Official Yamato 1/60 Scale Destroid Thread

Graham

Looks AWESOME!

Do you think the Gundam Marker would work just as well over the weathering version? That's an incredible effect.

And how much to make me a hanger just like that one?

Thanks. Yeah, I think it would look great over the weathering version. I noticed that panel lines were missing for the most part on the weathering version so I believe it would make a great addition. But I am not sure what kind of finish they have done on the weathering version. if it is smudgy like the LV1 weathering was then you may want to clear coat first and then panel line on top of the dryed clear coat.

The Hanger was a kit made available by a member here. I bet he still has more. It was a very easy kit. I just used some rattle cans and weathering wash and some CA glue to hold it all together. The member is mslz22 and the topic thread is HERE I would reccommend sending him a PM as I dont think he hangs out quite so much here right now.

Noice! What color did you used on the Defender?

The Gundam marker I used was the Gray (fine-tip for panel lines) GM02 marker. Available at HLJ HERE

nicely done miriya. I'll get around to doing my Tomahawk one day. In fact, I need to take that sucker outta the box and let it breathe some fresh air :lol:

Awesome. I would love to see how it turns out. I think that the Tomahawk could really benefit from the panel lines too to make the detail pop from its fair complexsion.

Nice hangar pic! It really looks great with panel lining. Did you use the black or the grey panel lining marker?

Thanks! The Gray GM02 is the one I used but I did also try the sumire gray but it was a bit too faint comparitively.

Crap I didn't think the legs bent that much! My legs at the hips got the point where it was really stiff so I didn't bother to try to rotate them anymore (for fear of breakage) don't know if I have the will power to try still considering how stiff they get.

Oh and those Panel lines are awesome! Definitely going to have to look into getting a Gundam Marker!

Mine is stiff too but I felt brave and wanted to see exactly how far I could take it. The Gundam marker for panel lines is highly reccommended. I think it makes the destroid look multiple times better with the detail showing. Go for it!

That pose made me immediately think of this...

I am not getting the specific reference but I think that I get the joke. Nice.

Edited by miriya

Here are some of my destroids photos. I weathered the OG Tomahawk and applied stickers on it. It took me the entire day just to apply the stickers but worth the time. The weathering took me another day. Applied some metal stretches effects on it. Not sure if you guys could see it. I do have to comment on Yamato's sticker though. It's not really that great and I wish they could give us water decals as well. Something like Bandai's 1/72 MF kits.

Enjoy. Love my destroids and will weather all of them later.

Cheers.

ikhii

post-3479-1234060901_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234060965_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234060977_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1234060989_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234061003_thumb.jpg

Edited by ikhii

Here are some of my destroids photos. I weathered the OG Tomahawk and applied stickers on it. It took me the entire day just to apply the stickers but worth the time. The weathering took me another day. Applied some metal stretches effects on it. Not sure if you guys could see it. I do have to comment on Yamato's sticker though. It's not really that great and I wish they could give us water decals as well. Something like Bandai's 1/72 MF kits.

Enjoy. Love my destroids and will weather all of them later.

Cheers.

ikhii

Nice job! The weathered effect looks great. B))

... I do have to comment on Yamato's sticker though. It's not really that great and I wish they could give us water decals as well. Something like Bandai's 1/72 MF kits.

Which brings me to my question: Is anyone planning on offering after market stickers and/or decals for the 1/60 Destroids?

Great pics BTW.

Edited by mechaninac

Thanks guys for the encouragements. Will continue deliver some good photos and macross weathered toys later.

Here's my defender after weathering and stickers. It's not as much work as the OG TH and I don't really like the yellowish color actually. I can't wait for the OG defender and will surely be better looking with contrast stickers and weathering.

Anyway, hope you guys like it. Will do some simple QTVR after I finish all my Valks and that will surely take more time.

Cheers,

ikhii

post-3479-1234124523_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234124537_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234124548_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1234124559_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234124571_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1234124581_thumb.jpg

The Weathering Master sets like on this page? Did you need to put a clear coat over it after the weathering and if so which kind did you use?

Yep, those are the weathering tools that I used. I haven't put any clear coat yet but I like it the way it is. I may want to do some more touch up on details later. Maybe someone with more experience can share on putting clear coat over the weathered area.

The weathering stick is a bit more expensive but should worth the money. I preferred brush.

Cheers.

ikhii

Well I have gone and done it and I put the make up all over my defender. It is weathered in rust orange and turned out pretty decent looking. I will post pics as soon as I can. The thing is though that the stuff smudges off when I handle the toy. Is there any specific kind of flat clear coat that I can safely use over the Tamiya Weathering stuff and gundam marker to seal it all in? Is there something that I should avoid?

Well I have gone and done it and I put the make up all over my defender. It is weathered in rust orange and turned out pretty decent looking. I will post pics as soon as I can. The thing is though that the stuff smudges off when I handle the toy. Is there any specific kind of flat clear coat that I can safely use over the Tamiya Weathering stuff and gundam marker to seal it all in? Is there something that I should avoid?

Future floor wax through an airbrush is a safe clearcoat. You could try a tamiya spray clear as well. But Future definitely won't harm it.

Future floor wax through an airbrush is a safe clearcoat. You could try a tamiya spray clear as well. But Future definitely won't harm it.

Thanks. That is an interesting idea. I have some future but no airbrush. I do have a friend with an airbrush though. Is there something that I could mix with the future to make it flat instead of shiney?

OK so here are the pics of the defender with gundam marker panel lines

AND the Tamiya orange rust weathering master added. The Tamiya weathering Master is AWESOME and EASY to use. It does smudge though which is an advantage to gettting a good color fade but it will require a clear coat unless you do not plan to touch the thing.

I have not yet clear coated. Next I will clear coat and then maybe decals or stickers. . .

med_gallery_4840_310_1202695.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_1016941.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_108480.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_1295891.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_458728.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_410995.jpg

WOW!!!

Looks really good, seems like a great shading choice for us non airbrush users ^_^

Thanks Ignacio Ocamica, It was all actually really easy.

I encourage everyone to try these simple techniques. I am not an airbrusher and not really a modeler (I have only made a few). But the panel lines with gundam marker and the weathering with the Tamiya weathering master sets are SOOOOOO easy to apply, anyone can do it.

It was so easy and turned out so nice that I am going to buy another Tamiya weathering set (different colors) to weather one of my 1/48 VF-1S Yamato valks. Why spend hundreds of dollars for the limited edition when I can do it myself for $10 and a little time. The weathering on the destroid took me 20 minutes and there were NO complications whatsoever.

are these things still overpriced?

They sure are. I am still glad I got it though. It will be the ONLY one I will get. Except maybe a Monster.

Nice pictures! It is oh so tempting!!!

The temptation overpowered me regardless of the price. I am glad I got it though. A fantastic work of art.

This lowsy thread just made me buy a tomahawk and some gundam pens... Why!? WHY! On a related note, I've been using a small-ish pencils to do some panel lines on a VF-1A (not destroid, i know), and it does some awesome work - getting carbon char onto it thats actually carbon...