Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

The more I look at this toy, the more I miss Yamato.

Well - as big of a Frontier fan as I am, and as defensive of these Bandai DXs as I have been (and am) - I will admit to you that looking at some of the pictures has made me think "hmm...glad this DX is late in getting released, and that I could get Hikaru 1J v.2 1/60 from Yamato instead"... because the Yammies are really just that good ...

Again - I am very curious how the DX would look standing next to a Yamato. The pilot looks ugly as all get out - in fact - it looks ...moulding in!... uuugg... I hope the pilot is removable - I don't want a permanent Alto moulded in with shoddy colors...

but - again - I am still hopeful.

Pete

for those that eventually receive these and are still complaining about them, please send them to me. I will take these supposed eyesores off your hands.

Okay, from what I can gather, the flaws that were pointed out by the reviewer are that there is no stand, no super armor available yet and different resistance than the model kit. He likes how weighty it is and how well it locks together. Still trying to figure out what he was referring to with regards to the neck piece, not sure if I read it right, but it seems like the neck piece isn't very secure, which is probably why we see a lot of pics with the VF-25S without the neck exposed.

Looks good to me! The die-cast metal frame is great. The fighter mode looks to be the weakest... which I don't know if that's a good thing.... but looks ok. And there is a neck so Ozma also has a neck for sure.

Pete

Okay, from what I can gather, the flaws that were pointed out by the reviewer are that there is no stand, no super armor available yet and different resistance than the model kit. He likes how weighty it is and how well it locks together. Still trying to figure out what he was referring to with regards to the neck piece, not sure if I read it right, but it seems like the neck piece isn't very secure, which is probably why we see a lot of pics with the VF-25S without the neck exposed.

The guy says not to pull the head too hard thinking that it'll lock in. Because it'll pop off if you keep pulling.

Yeah... that's the problem I'm having too. It's almost as though Bandai have been asleep in a cave for 10 years and suddenly had to built a great Valkyrie. It's a good first try - but one almost wants to insist on bringing out "version 2.0" like...tomorrow :)

Pete

so...confirmed, the DX has no neck... c'mon...more detailed pics

That isn't confirmed, I posted why the neck might not be apparent, and it is because(from what I've read), the neck piece has to be pushed into position but does not lock into place, which may explain why the S/F in battroid mode on the box lack visible necks(front view)

I will be picking up my VF-25S and VF-25F tomorrow. :)

I'm quite lucky in that there's a good toy shop in the area that I live that always has a good selection of Macross toys. Anyway, I went there today at lunch just to see if they had the DX in already.

The shop guy said he would be getting his shipment in by airmail today (26th Dec) at 3pm. Unfortunately, I couldn't hang around until three, so have reserved one of each and will be going back tomorrow to collect them.

The only thing the price is quite steep at HK$950 each (approx. US$122.58). This is beacuse as the guy explained, they are being sent by express airmail.

Will give a report tomorow.

Graham

The only thing the price is quite steep at HK$950 each (approx. US$122.58). This is beacuse as the guy explained, they are being sent by express airmail.

Man I would pay that much! That is cheap considering how much it would cost to bring over here! To get it over here in the US, it would be $30-40 more, taking shipping and the weak dollar/yen ratio into account. That is, unless you pre-ordered at BBTS before they changed the price earlier this week, or pre-ordered at Over-Drive a while back.

I'm in Japan at the moment so managed to pick both the VF-25F and VF-25S today (which also turns out to be my birthday!). It was released first thing this morning and pretty much ALL the shops in Nagoya sold out of them by lunchtime. The transformation is a bit fiddly and whilst the diecast parts are nice, I still feel the 1/60 Yamato toys are better. In the flesh it's a lot less chunky than in the photos we've seen as well. Glad I've pre-ordered my VF-25F super packs for March!

I'm in Japan at the moment so managed to pick both the VF-25F and VF-25S today (which also turns out to be my birthday!). It was released first thing this morning and pretty much ALL the shops in Nagoya sold out of them by lunchtime. The transformation is a bit fiddly and whilst the diecast parts are nice, I still feel the 1/60 Yamato toys are better. In the flesh it's a lot less chunky than in the photos we've seen as well. Glad I've pre-ordered my VF-25F super packs for March!

Happy birthday man! How did the durability turn out? Does it feel like anything on it might break? Any warning signs? Also, can the hands that hold the gun fit into the shield, or do you have to swap them out to transform back into fighter mode? Where does the gun holder go in battroid mode(the one that holds the gun in fighter mode)?

Happy B day. May we have some pictures of the VF-25S neck and it in some good poses? Can the legs sit any higher in fighter mode? How sturdy?

Happy birthday man! How did the durability turn out? Does it feel like anything on it might break? Any warning signs? Also, can the hands that hold the gun fit into the shield, or do you have to swap them out to transform back into fighter mode? Where does the gun holder go in battroid mode(the one that holds the gun in fighter mode)?

Durability wise it feels very sturdy and very much a "toy", so whilst the Yamato 1/60 toys have a better finish they are more display pieces that have to be handled with greater care. A lot of this is down to the usage of diecast in the joints, so it doesn't feel weak in any way. In terms of stuff breaking, not so sure on that yet. I'm very careful generally with toys and the only slight thing I've noticed is that the cowls on the legs that house the smaller fins sometimes don't quite click into place properly.

You have to swap the hands out for the transformation as far as I can see and the gun holder is purely functional for fighter mode, so it's not housed anywhere in battroid.

Thus far, the more I play with it the more I like it. Once you get used to how the transformation works it begins to click I think. I still haven't really found anything glaringly awful with it either but I'll post more later (hopefully with pictures!). As proof that I have them at least here's a happy photo of me...

ollie_30.jpg