The economy and your collection.

nghia59

D Unit - I like the way you think dude :)

And in general - dag - I am learning so much from this thread. People are opening up and I guess unsurprisingly it turns out that this great forum is populated with great people :)

Pete

Agreed. No matter what walk of life most of us are from I think we do share many of the same convictions. There were times when people spoke from their hearts and not their egos. Maybe the one bright spot from this economic mess will be that people will get back to the basics and to what's really important in life.

Cheers.

Maybe the one bright spot from this economic mess will be that people will get back to the basics and to what's really important in life.

I'm cynical enough to believe that that won't happen-- else we wouldn't have these economic cycles of boom and bust. What we can do, though, is to recognize that these cycles happen and just learn how to ride them ^_^.

The current state of being isn't directly restraining my collection. IF anything,it's my desire to by a home in the near future< basically saving money and the uncertainties surrounding that sort of event keeping me largely in-check. Perhaps space as well.

My job is secure - thank god for civil service. As much as the youthful, artsy, geek in me wants to deny it, that may have been one of the smarter decisions of my life. Certainly the best timed as luck had it.

Anyway, my collection isn't very big, and I have little ambition for it to be huge. I'm just not into everything that comes out. Macross-wise, it helps that much of my obession for the VF-1 dried up as soon as I saw a VF-0. :wub: Matters aside, most anything I want in addition is generally pretty far down the pipeline like the DX Macross Quarter. Or just unannounced as of yet. (That goes for figures as well ..............for the most part. I can't wait for my teacher Yomako.)

It's silly, the only thing I'm debating now is the VF-11B..GN-U or 1/60? I like it, but I don't think I "$190!" like it. I could wait, but I keep having the GN-U monkey on my back. But I want the fast packs, and the added cost is rediculous. Doable, maybe even palatable, but still rediculous.

As someone who has run his own business for sometime now, I'll sum up the current economy like this. (from a real persons view, not an economist)

People and Money= Very little or No responsibility. Some people do, 90% don't.

People and Credit cards= Horrible stupid spending habits. Some people are good about it, the other 95% are NOT!!

People and responsibility= Nothing, very few are. "I'll buy it now, pay later." and when later comes, you don't have the money why?? Cause you already borrowed it.

People and Jobs= I don't want to work some crappy job, I only want a sit on my ass job. No hard work, no willing to get dirty, thats what day laborers are for and clean my own house and mow my lawn.....?? That what the guy with the broken down truck is for, cause I'm broke, no real income and want to live like a movie star.

Does this sound familiar. if you say no your in denial. And that is this countries problem. Denial of many things. Nobody wants to hear, if you want something you better be ready to work for it. Want those shoes, A new house, car or a Valkyrie? then you need to have the cash for it. Not a worthless credit card, because in the end, you owe 7-10x more than if you just had the cash on hand and were willing to work for it.

Yes the banks were crooked, its why I ended up with a rotten loan from former WAMU bank, I did it too, I'll take the money now and pay it later. People lost their homes why, "I want the pretty house, the big house, the $750,000 house in Winnetka, CA or Northridge, CA or in Temecula, CA. (places i used to live) And whats that you say, you only make $30,000 a year, well sure heres the loan with a variable APR and a house you'll never pay off!!!

Even being here in Lawrence, KS where it really is a beautiful place to live, nice people, you would not think this to be the Midwest and has much more of a Old Pasadena meets Santa Monica vibe to it, rent is 1/2 of what I paid in L.A. But with the way things are, my Macross collecting days are very limited.

So if anything, maybe I'll try for the 1/2000 SDF-1 next year when it comes out and a few of the 1/100 VF's. The VF-4 and VF-2SS and VF-0's without shattering shoulders, I'm in for that. But for now I am happy with what I have. Growing up as a kid of the early 80's I always wanted Roy & Ichijo's VF-1S with Fast packs and a few others, I have them, so its all good!!!

But again if people would just tell them selves, if i want it, I better have the money on hand. Credit cards are evil. And if you by some means have the ability to be safe & beyond responsible with them, open a counseling service or open How To classes for people!!!! It will be a better world!!

Another rant brought to you by the 505th Airborne.

One positive note on credit cards. I buy everything on a credit card and pay the card off every month. I get approximately 2% back on my credit card purchases in either money or travel rewards. So, I never pay a dime of interest and about once a year I get a free vacation (well, flight and maybe hotel). I also get a company on my side if I feel a vendor or merchant screwed me over. So, yeah, 99% of people out there should think of credit cards as the devil. If you're really up on how to use them though, things can work out pretty nice.

...I buy everything on a credit card and pay the card off every month. I get approximately 2% back on my credit card purchases in either money or travel rewards. So, I never pay a dime of interest...

QFT... now that is the way a CC should be used... took me 3+ years (and lots of fights :blink: ) to convince my wife ^_^ ...

Edited by m0n5t3r

One positive note on credit cards. I buy everything on a credit card and pay the card off every month. I get approximately 2% back on my credit card purchases in either money or travel rewards. So, I never pay a dime of interest and about once a year I get a free vacation (well, flight and maybe hotel). I also get a company on my side if I feel a vendor or merchant screwed me over. So, yeah, 99% of people out there should think of credit cards as the devil. If you're really up on how to use them though, things can work out pretty nice.

Then you are of a very small percentage that gets it. Never change Jenius or its a true Nightmare!!!

Yea, I am with Jenius on the credit card issue. The credit card companies are like vampires and preys on the many. It is nice to know there are people in this world that turn the tables on them and use the credit card companies to get money back.

I know many are worried about this global economic crisis. I cannot offer any solutions or comforting words, but it is a good time to put the things and services that we NEED in life first over things and services that we WANT in life. Unfortunately, toys are a "want" item.

But if there is any money left over after paying off all the needs, save some and spend some on things that are in the WANT category. Choose toys more carefully.

Think twice, buy once. ^_^

Personally, I agree with Jenius about credit cards too.

One of my biggest problems as a business is slow cash flow, and I often have to "borrow" money from myself. If I didn't have my credit card, I'd have gone under before being able to do anything. Polish people don't use checks, very few of them use paypal, most of them use bank wire transfers, and lots of them apparently do "keep their money in a shoe box" because they use the post office to wire money rather than doing it from their bank. There's also a system whereby if I send someone a package, they have the option of paying the mailman for it upon reciept, and then the post office wires me the money.

This means that there's usually at least 7 days from "day of purchase" to "day Peter actually sees the money on his account." This often creates a cash flow nightmare.

Thanks to my credit card, I can make purchases and payments to keep my business afloat. They key, of course, is to quickly pay yourself back and only use the credit card when you are 100% money is coming in (well - 99%... :) )

And yeah - credit cards also offer you perks like if you use them you get a discount at select stores. This was moderately helpful when I would shop for stuff for me or my girlfriend during the boom. Not so helpful now when we really don't do much shoppng any more.

But I agree - if you're smart - you won't get killed by your credit card and it can be a helpful resource.

Pete

Well, I went unaffected for a long time, until Caterpillar announced their layoffs (I'm a CNC setup machinist for them), until the end of January, when they asked higher seniority people if we wanted to take a voluntary layoff for three months, with a guaranteed recall after my 3 months was up. I was worried at first, but then I found out I'm getting 30 dollars MORE a week than I was working, and in accepting the voluntary layoff I was able to keep my insurance as well, and cash out my remaining vacation time for the year. I also just ran into a guy from work who's still there, and he said the past 3 weeks they've all been cut down to 24-32 hours a week, so I'm actually doing BETTER that they are. I'm using the time constructively, spending time with my kids and I enrolled in a Swiss CNC course at the local college, so I'll actually come out of this being more qualified than I was going out on layoff.

My collecting has been non-exsistant as of late though, mostly because I'm more of a modeler than a toy collector, and the focus of my collection is PG Gundams, which haven't had a new release in like 5 years. I did pre-order the Astray Red, as it's my favorite Gundam so I had to. I'm also using the time to build all the kits I have still sitting around and never got to. The only things I can honestly say in the past year or so I've felt the NEED to buy other than the Astray PG is the Mac Frontier kits, and the 1/55 super 1A Max and Hikaru. So I haven't spent too much.

I was a computer technician at the dead and stinking financial firm called Lehman Brothers in NYC. Yes the CEO Dick Fuld, made off like a bandit with 500 million dollars. While my ass has been jobless for 17 months. I knew the firm was going to tank. We were losing $270 million dollars like it wasn't nothing. Thank God I took my trip to Japan before I was laid off. My collecting has slowed a lot. All I want is one more toy. Thats the CM's Bartley's cyclone. Than I'll put the breaks on collecting until I can get a job. I had set up a website so I could repair PCs and Laptops. So Thats putting some green in my pocket. It could be worst I guess. So I'll consider myself blessed. After I take my networking exam I think I'll get my bartending license. Bars are making a lot of money now a days.

While I'm not a "toy guy," my collection of models has slowed a bit. Partly due to caution. I think the same thing is affecting the world economy ironically. Everyone is concerned they may not have a job tomorrow so they cut back on their spending.

You just have to be creative. For example, a lot of restaruants are losing customers. But here in the UK, KFC is building several new restaraunts due to the demand for cheap fast food! I'm just collecting cheaper now too ^_^ - MT

Touch wood my job is OK. I sell law enforcement equipment to various government agencies here in Asia and if anything crime and the demand for the stuff I sell is likely to increase in the present financial crisis.

Likewise my wife is a civil servant, so her job is (touch wood) secure.

Still, just to be prudent, I'm trying to save more and cutting down my collecting by just buying one of each item I want, rather than multiples like I would buy in the past. I'm also cutting out buying non-canon repaints. Too expensive and no space to display them anyway.

I'm also confining my purchases to Macross only, no other franchises at all.

Graham

I was a computer technician at the dead and stinking financial firm called Lehman Brothers in NYC. Yes the CEO Dick Fuld, made off like a bandit with 500 million dollars. While my ass has been jobless for 17 months. I knew the firm was going to tank. We were losing $270 million dollars like it wasn't nothing. Thank God I took my trip to Japan before I was laid off. My collecting has slowed a lot. All I want is one more toy. Thats the CM's Bartley's cyclone. Than I'll put the breaks on collecting until I can get a job. I had set up a website so I could repair PCs and Laptops. So Thats putting some green in my pocket. It could be worst I guess. So I'll consider myself blessed. After I take my networking exam I think I'll get my bartending license. Bars are making a lot of money now a days.

Ouch. I feel your pain. I still cannot believe these MFcukers made those kind of money, hurt so many people, and yet get to live a good life.

Why no one bother to run them down or shoot them, I have no idea. After all, innocent children in schools are gunned down for no reason. I would if I had lost everything because of these arseholes. Think Maddoff.

I apologise for the strong language. But I cannot think of more appropriate terms to describe these criminals.

All the best mate. Keep up the cheer and listen to Monty Python alot. Good luck. ^_^

Edited by blacklotus

I apologise for the strong language. But I cannot think of more appropriate terms to describe these criminals

Again - I understand the emotions some people are feeling due to all the bad stuff going on. Believe me, I share your sentiment.

But I honestly think we have to be careful about channeling that emotion in unhealthy ways.

1) Someone who hasn't broken any law is not a criminal, even if he has done something very very ugly and low.

2) Somene who has not been convicted by a court of law is not a criminal, even if he is a suspect in a crime or if he is in the process of being tried for the crime.

I bring this up only because I think that - as someone mentioned ( think it was Jenius) a few pages back - when there's a boom, we tend to all live it up and party and we really don't care who is making off with what as long as we get a piece of the action. As soon as things go south, it's "let's point fingers and hiss" time.

That is not fair and it's dangerous.

I have my own business and am a one-man show, so really don't have to deal with people (well, I deal with customers. It's easy - they want/I give with a smile. I don't have to deal with "co-workers" and "bosses" and 'corporate culture' and all the politics involved in that)

But my girlfriend works in a big company where she deals with lots of people. She is editor in chief of a few magazines and lately her company has been starting to lay off people, cut back on spending etc etc.

People were promised promotions and raises - and now they are being told there's no place for them.

Initially, my Girlfriend had this same reaction as some of you guys "boy - the management is being evil. How could they promise raises and promotions to people and now they're laying people off?"

I told her to think for a minute. Does she really think that financial managers and accountants are HAPPY with this? Those promises were made during the boom - when it seemed that they couldn't find enough people to work in their office and when workers felt confident enough to actually put my girlfriend in a position of "well if you don't give me a THIRD raise I'm going to the competition which is buying us all off."

Those times are OVER.

ANd it does no good to point fingers and say "well this guy is an evil bum bleh bleh bleh." He's not. He would be quite happy making his millions and running a successful business rather than having his company crash and running off with cash and having people think him an ass for it.

I'm not talking anybody in particular - but just in general. And that's my point:

Remember: YOU could be the next "evil dude" when the finger pointing and witch hunting starts. YOU could be the one who is "to blame." No matter if you are a big corporate exec or if you are the shift manager at MacDonalds.

I just don't think it's healthy to generally attribute blame all over the place. Some people surely committed crimes and will be proesecuted. But most folks are probably guilt of the same thing as all of us: believing the hype and thinking the boom would last forever.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Again - I understand the emotions some people are feeling due to all the bad stuff going on. Believe me, I share your sentiment.

But I honestly think we have to be careful about channeling that emotion in unhealthy ways.

1) Someone who hasn't broken any law is not a criminal, even if he has done something very very ugly and low.

2) Somene who has not been convicted by a court of law is not a criminal, even if he is a suspect in a crime or if he is in the process of being tried for the crime.

I bring this up only because I think that - as someone mentioned ( think it was Jenius) a few pages back - when there's a boom, we tend to all live it up and party and we really don't care who is making off with what as long as we get a piece of the action. As soon as things go south, it's "let's point fingers and hiss" time.

That is not fair and it's dangerous.

I have my own business and am a one-man show, so really don't have to deal with people (well, I deal with customers. It's easy - they want/I give with a smile. I don't have to deal with "co-workers" and "bosses" and 'corporate culture' and all the politics involved in that)

But my girlfriend works in a big company where she deals with lots of people. She is editor in chief of a few magazines and lately her company has been starting to lay off people, cut back on spending etc etc.

People were promised promotions and raises - and now they are being told there's no place for them.

Initially, my Girlfriend had this same reaction as some of you guys "boy - the management is being evil. How could they promise raises and promotions to people and now they're laying people off?"

I told her to think for a minute. Does she really think that financial managers and accountants are HAPPY with this? Those promises were made during the boom - when it seemed that they couldn't find enough people to work in their office and when workers felt confident enough to actually put my girlfriend in a position of "well if you don't give me a THIRD raise I'm going to the competition which is buying us all off."

Those times are OVER.

ANd it does no good to point fingers and say "well this guy is an evil bum bleh bleh bleh." He's not. He would be quite happy making his millions and running a successful business rather than having his company crash and running off with cash and having people think him an ass for it.

I'm not talking anybody in particular - but just in general. And that's my point:

Remember: YOU could be the next "evil dude" when the finger pointing and witch hunting starts. YOU could be the one who is "to blame." No matter if you are a big corporate exec or if you are the shift manager at MacDonalds.

I just don't think it's healthy to generally attribute blame all over the place. Some people surely committed crimes and will be proesecuted. But most folks are probably guilt of the same thing as all of us: believing the hype and thinking the boom would last forever.

Pete

That's how my rational side is thinking. However, when one reads about how Thain (ex-Merrill Lynch CEO) spends a million dollars to decorate his new BOA office while laying off people at the same time, that's when rationality disappears and the guns come out blazing. Sorry man, but's there's a limit to rational thought and all a person wants to do is to cut off someone's balls with a blunt knife. (think 'I Spit on Your Grave', 'Foxy Brown', 'Death Wish') :mellow:

Edited by blacklotus

My work requires me to do PR and solving customers technical problems. As long as forum like this one is active and bloggers continues to bitch; websites continue to be utilized; I am safe.

Unfortunately, the signs of consumer buying power, bank interest lowering and sharp ¨contraction¨(I just love how ¨experts¨ use this word) of market tells me otherwise. If I knew it better, the current state foreplay to a economy disaster. Other than my study loan I have no other form of commitment. So I consider myself lucky. I am currently surveying for own place e.g. an apartment.

I still collect toys as usual. I starts to bitch on toys like average bloggers. Since, I am living in a relatively safe neighbourhood it is no complain. Should I need a tool to give me ¨courage¨, I would seek Graham´s professional service.

Edited by einsamsoldat

Touch wood my job is OK. I sell law enforcement equipment to various government agencies here in Asia and if anything crime and the demand for the stuff I sell is likely to increase in the present financial crisis.

Likewise my wife is a civil servant, so her job is (touch wood) secure.

Still, just to be prudent, I'm trying to save more and cutting down my collecting by just buying one of each item I want, rather than multiples like I would buy in the past. I'm also cutting out buying non-canon repaints. Too expensive and no space to display them anyway.

I'm also confining my purchases to Macross only, no other franchises at all.

Graham

I cant believe you can afford multiples. I will buy high ticket items but only one. Can I buy some weapons from you TEEHEE B)) B))

The economy must in the tanker if there's a topic like this one being discussed in the toy section. But seriously, when you have the Federal Reserve which isn't part of the government but a privatized bank print so much cash, the savings that you have put in the banj and the interest accumulated depreciates in value and in turn inflation which is why the $.50 Coke you bought a year ago is now $.75.

Yes, I've cut back on all kinds of spending and I'm content but savings in my opinion is no saving grace. I don't trust the banks nor their claim of an FDIC guarantee. In reality my money is really their money. We're holding it for them momentarily in bits of computer data of ones and zeros. The physical money is being spent by them to acquire whatever they need to do to control or corner a market. So whenever a person has an inkling to get their money out of the bank well... ask the people in Greece, Iceland and now Ireland.

Well the value of money in the first place is imaginary, so whether you have paper which has imaginary value or you have electronic bits that have imaginary value doesn't really matter, does it? :p

I dunno. I live in a country where that kind of attitude got about 10 million people killed, so I prefer to just let it be and move on :)

Pete

Unfortunately, for those that trusted these 'crooks' with their retirement funds, I doubt they can just let it be and move on. Can one imagine asking the Jews to forget about Hitler and the gas chambers and move on? Can one imagine asking Stalin's/Mao's/Saddam's/Pol Pot's victims to forget about it and move on?

Sorry, but in my opinion, these financial crooks are the equivalent of those monsters. Lives and families are destroyed because of them. Imagine someone's 70/80 year old grannies and grandpas have to come back out to work as minimum-wage workers now because of these 'crooks'.

And if one goes according to recent trends, these 'crooks' with their highly paid lawyers will most likely get off scot-free. That's justice?

p.s. Sorry. Enough anger venting from me in Macrossworld forum. This is supposed to be a happy place for grown-up kids like us. ^_^

Ouch. I feel your pain. I still cannot believe these MFcukers made those kind of money, hurt so many people, and yet get to live a good life.

Why no one bother to run them down or shoot them, I have no idea. After all, innocent children in schools are gunned down for no reason. I would if I had lost everything because of these arseholes. Think Maddoff.

I apologise for the strong language. But I cannot think of more appropriate terms to describe these criminals.

All the best mate. Keep up the cheer and listen to Monty Python alot. Good luck. ^_^

Thanks

The crazy thing is that I saw this comming. Dick Fuld is a real "Greedy Dick". The thing that caught me off gaurd was the punch to the gut on a globle scale. It looked like every thing had shut down. But it's times like this that puts a lot of things in perspective. Its funny....... I didn't realize I had a nice size collection until I was jobless. :blink:

I guess its all about redistribution of money. some people loose / some people gain. i'm starting to realize some paper losses on some of my investments.

I'll still spend as much on each toy ($100 to $180) but not that amount anymore on a toy which is 90% plastic.

Yea, I am with Jenius on the credit card issue. The credit card companies are like vampires and preys on the many. It is nice to know there are people in this world that turn the tables on them and use the credit card companies to get money back.

I know many are worried about this global economic crisis. I cannot offer any solutions or comforting words, but it is a good time to put the things and services that we NEED in life first over things and services that we WANT in life. Unfortunately, toys are a "want" item.

But if there is any money left over after paying off all the needs, save some and spend some on things that are in the WANT category. Choose toys more carefully.

Think twice, buy once. ^_^

My sentiments exactly Ron. 505 sure hit home with me about 10 years ago. I was a foolish CC freak back in the day (wish I had known about Macross toys then :) ) . I learned my lesson and deal in cash only now. That's not to say that I haven't financed anything within recent years. I take advantage of the 18 month no payements no interest stuff, but I pay it off well before it's due where as in the past, I would just transfer the balance to another CC. These days I save for what I want and pay for it up front. Take the next vehicle I have to purchase for instance; it'll be a cash purchase (pre-owned of course). When I first learned about this hobby in January 2008 I was silly nilly with it. If I saw it and wanted it, I bought it; PERIOD! Now that the misses knows about the hobby and the expense associated with it, I have calmed some what. That doesn't mean I don't get what I want, it just means I have to be more logical when making purchases. When I first started collecting I had to appropriate funds to pay for my purchases. My wife, being the person she is, has figured out a way for me to still enjoy the hobby while at the same time not get silly with the purchases like I did in the past.

The economy and my irresponsible relyance on credit cards (7 of them almost all close to being maxed out) and inssuficient income and high expenses are definitely effecting my whole life. Earlier today I was trying to figure out which excessive expensive toys I will need to sell in order to make rent in 4 days. Then I realized that 4 days is not going to cut it. Now I am scrambling. But everytime I see my collection it still brings me happiness and I get absorbed. But I have been buying a lot less lately and it is ironic because there is more available now than ever before. At least I still have my basic needs met. A yamato SDF-1 is not going to be living in my house anytime in the foreseeable future. Oh well.

The economy and my irresponsible relyance on credit cards (7 of them almost all close to being maxed out) and inssuficient income and high expenses are definitely effecting my whole life. Earlier today I was trying to figure out which excessive expensive toys I will need to sell in order to make rent in 4 days. Then I realized that 4 days is not going to cut it. Now I am scrambling. But everytime I see my collection it still brings me happiness and I get absorbed. But I have been buying a lot less lately and it is ironic because there is more available now than ever before. At least I still have my basic needs met. A yamato SDF-1 is not going to be living in my house anytime in the foreseeable future. Oh well.

Honesty. That's why you will always be one cool cat in my book. Please believe you are not alone. For me, maybe not now but, been there and have the T-Shirt to prove it.

I'm in container shipping line & the economic downturn hv one of the most obvious impact on this industry. And things are still not looking bright. I hv seen some shipping companies here hv either wind up or are retrenching staffs. So far so good, my job is still ok (finger cross!). Smaller sized companies such as the one I work, tend to be more stable. Its the bigger organisation that are prompt to retrenchment, etc. But sometimes I can't help having that insecure feeling that anything can happen to any jobs, with all the spending on toys. :(

I mainly collect Macross & Transformer. I sold all my 1/48s (left only 1A CF) & are committed to collect just the new 1/60s. I hv to forgo the new Yamato SDF-1 too. I tried to cut down Transformers & just focus collecting the Henkei series only. Thankfully I won't be interested in upcoming movie toys. But damn, I hv paid the downpayment for MP Grimlock coming next March!

As Miriya rightfully said, every times when I look at my collections, there is still some feeling of happiness & satisfaction, despite the uncertainies ahead.

Edited by Javabean

And that's the excuse the banks will give you when they wipe out your money outta of the bank so I guess you're prepared. :lol:

Yep! I'm prepared if the banks go down or if the money goes Zimbabwe like I guess ^_^. Still, no one is going to insure you if that wad of cash under your pillow is stolen at night. If your money in the banks go down the government basically has to pay you back. So I'd rather take my chances with a good bank.

what i am doing during this economic downturn,

is limiting my new purchases to only 1/72 model kits (hasegawa or bandai frontier),

and a few yamato 1/60 vf-1 v2 once in a blue moon (no destroids for now).

once the economy picks up again, BANG i swear i'll own every repaint recolor and remold of all the yamato 1/60 and DX chogokin and friggin destroid out there :angry:

Somebody (governments) somewhere has got to have the guts to stop having the world's currencies peg to the Greenback. There's nothing in the past that I know of to measure what the U.S. is doing to the world's economy with their monetary policy. Japan's been printing Yen and converting to Greenbacks (for the U.S.) for years (soon to be decades), yet both currencies remain at relatively high levels due to their implied safety. And what is it with U.S. debt/treasuries that make it so appealing to China? I know they needed Americans to buy their goods before, but America's broke now?!?

I've read so many rational and experienced economists predict that the U.S. dollar may end up as useful as the old German Papiermark (a bit exaggerated I guess), but we are in uncharted territories here. Being Canadian, I may frown off the fact that I've just lost 20% of my purchasing power when it comes to imports, but at least it's still 20% higher than 10 years ago. Huh... what the heck is that supposed to mean?!? Oh I give up!

I guess I'm better off just figuring out my own personal fiances, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In Canada, we now have a $5,000/year tax-free investment account (even if I make a million out of that account it's still tax free... [that's what they say anyway] and I can add $5,000 the next year). Unfortunately, I'm spooked by the markets... and I may need that $5,000 for food rations, medicine, guns... and plenty of ammo.

Edited by D_Unit

what i am doing during this economic downturn,

is limiting my new purchases to only 1/72 model kits (hasegawa or bandai frontier),

and a few yamato 1/60 vf-1 v2 once in a blue moon (no destroids for now).

once the economy picks up again, BANG i swear i'll own every repaint recolor and remold of all the yamato 1/60 and DX chogokin and friggin destroid out there :angry:

Word. :ph34r:

- Nghia

Edited by nghia59

Somebody (governments) somewhere has got to have the guts to stop having the world's currencies peg to the Greenback. There's nothing in the past that I know of to measure what the U.S. is doing to the world's economy with their monetary policy. Japan's been printing Yen and converting to Greenbacks (for the U.S.) for years (soon to be decades), yet both currencies remain at relatively high levels due to their implied safety. And what is it with U.S. debt/treasuries that make it so appealing to China? I know they needed Americans to buy their goods before, but America's broke now?!?

I've read so many rational and experienced economists predict that the U.S. dollar may end up as useful as the old German Papiermark (a bit exaggerated I guess), but we are in uncharted territories here. Being Canadian, I may frown off the fact that I've just lost 20% of my purchasing power when it comes to imports, but at least it's still 20% higher than 10 years ago. Huh... what the heck is that supposed to mean?!? Oh I give up!

I guess I'm better off just figuring out my own personal fiances, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In Canada, we now have a $5,000/year tax-free investment account (even if I make a million out of that account it's still tax free... [that's what they say anyway] and I can add $5,000 the next year). Unfortunately, I'm spooked by the markets... and I may need that $5,000 for food rations, medicine, guns... and plenty of ammo.

Because the US is still the world's biggest economy? Besides, what would be a suitable alternative for the US Dollar? The Euro? The politicians over here can't even get their act together on what to do about the economic crisis.

Because the US is still the world's biggest economy? Besides, what would be a suitable alternative for the US Dollar? The Euro? The politicians over here can't even get their act together on what to do about the economic crisis.

How about gold, it's worked work for centuries. But here are just too many powerful nations with their own agendas to make that a reality these days. If we peg the world's currencies to gold again, economist predict that many first world nations will loose their grip on economic dominance.

The inability of politicians to have a cohesive agenda is a good thing in this situation. As gold is a non-sentient entity, it can't make policy or shift economic priorities. So if the European countries cannot band together to screw the rest of the world (due to too many bureaucracies), then the Euro can act as pseudo-gold.

The debate against using the Greenback as world standard has ended in many circles, though if we can do anything about it is still in debate. Anything we little private citizens say or hope for may be moot.