Gundam Plamodel Thread III

I usually have 2 or 3 different kits in various stages of build at any one time. Usually one traditional glue & paint kit and one Gundam kit. Gunplas are my "escape kits" - kits I work on when I want to get away from the complexities of traditional kits. Ofcourse this means it takes me a long time to complete each kit.

It takes me a minimum of 3 months to complete a MG kit. And that's without a full paint job. ^_^

I'm now 98% finished with my Arii 1/100 Valk which required gluing, sanding, and painting. It's taken me half the year to come this far. And this is a relativly simple kit!

I'm still heart broken over my 1/72 Alto who's gone and lost three crucial shoulder pieces and therefore is stuck in building limbo... Oh well... That's teach me to panel line with anything but a technical pencil (I f-ed up the panel lining on the undercarriage with a non-ersable marker and IMO that cursed the whole project...I tried to smudge it -- like to make weathering...but then it looked like...well...f-ed up SMUDGED panel lines :) ) ...

Rubbing alcohol or window cleaner (a la Windex). Should take that marker right off without messing up the plastic.

Perfect Grade Gundam RX-78 GP01/Fb 1/60 PG or

Perfect Grade Gundam red Frame 1/60

Which one is better?

Both are great kits. If you're into looks, the Gp01 is a great display piece with awesome features. The stand really makes the kit, and pics don't do the size of it justice. Articulation is great, well balanced considering the design.

The Red frame is a retool of the Strike PG, the be all end all of Gundam PG kits in terms of looks and articulation. Looks incredible, kick ass sword (swords if you find the initial production version). Not as nice as the Strike though. Compatible with the Aile Strike stand too, which makes for sick mid air posing. If you're relatively new to PG building, this one is better.

Both are great. Go with your gut and pick one, then tell yourself you'll eventually get both.

Both are great kits. If you're into looks, the Gp01 is a great display piece with awesome features. The stand really makes the kit, and pics don't do the size of it justice. Articulation is great, well balanced considering the design.

The Red frame is a retool of the Strike PG, the be all end all of Gundam PG kits in terms of looks and articulation. Looks incredible, kick ass sword (swords if you find the initial production version). Not as nice as the Strike though. Compatible with the Aile Strike stand too, which makes for sick mid air posing. If you're relatively new to PG building, this one is better.

Both are great. Go with your gut and pick one, then tell yourself you'll eventually get both.

ok im going to try to get the gp01 and bid on it. If I dont win i will get the PG Red Frame. Those are the only 2 missing from my PG collection. I figure this may be the last chance i see a PG GP01 anywhere

thanks

Edited by nugundamII

ok im going to try to get the gp01 and bid on it. If I dont win i will get the PG Red Frame. Those are the only 2 missing from my PG collection. I figure this may be the last chance i see a PG GP01 anywhere

thanks

Not true. Bandai spends a lot of money developing these kits, and there are always production runs. They just do it in cycles. 2 years ago, Wing zero was past 200 a pop, now it can be had for about 130. Why? Because Wing Zero was just run before the Red Frame was released (they ran some Extra coating and reg. versions) all you have to do to spot the cycles is watch ebay's HK sellers. When you see a ton of one kit, more than the others, then you know that kit has been reproduced. If you notice, Mk.II's and Gp01's are starting to get thin. That's because those have been out of cycle the longest, meaning they'll be the first ones back in after the Raiser/Red Frame hype has died down. I don't really know how to explain it, but I have it down to a science watching for these, and it's served me well from not overpaying for a kit for 4 years. Strike is getting thin as well, I noticed the average price has jumped from 130ish to 160-170ish USD. Don't feel like you need to buy one because it's older, it will return eventually. Bandai's good like that.

Not true. Bandai spends a lot of money developing these kits, and there are always production runs. They just do it in cycles. 2 years ago, Wing zero was past 200 a pop, now it can be had for about 130. Why? Because Wing Zero was just run before the Red Frame was released (they ran some Extra coating and reg. versions) all you have to do to spot the cycles is watch ebay's HK sellers. When you see a ton of one kit, more than the others, then you know that kit has been reproduced. If you notice, Mk.II's and Gp01's are starting to get thin. That's because those have been out of cycle the longest, meaning they'll be the first ones back in after the Raiser/Red Frame hype has died down. I don't really know how to explain it, but I have it down to a science watching for these, and it's served me well from not overpaying for a kit for 4 years. Strike is getting thin as well, I noticed the average price has jumped from 130ish to 160-170ish USD. Don't feel like you need to buy one because it's older, it will return eventually. Bandai's good like that.

wow man thanks a lot. Thats why i visit the site

Perfect Grade Gundam RX-78 GP01/Fb 1/60 PG or

Perfect Grade Gundam red Frame 1/60

Which one is better?

buy the GP01, it's god-tier levels of awesome. red frame sucks.

also, from the DX quarter thread

And I keep hearing about red frame turd. Could you please expand on the turdiness of the red turd and maaaaaaaybe i may reconsider. Just post in the gunpla forum

here you go ;)

post-4286-1260335180_thumb.jpg

here you go ;)

ok jokes aside. Are you speaking about the general design of the Gundam or The way the PG was designed. Outside the personal distastes for swords and what not is there anything with the design of the PG that is bad?

And woohoo I won the PG GP01

172US Shipping is 88US

is that good ??

Thats a great price however last I checked Amazon doesnt ship to canada??

Amazon.com (US) don't ship certain items outside US. That inculde 'toys', sadly.

(However I have seen sellers do. And if they do, they uaually more expensive and have some high shipping cost)

Amazon.com (US) don't ship certain items outside US. That inculde 'toys', sadly.

(However I have seen sellers do. And if they do, they uaually more expensive and have some high shipping cost)

Or, you do what I did when some MGs were $10 on amazon.com. I put out an offer to borrow somebody's address in the US to have the items initially shipped to, and then have them ship it to me. I sweetened the deal by offering to buy for them whatever MGs (that were $10), for them. End result, for $30 US I got a GP-01, GP-01fb, and Kampher. He got a GP-02 and a GM (I think). The extra $20 covered shipping quite nicely.

Edit: There's one other option at the moment, and that's HLJ. Wait for them to have another sale that gets you free express shipping, get the cheapest thing on the list, and get everything else you want. Yes, you risk customs, but that's life. You do, however, save big bucks as you're not paying shipping.

Edited by VF-19

Or, you do what I did when some MGs were $10 on amazon.com. I put out an offer to borrow somebody's address in the US to have the items initially shipped to, and then have them ship it to me. I sweetened the deal by offering to buy for them whatever MGs (that were $10), for them. End result, for $30 US I got a GP-01, GP-01fb, and Kampher. He got a GP-02 and a GM (I think). The extra $20 covered shipping quite nicely.

Edit: There's one other option at the moment, and that's HLJ. Wait for them to have another sale that gets you free express shipping, get the cheapest thing on the list, and get everything else you want. Yes, you risk customs, but that's life. You do, however, save big bucks as you're not paying shipping.

thats great.

sniff

My 00 is stuck in customs still .... go figure

ho hum who knows maybe they are building it and will submit it as a super weapon

to the government

Probably will experience the same thing for my PG GP01

here you go ;)

I completely disagree with your assessment, as an owner of a Red Frame. What do you mean, what happened to the legs? The legs are fine. The sword, well, rediculous as it may seem, it's the point of the Red Frame, what makes it unique. If you read the manga, you'd understand it serves a very valuable, believable and reasonable purpose other than "penis compensation". The "Lego Arms" are almost identical to the Strike. To badmouth the mechanical design, you're badmouthing the Strike design, which is widely agreed upon to be the best design of the PG line STILL. Granted it loses some articulation due to the armor pieces, but not that much. The only thing flawed on the Red Frame is your assessment of it. It's a damn fine kit.

I completely disagree with your assessment, as an owner of a Red Frame. What do you mean, what happened to the legs? The legs are fine. The sword, well, rediculous as it may seem, it's the point of the Red Frame, what makes it unique. If you read the manga, you'd understand it serves a very valuable, believable and reasonable purpose other than "penis compensation". The "Lego Arms" are almost identical to the Strike. To badmouth the mechanical design, you're badmouthing the Strike design, which is widely agreed upon to be the best design of the PG line STILL. Granted it loses some articulation due to the armor pieces, but not that much. The only thing flawed on the Red Frame is your assessment of it. It's a damn fine kit.

Which is my reason why im getting this kit next. I would have gotten it sooner but something tells me Bandai will release one with the flight pack than im boned. But from dalong review its articulation loss is pretty minimal. And talk about penis compensation???? What about the buster sword for the PG strike. Isnt that a little grandiose or copy of mechanical Gutsu ???? Whatever. Prices are a little high right now following your theory so i will wait. Also affords me time to see if they release the Flight pack and I have told my local store im getting the GFFMC MRX-010 Psycho at the end of DEC and the Yammy Patlabor at mid Jan

Edited by nugundamII

Project custom 1/100 O Gundam kit has begun, pics soon.

Here are the parts I'm gonna use :

1- Body, Legs : MG 1/100 Gundam Wing 0 Endless Waltz ver.

2- Arms, Skirt : MG 1/100 Gundam GP01, since I already have it.

3- GN Drive : HG 1/100 00 Gundam.

4- Head : either GP01 or Gundam Wing 0 with some modification.

Crazy idea !

the legs look they're infected with some sort of flesh eating disease for robots. There is No way on earth you could possibly justify a robot with a massive, ornately decorated samurai sword outside the context of a super robot show or some sort of parody/comedy.

I not particuarly thrilled with the chunky, segmented, complex purely complexity's sake look of the PG strikes arm (I think the design used in the anime is better than the Gundam Evolve version) but they work with the overall angular/boxy design. The Red frame on the other hand is 50% boxy, 50% streamlined, 100% incoherently styled.

The crap mechanical design refers to the fact that it looks like whoever designed the red frame took random part they thought were cool looking from about two dozen other Gundams, smashed them all together, wiped away the blood and called his abortion a finished design. (sorry to tell you this Mr. Akutsu, but cramming as many odd undulations and angles as you can into a design does not make it good)

my point is that the red frame Gundam itself is an ugly abortion of a robot, and it's PG representation ruins the otherwise great Strike kit with it's horrifying fail and ugly.

Just because a model is a perfect, painstakingly detailed representation of a pile of shit doesn't change the fact that it's a pile of shit.

(buy the way, the buster sword on the PG strike is retarded as well, although not quite as bad sinse it's not a giant robot sized samurai sword complete with ornately decorated scabbard. just say no to massively over-sized swords on robots... small knives are fine)

tl;dr: well engineered model of an ugly robot is still ugly.

Just because a model is a perfect, painstakingly detailed representation of a pile of shit doesn't change the fact that it's a pile of shit.

QFT! The most ancient of all engineering principles, GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out

Personally, I love the boxy-utilitarian UC designs the best (my fav are MSV's). The trend SEED onward of, "OMG LOOK AT ME, I G0T 4 M4SS1V3 SW0RD AND I'M ON A B0AT!!! WIIINGS OF LIIIIIIGHT!!!! " I find to be most annoying.

In conclusion, Bandai needs to make kits for the more tactical looking MS, like this:

DSCF2019.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

Here are the parts I'm gonna use :

1- Body, Legs : MG 1/100 Gundam Wing 0 Endless Waltz ver.

2- Arms, Skirt : MG 1/100 Gundam GP01, since I already have it.

3- GN Drive : HG 1/100 00 Gundam.

4- Head : either GP01 or Gundam Wing 0 with some modification.

Crazy idea !

Do whatever you want with the other Gundams, but leave GP01 alone! :lol:

Warning from Bandai regarding the optional clear parts set (sold separately):

* In order to build a Perfect Grade 00 Raiser using all of the clear armor parts, an unbuilt 00 Raiser kit is needed. (In other words, you have to add the parts as you build, and cannot add all of them later once the model has been assembled.)

* If you try to remove the armor parts from an already-built PG 00 Raiser, you will find there are some parts that physically cannot be removed, and some other parts are likely to be broken if you try to forcibly remove them. Therefore some parts absolutely cannot be replaced if starting with an already-built model. Your understanding on this point will be appreciated. Also, there is a risk of breaking the clear parts contained in the original PG 00 Raiser kit, and these clear parts are not included in the clear armor parts set.

* Due to the nature of the material used in the clear armor parts set, once a PG 00 Raiser has been assembled using the clear armor parts, there is risk of damage if you attempt to remove the clear armor parts and replace them. The clear armor parts cannot be removed and replaced after they are put onto the model.

FROM HLJ

So an FYI once its on no going back

I love the Red Frame design (actually, it's my favourite one from SEED) but IMO the PG is just a waste of the incredibly interactive Strike PG inner frame. No moving parts in the legs (just the normal knee part that today even the HG do) and no extra gimmicks (just the sword... but that is just a prop).

Now, I'm sure that in person it looks awesome, heck any Gundam in that size must be impressive. I have a build PG Zeta that I recently bought and it is just magnificent (even with all it's problems and old age)... but the MG blue frame looks like it delivers a lot more.

Every Gundam series has its own design philosophy. The SEED one is a bit boring to me now and the 00 is a nice piece of fresh air (but a bit on the plain side). Personally, while I can find elements that I like in each series, my love goes to the Sentinel designs. Big machines that look like shuttles with heads.

the legs look they're infected with some sort of flesh eating disease for robots. There is No way on earth you could possibly justify a robot with a massive, ornately decorated samurai sword outside the context of a super robot show or some sort of parody/comedy.

I not particuarly thrilled with the chunky, segmented, complex purely complexity's sake look of the PG strikes arm (I think the design used in the anime is better than the Gundam Evolve version) but they work with the overall angular/boxy design. The Red frame on the other hand is 50% boxy, 50% streamlined, 100% incoherently styled.

The crap mechanical design refers to the fact that it looks like whoever designed the red frame took random part they thought were cool looking from about two dozen other Gundams, smashed them all together, wiped away the blood and called his abortion a finished design. (sorry to tell you this Mr. Akutsu, but cramming as many odd undulations and angles as you can into a design does not make it good)

my point is that the red frame Gundam itself is an ugly abortion of a robot, and it's PG representation ruins the otherwise great Strike kit with it's horrifying fail and ugly.

(buy the way, the buster sword on the PG strike is retarded as well, although not quite as bad sinse it's not a giant robot sized samurai sword complete with ornately decorated scabbard. just say no to massively over-sized swords on robots... small knives are fine)

tl;dr: well engineered model of an ugly robot is still ugly.

QFT! The most ancient of all engineering principles, GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out

Personally, I love the boxy-utilitarian UC designs the best (my fav are MSV's). The trend SEED onward of, "OMG LOOK AT ME, I G0T 4 M4SS1V3 SW0RD AND I'M ON A B0AT!!! WIIINGS OF LIIIIIIGHT!!!! " I find to be most annoying.

In conclusion, Bandai needs to make kits for the more tactical looking MS, like this:

DSCF2019.jpg

For some of the design faults I really think the Red Frame is still worth getting. Yeah it has a big sword, But its cool to me anyways. There are so many gundams out there that it satisfies everyone

Wings of Light. As I have explained before Nanomachines ....for Turn A ,, Multiple boosters on the wings for Destiny that give it the wing effect. Hell even the 00 makes that double halo effect. It translates well in the cartoon to a denouement point. Anyhoo... I like the seed frames, Long and slender rather then heavy and cumbersome. Makes sense if you need the armor like the rick dom which is UGLY! but practical Funny how 6 of the 9 PGs are my favorite. But I would rate it differently based on Playability, Posing, Asthetics, Design/Mechanics. Even tho I will have them all I think all of them are great and each carries its character

SO my rating for PGs is as follows Granted I dont have the 00 and GP01 as they are in transit

and I yet to buy the red frame

Strike

Red Frame

Double 0

MK II

Wing

GP01

Zeta

Rx-78

Chars Zaku

We really ought to get some other PGs IE Hi Nugundam, F91, Kampfer,

Noir, Strike E IWSP since it would be using an updated Strike frame, Sword Impluse.

And there are some rather silly gundams out there ie most of the Evil faction machines in Gundam double 0. Heck the only real acceptable ones are Exia, 00 and Dynames/Cherudim

For some of the design faults I really think the Red Frame is still worth getting. Yeah it has a big sword, But its cool to me anyways. There are so many gundams out there that it satisfies everyone

Wings of Light. As I have explained before Nanomachines ....for Turn A ,, Multiple boosters on the wings for Destiny that give it the wing effect. Hell even the 00 makes that double halo effect. It translates well in the cartoon to a denouement point. Anyhoo... I like the seed frames, Long and slender rather then heavy and cumbersome. Makes sense if you need the armor like the rick dom which is UGLY! but practical Funny how 6 of the 9 PGs are my favorite. But I would rate it differently based on Playability, Posing, Asthetics, Design/Mechanics. Even tho I will have them all I think all of them are great and each carries its character

SO my rating for PGs is as follows Granted I dont have the 00 and GP01 as they are in transit

and I yet to buy the red frame

Strike

Red Frame

Double 0

MK II

Wing

GP01

Zeta

Rx-78

Chars Zaku

We really ought to get some other PGs IE Hi Nugundam, F91, Kampfer,

Noir, Strike E IWSP since it would be using an updated Strike frame, Sword Impluse.

And there are some rather silly gundams out there ie most of the Evil faction machines in Gundam double 0. Heck the only real acceptable ones are Exia, 00 and Dynames/Cherudim

Personally as someone who has built them all (except the 00 in my closet, which so far from build ups I've seen I am not impressed, although to complete my collection I'll build it) I rate them like this:

Strike

Red Frame

MK.II

GP01

RX-78

00 Raiser

Zaku

Zeta

Wing Zero

If you add the HY2M line, I'd insert the Dom between the Zaku and Zeta, and the Gouf after the Mk.II.

You can buy an IWSP kit from G-system for around 200 bucks.

They also make a 1/60 Kampfer that sells for around 350-360 US.

As for the sword, in the Manga, it's made so Lowe can fight without using the battery power from his unit, since the Red frame's battery also powers it's rifle, beam sabers, and energy ball attack (an attack projected from it's hands). It's made to look like a samurai sword because Lowe already knows he wants to make a non-powered sword, and goes to a junk colony that's deserted and was once inhabited by artisans and tradesmen. He meets the last living resident, and old swordsmith, who teaches him how to fight with a sword, and then helps him make one scaled to the size of a Gundam. Again, a very practical idea. So don't knock it, because if you were an MS pilot, it would probably be reassuring to have a weapon that didn't suck your mobile suits juice out, and would do much more damage in close combat than slugging it out with fists.

Edited by Excillon

The frame on the 00 is really not PG worthy. The locks are neat but in the legs the upper part of the double knee joint has a nice ratchet joint, I would have been happy to have ratchets in the main joints and just more detail throughout. Detail wise it doesn't compare to even the Mk II kit though posability seem similar so far.

Personally as someone who has built them all (except the 00 in my closet, which so far from build ups I've seen I am not impressed, although to complete my collection I'll build it) I rate them like this:

Strike

Red Frame

MK.II

GP01

RX-78

00 Raiser

Zaku

Zeta

Wing Zero

If you add the HY2M line, I'd insert the Dom between the Zaku and Zeta, and the Gouf after the Mk.II.

You can buy an IWSP kit from G-system for around 200 bucks.

They also make a 1/60 Kampfer that sells for around 350-360 US.

As for the sword, in the Manga, it's made so Lowe can fight without using the battery power from his unit, since the Red frame's battery also powers it's rifle, beam sabers, and energy ball attack (an attack projected from it's hands). It's made to look like a samurai sword because Lowe already knows he wants to make a non-powered sword, and goes to a junk colony that's deserted and was once inhabited by artisans and tradesmen. He meets the last living resident, and old swordsmith, who teaches him how to fight with a sword, and then helps him make one scaled to the size of a Gundam. Again, a very practical idea. So don't knock it, because if you were an MS pilot, it would probably be reassuring to have a weapon that didn't suck your mobile suits juice out, and would do much more damage in close combat than slugging it out with fists.

You mean this

Cause they are resin kits lots of painting which I dont really want to do but it is very nice

post-4512-1260511922_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1260511937_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1260511951_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1260511967_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1260511980_thumb.jpg

post-4512-1260511990_thumb.jpg

Anybody have a link to G-system stuff that is not from the official site? I'd like to see reviews or how the parts look whitout a god of modeling painting them.

PS they look like poo pale and pasty, Sanding, drilling , yeah bascially if your like most of us stick to PG and Bandai/Kotobukiya

Just google G-System and you will see some.

But the effort and work and money spend on the kit is not worth it

Edited by nugundamII

PGZGUNDAM12-11-09.jpg

hey all!! B))

just thought i'd mention

that i've had that PG ZETA for

over a month now, with over

a dozen transformations put into it,

with exactly ZERO leg-stability issues whatsoever,

and all joints are still as tight as new.

so, what's the problem?

how come so many GUNPLA enthusiasts seem to despise this awesome model?

i mean, this is easily the best GUNPLA i've ever built by far...

BTW; i've seen the MG ZETA Ver. II,

and to my eye, it's NO WHERE NEAR as nice as this PG.

the PG looks FAR more realistic to me in it's overall design, for instance.

this PG is built like a total tank, with perfect, locking

supports for everything in both modes.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong,

but i'd be willing to bet that the MG v.2

is no where as solid and stable as this MACK truck of a model kit is.

(the MG v.1 ZETA i built ten years ago most certainly wasn't, that's for sure. Ugh...)

all this, and yet nearly everyone i've discussed this with

has repeatedly recommended the MG V.2 ZETA to me over

this PG. why, exactly?

so far, this PG has done nothing but satisfy me, to be perfectly honest...

different strokes for different folks, i guess. anyway, Peace...

Edited by Shaorin

PGZGUNDAM12-11-09.jpg

hey all!! B))

just thought i'd mention

that i've had that PG ZETA for

over a month now, with over

a dozen transformations put into it,

with exactly ZERO leg-stability issues whatsoever,

and all joints are still as tight as new.

so, what's the problem?

how come so many GUNPLA enthusiasts seem to despise this awesome model?

i mean, this is easily the best GUNPLA i've ever built by far...

BTW; i've seen the MG ZETA Ver. II,

and to my eye, it's NO WHERE NEAR as nice as this PG.

the PG looks FAR more realistic to me in it's overall design, for instance.

this PG is built like a total tank, with perfect, locking

supports for everything in both modes.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong,

but i'd be willing to bet that the MG v.2

is no where as solid and stable as this MACK truck of a model kit is.

(the MG v.1 ZETA i built ten years ago most certainly wasn't, that's for sure. Ugh...)

all this, and yet nearly everyone i've discussed this with

has repeatedly recommended the MG V.2 ZETA to me over

this PG. why, exactly?

so far, this PG has done nothing but satisfy me, to be perfectly honest...

different strokes for different folks, i guess. anyway, Peace...

I agree, the Zeta is awesome. It just suffers from the back heavy syndrome in Robot mode, but that's it, and it's not really THAT bad. That's more the design of the Gundam rather than the kit design. I love wave runner mode, personally. Always good to see some Zeta love.

PS they look like poo pale and pasty, Sanding, drilling , yeah bascially if your like most of us stick to PG and Bandai/Kotobukiya

Just google G-System and you will see some.

But the effort and work and money spend on the kit is not worth it

Says you. Try a conversion kit, ANY conversion kit. G-sys is 2nd to none, period. Even better than Bandai. The frames on G-sys kits are incredible. Expensive? Yes. Work? Yes, but that's the point of model building. Worth it? TOTALLY.

And the sanding, drilling...it's not that bad at all. Hell, some of the newer stuff is damn near immaculate. That's why G-sys is THE best resin kit maker around. Compare the G-sys Zeta or Mk.II to Bandai's, and the winner is clear. Like I said, try something small like the Wing Zero Ka. Conversion kit, or the Hyaku-Shiki conversion, and then say that they're not the best.