Ummm. Honestly I really hope that is not the case as that sounds really lame. Hope you guys continue to fiddle with the thing see what happens.

even if it is stupid, if it ends up making sure the bottom part of the heatshield won't flop down, i'll take it...

so... even when you shake the valk, the heatshield stays firmly in place now?

Edited by m0n5t3r

even if it is stupid, if it ends up making sure the bottom part of the heatshield won't flop down, i'll take it...

so... even when you shake the valk, the heatshield stays firmly in place now?

So far. I transformed it with the shields closed and they didn't once slip out of place.

keeping the foam in there is definitely better than having to apply nailpolish/glue just to make things lock into place, like on other valks :rolleyes: ...

EDIT - Materials list should be revised to: ABS, PVC, FOAM :lol:

Edited by m0n5t3r

So Alex, are you saying there are three peices of foam in total?

I removed two first of all, didn't notice a third.

Graham

Sorry. There's just the two pieces. The one in the nose-cone (the smaller one) should be left in there.