Gundam Plamodel Thread III

I'm glad I didn't get this.

That said - I'm on the fence now about the new MG Astray. To build - or not to build? I like it when it's posed in that flying sword pose - kind of hiding behind its' massive sword as it lunges forward... but... I don' like the girth in the mid-legs. And generally I'm not a big SEED fan... on the other hand, it is a new model and thus far all the stuff Bandai have done in 2009 has not dissapointed me and I've kind of taken to building any of their new kits just because they are new MG kits...

The thing is - somebody here posted a picture of the built product and...well... it looked..bland. Maybe it was just the light? I dunno...

Pete

Well, if the colors are turning you off, there's the MG Red Frame Kai next year:

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/12/mg-...om-dengeki.html

You could have an original Max & Miria display :lol:

But the Red Frame doesn't have that awesome Tactical Arms II, does it? I know it's kind of corny - but I actually like this huge sword - and given that Gundams are primarily made for space combat, such gian swords do not present a mass/weight problem and DO enhance range... plus this particular sword is nicely variable ...I like it...

I'm just whining I guess...

Pete

But the Red Frame doesn't have that awesome Tactical Arms II, does it? I know it's kind of corny - but I actually like this huge sword - and given that Gundams are primarily made for space combat, such gian swords do not present a mass/weight problem and DO enhance range... plus this particular sword is nicely variable ...I like it...

Pete

things still have mass in space and they still have inertia. So wielding that monster would still be problematic, potential more so, in space since now you don't have the ground to stop movement and an uncontrolled swing could send gundam into an uncontrolled spin.

You know, there's a good chance that your guy on ebay, in addition to overcharging you in shipping, probably ripped you off on the stand.

Besides, why don't you simply make your own stand?

shiroikaze:

Damn, that's impressive. How hefty is the model would you say?

Oh im sure of that. But I have bought from him for a long time (FIGURE_HOUSE-EBAY ID) and I have never had a problem. I wrote him an email and he has not responded. I will email him again today and if he doesn't respond his absence suggests he was deceitful and I will respond with a negative feedback and a claim through paypal.

But I am 75% sure that he decided to keep the stand and will sell it for 2ice the price at a later date. As for making a stand. I would not know where to start. I much rather pay the guy that made those awesome Macross Valk stands. I will reach out to him.

As for the MG Astray Build it. Its nice. A red astray is probably best with a PG rather another MG with a bow and arrow and swords is a bit much.

And looky here what I got

As mentioned before Im using the wine bottle to balance the mech so it doesnt do a face plant.

DSC03650.jpg

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03654.jpg

Balanced by the tip of the Ass jet with books

DSC03651.jpg

things still have mass in space and they still have inertia. So wielding that monster would still be problematic, potential more so, in space since now you don't have the ground to stop movement and an uncontrolled swing could send gundam into an uncontrolled spin.

Wow - thanks for the warning. Definitely won't be building it now! Don't wanna find myself in an uncontrolled spin heading straight for the sun or crashing into some planet due to an uncontroled swing :)

That said...Gundam has all those little positioning thrusters and stuff...and judging by the poses on the box, he basically serves as a thrster for the sword and holds it in front of him...

Although in what little I saw of Gundam seed, they were swinging those Force Impulse swords pretty wildly...

I dunno... I would kinda hope that the entire frame of the Astray was built to inter-act with the Tactical Arms II.

Which brings up an interesting point - namely - weapons systems on Gundams can't be interchangeable, can they? If ...say... Exia picked up Tactical Arms II - he'd be screwed - especially in space...

Exia doesn't have any positional thrusters. That solar energy thingy works great for gliding in the atmosphere - but in space... how exactly would he fly?

Pete

Wow - thanks for the warning. Definitely won't be building it now! Don't wanna find myself in an uncontrolled spin heading straight for the sun or crashing into some planet due to an uncontroled swing :)

That said...Gundam has all those little positioning thrusters and stuff...and judging by the poses on the box, he basically serves as a thrster for the sword and holds it in front of him...

Although in what little I saw of Gundam seed, they were swinging those Force Impulse swords pretty wildly...

I dunno... I would kinda hope that the entire frame of the Astray was built to inter-act with the Tactical Arms II.

Which brings up an interesting point - namely - weapons systems on Gundams can't be interchangeable, can they? If ...say... Exia picked up Tactical Arms II - he'd be screwed - especially in space...

Exia doesn't have any positional thrusters. That solar energy thingy works great for gliding in the atmosphere - but in space... how exactly would he fly?

Pete

post-4512-1261509188_thumb.jpg

Pete

Hey, I'm just clarifying your statement that in space there's no mass/weight so having a giant sword wouldn't be a problem.

Oh don't worry - I wasn't being sarcastic or anything :) I do appreciate the clarification. I was just being silly :lol:

That said - doesn't your example technically hold for anything? That is to say - whenever force is applied in space, the lack of traction means that the object to which the force is applied will move at a very fast speed? Thus the thrusters being so important. I seem to recall that in Gundam's battles with the Zaku II in the original MSG - towards the beginning when White Base was still in space heading Earth bound and being chased by the Moussai (?) - Gundam was knocked around quite a bit and at one point sent hurtling out of control, giving Amuro quite a scare...

Crap. Now when I think of how many long nights away me downloading all of MSG again... :o

As for that pic of Exia/missiles/crap...

Is that a real screen grab from Gundam OO? That Exia looks Transformers quality insofar as the artwork is concerned...

Pete

who will probably build the Astray eventally but first needs to deliberate on it a while longer to make it seem like a Very Important Life Decision

Oh don't worry - I wasn't being sarcastic or anything :) I do appreciate the clarification. I was just being silly :lol:

That said - doesn't your example technically hold for anything? That is to say - whenever force is applied in space, the lack of traction means that the object to which the force is applied will move at a very fast speed? Thus the thrusters being so important. I seem to recall that in Gundam's battles with the Zaku II in the original MSG - towards the beginning when White Base was still in space heading Earth bound and being chased by the Moussai (?) - Gundam was knocked around quite a bit and at one point sent hurtling out of control, giving Amuro quite a scare...

Crap. Now when I think of how many long nights away me downloading all of MSG again... :o

As for that pic of Exia/missiles/crap...

Is that a real screen grab from Gundam OO? That Exia looks Transformers quality insofar as the artwork is concerned...

Pete

who will probably build the Astray eventally but first needs to deliberate on it a while longer to make it seem like a Very Important Life Decision

right, that's why gundams used beam sabers, since the only inertia you have to overcome is the hilt. But with those big solid swords, usually you see the gundams accelerating it like a giant impaling weapon rather than swinging it around like a proper sword. Or if they do swing it, it's just giant hacking swings, very little finesse.

right, that's why gundams used beam sabers, since the only inertia you have to overcome is the hilt. But with those big solid swords, usually you see the gundams accelerating it like a giant impaling weapon rather than swinging it around like a proper sword. Or if they do swing it, it's just giant hacking swings, very little finesse.

RRRRRRR me MAtey you swabiess are going to get a taste of mi sword! Muhahahahaah

As impalers sure why not as a last resort BUT GUNS LOTS OF GUNS AND AMMO thank you very much. Sniff thats why it saddens me that Bandai never made the MG Heavy Arms Customs. Gatling guns of hell. No way no exia could survive a barrage of that nature. Plus the Heavy arms was pretty friggin agile

not sure if its a screan cap but I have seen them and they do look like that sometimes

Pete

It does have the huge transforming sword. It just turns into a giant crossbow instead of a gun. A mold milk, but with a bit of new added.

One of the little details I like the most from DYRL? is how they show in the opening deployment the constant use of stabilizers on the valks.

Showing more of that could bring new breath into anime action scenes. Fight scenes are all starting to really look the same to me (zoom-zoom-weapons clash-tension-brake-rinse and repeat Zzzzzzzz).

Good point about fight scenes - and to tell the truth, as much as I am not a huge mecha action fan - I have to say that one of the things I really appreciated about Mobile Suit Gundam was just how intelligent all the fight scenes were (I speak here of the original anime). The first episode with the dead silence of space penetrated by the Zaku's thrust bursts (or was it the breathing of the pilots?) ...was great. And in general, all of the combat sequences really gave you a feeling that these things were real robots - like tanks or jets or boats - they were machines that were operated and governed by physics and stuff....

Now - I do LOVE Gurren Lagann's fight scenes - those are some of the most awesome action sequences ever.

But in general - yeah. Action in anime is like panties in anime - it's kind of all over the place, and you really need to be careful to find the better quality stuff.

But whatever... it all depends on mood realy...

And still - it's better than stupid Transformers where there's not even much of an attempt at making the lasers do anything but make flashy noises...

Pete

Good point about fight scenes - and to tell the truth, as much as I am not a huge mecha action fan - I have to say that one of the things I really appreciated about Mobile Suit Gundam was just how intelligent all the fight scenes were (I speak here of the original anime). The first episode with the dead silence of space penetrated by the Zaku's thrust bursts (or was it the breathing of the pilots?) ...was great. And in general, all of the combat sequences really gave you a feeling that these things were real robots - like tanks or jets or boats - they were machines that were operated and governed by physics and stuff....

Now - I do LOVE Gurren Lagann's fight scenes - those are some of the most awesome action sequences ever.

But in general - yeah. Action in anime is like panties in anime - it's kind of all over the place, and you really need to be careful to find the better quality stuff.

And still - it's better than stupid Transformers where there's not even much of an attempt at making the lasers do anything but make flashy noises...

Pete

me too

thats why i like MS 08th team so much

ITS tactical and i too like vectored flight in space. One thing i didnt like in that show was when they were in the debris field. Small objects in space travel at huge velocities and could compromise space suits.

But you guys are right I never noticed that there were no vectoring jets on Exia. Just that one static drive. At least with double 0 you have the gn drives able to manuver in various positions. I too have been spoiled but the old star wars mentality of atmosheric flight like patterns in space

huh

Pete

I haven't watched Gurren Lagann yet but I've felt that robot anime action scenes have lately been utterly boring. The action scenes in Seed were absolutely awful. Even Macross Zero and Frontier have left me rather unimpressed. When I think of great action scenes, DYRL and the First Gundam movies come to mind. Action scenes where things are moving, the pacing is good, and you can actually follow the action. These days everything seems to be zipping across the screen in a blur or barely moving at all.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and my eyes aren't as good as they used be. :p

I haven't watched Gurren Lagann yet but I've felt that robot anime action scenes have lately been utterly boring.

Watch Gurren Lagann :) The action scenes are certainly NOT tactical, nor are they at all logical - in fact they are anything but. That said, their utter unpredictability makes for very refreshing action-anime. Add to this the fact that the fight scenes are also always intensely dramatic and you have a winning and novel combination.

As for the other stuff...yeah - things move, pacing is good...although...when I watched Char's Counter Attack I felt they went overboard because they tried to do two things at the same time -impress us with the mecha animation, with all the details etc AND also give us good fight scenes. This is not always possible.

As for getting old and eyes not seeing as good ... you know ... way back when I didn't know anything about anime, I thought the fight scenes and animation from the original Transformers movie were the pinnacle of awesome... now, they just look like fairly well rendered stills - but certainly lack fluid motion...

But this whole conversation should probably go into the Gundam Show thread.

In any case -yes - Exia seems to be my only Gundam model who would be useless in space and has no vectoring thrusters.

Unless the anime (which I haven't seen save for 5 episodes worth) contradicts this and shows him flying around. I do remember Virtue flying around in space....and I don't remember any vectoring thrusters on his HG 1/144 model either...

Pete

Still debating about this one.. i've been always picking up the PG's..well except for the Exia and Rouge Strike.. but from the pics shown above.. i might not jump the gun on this one.

Family PG pics:

Nice collection.

I see you have some NON PG 1/60s there. In that respect The 00 is better. Its just not as good as a PG could have been.

As for the weight of the unit. With Raiser attached its feels about the same weight as a PG Zeta or PG Wing

IF you were to get a PG 00 Wait until it goes on clearance WITH the stand otherwise it isnt worth the 300-350 MSRP

The kit/toy really needs the stand to properly showcase it in its spender.

Some upcoming Kits (these MS from Unicorn are awesome especially the Zakus which I hope we see in MG category and back to basics positioning Thrusters)

And the funny looking Astray Frame. Gundam goes beast wars! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-4512-1261584144_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1261584199_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1261585635_thumb.jpg

Hey guys im trying to resolve the issue with the stand for the PG 00

before I lay a claim with PAYPAL

IN the booklet there is a number 054 208 7520

is 054 a country code for japan

When I try dialing from canada i get an error message

Japan is 81. You would need to dial 011 + 81 + 054-208-7520

Hey guys im trying to resolve the issue with the stand for the PG 00

before I lay a claim with PAYPAL

IN the booklet there is a number 054 208 7520

is 054 a country code for japan

When I try dialing from canada i get an error message

According to the all knowing Google, 54 is the country code for Argentina.

Yes, 54 is the code of my country :lol:

:)

omg, are u trying to rip off poor nugundam with whatever he is complaining about?? (jk)

As the year rapidly draws to a close, what are all of y'all predictions on the MG, HGUC, HG, PG, SEED v Astray, <other grade>, etc releases for 2010 - other than the ones already mentioned and in the pipeline?

My prediction for HG:

- Half of the lineup for the 00-movie gundams

HGUC:

- RX-0 Banshee

MG:

- Two more MS from 00

- RGM-96X Jesta: I'm quite surprised that there has been no news on this - the REZEL, Unicorn, and Khatz... (that huge thing), and even the Geara Zulu have been or are on the verge of having a model released, so in the spirit of Ninja-MG choices, I suspect this be next.

PG:

- Nu-Gundam: ... I just have a gut feeling.

What I want:

- RGM-79SPII or RGM-79SC in any shape, form, or capacity :( ... I have been waiting for years now lol.

Edited by Ghost Train

Some upcoming Kits (these MS from Unicorn are awesome especially the Zakus which I hope we see in MG category and back to basics positioning Thrusters)

And the funny looking Astray Frame. Gundam goes beast wars! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that Astray-BuCue a custom or an official product? It looks pretty kick ass.

And i'm not sure if i'm liking the new MG Astrays....they are looking less chunky than they should be.

My predictions for 2010 are:

Mastergrade Unicorn version 2.0 which will adress all of the flaws of the first one, particularly the knees. I kind of don't want this to come true, since I have both the original MG Unicorn and the beautiful Titanium version but I think that with the movie coming up and the splurge of Unicorn related figures in other lines - it just might happen.

Highgrade - beats me. I don't care about Highgrade much. I built three from Gundam OO but compared to the MGs they are just not at all impressive - at all. Not at all. Like not. Not at all. At all. Not....you get it.

What was the rest of the question?

Pete

Bandai has already listed MG Unicorn Gundam OVA Ver. There will be special and standard box variants sold.

Anyway here are my predictions for 2010...

MG:

- V2 Gundam

- Banshee (black Unicorn)

- Gundam 00, and later super pursuit... Trans-Am mode

- more GMs using 2.0 frame

- last quarter of 2010 I expect Stark Jegen and Geara Zulu

- at least one new 2.0 MG, my tip would fall on NT-1 Alex

- and as a surprise release RX-78-7 the one from that 0081 game

PG, pessimistic on this line and the neglect for UC MS will probably continue:

- re-colour Astray, probably Gold Frame instead of blue (just to be different from MG line)

- re-colour Gundam 00 => Trans-Am mode

- Exia Gundam, considering base material is already provided by Gundam 00

Ghost Train I hope your gut feeling for Nu Gundam comes true, because I'd love to see this.

Although I'm not sure I really want to get this nowadays as the MG scale seems to be the better one for me.

Well I figure if humanity has the technology to emulate human speed and movement perfectly without error then there must be some kind of technology for an inertial dampener which could somehow absorb of buffer the inertia of a fast moving object.

Of course the series makes no reference to this type of technology but that seems to be the only logical explanation as to how the gundam can swing and move object's that are so fast and heavy without any rebound effect from their weight.

The fact that gundam 00 also has anti grav engines could make this technology quite possible. If you can somehow manipulate and control gravity than theoretically there must be a way to control of dissipate the effect of weight and inertia of an object, which is very possible. The only problem is just how to do that.