What was the first anime that you watched?

taksraven

Just thought this might be fun.

What was the first anime series/program/movie that you ever saw in your life and how old were you when you did see it. It doesn't matter if you knew whether or not it was anime at the time. Just have a think and see what you come up with.

(Sub or dub does not matter either, we are not getting into those arguments)

You can also mention which anime series first had a real impact on you. (It may not be the first one that you saw, of course)

I think that the first anime series I saw would have been Kimba the White Lion, and I was younger than five, during the late 1970's. Soon after that I saw Marine Boy.

The first anime series that had a real impact on me though and I am still a huge fan was Gatchaman (In its Battle of the Planets incarnation)

Anybody else remember their first anime?

Taksraven

Like most kids of the early '80s, my Saturday mornings were defined by anime. The very first of that list would have to be Robotech and Transformers. If you discount them as "anime" then that's immediatly followed by Sabre Rider and the Star Sherrifs. If you discount those, then my first recognizable experience with anime was Project A-ko, Wind Named Amnesia, and Akira. My friends and I picked up those three on the video shelf for a weekend of carbinated insomia :) I was more-or-less 14 at the time.

heh heh i remember Kimba!!! I saw a fair few episodes back then..

AstroBoy (colour) first, Battle of the Planets, Ulysses 31 (remember this one? Ulyss-i-e-e-e-iess lol), Voltron, Robotech then probably Transformers.

All back when they first aired in Australia. I was a wee lad back then. Goes without saying the english dub (i hate calling it Robotech)

made the most impact when i was a kid, and thankfully nothing has changed (being the whole Macross universe).

http://www.chokingonpopcorn.com/popcorn/?p=412 - i loved his gun/sword, and craft, cept i always thought the eye sucked, hated it.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Interesting topic.

In Canada, before cable, we were rather limited in what we could watch. There were only 3 networks (CTV, CBC, SRC French CBC) that we had access to with our puny antennas.

I can't remember in what order I watched them, but the first anime I can remember seeing in English was Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman). In 1978-9, I would have been 4-5 years old.

Also, around this time, I remember watching these series in French:

Albator (Space Pirate Captain Harlock). I was always blown away when that ship would slice, literally, through other ships.

Candy, Candy: What can I say, back in those days, there wasn't that much animation running on Sunday mornings and we took what we could get, even the girly shows.

Le Petit Castor (The Little Beaver): I can't even find any information on this show in English Wikipedia. It was shown only in Canada in French. It was about a group of anthropomorphic animals: beavers, bears, foxes. Again, it ran on Sunday mornings.

Add to that Ulysses 31, Captain Flam (Captain Future). We had a lot of good stuff in French, and most of it was unedited. Of course a few years later, Voltron & Robotech would come on the English channels and change the way I perceived animation. I also liked Thunderbirds 2086 (Science Rescue Team Technovoyager), but I don't think they ever ran the full series in Canada.

Speed Racer, man. I don't actually remember watching it...I was far too young. But my sisters watched it and, according to them, so did I. Later, it was the one-two punch of Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers, and even as a five-year-old, I knew that Star Blazers was WAAAAY more sophisticated.

And I think Megazone 23 was the first one I watched in Japanese with no subs.

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Tetsuwan Atomu, and a few others were among the first anime shows I had ever seen, most were in their edited North American format. My first anime film was Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I was then introduced to Robotech, but unfortunately (and fortunately) none of the early anime shows I watched translated very well into adulthood (with the exception of Nausicaa). I pretty much disconnected almost entirely from anime and it would not be until the mid 1990s when I would at last attain a permanent interest in anime.

Speed Racer!!! Back when I was in second grade, probably about 1976 or 77 - which had a HUGE impact on me, and is a favorite to this day. Then Ultraman within a year or so later (not anime, but still another major portion of my childhood years). (Godzilla and Gamera were also always there.)

Battle of the Planets was another favorite. The melodrama of Gatchaman still shined through the dub. I would have killed for toys back then. (I almost cried when I opened my Uni5 Godphoenix!) That was followed shortly thereafter by Star Blazers.

After reading about the origins of Star Blazers and other dubbed anime in Starlog, I recognized anime - and tokusatsu, to a large extent - were among some of the strongest influences in my childhood development and interests, along with Micronauts, Shogun Warriors and many other of my favorite toy lines. Probably around '82 or so I put enough of it together to recognize myself as what would late become known as an "anime fan".

Heh heh... I've still got all my old C/FO membership stuff & newsletters!

Edited by AcroRay

My first Anime I saw was Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman when I was four years old and it's dear to my "Fanboy" heart ^_^ . Back then I always wanted to be Mark/Gatchaman but looked more like Tiny/Ryu :lol: . The episode I remembered the most involved a Locust infestation.

Hard to say really... when I was a kid, I mainly watched the American cartoon lineup like Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, Spiderman and Friends, Ghostbusters - stuff like that.

I don't consider those to be anime...

So - truth be told - I can't really remember watching anime proper until I was practically in college - and cartoon network came about...

I then remember watching:

Tenchi Muyo

Starblazers

Gundam Wing

Although - I only remember the series VERY VAGUELY.

I am a late comer :)

Pete

Voltron and Robotech.

Subtle details missed: all.

Robot toys wanted: all.

Also watched the american stuff that gets mistaken for anime, like Transformers and Thundercats.

And the first anime I knew WAS anime... was the Sailor Moon dub. Please don't hurt me.

Edited by JB0

the very first anime i saw at age 6 was Chō Jikū Yōsai Makurosu i'm a long time macross fan and collector.

my wife idolized Miria and she still sings the songs for me and friends.

Macross is the very first for me!

oh and a lesser know Super dimesional Century orguss by the same guys who brought us Macross

those 2 anime series were my first.

Edited by koushiro

Glad I'm not the only old fogey here. Astro Boy, Marine Boy, Gigantor, and Speed Racer were all staples of my childhood in the late 60's.

Bah!. Don't look at it as being an 'old fogey', just consider yourself to be a "First Generation Anime Fan". You guys were the leaders in anime fandom in the west and the rest of us young-uns are just the followers.

Taksraven

My first Anime I saw was Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman when I was four years old and it's dear to my "Fanboy" heart ^_^ . Back then I always wanted to be Mark/Gatchaman but looked more like Tiny/Ryu :lol: . The episode I remembered the most involved a Locust infestation.

I remember that one! The one that sticks in my mind most, though, is the one where Keyop (or however you spell his name) gets possessed...that one freaked me out big-time; I'm talkin' watching-the-show-from-behind-the-couch terrified.

By the way...after Robotech finished, the anime bug had bitten me HARD, but the only anime I could find on TV was on one of the Spanish stations: Gladiadores del Espacio (AKA Ginda Reppu Baxinger). I loved that show to pieces...did anyone else see it?

before RT there was in particular order:

Thundersub (Blue noah)

Rittai Anime Ienaki Ko Remi (Remi- alone in the world)

Mori no yoki na kobitotachi Belfy to Lilibit (The Litl' Bits)

Candy Candy

Kojika Monogatari (Story of a fawn)

Mitsubachi Maya No Bôken (Maja the Bee)

Taiyô no ko Esteban (Mysterious cities of gold)

Nils no Fushigi na Tabi (Nils Holgerson)

Kazoku Robinson hyôryûki-fushigina shima no Flone (Swiss Family Robinson)

Oz no Mahôtsukai (Wizzard of Oz)

Tom Sawyer no Boken ( Tom Sawyer)