Official Yamato 1/60 Scale Destroid Thread

Graham

It makes sense that the hangar bays on the SDF Macross would have been pressurized. Hell, it even looked like they were flying into a giant airlock when they entered those. But they would have had to build some big ass space-wasting longer-time-to-launch-taking airlocks into the Daedalus and Prometheus if they wanted to have functional pressurized hangar bays there. Improbable. Alternately, they could pressurize the hangar bay between attacks, but that would mean not constantly cycling fighters through CAP duty, which we know they did. Impossible. So hangar deck scenes most likely depicted the hangars aboard the Macross proper, like the one they used when micronized Exedol was taken aboard the SDF by that recon pod.

In any case, all the directing/last minute repairs/rearmament/salvage of mecha taking place on the flightdeck of the Prometheus or within or near the various airlocks/doors/openings all over the hull where Destroids arranged themselves during battle would have required space-suited ground crews.

But hey, why are the main sensors red on the Yamato 'roids insteada green?

Not sure if you're referring to the red 'mouth' on the Tomahawk or not, but I wish they had made that green and brighter instead.

When its green I see that as the eye visor and the top 2 machine guns as cool horn like things.

When its red I see that as a mouth and the top 2 guns as eyes - very frog like.

Its awesome no matter though . . .

In Entertainment Bible #27, there is a section that shows all of the Destroids in full-color. The way they are presented there, the mono-eye of the Tomahawk is indeed red. This may be the reference material that the folks at Yamato used when designing the Destroids.

• 2 weeks later...
They where made space worthy after the first FTL jump. If they can move and build a whole city inside of the Macross and create ARMS for the ship, they can make the Daedalus and Proemtheus space/pressure worthy. I am sure that the hanger bays where not though, thats a big space with allot of air you would lose everytime you lifted a valk out to launch it.

If you think about it a boats hull is designed to try to be air tight so you would only have to add more pressure doors and locks and modify the existing HVAC system. Sure it would not be as simple as I am saying here but like I said anyone who could move a whole city inside of a ship (WITH BUILDINGS!) wouldn't have hard time converting them. And no I don't think naval ships where eqiuped with anitgav engines, why would you? The only reason I think those ships float in Zero was because of the artifact.

also it's worth it to note that the Daedalus and Prometheus are both described as being semi-submersible. that probably means it's fully water tight but not designed to dive to deep depths. by being water tight like a submarine it's also supposed to be air tight, (at least that's the intention of the writers I think.)

Honestly, Yamato should make and sell some ground crew sets. They don't have even to be Macross specific. They could probably be displayed with their other stuff too, like those hyper armored blocks or whatever they're called.

I can't imagine they would be expensive to make or package (although with the way Yamato packages things...).

Would the 1/72 Hasegawa ground crew set be visually off too much for the 1/60 Yamato line?

I couldn't put them in the same display as the ones that come with my Destroids probably . . .

The crew from the Destroids are already too small to be 1/60.

Vostok 7

What height do they scale up to if they were 1/60?

My guess is they're just cast from 1/72 ground crew models without scaling up. They look tiny next to any of the 1/60 pilots, even the pilots that come with the Destroids. The pilots from Mac0 are gargantuan compared to the ground crew, but they're on the large end of the pilot sizes anyway (the VF-0 pilot is very very nearly the size of a 1/48 VF-1 pilot!). The pilots from the v2 1/60 VF-1s seem to be the closest to true 1/60 and even then they tower over the ground crew figures.

Someone would have to take some 1/72 ground crew and compare to the Destroid ground crew, but I think they'd be surprisingly similar in size.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Someone would have to take some 1/72 ground crew and compare to the Destroid ground crew, but I think they'd be surprisingly similar in size.

Vostok 7

In that case the answer to DarrinG's question about the 1/72 ground crew would be, yes, they can be used with the Yamato destroid ground crew, right?

In that case the answer to DarrinG's question about the 1/72 ground crew would be, yes, they can be used with the Yamato destroid ground crew, right?

I would assume so. Wouldn't hurt to try and see how they look! Not like ground crew sets are very expensive.

Vostok 7

I may get a spartan too, to keep my defender company. Probably the Blue one if they make that color, which they ought to.

The thing with the spartan IIRC is that it shares no common parts with the other destroids so Yamato is probably milking their moulds on the other ones first before retooling for a new mecha design.

• 3 weeks later...
How bout this cool feature?; What if all the missiles are removable and the fins are spring-loaded to pop out when they exit? You'd just depress a button to collapse them when loading . . .

No. More parts to jam, more parts to rust. Just keep it simple will be good enough.

Unlikely? Have the Destroids been selling poorly?

Compared to Valkyries? Three guesses. There's not enough love for Destroids.

I just landed my olive-drab Tomahawk. First non-model-kit Macross item that I've actually purchased new as opposed to scrounging at garage sales etc. It's on my bedroom bookshelf right now - it will eventually get torn down as reference for a 1/35 version but in the meantime, it looks very nice. I like it. I'll get a Phalanx too. Hope they do the blue version.

Unlikely? Have the Destroids been selling poorly?

A Tomahawk, a Defender and a Phalanx shares roughly the same legs, so development costs are reduced; a Spartan would need to be developed separately, and has very few similar parts to the "Big Three", so it's not surprising that it's unlikely to be produced even if the other Destroids are selling like hot cakes.

And if the Spartan's not likely, to say less of a Monster...