The economy and your collection.

nghia59

Hopefully it should continue to rise. I read an article on cnn or somewhere that mentioned how the US dollar's strength is improving due to people starting to see it as comparatively stable vs other currencies. It mentioned that since the US was the first to fall, it would be among the first to recover. In comparison, Japan will likely recover much later.

Heh I read the same article. The reasoning behind it is not entirely sound though.

Even with the massive debt load (and worst kinds of exposures) that America has; it's also has a good chance to recover. It might sound like a cliche but American's do know how to get themselves off the floor and kick some major *ss... (of course that's only after they've made every single mistake in the book).

Japan (to me anyways) seems to be a nation of great people and culture (I really hope I can visit it next year but that seems less and less likely). Unfortunately, its government wasn't bold enough nor swift enough to act after the economic crisis of the late 80's. Now they've exhausted all their options... being the world's banker won't hold off the inevitable. Still... it can recover with the help of other nations (yes... even China).

The rise in the stock markets today gave me new hope. Not because of a simple fluctuation to the upside, but because such a day could have been possible in such a depressed economy. It shows that faith and inspiration could still have an effect on the markets (weather its logical or not). I don't think we're anywhere near the bottom yet, but I do have hope.

Back in the Great Depression, it wasn't the Great Deal or WW2 that got the world on its feet, it was people's faith in themselves and each other. I'm not a religious person, but time and time again, humans showed that they can achieve the miraculous when they just have enough confidence. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach the dumb*ss to fish and you feed him for life.

Sometimes people need a swift kick to the balls to realize the folly of their ways; and usually, they have enough sense to pick their nuts off the floor, learn from their mistakes, and achieve far higher goals. It's the first day that I haven't had to use a glove for my eczema today, and the past 5+ months of blinding pain & being high on meds have given me a new outlook on life. I think adversity only makes people stronger and better.... let's home I'm right.

Edited by D_Unit

I'm doing fine economically but I just have more bills now so I can't really buy any. Also I've been seeing that reissues don't tend to gain any value, so you pretty much should only be buying these for if it is what you want. If I was to start buying again, I'd need to finish out my 1/60 collection not worrying about stupid variants since these things aren't worth that much $ to begin with and also would need to get the new 1/55's with boosters which I find to be overpriced.

I was hoping for at least a VF-1D 1/55. Now I don't know where that is going, probably nowhere. It'd be nice to have a super ostrich some day too but I doubt they'll ever reissue that the way things are going.

I don't know if this is happening in other areas of the world but there's been an increase in sightings of new Transformers in my area being returned with older/less popular Transformers in their place (new packaging re-taped with the old crap inside). I guess the mass retail store clerks aren't keen enough to notice the difference. I'm glad Macross products can't be returned/repackaged so easily. I know we're in a recession, but this is a new low.

I don't know if this is happening in other areas of the world but there's been an increase in sightings of new Transformers in my area being returned with older/less popular Transformers in their place (new packaging re-taped with the old crap inside). I guess the mass retail store clerks aren't keen enough to notice the difference. I'm glad Macross products can't be returned/repackaged so easily. I know we're in a recession, but this is a new low.

Yep, that'a a big low. I hope those that have done that have their collections evaporated. That's just straight theft. If not evaporated, at least I hope they're put in a position where they have to liquidate their collection at less than what they paid for all of it. It's hearing crap like that, that really pisses me off.

Well, I was lucky to land my job as an R&D engineer right before the banks started to collapse. Thanks to the fact that I work in R&D for the only division in the company doing what I do, my job is basically safe. As for purchases of toys, I used to buy from overseas for mostly gunpla. But as of late, due to exchange rates, Ive been doing my shopping through forums like hobbyfanatics. Usually , I can get excellent prices through forums. As for purchasing toys outright, most of the shopping is done when the stuff I want is at a discount. Right now stores like HobbyLink Japan and BigBadToyStore have pretty deep discounts for a nice selection of sci-fi stuff, including Yamato Macross toys.

Since I live with my parents now, though, I have very little room to house my collection if I were to expand it, so Ive been mostly interested in smaller stuff like revoltechs or MSIA action figures.

Fed chief Bernanke: recession could end in '09 - America's recession "probably" will end this year if the government succeeds in bolstering the banking system, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Sunday in a rare television interview. In carefully hedged remarks in a taped interview with CBS' "60 Minutes," Bernanke seemed to express a bit more optimism that this could be done.

This is from the AP today. Hope it holds true.

It would be nice collecting while the economy is strong. Wonder what prices were like for Yamato stuff a few years ago. It seems there is too much stuff available and not enough dough to go around to cop it all.

I've seen this more often with GI-Joe toys. People call it repacking. On hisstank.com there was a thread with people sending in pictures of repacked stuff in the store. The thing that made it easy for GI-Joes is that there were cheaper versions of many figures sold at discount stores like Dollar General, etc. Or, they would get some other cheap military figures and swap it. I've seen this done to vehicles as well. It really frustrates me because most stores will simply leave it on the shelves even when your bring it to their attention. The other sad things is some unsuspecting buyer may buy it not knowing the difference. Say a parent comes in to buy the toy as a gift. Can you imagine the look on their kids face when they get the faux GI-Joe.

Fed chief Bernanke: recession could end in '09 - America's recession "probably" will end this year if the government succeeds in bolstering the banking system, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Sunday in a rare television interview. In carefully hedged remarks in a taped interview with CBS' "60 Minutes," Bernanke seemed to express a bit more optimism that this could be done.

This is from the AP today. Hope it holds true.

It would be nice collecting while the economy is strong. Wonder what prices were like for Yamato stuff a few years ago. It seems there is too much stuff available and not enough dough to go around to cop it all.

Saying it won't make it happen, and haven't there been concerns that the banks are still not lending despite federal bailouts? I think that many people still have their hatches battened down in anticipation of worse to come (which, ironically, could make it a self-fulfilling prophecy :p)

Oddly enough because of my current status I have a lot more available funds than I did years prior. I am in school so I use my loans for my apartment and bills, and I also get the G.I. Bill so I have more available money than before. I am more concerned about getting a job when I get out, but as I am a filmmaker I am sure I can work anywhere just maybe not the job I actually want.

I would just add one element to Jenius's example - which is a GREAT illustration of what HAPPENED.

Now here's what's HAPPENING:

Screw Up Banks and Businesses: Help! Help! We're going bankrupt and if we go down the world will end! We're too big to fail!

Solvent Conservative Prudent Banks and Businesses: Dag, we aren't doing too well either. We hope we'll be able to weather the storm that those idiots above caused.

Government: Actually - since you guys aren't going under we're going to take your money and give it to those first guys.

Solvent Conservative Prudent Banks and Businesses: Huh?

Screw Up Banks and Businesses: Yeah! Help us save us!

Government: Ok - We've taken lots of money from taxpayers and productive businesses and banks - here - you guys who are screw ups can have it.

NEXT WEEK

Screw Up Banks and Businesses: HELP HELP! Even though we just got 50 gazillion billion trillion million dollars we still can't run a business! Help! Save us!

Solvent Conservative Prudent Banks and Businesses: Good god...why can't those bozos just go bankrupt so we can buy up their assets for 25 cents and kick start the economy?

Government: Hey screw ups - thanks for existing and making it look like businesses can't function without us. We'll be sending you a check for another gazillion dollars in the morning. Oh - and can we now buy 55% of your assets and tell you how to run things?

Screw Up Banks and Busineses: Whatever! Just keep giving us other people's money PLEASE! And now - we've got a plane to catch to Vegas for a conference about the economy...

Government: Funny - so do we - see you in Vegas friends.

Solvent Conservative Businesses: Warning: soon we will have no money to hand out because you two guys are killing us.

Government: Don't worry - we have a printing press.... We got it cheap from Zimbawbe.

The End (of the World)

Pete

OMG that is exactly whats happened, in simple terms. Thanks Pete for making the Bank techno bable desolvbe into simple this is what happened.

I found a glimmer of economic hope this weekend... a store in my area that sells imports for less than I would have paid anywhere online (with exchange rates and shipping factored in). The drawbacks are that they're 2 hours drive from my house and they only stock Transformers & Toynami (N. American Macross/Robotech products). :rolleyes:

PS: The "toy swapping" in my area seems to be getting worst, at first there were deluxe Cybertron Transformers stuffed and returned in deluxe Universe packaging, yesterday someone found an Armada Laserbeak stuffed in a package that scanned for $25!?! :angry:

Edited by D_Unit

omg that toy swapping is really bad...

b4 the economy turned bad,

i never thought twice about getting one or 2 of the higher end yamatos (the yf-19, sv-51, yf-21 gang),

and could even forgive those vf-0 exploding shoulders.

now i wont even consider them, the vf-11b incldued.

the price is just too high

i need to think 3 times before getting a 1/60 vf-1 ver 2.0,

and 6 times before getting a destroid.

and for macross frontier,

i thank bandai so much for their great 1/72 vf-25 model kits that even outdo the DX vf-25 in many areas.

these frontier model kits have really saved me from getting into financial trouble,

and am still able to enjoy a beautiful vf-25 toy/model at the same time.

Edited by honkhet

The toy swapping stories are a great example of how large businesses loose out because their staff don't know apples from oranges...

But it's also a sad testimony to the lengths some people will go ...

:(

Pete

The toy swapping stories are a great example of how large businesses loose out because their staff don't know apples from oranges...

But it's also a sad testimony to the lengths some people will go ...

:(

Pete

Wow! I saw this many times when I sold home audio equipment; some nut case who purchased high end A/V receiver only to bring it back with some crap in it stating that "the crap" was in the box when he opened it. Had no idea this happened with toys as well. I agree with Pete that it is sad the lengths people will go. :huh:

we'll see. Since construction has slowed down, we've been slow since September. Just enough work to get by.

With all these damn bailouts, the US dollar is going to start tanking again..which will cause oil prices to go up despite there being a surplus and no demand.. <_<

..which will cause oil prices to go up despite there being a surplus and no demand.. <_<

It's already started. I heard a report on our local news radio station that gas prices are expected to rise 18 cents before the end of March...putting the national average back above the $2 mark. Here we go again...

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Here we go again...

Yeah - whether it's gas, the price of foreign currencies or any other factor - this is really what's making it hard to get ahead in this kind of economy: namely, the uncertainty.

I mean - how are you supposed to draw up a business plan and determine whether you're doing well or not if ALL of your variable change so radically?

Naturally, variables like prices are always in flux and profits are usually fairly marginal as a percentage of turnover, but when your variables are swinging so wildly - heck - the numbers could make you think you're doing fine when you go to bed, and the next day you're bankrupt and everything is going to hell and the next day you're back to doing fine.

I have my theories about how to remedy this - but that would be out of bounds so I'll just leave it at this :)

Pete

(who will start paying attention to the price of gas more accutely as soon as he finishes his drivers ed, gets his license and buys his...FIRST CAR! wooo! )

OMG that is exactly whats happened, in simple terms. Thanks Pete for making the Bank techno bable desolvbe into simple this is what happened.

you forgot to add the economic genius' who think they can forecast human behavior when it comes to shopping and everything else in the known and unknown universe

IE

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/604033

which of course is easily going to be explained by doing this.....

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/605117

Edited by slaginpit

that would only apply to items that don't move and shops have a lot of stock left over... i have seen other more hard to find, low stock items whose prices were increased just because the local exchange rate dropped... here too, those GN-U have dropped to just about the same price and still people aren't buying...

i dont know arrow, from shops, prices are going up, way up actually. And being from Canada, the dollar is now almost 30% less than US, when it was to par till end of last summer. Makes things extremely difficult. Thats 30% increase for me, on top of all the manufacturing increases.... do you think i am making more than 30% of what i was making last year ??? I guess maybe some people are selling their old stuff cheaper, though i havent found what i wanted, a wave sdf-1 for 50$ !!!!!

I am having not to buy all the goodies that are coming out. 1 - 2 max expensive toys per year, and I already made a hard choice, knowing about what may or is coming out. For this year, i chose MP Grimlock (childhood foundness wins here), and i believe my last choice (really depending on price) would be the macross quarter (or a wave sdf-1 if i found cheap)... or/and a yf-21 repaint (though i dont think that would be this year, if at all). MH Rook would be a purchase as well, but not announced, and as price on this one is much lower, i can somehow maybe pull it off.

That means i had to sacrifice alot of goodies: Beta fighter green which i was gonna buy for sure (so sad), 1/60 v2 Ostrich, or any of the other vf-1 1/60th (really wanted the Max tv version), unless its a low vis scheme, at which point i would have to re-evaluate everything, no beautifull 1/60 vf-11b (though there is always a chance for second release on this), no vf macross frontier stuff, no beagle cyclones, no MP Skywarp or Thundercraker, and so many more really... man, what a bummer.

On the brite side, house pricing is coming down...

You want a good barometer for how the economy is going? Try my job: Local LTL trucking.

A bit of an explaination, here: I go around the greater Seattle area picking up little bits of freight all over the place. By 'little bits', I mean anywhere from one-to-three pallets, all the way to 26-30 pallets... now, I know this means bupkis to a lot of people, but the simple explaination is this. The more pallets I get, the more freight is moving, the better the economy.

Now, another point. Guys in my line usually see a drop in actual freight shipments during the winter months. When I first started, I thought that, with the Christmas season and all, winter would be a strong season for us, but that isn't the case. Most of the holiday freight we carry is sent out during the spring and summer, with a few panic shipments in the fall.

Finally, I come to the point. (YAY!!! right?)

This last winter, ever since the election, we saw a SHARP drop in freight. So much so, that most of our drivers were lucky to eek out 30 hours a week. It's showing a small upward turn now, in the last week, but still...

With that, the only toy purchases I've made this year were as follows:

A new laptop, since my old one was six years old, and dying. I did that with my income tax refund.

and, a Revoltech Soltic H8 Dougram, for a whopping $8... (A nostalgic purchase for me... if anyone cares to ask, I'll gladly explain)

Anyway... there's my two bits' worth...

You want a good barometer for how the economy is going? Try my job: Local LTL trucking.

A bit of an explaination, here: I go around the greater Seattle area picking up little bits of freight all over the place. By 'little bits', I mean anywhere from one-to-three pallets, all the way to 26-30 pallets... now, I know this means bupkis to a lot of people, but the simple explaination is this. The more pallets I get, the more freight is moving, the better the economy.

Now, another point. Guys in my line usually see a drop in actual freight shipments during the winter months. When I first started, I thought that, with the Christmas season and all, winter would be a strong season for us, but that isn't the case. Most of the holiday freight we carry is sent out during the spring and summer, with a few panic shipments in the fall.

This last winter, ever since the election, we saw a SHARP drop in freight. So much so, that most of our drivers were lucky to eek out 30 hours a week. It's showing a small upward turn now, in the last week, but still...

A new laptop, since my old one was six years old, and dying. I did that with my income tax refund.

and, a Revoltech Soltic H8 Dougram, for a whopping $8... (A nostalgic purchase for me... if anyone cares to ask, I'll gladly explain)

Why would it drop right after the elections?

Blame that on the crooks on Wall st. Not the President.

I have a retort to your statement that I want to post, but this board has a "no politics" allowed policy and I don't want to push any rules. <_<

I ship LTL and most of the trucks that come in my dock lately are empty or half full. Been that way since September. Some of the drivers I talk to have had their hourly pay cut and less hours per week.

Usually this time of year is busier... :unsure:

I have a retort to your statement that I want to post, but this board has a "no politics" allowed policy and I don't want to push any rules. <_<

Feel free to PM me your comments.....I would love to hear your retort. B))

Anyway.......It looks like once I add the Ozma amored to my collection. That will be it for me. Until I see something that is hot enough from the Macross universe worthy of my hard earned cash.

Edited by SilentCrossHairs

It's already started. I heard a report on our local news radio station that gas prices are expected to rise 18 cents before the end of March...putting the national average back above the $2 mark. Here we go again...

Yep. Gas was $1.66 a gallon just two weeks ago. It's now up to $1.80 as of yesterday. I won't be surprised if it has gone up again when I go fill up today. Frickin gas is cutting into my toy money! :angry:

I ship LTL and most of the trucks that come in my dock lately are empty or half full. Been that way since September. Some of the drivers I talk to have had their hourly pay cut and less hours per week.

Usually this time of year is busier... :unsure:

It's a damn shame, ain't it? Another thing about this market downfall is just as shameful... I've seen owner/operators that have had GORGEOUS tractors... Petes and KWs, with all the chrome and stainless steel in the world... Beautiful rigs... and these guys have had to sell them for a lot less than they are truly worth... You're talking machines worth half a million, easily... I was actually present at the time one O/O turned over his keys to the new owner... A beautiful Kenworth W-900 extended condo sleeper... Damn thing was a rolling palace, almost... And the guy had owned it from the factory floor... he had tears in his eyes when he turned over the keys...

Broke my heart to see that...

Another knife in the back foir this guy was that the IRS is trying to take 50% of what he actually realised from the tractor's sale... so he took a loss on the value of the truck, and the IRS is taking an even bigger chunk...

I tell you, it isn't right. :angry:

My buddy was telling me of a news article about how more and more women are doing the strip club thing or even porn movies in this down economy. You see, there is always a bright side to anything. The caliber of women in the adult entertainment industry is inversely proportional to how bad the economy is doing. :lol: