Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

Finished my VF-25S in two days. The only thing I painted were the canopy and cockpit. I'm an utter noob when it comes to painting and model making...

Used stickers, rather than water-slide decals. Prefer them, since they don't have an extra millimeter or two of excess transparent foil around them. Plus the stickers are quite durable.

Overall this kit seems to be a bit better than the Alto kit, since there are no massive gaps in fighter mode. This one actually fits and holds together quite well.

(ignore the messy desk...)

vf25S.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

Finished my VF-25S in two days. The only thing I painted were the canopy and cockpit. I'm an utter noob when it comes to painting and model making...

Used stickers, rather than water-slide decals. Prefer them, since they don't have an extra millimeter or two of excess transparent foil around them. Plus the stickers are quite durable.

Overall this kit seems to be a bit better than the Alto kit, since there are no massive gaps in fighter mode. This one actually fits and holds together quite well.

vf25S.jpg

NICE! I'm still waiting for my -25S kit and I hope I can do as well as you! The -25S looks fine without the panel lines actually, now that I've seen your photos. Did you build the -25F alto kit? I'm wondering what the difference is between the intake/hip mounted guns-- they seem to fit much better now!

MG 01 ^_^

Man the VF-25 looks good in fighter mode! The VF-25 looks so sleek in fighter mode I think even the 1/72 model doesn't really do it justice, with all the transformation parts leaving gaps that kind of spoil the look. I would buy a fighter only VF-25 *hint* :p

Edited by edwin3060

Man the VF-25 looks good in fighter mode! The VF-25 looks so sleek in fighter mode I think even the 1/72 model doesn't really do it justice, with all the transformation parts leaving gaps that kind of spoil the look. I would buy a fighter only VF-25 *hint* :p

As much as i'd love that to be an upcoming 72nd fighter only VF-25 its just the regular bandai 25S with lots of mods and filler to make it look like that. It shows you that in one of the pictures posted.

As much as i'd love that to be an upcoming 72nd fighter only VF-25 its just the regular bandai 25S with lots of mods and filler to make it look like that. It shows you that in one of the pictures posted.

Yea I just saw... the amount of work involved looks to be just O_O. Oh well one can dream :p. If only Bandai would license the rights to Hasegawa (I know I know fat chance!)

I'm impressed that an "utter noob" can paint the pilot and canopy so well....can i go die now? :lol:

Aside from the lighter grey you added it would seem you dont fully paint your kits?

You are right! I don't like to fully paint the kit for two reasons

1. The panel line on this kit is way to shallow so I'm afriad it will disappear if I paint the whole thing.

2. I am too lazy LOL (probably the biggest reason)

Howdy!!

I begin to do some work on VF-25S.

http://gunplafederation.blogspot.com/2008/...art-1-of-3.html

I will work some more over the weekends so look for part 2 sometime next wek.

Zebu

Looks good Zebu. I like your technique for getting the purple canopy. I've been quite vexxed by this.

Chris

I just got my VF-25S but I am not building it until I go home after the end of my semester (which is later next week so I don't have to wait too long).

I was planning to get this gundam marker from HLJ for panel lining as it was recommended: http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM02 , but as you can see it is now on back order, but this: http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM21 looks very close to it and I might get this instead. What I want to ask if anyone knows, is whether or not there is a difference between the two and if so which would be better for the Ozma kit?

I plan to panel line and use stickers, as have no experience with decals and I don't want to mess anything up on this kit. I want to panel line the parts before building but is it better to panel line on the sprue or off? I don't want to mix up the parts and not know which is which when building. Also I know the stickers should be done after building but I am curious as to what people have done about the horns on the skull leader insignia since they go over hinges.

I just got my VF-25S but I am not building it until I go home after the end of my semester (which is later next week so I don't have to wait too long).

I was planning to get this gundam marker from HLJ for panel lining as it was recommended: http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM02 , but as you can see it is now on back order, but this: http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM21 looks very close to it and I might get this instead. What I want to ask if anyone knows, is whether or not there is a difference between the two and if so which would be better for the Ozma kit?

Both are available at GundamStoreandMore.com. Cheaper than ordering it from HLJ.

Yes, there is a difference between the 2. GM02 has the hard "chip" type tip and the paint is lacquer based. GM21 has a soft felt type tip and the paint is acrylic based. Which one is better? Dunno. Though I guess it would depend on what type of final clear coat you intend to use.

Edited by Vifam7

Both are available at GundamStoreandMore.com. Cheaper than ordering it from HLJ.

Yes, there is a difference between the 2. GM02 has the hard "chip" type tip and the paint is lacquer based. GM21 has a soft felt type tip and the paint is acrylic based. Which one is better? Dunno. Though I guess it would depend on what type of final clear coat you intend to use.

I'm no hardcore model builder, I don't know anything about this clear coating stuff. I just want to build it, and I want it too look good so I am panel lining and stickering it. However thanks for pointing out the other store.

I'm no hardcore model builder, I don't know anything about this clear coating stuff. I just want to build it, and I want it too look good so I am panel lining and stickering it. However thanks for pointing out the other store.

lets see, the GM02, being lacquer, is less likely to be messed up by handling once it dries (if you don't clear coat it this would be a concern). but, being a lacquer mean it will be harder to fix if you make a mistake (lacquer dries quick and once it dries it's hard to safely remove it), but because of the fine, hard tip it's easier to avoid going outside the lines.

the GM21, being acrylic, is easier to clean up if you make a mistake. and because of the soft tip you will get a lot of excess paint, but it's no big deal since you just need to dampen a tissue and wipe away the excess. obviously though acrylic will be much easier to mess up if you handle it. which is why most people go over it with an acrylic clear coat.

if you don't want to clear coat, I'd say get the GM02 and take your time.

I don't even know how to clear coat... but as my luck would have it, gundamstoreandmore.com also list GM02 as sold out... so I don't know anymore. I've seen pictures with just stickers and no panel lining and it looks ok... but I was really into the idea of panel lining this one.

I don't even know how to clear coat... but as my luck would have it, gundamstoreandmore.com also list GM02 as sold out... so I don't know anymore. I've seen pictures with just stickers and no panel lining and it looks ok... but I was really into the idea of panel lining this one.

Hey Master Dex,

Go here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-Gundam-Marker-f...A1%7C240%3A1318

Spend less $5 for GM with free shipping and just try it yourself. I promise you it is not that hard. It just take awhile to do.

Good luck!!

Zebu

Yep, Zebu helped me along with some Panel lining tips as well (thanks!). After testing out panel lining on a throwaway aircraft model kit (1/72 EF-2000) though, I have to say that it's pretty tedious, so be forewarned! I'm kind of undecided about Panel lining my VF-25S... its the kind of thing that, once you start, you can't stop, but its so time consuming at the same time!! Maybe one day when I'm really bored :p

Yep, Zebu helped me along with some Panel lining tips as well (thanks!). After testing out panel lining on a throwaway aircraft model kit (1/72 EF-2000) though, I have to say that it's pretty tedious, so be forewarned! I'm kind of undecided about Panel lining my VF-25S... its the kind of thing that, once you start, you can't stop, but its so time consuming at the same time!! Maybe one day when I'm really bored :p

LOL thanks edwin for confirming my claim that all you really need (the most taxing) for panel lining is your (inbelieveable amount of) patients... it is really not that hard. I usually do panel lining when I'm watching college footballs on the weekends LOL

Zebu

Oh I am willing to commit the time to panel lining. I just can't find the marker for it! The ebay page helps but I try to find anything I can from elsewhere than ebay, most because I never set up an account and it is easier that way. I may just try to look at a hobby store around town.

Oh I am willing to commit the time to panel lining. I just can't find the marker for it! The ebay page helps but I try to find anything I can from elsewhere than ebay, most because I never set up an account and it is easier that way. I may just try to look at a hobby store around town.

Why not use an artist oil wash and remove the excess with a Q tip?

Why not use an artist oil wash and remove the excess with a Q tip?

That's the only way to do it in my opinion, any other way comes out looking too stark.

Edited by Grayson72

That's the only way to do it in my opinion, any other way comes out looking too stark.

Its what im going to do. Its also quicker than having to pick out each line seperately and can get into the finer details as well.

Like I said I'm not hardcore or experiences enough to do that. I have built many snap models before, but rarely do I sticker (but I will definitely do so for this) and I have never panel lined. Using a marker sounds easier than this other method beside the fact I have no idea how to do that other method. Compared to most model builders I suppose I am a novice despite having built a lot of snap fit models before.

I'd personally recommend the wash method like others mentioned above me. Even when I first started building Gundam models, I'd use the q-tip and wash method and the finish was leagues better then using a panel lining pen. I must have owned 3-4 different panel lining paint pens and all of them had to "thick" of a look to them. Check out these sites to get an idea of how to do washes or just google it. gamera and fichten

The paint pen method will work (thats all gundam markers are) but it won't give you the best result unless you do some cleaning up (erasers, etc) and the wash method may be faster.

Edited by shenphong