Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

I think people are over reacting.

Although EXO is right about one thing - this is a bad way, PR wise, for Yamato to go about this... in the sense that I THINK, as some members have said, that this is the price for individual customers to come to them and say "make this for me" - and they'll make ONE for YOU. AKA - it's not mass produced.

On the other hand - there's been no confirmation of this - at least not in english.

But Yamato officially doesn't sell outside of Japan - so can you really fault them for not communicating directly in english about it?

Yes - this is a big failure for Yamato - but not because they are "stupid" and "made the price so greedy and high." It's a failure because they did the R&D on something that - even at 500 bucks per piece - apparently is not going to sell well enough to warrant them risking a mass production run.

It's not their "fault" and I really doubt they're expecting the mass of fans to pony up 2000 bucks.

It's not a mass production piece.

Have you guys seen it on pre-order at Overdrive, HLJ, Angolz or any other Japan-based or Hong Kong based shop? I haven't. I haven't gotten any word from suppliers that this this is even in the pipe line for general distribution.

Other than seeing it on Yamato's web-page - is it available anywhere else? Will it be? Can you walk into a store in Japan and get this? I doubt it.

Maybe I'm wrong (I'm often wrong, since I talk a lot...so it kind of goes with the territory) - - but I really get the feeling that it's not a mass production piece.

You guys should be happy they tried. Yeah, sure, it sucks they failed to make it a mass production piece. Who knows why? Probably a mix of problems - bad economy, costs too much, shipping, R&D blah blah - who knows.

But at least they tried.

And with all due respect - comparing this to the Batmobile - you yourself admit it's a whole different ball game. Macross is a niche. Macross has nowhere near the general recognition as Batman and the Batmobile - which has been a global brand since at least WWII.

As for this board - yes - it has thousands of members - but how many of them actively buy things? How many of them actively collect? A hell of a lot - yes. But enough to sustain a mass production run of this thing? No.

These are my totally biased and unsubstantiated opinions.

I would also like to say that I really love the pictures - especially how the legs panel slides open to reveal the city.

It would require lots and lots of paint though to make that city believable.

Maybe one day Yamato will do it.

I applaude them for trying and for pushing the envelope in a crappy economy.

They remain my favorite company on the market for anime goods.

Pete

I can easily see tons of lonely Japanese salarymen or public servants buying this with their next bonus (All Japanese full time employees receive an average of 2 months salary as a bonus twice yearly). Thats mostly why you see so many Japanese nobodys with expensive gear and possessions.

I can easily see tons of lonely Japanese salarymen or public servants buying this with their next bonus (All Japanese full time employees receive an average of 2 months salary as a bonus twice yearly). Thats mostly why you see so many Japanese nobodys with expensive gear and possessions.

Man thats not like that :lol: , those bonuses are common in almost every company in the world :lol: and I dont have the money for this SDF-1.

Edited by DarkEyes

Agreed, let's just calm down la~~~, they don't force us to buy. Personally, seeing some HD pix for the 1/2000 toy is already good enough.

Sign... Yamato, why not putting just 1/10 or 1/15 R&D cost to make the 1/48 1D/VE-1/VT-1 become true, no matter limited or not? It will be definitely much easier and to make a good profit in a very very very short run, isn't it? (Draw $350 in 5 run == Draw $ 2000 in one time, so simple)

I think people are over reacting.

Although EXO is right about one thing - this is a bad way, PR wise, for Yamato to go about this... in the sense that I THINK, as some members have said, that this is the price for individual customers to come to them and say "make this for me" - and they'll make ONE for YOU. AKA - it's not mass produced.

On the other hand - there's been no confirmation of this - at least not in english.

But Yamato officially doesn't sell outside of Japan - so can you really fault them for not communicating directly in english about it?

Yes - this is a big failure for Yamato - but not because they are "stupid" and "made the price so greedy and high." It's a failure because they did the R&D on something that - even at 500 bucks per piece - apparently is not going to sell well enough to warrant them risking a mass production run.

It's not their "fault" and I really doubt they're expecting the mass of fans to pony up 2000 bucks.

It's not a mass production piece.

Have you guys seen it on pre-order at Overdrive, HLJ, Angolz or any other Japan-based or Hong Kong based shop? I haven't. I haven't gotten any word from suppliers that this this is even in the pipe line for general distribution.

Other than seeing it on Yamato's web-page - is it available anywhere else? Will it be? Can you walk into a store in Japan and get this? I doubt it.

Maybe I'm wrong (I'm often wrong, since I talk a lot...so it kind of goes with the territory) - - but I really get the feeling that it's not a mass production piece.

You guys should be happy they tried. Yeah, sure, it sucks they failed to make it a mass production piece. Who knows why? Probably a mix of problems - bad economy, costs too much, shipping, R&D blah blah - who knows.

But at least they tried.

And with all due respect - comparing this to the Batmobile - you yourself admit it's a whole different ball game. Macross is a niche. Macross has nowhere near the general recognition as Batman and the Batmobile - which has been a global brand since at least WWII.

As for this board - yes - it has thousands of members - but how many of them actively buy things? How many of them actively collect? A hell of a lot - yes. But enough to sustain a mass production run of this thing? No.

These are my totally biased and unsubstantiated opinions.

I would also like to say that I really love the pictures - especially how the legs panel slides open to reveal the city.

It would require lots and lots of paint though to make that city believable.

Maybe one day Yamato will do it.

I applaude them for trying and for pushing the envelope in a crappy economy.

They remain my favorite company on the market for anime goods.

Pete

I heard it includes one night with the Macross singer of your choice.

Mind you - the sex only comes out to about 300 bucks - the other 2200 is for the singing ability.

Good looks and open legs are overstocked; singing talent is not.

Pete

If your unloading your 1/48 Lmk...i'll rather take them and use all my custom decals for them.. =)

$2k?

Go to hell Yamato. I quit.

Anyone wanna buy some 1/48's? This pretty much puts the final nail in my collecting coffin.

2k..... What the hell are they thinking.........seriously.....

Keep in mind that there's 1/144 and 1/100 resin kits sold in Japan that retail at 100,000 yen (Five Star Stories kits come to mind...). Those often aren't much taller than 15-20 cm, and don't transform. They are incredibly niche products made in very small numbers.

This is no different. Niche product made for well-off hardcore Macross otaku.

Regarding the resin it's made off, although Yamato says PU-resin, most resin kits are made from some form of PU resin, so that only doesn't explain the price.

Looking at those unpainted pictures, I'd say the dark grey/black parts are made from fiber- or carbon-reinforced resin: basically resin mixed with carbon fiber particles. This would explain the price, as it is quite expensive and requires specific tooling to produce. It also means that if something breaks, you are essentially screwed because it is very hard to repair. Luckily, the stuff is very, very tough.

Keep in mind that there's 1/144 and 1/100 resin kits sold in Japan that retail at 100,000 yen (Five Star Stories kits come to mind...). Those often aren't much taller than 15-20 cm, and don't transform. They are incredibly niche products made in very small numbers.

This is no different. Niche product made for well-off hardcore Macross otaku.

Regarding the resin it's made off, although Yamato says PU-resin, most resin kits are made from some form of PU resin, so that only doesn't explain the price.

Looking at those unpainted pictures, I'd say the dark grey/black parts are made from fiber- or carbon-reinforced resin: basically resin mixed with carbon fiber particles. This would explain the price, as it is quite expensive and requires specific tooling to produce. It also means that if something breaks, you are essentially screwed because it is very hard to repair. Luckily, the stuff is very, very tough.

The only FSS kit that comes close to the SDF-1's price is the WSC or Volks Twin Tower Jagd Mirage, which is more than five and a half feet tall and ran for 168,000 yen. Just sayin'. The typical 1/100 or 1/144 kit is priced much closer to the 20,000 mark. But yes, this very much falls into the typical Garage Kit line of production because, well, let's be frank that's exactly what it is.

[rant mode/on]

I don't want to be a party pooper but the SDF-1 is not going to be a $500 mass produced toy. Think about the $350 1/72 Moscato Glaug or EXO's $600 1/48 Thunder Hummer. Both offerings are well worth the asking price. Both made thanks to the love for this franchise and are true gifts for us fans. Neither EXO nor the Captain became rich with these offerings.

The metal molds to mass produce the SDF-1 (it was said it has 400 parts) mean a cost way above 50/75k.

If we demand a $500 retail price 1/2000 SDF-1, Yamato could charge $250 wholesale. Would Yamato be able to sell 1.000 units to japanese retailers/vendors? Sorry, but I don't think so. And if they could they're only getting $250.000. An A4 add in the mayor hobby magazines from Japan to promote this is in the 2k/5k range. If the toys are produced in China, think about the distribution costs. We're not taking a lot of factors into account. R&D, employees salary, taxes and so on.

A lot of people have the wrong perception that Yamato receives $89.99 for a 1/60 v2 VF-1. That's what vendors charge and they barely make a profit. Hell, Beagle couldn't even sell 3.000 Stick ride armors and the retail price was $199.

This SDF-1 is much more cost effective for Yamato if it's sold directly to the customer through the website and eliminating the chinese factories and all middle retailers. It's like a garage kit, designed by a small team and made entirely in the company.

It's depressing cause this experience shows us we can forget about a 1/60 Destroid Monster <_<

That's my 0,02 cents for what it's worth.

[rant mode/off]

so you're still gonna get it then? Can we make pilgrimages to your place to see it?

Well, you know... after making the millions from the Thunder Hammer I decided I can afford to get 3, one for each mode... both the prototype and the completed version due next year. That one is going to be more so.... looks like I have to churn out more THs...

I don't want to be a party pooper but the SDF-1 is not going to be a $500 mass produced toy. Think about the $350 1/72 Moscato Glaug or EXO's $600 1/48 Thunder Hummer. Both offerings are well worth the asking price. Both made thanks to the love for this franchise and are true gifts for us fans. Neither EXO nor the Captain became rich with these offerings.

no kidding! I was having lunch on the French Riviera the other day with Captain America and neither of is could afford real champagne to go with the caviar we had to drink some crappy napa valley crystale! ... tough times! I was thinking of tipping the maitre'd but I decided that I'm just gonna save up for the Macross... Sacrebleu!

oh well; I'm out, I was hoping to save up for it but after reading this there is no way I can get up to two thousand with my two jobs plus other expenses. It will just take too long and I don't have the time.

[rant mode/on]

The metal molds to mass produce the SDF-1 (it was said it has 400 parts) mean a cost way above 50/75k.

If we demand a $500 retail price 1/2000 SDF-1, Yamato could charge $250 wholesale. Would Yamato be able to sell 1.000 units to japanese retailers/vendors? Sorry, but I don't think so. And if they could they're only getting $250.000. An A4 add in the mayor hobby magazines from Japan to promote this is in the 2k/5k range. If the toys are produced in China, think about the distribution costs. We're not taking a lot of factors into account. R&D, employees salary, taxes and so on.

A lot of people have the wrong perception that Yamato receives $89.99 for a 1/60 v2 VF-1. That's what vendors charge and they barely make a profit. Hell, Beagle couldn't even sell 3.000 Stick ride armors and the retail price was $199.

This SDF-1 is much more cost effective for Yamato if it's sold directly to the customer through the website and eliminating the chinese factories and all middle retailers. It's like a garage kit, designed by a small team and made entirely in the company.

It's depressing cause this experience shows us we can forget about a 1/60 Destroid Monster <_<

That's my 0,02 cents for what it's worth.

[rant mode/off]

The question is why does Yamato create a SDF-1 with 400 pieces? Why don’t they create a mass production version with a reasonable price like Bandai did with the Quarter?

So Yamato could sell a lot but a lot of units, but not, they prefer made an ultra expensive SDF-1 that just few people in ALL the world can buy, and what is gonna happen then?

Well, the price is gonna be reduce because the lack of demand.

By the way, Yamato is hundreds of mile away of being a little team and nowadays almost everything is made in China because the cheaper costs.

By the way, Yamato is hundreds of mile away of being a little team and nowadays almost everything is made in China because the cheaper costs.

The SDF-1 will actually be made in Japan, like the Minmay doll was.

Well, you know... after making the millions from the Thunder Hammer I decided I can afford to get 3, one for each mode... both the prototype and the completed version due next year. That one is going to be more so.... looks like I have to churn out more THs...

\

No wonder you charged so much for those kits! I guess being so greedy paid off for you! :lol:

The SDF-1 will actually be made in Japan, like the Minmay doll was.

???

Actually of course it is, but you lose the point, the point is that if something is produced in China, doesn’t need to have high distribution costs, because as you surely know nowadays almost everything is made in China because the cheaper costs.

the thunder hammer was worth every penny, too bad most people who bought it have it deep inside their closet and not gracefully assembled on a 1/48

hey Save, maybe next time you meet up with some Yamato folks you could ask them why they did the SDF-1, what were they aiming for with its creation?

no kidding! I was having lunch on the French Riviera the other day with Captain America and neither of is could afford real champagne to go with the caviar we had to drink some crappy napa valley crystale! ... tough times! I was thinking of tipping the maitre'd but I decided that I'm just gonna save up for the Macross... Sacrebleu!

Time to make the second run

:lol::lol: