Official Yamato 1/60 Scale Destroid Thread

Graham

On Jenius's great Defender review he shows a feature I hadn't seen yet. There's an extra piece of the cockpit that comes off to show more of the detailed interior.

:blink:

Er, that's not a feature. You need to pop that piece off to get the pilot in. He won't fit through the "normal" doorway....

... and the original Battletech Rifleman had a large laser and AC/5 on each arm, anyway. ^_^

I gotta say, I'm lovin' this line. Though lack of a Spartan or Monster would disappoint the collector in me greatly, my overall Macross-fannishness is just adoring these new destroids.

Isn't the Defender equipped with 4 particle cannons? Either way, like has been said, the Battletech Rifleman has an AC-5 and a Large Laser in the arm, and in Battletech they have Particle Projection Cannons, not particle cannons ;)

P.S. Battletech is actually what got me into Macross, weird huh?

Isn't the Defender equipped with 4 particle cannons? Either way, like has been said, the Battletech Rifleman has an AC-5 and a Large Laser in the arm, and in Battletech they have Particle Projection Cannons, not particle cannons ;)

Nope, in Macross the Defender has four 78mm anti-aircraft cannons which fire physical rounds. The Tomahawk has two particle cannons, however.

And it was Battletech that got me into Macross too :D

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Lets clear this up:

The Defender:

4 x cannon Erlikon 78 mm liquid-cooled high-speed automatic cannon Type 966 PFG Contraves II, hence the ammo bins.

The Rifleman - RFL-5M (3050):

2 x Large Lasers

2 x Medium autocannons(Ultra-AC5). There are variants that had PPCs, LBX-10 or Ultra 10 autocannons though.

2 x Medium Lasers

The Tomahawk:

2 x Mauler PBG-11 liquid-cooled electrically-charged particle beam gun

2 x Ramington M-89 12.7 mm air-cooled MG

2 x Astra TZ-III gun cluster with each cluster featuring the following: 1 x laser gun, 1 x 25 mm MG, 1 x 180 mm grenade launcher, 1 x flamethrower

2 x Bifors close-in self-guided rocket launchers with 12 rockets per launcher (24 rockets total)

1 x Erlikon anti-aircraft self-guided missile option pack with 6 missiles

The Warhammer - WHM-4L (3050-theres no missles in the chest in the Battletech version):

2 x ERPPCs

1 x Streak SRM-6

4 x Medium Lasers

2 x Small Lasers

2 x Machine Guns

The Spartan:

1 x Astra TZ-IV gun cluster featuring the following (center chest):

1 x laser gun

1 x 32 mm MG

1 x 180 mm grenade launcher

1 x 12.7 mm MG, 1 x flamethrower

2 x Mauler RQV-10 anti-aircraft laser guns

2 x Bifors close-in self-guided rocket launcher with 12 rockets per launcher (24 rockets total)

The Archer - ARC-4M (3050 - theres is no center gun cluster on the Battle Tech version, think that is where they put the "head")

2 x LRM-20s with artimies

4 x Medium Lasers

Edit ah what the heck lets compare all the battletech drawing ripoffs (that I know of) to their Macross equivalent: :p

Glaug Battle Pod

1 x long range, electron beam cannon (mounted dorsal on the main fuselage)

2 x large-bore impact cannons (mounted on front arms)

2 x small-bore impact cannons (mounted on front arms)

2 x small-bore, laser anti-personnel cannons (mounted forward ventral on the main fuselage)

Marauder (3050 - MAD-2R)

2 x ERPPCs

2 x Medium Lasers

1 x Ultra Autocannon/5

VF-1A Valkyrie

1 x Fixed Mauler RÖV-20 anti-aircraft laser cannon, firing 6,000 pulses per minute

1 x Howard GU-11 55 mm three-barrel Gatling gun pod with 200 rds fired at 1,200 rds/min

4 x underwing hard points for 12 x AMM-1 hybrid guided multipurpose missiles (3/point)

Stinger (3050 - STG-3G)

1 x Medium Laser

2 x Machine Guns

VF-1S Valkyrie

4 x Fixed Mauler RÖV-20 anti-aircraft laser cannons, firing 6,000 pulses per minute each

1 x Howard GU-11 55 mm three-barrel Gatling gun pod with 200 rds fired at 1,200 rds/min

4 x underwing hard points for 12 x AMM-1 hybrid guided multipurpose missiles (3/point)

Wasp (3050 - WSP-1D)

1 x Medium Laser

1 x SRM-2

Valkyrie (3050 - VLK-QD)

1 x LRM-10 w/artimis

1 x Medium Pulse Laser

VF-1S FAST Pack "Super" Valkyrie

4 x Fixed Mauler RÖV-20 anti-aircraft laser cannons, firing 6,000 pulses per minute each

6 x micro-missiles in two NP-AR-01 micro-missile launcher pods (mounted rear-ward under center ventral section in Fighter mode or on lower arm sections in GERWALK/Battroid mode)

estimated 24 x micro missiles in two HMMP-02 micro-missile launcher pods

Phoenix Hawk (3050)

2 xER Large Laser

2 xMedium Pulse Lasers

1 x Anitmissle system

VF-1J GBP-1S "Armored" Valkyrie

2 x Fixed Mauler RÖV-20 anti-aircraft laser cannons, firing 6,000 pulses per minute each

56 x 28-cm-diameter Erlikon GH-32 Grenade Crusher high maneuverability micro-missiles (22 mounted in two shoulder launchers, 10 mounted in two chest launchers, 16 mounted in four side leg launchers, 8 mounted in four rear leg launchers)

18 x Erlikon GA-100 Crusher high-speed armor-penetrating projectiles (mounted in two lower arm launchers)

6 x Ramington H-22T large hand grenades (mounted on upper legs)

Crusader (Starleague)

2xLRM-15s w/artimis

4xStreak SRM-2s

2xMedium Lasers

2xMachine Guns

Gotta love FASA for their blatant rip off of the artwork. <_< It's just to bad the Archer was my favorite mech in Battle tech and one of the reasons I so want that destroid! :lol:

FYI: You can find all the battle tech info. here:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Technical_Readout:_3050

Edited by logos

Lets clear this up:

The Defender:

4 x cannon Erlikon 78 mm liquid-cooled high-speed automatic cannon Type 966 PFG Contraves II, hence the ammo bins.

The Rifleman - RFL-5M (3050):

2 x Large Lasers

2 x Medium autocannons(Ultra-AC5). There are variants that had PPCs, LBX-10 or Ultra 10 autocannons though.

2 x Medium Lasers

Snip

You missed the Phalanx/ Longbow. And arguably the Regult/ Ost series, and GERWALK/ LAM series.

You missed the Phalanx/ Longbow. And arguably the Regult/ Ost series, and GERWALK/ LAM series.

Didn't list the LAM's as I couldn't find the stats. But here they are.

The Stinger LAM

The Wasp LAM

The Phoenix Hawk LAM

I didn't think about the Longbow as I didn't think they had to reprint the TR 3058 to remove it but I do see the similarities.

Longbow.jpg

As to the Ostroc, Ostsol & Ostscout I see the similarities now.

Ostroc.jpg3025ostsol.jpgOstscout.jpg

Edited by logos

Gotta love FASA for their blatant rip off of the artwork. <_< It's just to bad the Archer was my favorite mech in Battle tech and one of the reasons I so want that destroid! :lol:

*cough* They licensed the artwork. It was one of Harmony Gold's "conquests" back when they decided to flex their muscles several years back, but really, FASA had the same rights to the artwork as Harmony Gold, but they flubbed up and thought they could poke that bees nest :(

Original game

Chicago-based FASA Corporation's original, 1984 BattleTech game focuses on enormous robotic, semi-humanoid battle machines called BattleDroids.[3] Their name was changed to BattleMechs in the second edition because George Lucas and Lucasfilm held the rights to the term "droid." The visual design of the earliest line of BattleMechs were taken from Macross and other anime, including many signature images. In later years FASA abandoned these images, and it was common speculation by fans that the decision was the result of a lawsuit brought against them by Playmates and Harmony Gold [uSA] over the use of said images.[4] No official broke the silence until 2007, after FASA had sold the BattleTech intellectual property to WizKids Games. Under license from them, the Classic BattleTech line developer for Fantasy Productions, Randall N. Bills explained that FASA had sued Playmates over the use of images owned by FASA, but received no compensation, even though Playmates was ordered to stop using the images in question. After realizing how the use of licensed images made them vulnerable to lawsuits and afraid that such a suit would bankrupt the company, FASA made the decision to only use images owned by them and them alone. The BattleMechs taken from the various anime sources were then considered "Unseen". When Fantasy Productions licensed the property, these "Unseen" images were expanded to include all art produced "out-of-house" – that is, whose copyrights resided with the creators, not the company. Catalyst Game Labs has continued this practice.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battletech

Oddly enough, most of the Battlemech designs in the Japanese versions of the game (which are extremely cool and definitely worth looking up) were penned by Studio Nue.

It's just too bad that those designs were some of the best of the series (Marauder & Warhammer from Macross, Battlemaster from Dougram especially).

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

*cough* They licensed the artwork. It was one of Harmony Gold's "conquests" back when they decided to flex their muscles several years back, but really, FASA had the same rights to the artwork as Harmony Gold, but they flubbed up and thought they could poke that bees nest :(
They did not license the artwork. Just the model kits. They were in the wrong to use the designs.

It's just too bad that those designs were some of the best of the series (Marauder & Warhammer from Macross, Battlemaster from Dougram especially).

Most of the admiration for those designs comes from the fact that it's easier to balance and make them viable in the game when they're the first ones. And Japanese real robot design is superior.

The thing that always bugged me about how battletech used the artwork was that they even though the weapons were supposed to be modular, they looked so tremendously different from mech to mech. The least they could have done was to go through and redesign the weapons arms/clusters to look at least similar.

The thing that always bugged me about how battletech used the artwork was that they even though the weapons were supposed to be modular, they looked so tremendously different from mech to mech. The least they could have done was to go through and redesign the weapons arms/clusters to look at least similar.

The Clan Omnimechs were the only ones that were truly modular, and they do share a lot of similar design and weapon pods (such as the Thor/Loki, Summoner/Hellbringer, Madcat/Timberwolf). That was one of the revolutionary things about the Omnimechs was that they were modular, but that was relatively late in the game world.

Anyhoo, this thread isn't about who ripped off who, what sucks more than what, or Battletech at all. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

...And someone bashes Robotech (and Battletech too now?).

Vostok 7

The Clan Omnimechs were the only ones that were truly modular, and they do share a lot of similar design and weapon pods (such as the Thor/Loki, Summoner/Hellbringer, Madcat/Timberwolf). That was one of the revolutionary things about the Omnimechs was that they were modular, but that was relatively late in the game world.

Anyhoo, this thread isn't about who ripped off who, what sucks more than what, or Battletech at all. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

...And someone bashes Robotech (and Battletech too now?).

Vostok 7

not bashing, just critiquing. Even if the various weapons weren't 100% modular, a weapon type should look similar from mech to mech. Makes no sense that on one mech it looks like a big long barrel and on another mech the same weapon is a snub nosed barrel barely sticking out of the chest.

not bashing, just critiquing. Even if the various weapons weren't 100% modular, a weapon type should look similar from mech to mech. Makes no sense that on one mech it looks like a big long barrel and on another mech the same weapon is a snub nosed barrel barely sticking out of the chest.

Wasn't saying you, you just got caught in the quote crossfire ^_^

Read earlier, there was definitely some strong criticism.

Battletech brought me into Macross, just like Robotech brought some to Macross. I get a little miffed when people blast on Battletech like it was another version of Robotech, when really the only thing FASA used was some designs and that's it.

In fact, I think FASA won it's suit against Playmates because they owned the licensing for Macross... model kits... before Harmony Gold got anything from Tats, but then dropped the designs because they figured it was too much of a hassle to maintain licensed designs (especially when they really only owned the model kits?). But honestly, Harmony Gold shouldn't have had a leg to stand on against FASA had it come to that, the lawsuit with Playmates already proved that. Really only Big West could have really had anything to say, but I think FASA saw their lawsuit against Playmates as an open door for anyone to get critical of what they were doing.

It's just too bad the "re-seens" sucked.

Vostok 7

Wasn't saying you, you just got caught in the quote crossfire ^_^

Read earlier, there was definitely some strong criticism.

Battletech brought me into Macross, just like Robotech brought some to Macross. I get a little miffed when people blast on Battletech like it was another version of Robotech, when really the only thing FASA used was some designs and that's it.

In fact, I think FASA won it's suit against Playmates because they owned the licensing for Macross... model kits... before Harmony Gold got anything from Tats, but then dropped the designs because they figured it was too much of a hassle to maintain licensed designs (especially when they really only owned the model kits?). But honestly, Harmony Gold shouldn't have had a leg to stand on against FASA had it come to that, the lawsuit with Playmates already proved that. Really only Big West could have really had anything to say, but I think FASA saw their lawsuit against Playmates as an open door for anyone to get critical of what they were doing.

It's just too bad the "re-seens" sucked.

Vostok 7

ah, gotcha. :)

In fact, I think FASA won it's suit against Playmates because they owned the licensing for Macross... model kits... before Harmony Gold got anything from Tats, but then dropped the designs because they figured it was too much of a hassle to maintain licensed designs (especially when they really only owned the model kits?).

there were actually several different lawsuits filed and FASA lost on the Macross licensing issue. i posted as much as i knew about it all a while back: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry637450

it's a big mess and i don't believe that there were any true winners. Playmates stopped production of at least one E-frame and FASA dropped all out-of-house artwork. not all of the artwork dropped was a part of the lawsuits. some was properly licensed. they dropped it in order to protect themselves from future lawsuits. the companies involved beat each other sensless with their respective attorneys. it ended with an out of court settlement, the details of which we will never know.

Hey hey guys. Much as I like Battletech, I used to have every single novel and game box until maybe 3 years ago when I sold them, this isn't really 1/60 Destoidy. Feel free though to create a topic on Battletech in the Other section.

Have to agree but it's hard for some of us to talk about Detroids without immediately thinking about Battletech. I just wanted to post what the Weapons are on the Macross versions (cause people where wondering) and then got the crazy idea to post Battletech stats (as a Battletech fanboy as well). ^_^

I guess I should have known this would get out of hand and start the crap about licensing in NA again. We really like to beat a dead horse here don't we? :lol:

So I have finally "panel lined" the Defender with a gundam marker. I also outlined most of the detail. There is so much detail in this thing that gets lost or overlooked. The gundam marker just makes it all pop.

It was welll worth the 2 hours that it took.

med_gallery_4840_310_188400.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_134332.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_199841.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_465719.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_55475.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_368467.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_320551.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_50597.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_492410.jpg

med_gallery_4840_310_239921.jpg

Crap I didn't think the legs bent that much! My legs at the hips got the point where it was really stiff so I didn't bother to try to rotate them anymore (for fear of breakage) don't know if I have the will power to try still considering how stiff they get.

Oh and those Panel lines are awesome! Definitely going to have to look into getting a Gundam Marker!