Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

Hm. Dag. Hm.

Well - thanks for the pics and the mini-report Graham.

I have to say my enthusiasm for the DX is on life support at the moment.

I am honestly GLAD that instead of the Alto and Ozma DX, I scooped up Yamato's Groxier X and 1/60 v.2 Hikaru 1J with super and strike parts.

For a minute - I had a pang of "oh no!" when suddenly it did indeed come out now (as in "oh no! I should have waited one more day!") - but now that pang is gone after seeing ONE picture.

Which one?

The one where Ozma's VF-25 is in fighter mode right next to the Yamato 1/60 YF-19.

It is an EMBARRASMENT to place the Bandai DX fighter next to the Yamato fighter.

It's like putting a Matchbox VF-1 next to the 1/60 version (1 or 2!).

It just looks so - as one member put it - cheap. Cheap glossy plastic. Also - the pilot is HORRIBLE. Now - you might say "well it's just al ittle pilot figure what's the big deal?" -- well - the big deal is that the pilot is VISIBLE in fighter mode and if the pilot looks like a plastic piece of GOOP that has one minor shade of paint over him - then it just makes the entire piece feel like a little matchbox car with a plastic bulb sticking out as the "driver."

And the fact that this goop pilot is not removable makes it worse.

Look at the cockpits on the Yamato fighters - the pilots look real - they are sculpted and painted with exacting detail.

Look at the price tag on the Bandai DX - it is the same as the price tag on the Yamato VF-1 1/60 v.2

There's just no way that in this modern day and age when a relatively small company can pull of the VF-1 v.2 1/60, that Bandai could not have given us a better DX - especially given how the 1/72 model kit turned out.

The pvc bendy antena are like the ultimate slap in the face. My Bandai SOC Spec EVA-01 doesn't have a bendy unicorn horn... My Dancouga does have bendy mini-side cannons on his chest/elephant head, and Voltes V does have bendys on his feet/little radar vehicle - but those are excusable given the minor role these parts play in the figure overall.

The antena on the DX are very prominent. The entire head aesthetic is ruined by the bendy PVC antena...

The die cast metal supporting the shoulder frame is unpainted and does not compose well with the glossy cheap plastic of the figure. IT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE A TOY and not an accurate representation.

Look at those up close pictures of Ozma's shoulders with the stubs of shinny die cast metal just peeking out screaming "I am 1984 Transformers Megatron! Roar!"

I am equally annoyed sometimes at the "stubs" which hold the ball joint and connect to the Yamato VF-1 shoulders - but guess what? Those can be hidden and you don't see them in any pose if you pose it properly.

Here it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also - I notice that the hands are fixed pose - for fixed pose hands they are pretty flimsy. The gunpod bends down and is not held straight... Again - Yamato also have "flimsy" hands - but at least they are not fixed posed and if you carress them, the Gunpod will stay straight and look cool and proper.

So...

The fighter mode sucks because of the glossy plastic, the stubby lines and above all because of the non-removable reminder that this is a little kid's toy - namely the pilot...

Heck - you can't even open the cockpit! I mean - if you do - then you see this white plastic gloop square instead of legs, and instrument panels. You also see ugly stubs along the cockpit hatch.

This figure is just terrible.

For the asking price - it could have been ten times better.

It is almost as though they had three goals here:

1) make it kid friendly (but then why the collector price?)

2) make it NOW! (maybe the DX was originally sleighted to come out fast, like, when the show was still on, so they rushed the prototype, and when it turned out that even it had kinks to be worked out it got delayed -and so now we're getting...a delayed rush job?

3) Don't let the guys who designed the (transformable!) model have any input into the DX team

4) Give this project to Ed - the new guy we just hired who likes Robotech and can't wait for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen to hit theaters.

Seriously - judging from these pictures - this thing is a disgrace.

I was initially happy that it was in 1/60 scale because at least it could sit next to my Yamato fighters.

Now I don't know what I'll do.

But there are a million other mechas out there - Yamato and Bandai and other - that are SO MUCH BETTER than this.

I'm the biggest Macross Frontier fan in the universe. I love the anime. I think it's absolutely amazing. I love Ranka. I love Alto. I love Ozma and I would love to have a huge Macross Frontier collection.

But this is downright embarrasing Bandai.

Everything looks bad :(

I MIGHT still buy the product - but I will definitely NOT buy extras. I'm buying lots of Yamato VF-1s v.2 because they are that cool. I am also planning on getting more SV-51s, more VF-OSs etc - to have a big fleet. Naturally, this is a long process, but something like "1 SV-51 per year" (meaning actually 3 - because 1 Nora, 1 Ivanov and 1 Alpha) is possible - slowly but surely.

I just can't see myself wanting to do that with these ugly terrible figures :(

I am very sad that they look like this because I was really looking forward to them - but they just suck in all modes. The non-removable stubby pilot (sorry to bring it up a third time) is just sooo bad! I mean - it doesn't look like a pilot - it looks lik an after thought and it RUINS the fighter mode.

Everything and anything that MIGHT be good in the fighter mode goes down the pisser thanks to that icky poo pilot. They could have at least made him removable - then I would just remove it and not worry about it - but it's permanent???

Ok - honest to God - you know what this looks like?

It looks like a freaking POWER RANGER.

Yes. There I said it.

But it does! It looks like they took the Power Ranger design team and put them to work on Macross frontier. And the result is that we have GO GO MACROSS RANGER!

Very very VERY dissapointed.

Pete

In answer to some of the questions that have been asked: -

Unfortunately, there is nowhere on the Valk to store the Gunpod connector and knife when not in use.

The Valk does not come with any articulated hands. instead, it has 4 different pairs of fixed pose hands, these are: 2 x fighter mode hands, 2 x closed fists, 2 x weapon holding hands, 2 x open hands.

The wings do have ratchets, but they are not linked. Also, the wing ratchest only have two positions.

Seems quite durable. The only place I have noticed any stress whiteing of the plastic so far in my limited use is on the rim of the plastic sockets on the inside of the wing root/hip guns. There is a really tny stress mark, where the ball joints goes into the hip gun socket.

Graham

I just went and took another look at the Alto and Ozma 1/72 models.

Bye Bye DX. I'm not getting you guys. I'm not getting the DX Alto, the DX Ozma or the DX Luca and Mihkael.

I am going to bite the bullet and get the models. I am not a good modeler. I've only but 4 Mastergrade Gundams and 4 High Grade Gundams and nothing else.

But I will show my love for Macross Frontier by putting in a big effort to make the model come out nice.

The DX is just icky poo.

Pete

Seriously - judging from these pictures - this thing is a disgrace.

It still has ALL the flaws from the prototype (with the possible exception of the Urkel ankles) and then adds a few more. What the hell? The real deal breaker is that it is out of scale. Just compare the size of the pilots. This thing reeks of incompetence and I will definitely NOT buy any of this series.

Shame on you Bandai.

I can pass with the DX toys now.

The head of 25S is pummelled (reminded me of how Focker died in DYRL; anyone?); and the head guns (they are not antennas; antennas can be bent, but bent cannon barrels?) are not even straight.

Was waiting for FAST-bundled package, but I'll pass altogether. I can wait than wasting my storage space...

Edited by ff95gj

This is my real complain ?!

Oh-my-God.

That is just insanely bad. It's as if they decided to hire a Knock Off factory to make these. Not only does Alto basically sit in the VF-25's ass, but he's totally ....err...vulnerable.

I guess the Powers Above were looking out for me when I decided on Groxier X and Hikaru VF-1J instead of waiting one more day for these...icky poos :(

So disappointed... that picture just takes the cake though... that's just aweful. I mean - when I look at some of Bandai's other works, it's just like...what?

Why did they spend so much money sponsoring the anime and paying for the license just to make...this?

Then again - maybe the target audience is really little kids?

I dunno.

I'm clueless.

Here's hoping that the VF-25 will find its' way into the Soul of Chogokin line or something - that is - a new mold, a better mold...

Pete

First of all, thank you Graham and everyone else for the photos. A lot of us have been waiting for these for a while now.

Now comes the bit where I take this all a bit too seriously (apologies in advance)...

The die cast metal supporting the shoulder frame is unpainted and does not compose well with the glossy cheap plastic of the figure. IT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE A TOY and not an accurate representation.

...Isn’t this a TOY thread? Sorry VFTF1, it's your opinion, you are entitled to it, this is a forum for expressing these opinions and I completely agree with your right to voice it (except for maybe that power ranger remark. I call that a low blow, sir!), but this is a product by Bandai. A maker of toys. I totally agree that the 25 is not perfect, but when you consider that the VF-1's that they did were essentially Takatoku molds, I guess technically the MF valks are only Bandai's second attempt at completely manufacturing valk toys (not counting banpresto, obviously, I have nothing good to say about that whole fiasco). This does not excuse their cutting of corners and taking certain liberties with the design. Yamato would totally do a more line-accurate job of it, but you know what..? Ain't never gonna happen. No way, no how. I'd bet Bandai hold onto that licence until long after we're dead. If an agreement can be worked out between the two companies I will eat my hat, but not until we see a Nightmare or Excalibur from Yammie. As far as transforming MF Valkyries go, it's the kit (brittle), the 100s (no 'perfect' transformation), or the DX.

Okay, let's take a deep breath and try to look on the bright side...

Ginrai is right that the hot water/cold water technique does usually work, so the head-lazers are not quite as big a deal for me.

A couple of Graham's pictures show that the 25S DOES indeed have a neck! It's not as well proportioned as some of the initial prototype shots had led some of us to believe, but it is capable of peeping over it's carapace. I can live with that.

The landing gear IS kinda stubby and rudimentary, but compared to Bandai's VF-17's sorry attempt it is inarguably a step up, as is the inclusion of pilots, stubby and lacklustre as they may be.

It does have loads of tampo printed details, and if you don't like the gloss finish, I recommend a quick mask and sprits of testors dullcote spray kept at room temperature (I know that some may say to this 'why should I have to do work on a toy I just paid $100+ for?’ to which I reply 'Why should I pay $100+ that could potentially snap at the [insert joint of choice here] after a couple of transformations?'). :rolleyes:

We are witnessing Bandai's baby-steps into high-end Macross merchandise.

The price-tag and Japanese website exclusive accessories just suck. No silver linings there. But still, when has being a fan of macross been easy? Whether you are in the Bandai or Yamato camp over this whole thing, I think we can all agree that we all have to go to some expense and effort to fuel our hobby and appreciation of the Macross franchises. We have to hunt and search and save and persevere for the items that we feel will add to our collections. It unfortunately comes with the territory.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. I take the position that it is not as bad as many of us had feared it would turn out to be. It could have been better, but we can still hope for upgraded re-releases (packaged with full armor maybe? HINT HINT, Bandai!) In the meantime I still stand by my preorders, and may even get around to doing some custom head lazers and neck extensions after I finish my next project in the new year.

Hang on... slightly squashed proportions? diecast components? Tampo printed details? Ideas for customizations?

It's official...

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Chunky Monkey of the 21st Century... The VF-25 DX! :p

I would say that there's merit to the "looks like a toy" comment, if one considers Yamato's toys to be "collectors items". There's a stark difference in accuracy, detail, and molding between what we've seen from Yamato, and the BanDai DX pieces. Add to that the likelihood of us seeing a Yamato version is about as likely as us ever seeing Macross 7 toys from Yamato and the disappointment seems reasonable.

Also, I don't believe the idea that "this is BanDai's first attempt since the HCM so we should cut them some slack" is valid. BanDai isn't three guys working out of a garage, or even a small independent company with only a few releases under their belt. This is BanDai. They're big boys and don't need fans peddling excuses on web forums. The only reason the toy doesn't look every bit as good as what Yamato puts out is because BanDai wasn't aiming for that.

The comment that BanDai is aiming this at a younger audience is more than likely right on the money. Being the only game in town for a 1/60 VF-25 toy, BanDai seems to have made this on a budget where they can sell it a bit cheaper, and have (hopefully) made it a bit sturdier, so that it will appeal to a broader market. "The 1/55th of the 21st century" is pretty apt.

Rather than comparing it to Yamato's toys, I would probably compare the DX VF-25 to Takara's Masterpiece seekers. It seems to be about the same size and price point.

Thanks a bunch for the review Graham!! The DX is a definite pass now. :( Absolutely disappointing in every aspect.

I ordered Alto's VF, but it will not be placed anywhere near the 1/60 Yamato Valks.

Won't be pursuing the 1/60 Frontier line anymore, and will instead invest in the model kits and perhaps the 1/100 line. Both are cheaper and look much better. :)

But actually that pic of the model turns me off to it as well.

I am used to Yamato trying to figure out how to protect the pilot while he's in battroid mode. And I am used to the design of Macross Valkyries taking this into consideration.

I seriously doubt Shoji Kawamori designed the VF-25 with THAT in mind.

I mean - that's just hideous. Look at the YF-19 - look how smart in shields the pilot's cockpit. I thought the VF-25 would at least be able to shield it similar to how SV-51 does.

But here it basically just gets put on the butt of the battroid and has the wing/backpack thrown over it...

it's all wrong :(

I'm starting to think Bandai developed these to coincide with the Origins of Valkyrie line.

Buy an Origins figure and put it next to this and they'll match.

Pete

wow..Bandai really dropped the ball on this...that thing seriously is bad in every aspect

the thing is fat, ugly and made with cheap material and engineering, and the final slap to the face to all the loyal macross fans that would still get this ugly crap is to think it's in scale with their other toys, but the thing is not even in the proper scale, and even worst of all, it's a 1/60 partsformer...swap the hands?? no functional cockpit?? WTF? if that was the plan, they should've included an extra neck and head to swap, cause that thing they have is not a neck

Bandai can keep their shitty gundams...guess we'll never have proper 1/60 VF-25

Edited by Valkyrie addict

If Bandai IS aiming the DX at a younger market, then I guess kids in Japan have more disposable income than I did when I was growing up (although to be frank I honestly have no idea what your adverage youthful macross fan gets as allowance in Japan, especially during times of global economic turmoil).

Maybe I am cutting Bandai a bit too much slack (although 'peddling excuses' seems a bit of a stretch to me, I just tried to keep my expectations low so it would be easier for me to be pleasantly suprised by things like more than 10 points of articulation, or maybe I'm just trying to justify to myself why I'm spending so much on them :lol: ), It's just that in terms of Bandai, the bar was not set very high in the first place. I would still really like to see a VF-171 EX if they could manage to pull it off without the gut in fighter mode this time. A man can dream, can't he? ^_^

Bandai shows Macross little love unfortunately. Only four M7 valks (2 technically), and the 1/55 re-releases don't include the more exotic variations or any dramatic improvements over the ones released only a few years before. Sturdiness is something they have brought to the table, and I value that in a toy (especially in that price margin). It all breaks down to what you want out of a 25;

More line accuracy for a display item piece - the 1/72 kit

Toughness and perfect transformation (more or less) - the DX

Something that occupies less shelf space with slightly better accuracy of form than the DX and a compromise in the transformation - the 100's

These will probably be our only options. They are designed primarily for the Japanese market, and this is apparently what they want. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Although, did somebody say that Toynami had the US distribution rights to MF or something? Imagine if they rode to the rescue with a better 25 design... :mellow:

Woah, didn't expect the cockpit to be exposed on the toy. The model kit does it better, even if it's not completely hidden. So it's 1/65 scale and touted as 1/60, not surprise there. :p As for the people putting up excuses for why it's so crappy because it's a toy. Look at the lines that Bandai puts out good quality stuff for, and compare to their anime representations.

Compare Saint Seiya designs to their Bandai toy counterparts (the Saint Cloth Myth Line, not the old chunky monkey line). Even if you may not like Saint Seiya, you can't really deny that Bandai's representations of the characters and their armor are spot on.

Macross just isn't worth it to them. It's not Gundam, it's not Saint Seiya. So it gets cheaper treatment. And they know desperate fans will buy whatever they crap out. They just have to make the toys halfway decent and a lot of fans will eat it up in desperation and tell themselves that it's the coolest thing EVAR.

If Bandai IS aiming the DX at a younger market, then I guess kids in Japan have more disposable income than I did when I was growing up (although to be frank I honestly have no idea what your adverage youthful macross fan gets as allowance in Japan, especially during times of global economic turmoil).

Toys like this tend to cost more in Japan from what I've seen. Look at the Masterpiece Transformers releases. Japanese releases are comparable in price to this, where the American release will see them hitting the shelves at about 40 bucks less. Also, the DX VF-25 is cheaper than the 1/60 VF-1 version 2, if only by a little, despite being larger and having both die-cast parts and a more complex transformation (I would assume).

Maybe I am cutting Bandai a bit too much slack (although 'peddling excuses' seems a bit of a stretch to me

Sorry about that, I wasn't directing that comment at you, specifically. I've seen a lot of people making similar comments, to varying degrees.

K yeah, if I get any of these, it'll be Alto's otherwise, I believe I'll pass on this line unless they make improvements. That's just so sad that Bandai went this direction with a really good Valkyrie.

I'll stick to the model kits, I'm sure that's what Bandai really wants us to do.

Sorry about that, I wasn't directing that comment at you, specifically.

Thats alright dude, like I say, I just want to try and put a posative spin on just about the only VF-25 we'll get in 1/60(ish) scale. You just have look past the stumpy neck, the shiny finish, the pilot (or stumpy as I shall call him), the chunkiness, the 2-point ratchet on the wings, the shield with no knife holder, the removable hands... and the short landing gear... and the bendy lazers... :(

...How much am I paying for these again..?

Wow. I am gone from the boards for like almost two days and get pages of this! I think these actually turned out quite nice. I am tempted to get Alto now but I think I will stick with Luca and/or Michael. Finally now that I see what they look like in fighter mode. I will probably pose Luca in fighter mode and Michael in battroid and put macro Klan in between them! wooo hooo! Now I just have to save up!

First of all, thank you Graham and everyone else for the photos. A lot of us have been waiting for these for a while now.

Now comes the bit where I take this all a bit too seriously (apologies in advance)...

...Isn’t this a TOY thread? Sorry VFTF1, it's your opinion, you are entitled to it, this is a forum for expressing these opinions and I completely agree with your right to voice it (except for maybe that power ranger remark. I call that a low blow, sir!), but this is a product by Bandai. A maker of toys. I totally agree that the 25 is not perfect, but when you consider that the VF-1's that they did were essentially Takatoku molds, I guess technically the MF valks are only Bandai's second attempt at completely manufacturing valk toys (not counting banpresto, obviously, I have nothing good to say about that whole fiasco). This does not excuse their cutting of corners and taking certain liberties with the design. Yamato would totally do a more line-accurate job of it, but you know what..? Ain't never gonna happen. No way, no how. I'd bet Bandai hold onto that licence until long after we're dead. If an agreement can be worked out between the two companies I will eat my hat, but not until we see a Nightmare or Excalibur from Yammie. As far as transforming MF Valkyries go, it's the kit (brittle), the 100s (no 'perfect' transformation), or the DX.

Okay, let's take a deep breath and try to look on the bright side...

Ginrai is right that the hot water/cold water technique does usually work, so the head-lazers are not quite as big a deal for me.

A couple of Graham's pictures show that the 25S DOES indeed have a neck! It's not as well proportioned as some of the initial prototype shots had led some of us to believe, but it is capable of peeping over it's carapace. I can live with that.

The landing gear IS kinda stubby and rudimentary, but compared to Bandai's VF-17's sorry attempt it is inarguably a step up, as is the inclusion of pilots, stubby and lacklustre as they may be.

It does have loads of tampo printed details, and if you don't like the gloss finish, I recommend a quick mask and sprits of testors dullcote spray kept at room temperature (I know that some may say to this 'why should I have to do work on a toy I just paid $100+ for?’ to which I reply 'Why should I pay $100+ that could potentially snap at the [insert joint of choice here] after a couple of transformations?'). :rolleyes:

We are witnessing Bandai's baby-steps into high-end Macross merchandise.

The price-tag and Japanese website exclusive accessories just suck. No silver linings there. But still, when has being a fan of macross been easy? Whether you are in the Bandai or Yamato camp over this whole thing, I think we can all agree that we all have to go to some expense and effort to fuel our hobby and appreciation of the Macross franchises. We have to hunt and search and save and persevere for the items that we feel will add to our collections. It unfortunately comes with the territory.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. I take the position that it is not as bad as many of us had feared it would turn out to be. It could have been better, but we can still hope for upgraded re-releases (packaged with full armor maybe? HINT HINT, Bandai!) In the meantime I still stand by my preorders, and may even get around to doing some custom head lazers and neck extensions after I finish my next project in the new year.

Hang on... slightly squashed proportions? diecast components? Tampo printed details? Ideas for customizations?

It's official...

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Chunky Monkey of the 21st Century... The VF-25 DX! :p

good points

I hope they improve Micheal's VF-25 G

Only points that really bother me is swapping hands and therefore cannot have the marker perfect transformation.

Altos White plastic if it is cheap TURN OFF as this will eventually go banana yuck yellow

The neck on Ozuma OMG that looks horrible.

The Head Gunbarrels dont bother me as much

lack of Fast Packs

I dont really care if its slightly of scale

the little white blob of a pilot does bother me

I think people are being a little too spoiled and too sensitive.

This cannot be geared as a childrens toy way to pricey unless japanese kids had huge bank accounts

It is very sleek looking and a cool collectors piece. Again I will say this if you never saw MF and didnt know about it and it came under Yamatos Brand I KNOW all of you would be gaga over it. So anyway The model kits are way to brittle I know I have 5 PG gundams and they are very sturdy including the ZETA. I have the Zeta MG V2.0 and its still brittle with only 3-4 more transformations before it explodes so trust me the kit IS not the way to go! IF there was a PG Vf25 Then yeah go for it! Best wait for the 100s and Maybe the G and Lucas will have some improvements

If your unhappy about some of the shoddy work email Kawamori Im sure he would love to hear from us about how unhappy we are and might refuse to work with Bandai in the Future until they get their act together. The Japanese have a very strong sense of Pride about the things they do and thats were we can take advantage.!

Thanks for the pics and mini review Graham. Definately passing on the vf-25S, and seriously considering on passing on the DX line altogether. I cancelled a few other preorders for these craptastic releases and will probably go back and purchase them ( Defender, Max Q RAU).

I hate being right about what I thought about these toys all along. Lazy designs, Way too many shortcuts especially for the price point these toys are selling at.

It is very sleek looking and a cool collectors piece. Again I will say this if you never saw MF and didnt know about it and it came under Yamatos Brand I KNOW all of you would be gaga over it.

Uhh nooo. Have you been/read to any of the Yamato threads? we are just as hard on Yamato products as we are with this. In fact I've read more people in the DX threads making excuses for this because it's bandai than I've ever seen in any Yamato thread.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Definately passing on the vf-25S, and seriously considering on passing on the DX line altogether. I cancelled a few other preorders for these craptastic releases and will probably go back and purchase them ( Defender, Max Q RAU).

I am having the same thoughts.

Obviously, if money wasn't tight, then despite their flaws, I'd get these DXs and be happy that I have Macross Frontier toys.

But...

When I think about all of their crappiness as revealed by the mini-review and the pictures, I begin to wonder...aren't there like...you know...a dozen OTHER things I'd RATHER have for that money that...er...you know...are a lot cooler?

If there were ever a fighter worth getting on clearance at 75% off - this is the one.

That's probably the nicest thing I can think of saying about it...

hopefully other people - or even Graham - will put up more pictures...

But...

when I look at a picture of a Yamato fighter I am really really in awe and blown away. Heck - just go to the "strike a pose thread" - can you imagine people suddenly throwing their VF-25s up in a thread full of Ivanovs and VF-1 v.2s?

And yes - someone here is also right about something else: how can a hand swapping, not capable of storing his gun without a removable tab, not capable of storing his knife thingy be called perfect transformation?

I dunno.

I still have some time to decide - but I have a bad feeling about these and - like I wrote above - they are now on life support - all of them: Mikhael, Luca - the whole lot.

If they had to turn out this crappy then - no offence to Mr. Kawamori - but they could have AT LEAST put Ranka on the box instead of his mug :)

I would buy anything that has Ranka on it - including those little Subaru remote control cars...

Pete

Like at least one other member has stated, this thing is unfortunately what I was expecting, given the fact Bandai chose to make a transforming model of the VF-25. I preordered this thing (and the model kit) expecting to just play with it as a toy. That being stated, I bet there is a few of us that will attempt to tweak some of the shortcomings of this release. ;)

Unfortunately, I do not know how to fix the scale of this thing, but things like landing gear, pilots, glossy finishes, and, my personal favorite, the exposed canopy in battroid mode are likely things that can be dealt with. With the things I've seen the Chunky Monkey Mafia pull off, I see some hope these play-toys can be a little better.

Ugh, people, you're confusing "perfect transformation" with "perfect design." The inability to hold a knife or a gun has NOTHING to do with the transformation process. Don't get me wrong, it's a totally valid complaint, it just doesn't have anything to do with transformation. Saying a Yamato isn't perfect transformation because of the guards for the intakes is also wrong because you could just always leave the guards in. Sure, you'd be concealing something, but you could do it. A 1/55 Chunky is perfect transformation but it doesn't even have a heat shield or intake covers, is that preferable? The hand swapping might be a valid argument against "perfect transformation" but I imagine you could also leave the chop suey hands on if you really wanted (and in the long run it's probably way better they went the hand swapping route instead of trying to incorporate all sort of articulation into something so small). So, this is pretty clearly a perfect transformation toy and pretty clearly NOT a perfectly designed toy.

Japan is on holiday emperor's bday and new years and something...or perhaps he as other orders that HLJ doesn't have in stock right now and they will ship his order complete in midjanuary

a lot of people have gone and said some outrageous excuses for Bandai, my favourite was how Bandai did the vf-25 cause of an sketch of Kawamori and how the VF-25 was supposed to be...riiight... well, now we all know the truth, that they didn't really care about this and all they wanted was to put a vf-25 toy in the market