Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

I've only decaled a few bits, but I have this to say:

Decals are better than those in most kits, but not equal to the best kit decals or aftermarket. Many decals are "too small" IMHO, notably on the ventral fins. There are many areas where they will not cover the areas they are clearly intended too. (But I don't think the stickers are any better in that regard).

Just doing a quick build on the VF-25S. Not bothering to do much panel lining this time, just assemblely and sticker. Got the torso, nose and head done, just need to do the limbs and gun.

With the release of the toys imminent, this will probably be the last of the model kits I buy.

As I mentioned previously, the models were just a toy substitute for me until the toys are released.

I have to say I have been extremely impressed with the kits though.

Graham

Oh and I ordered two VF-25S kits and lucky I did, as my wife in a fit of tidying managed to lose half of the unfinished groin piece.......Grrrrrrr!

Not sure whose to blame more, me for leaving the kit on the table, thinking it would be safe, or my wife for tidying where she's not supposed to.

Anyway, I had to dip into my second kit to replace the lost parts.

Not a happy camper.

Graham

This as far as got over the weekend.

post-1103-1227541299_thumb.jpg

It's a really well designed kit! I gotta hand it to Bandai. This the first injection kit I'm putting together since the late 80's...thank God it's a snap fit! Anyhow, my question is: does anyone have a translation of the color chart that comes with the kit? Apologies if this question has already been covered.

Edited by Bucketrider

Oh and I ordered two VF-25S kits and lucky I did, as my wife in a fit of tidying managed to lose half of the unfinished groin piece.......Grrrrrrr!

Not sure whose to blame more, me for leaving the kit on the table, thinking it would be safe, or my wife for tidying where she's not supposed to.

Graham

My friend. Beleive me... you are the only one to blame.

I got my 25S today... I wil have it ready by this friday along with the Alto custom and my custom Tomahawk (1/60). Then will post some pics! So you can make some fun of me.

SPL

Anyway, I had to dip into my second kit to replace the lost parts.

Not a happy camper.

Graham

Yeah my wife doesn't like macross either.

This as far as got over the weekend.

post-1103-1227541299_thumb.jpg

How'd you paint the visor? It's "lighter" than most I've seen. I'm kinda disappointed how mine turned out---the amount of clear green needed to make it non-streaky made it pretty dark, even after I coated the back with chrome. (I really didn't feel like airbrushing a single piece, but maybe I should have with how goopy clear green is)

PS--kudos for painting the chin, most people miss that (even Bandai!)

How'd you paint the visor? It's "lighter" than most I've seen. I'm kinda disappointed how mine turned out---the amount of clear green needed to make it non-streaky made it pretty dark, even after I coated the back with chrome. (I really didn't feel like airbrushing a single piece, but maybe I should have with how goopy clear green is)

PS--kudos for painting the chin, most people miss that (even Bandai!)

I painted the inside face of the visor with the Tamiya Clr. Green, right out of the bottle with a no. 3 detail brush. To get a 'light' effect, I pasted on 1/16" strips of Model Master Ultra Thin Krome Foil (#50637C) over the black plastic part where the visor snaps onto. That way it will reflect light back out and glow. Very fussy detail but it gives a nice effect.

And it was reading some of your posts that I made sure the chin is painted. I would've missed that detail no matter how many times I watch the show. Cheers!

Hmmn. I did pretty close to that--brush-painted Tamiya clear green with a small brush, but I used Tamiya *marker* silver paint (the shiniest silver money can buy--learned that from Wm Cheng) and applied it directly to the back of the green paint. I'll photograph mine later and see how it compares to yours.

I painted the inside face of the visor with the Tamiya Clr. Green, right out of the bottle with a no. 3 detail brush. To get a 'light' effect, I pasted on 1/16" strips of Model Master Ultra Thin Krome Foil (#50637C) over the black plastic part where the visor snaps onto. That way it will reflect light back out and glow. Very fussy detail but it gives a nice effect.

And it was reading some of your posts that I made sure the chin is painted. I would've missed that detail no matter how many times I watch the show. Cheers!

That's a good trick. I did the same on mine now, but I cut off a tiny strip of the foil sticker sheet instead.

Also Dalong has posted his extensive review of Ozuma (or is it Ozma?). I noticed that the bottom of the fighter mode is a bit messy with the gray-white color scheme. I will probably paint the bottom of the wings white as well.

http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/mf02/mf02_p.htm

Edited by SDF-ONE

Howdy,

I got "Ozuma Custom" today (Thanks 'mustang1').

Also, for those of you who didn't know, there is this guy name 'dalong' out of Korea who does model kit review (straight build with panel lines and decal/stickers only, NO Painting) :lol: .

Well, anyways, he updated the review for "Ozuma Custom" yesterday so check it out.

http://dalong.net/review/etc/mf02/mf02_p.htm

Now, after looking at his photo review plus confirming it with the kit I got today. I wanted to note couple of things.

1. There are some discrepancies of color scheme (indicated by the red arrows in the photo, these parts are grey in the kit. They should be white.)

2. Despite my concerns, the color separation for the head is excellent (There are just two very small spot that need to be white)

3. Head include some cool gimmicks (It folds)

4. The clear part in front of the fighter (below, forward) is still covered by light purple sticker. This part (and canopy) will need some clear coatings..

5. Panel line fill and sticker application are must (check out the straight build without any panel lines and stickers applied YUCK!!! :angry: )

I will post the completed model when it is done (Don't know what that will be though)

Thanks B))

Zebu

post-8913-1227651732_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1227651760_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1227651770_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1227651800_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1227651808_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1227651819_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1227651828_thumb.jpg

Check it out! From the DX thread:

http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/037.html

Looks like that is the planned line-up so far. I want all of them and want to know about that stand!! will it come with the Super Alto, be sold separetly or both!!?

Chris

SMS action base stand to be sold separately. When - unknown. Price - unknown.

Above, it says that Super Parts will be sold separately and as a combo pack. When - unknown. Price - unknown.

Edited by Vifam7

Super pack separately? Hmmn. Of course, the big question is--how? Perhaps it'll include a few "replacement" parts? If you just snap-fit it together it may be quite possible to remove parts and use the new ones with armor attachment points, but people who glued and puttied will have problems.

SMS action base stand to be sold separately. When - unknown. Price - unknown.

Above, it says that Super Parts will be sold separately and as a combo pack. When - unknown. Price - unknown.

This is welcome news. Thank God i don't have to buy another kit just to make my Alto armoured. ;)

Looks like model graphix. I'd love to see Bandai do those schemes.

Great to hear about the next line up and the super packs.

Yes it's model graphix I checked the bottom corners of the first pic :lol:

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Do you think that the Armor pack may come with 4 different set of stickers or just one color for each edition?

Anyway that excellent news to hear!

Is that blue custom similar to the draft drawing of SK shown on the other thread?

Edited by ntsan

Any tips about getting the intake beam guns into the proper positions? After a few transformations I cant seem to get my legs/engine nacelles to sit properly, resulting in the problem. I wish Bandai had come up with a way of locking all the wing root pieces into position.

you know Bandai doesn't give a f*ck when they keep wearing Gundam jackets with Macross figures all over the table for a macross article

Its cool that the employees get nice uniforms and sucks that they are not wearing the SMS shirt, tie and jacket.

I'd pay to work at Bandai just just to see them implement an SMS uniform. :wacko:

I finally finished building my 1/72 VF-25 kit. I broke the leg in the upper thigh inner skelleton but used some cement to fuse it back. Still need to sticker it up. Transformation is painful so I will be keeping it in Battroid mode. It is a very nice model and it was a lot of fun but it took a whole lot of time to build. I want the others but dont know if I will ever make the time to build them.

Finished my VF-25S Ozma at the weekend. I didn't bother with panel lining this time, just did a quick build and stickered it up.

Where as the Alto VF-25F definitely needs panel lining to look good, IMO the grey plastic of the VF-25S actually looks fine without any panel lining.

Bandai have obviously made some improvements to the tooling as the wing-roop/hip guns fit much better on this kit.

Unfortunately, while building it, I broke the hook connector on the neck bar that connects to the collar. I couldn't fix it again. Beacuse of this I decided after completing the kit to glue it permanently into fighter mode.

Luckily I found the peices that my wife had lost, so I can now build my second kit, which I will leave transformable (assuming I don't break anything).

As others have already mentioned, the tips of the horns on the big skull sticker, actually sit on top of the wing hinges, which is likely going to damage the sticker during transformation.

Graham

Yeah, i'd like to know this aswell. I looked at the parts but could not find any visible reason as to why the fit is better.

Graham, are the head-lasers on your Ozma becoming loose? Mine don't even stay on anymoe. I tried nail polish but that only made the hole too shallow for the ball-joint to fit. I had to glue them on permanently.

From my Alto kit, it seems that the main problem is that it is hard to get the lower intakes into the proper position, it always hangs low and doesn't fit nicely with the upper intakes/wing root part, so the intake gun piece will sit lower as well. I don't really see any solution other than to cut off the ball joint for the gun and glue the beam gun to the wing root, but that would mean I'd have to commit to fighter mode...