Gundam Plamodel Thread III

There's two versions of the kit, the initial production version and the regular version. The initial production version has the stand included along with a coupon, I think it is to order clear armor parts. The regular version, which is a bit less expensive comes without the base or the option to buy the clear armor.

So I am taking the plunge after like 10 years or longer of Gundam model building and finally buying a PG kit, actually I am going to wind up buying like 5 of them. The Rx-78, the Mrk II, the Zeta Gundam (which i have been eyeing for years as it is), the Red Astry cause it looks awesome though i have yet to see that series (or Z gundam for that matter), and of course the 00 Raiser kit. It is going to be a busy holiday season for me when i am not at school

Finished my Gundam Exia ignition mode and i love it to bits. I can't decide to leave him in normal or repair mode cuz they both look good.

Bandai could've gave extra parts to allow for an easy swap of the parts rather than to disassemble the head and shield to change the modes though. I might be crazy to buy a normal Exia so i can have both modes. :p

Sorry for bad photos...my camera is almost a decade old.

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

Nice! And no - you're not crazy. I have the same dilema...or will once I finish building the EXIA... But actually, I have this dilema with all the MGs because I would really like to also just have the inner frame without armor to display and play with... So, perhaps when the economy improves I will be able to always build TWO of the MGs I like: one with armor...the other just the inner frame :)

Pete

Finished my Gundam Exia ignition mode and i love it to bits. I can't decide to leave him in normal or repair mode cuz they both look good.

Bandai could've gave extra parts to allow for an easy swap of the parts rather than to disassemble the head and shield to change the modes though. I might be crazy to buy a normal Exia so i can have both modes. :p

Sorry for bad photos...my camera is almost a decade old.

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

Great Posing....Um needs decals and panel lining

Just got this in today purchased from a board member right here

funny I used to hate the Rx-78 but ever since owing the Ver ka in GFFMC format. This PG is wonderful. I can appreciate the design of the original Hero Gundam. I like it more than my strike how odd is that. I read these were not supposed to be the original colors and even they scream "look im over here!" I think the producers made a good choice in the candy color mech.

Pete your missing out on this since you really like the Rx-78, this is cheap and has very nice detail. I guess (even tho i cant afford it at 800 bucks the 1/35 v.ka GFFMC) will not be something I will be missing.

I am going to detail (paint) the dummy core like in the manual after i finished detailing the recently built MGs and PG 00

enjoy

In tribute of the Dragon~

DSC03549.jpg

DSC03554.jpg

Edited by nugundamII

Just got this in today purchased from a board member right here

funny I used to hate the Rx-78 but ever since owing the Ver ka in GFFMC format. This PG is wonderful. I can appreciate the design of the original Hero Gundam. I like it more than my strike how odd is that. I read these were not supposed to be the original colors and even they scream "look im over here!" I think the producers made a good choice in the candy color mech.

Pete your missing out on this since you really like the Rx-78, this is cheap and has very nice detail. I guess (even tho i cant afford it at 800 bucks the 1/35 v.ka GFFMC) will not be something I will be missing.

I am going to detail (paint) the dummy core like in the manual after i finished detailing the recently built MGs and PG 00

enjoy

In tribute of the Dragon~

DSC03549.jpg

DSC03554.jpg

Ummm...the shoulders are on backwards.

are you painting as your building?

I don't have a set system, but if I were to describe it: I normally build / paint subcomponents (head, torso, etc) as they are assembled. After a test-fit, if I feel I'm ready to paint, then I start airbrushing .So yea, I guess I paint as I build. :) The one thing I never do is paint straight on a runner, after you clip out the piece there will inevitably be missed spots, and touch-ups.

... Some super-skilled people with really good masking skills can literally build the whole thing and paint it right on the spot. I have yet to achieve that skill level.

Edited by Ghost Train

I don't have a set system, but if I were to describe it: I normally build / paint subcomponents (head, torso, etc) as they are assembled. After a test-fit, if I feel I'm ready to paint, then I start airbrushing .So yea, I guess I paint as I build. :) The one thing I never do is paint straight on a runner, after you clip out the piece there will inevitably be missed spots, and touch-ups.

... Some super-skilled people with really good masking skills can literally build the whole thing and paint it right on the spot. I have yet to achieve that skill level.

if the current color injection techniques why do you feel the need to paint it. Is it because flat paint is more acceptable to the eye?

Just wondering out of curiosity

if the current color injection techniques why do you feel the need to paint it. Is it because flat paint is more acceptable to the eye?

Just wondering out of curiosity

Yea, adding a layer of flat makes it much more appealing to the eye.

In the case of the zaku though, I actually primed the gray parts, and also sprayed it with gray. I have yet to add a layer of flat onto this kit though.

Daaaaaamn that sure is a lot of dust! :) mmm...and Coca Cola... I can't stand Pepsi - and yes, I can tell the difference..

Anyways - NGII - yes, I do read your posts and your suggestions and comments are always teaching me something new. As for missing out - don't worry - I am always missing out on something :)

Oh - and one last point about the MG Exia - another complaint:

See.... look at the battle damaged head. That should be the inner frame that is under the plate armor on the head -but sadly - it isn't.

This is dissapointing.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the version 2.0 RX-78-2 and GM and for that matter Zaku and Gouf have well detailed raw heads under neath the head armor. Why doesn't Exia?

Probably because at 1:100, the thing is too small to get it done. :(

Pete

I know its not gunpla but its connected. I really hated the MG Unicorn. Poorly executed, It lacked the ability to pose. It was a floppy mess to transform. I have since then tossed it in the garbage. Goodbye 80 bucks. Should have never been an MG . That said my patience has been rewarded. THE GFFMC looks fantastic. Will wait further for Reviews before i get it

http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/commen..._bandai_webshop

I know its not gunpla but its connected. I really hated the MG Unicorn. Poorly executed, It lacked the ability to pose. It was a floppy mess to transform. I have since then tossed it in the garbage. Goodbye 80 bucks. Should have never been an MG . That said my patience has been rewarded. THE GFFMC looks fantastic. Will wait further for Reviews before i get it

http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/commen..._bandai_webshop

I dunno....i kinda like the MG...the only issue i had with it was the easily breakable V-fin and the stupidly low on articulation on knees (which some cutting of the plastic can solve).

The GFFMC proportions don't look that great, but probably its to cater for its perfect change ...assuming it can change without parts swapping and disassembling parts. Also kinda disappointing that they didn't use clear red/pink for the psycho-frame like the model kit.

I must be the only Unicorn-hater in Gundam fan-dom. To me it looks awful in all modes, though slightly palatable in Unicorn mode, Destroy mode just looks like a bunch of sores just opened up :wacko: . Its over-the-top nature is only outdone by the ridiculousness of Strike-Freedom.

I love teh design of the Unicorn AND I adore my MG Titanium coating even more than my original MG Unicorn.

What's more, I'll be more than happy to add the new HGUC Unicorns to my collection.

And I will also probably grab that metal one just because I love the design that much.

Pete

I'd go for the Super HCM-Pro Unicorn. Parts swapping, yes, but looks really nice.

http://momoja.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-690.html

http://momoja.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-693.html

There's also the mega cheap and non transforming, but still nice, Robot Damashii Unicorn and Destroy.

anyone else have their raiser come today? I just got home and it's here. Will probably start on it during my X-mas vacation. Box is massive, not as much as the GP01 box though.

I'd go for the Super HCM-Pro Unicorn. Parts swapping, yes, but looks really nice.

http://momoja.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-690.html

http://momoja.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-693.html

There's also the mega cheap and non transforming, but still nice, Robot Damashii Unicorn and Destroy.

That poseability is amazing.

And for something so small, its almost perfect change. :ph34r:

That poseability is amazing.

And for something so small, its almost perfect change. :ph34r:

that is very nice in the way it can bend. At 144 it can pull off more cool poses than a MG version. I did see it two weeks ago at the mall and its too small for me 1/100 is as small as it gets for me. Looking at the GFFMC Version I am fearing the worst as it looks like a total copy of the MG. IE a statue

Here are some of my work from this year.

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Need to comment on these:) They look really clean :) No dust - but seriously...no traces of stubs either.... are they painted? The Zaku in particular looks almost TOO clean :) What are those mobile suits below? Is one an MG while the other is HG? And is that Kyrios the HG or NG 1/100?

I hate the Kyrios design aesthetic mind you -but still good job on the build !:)

Pete

I must be the only Unicorn-hater in Gundam fan-dom. To me it looks awful in all modes, though slightly palatable in Unicorn mode, Destroy mode just looks like a bunch of sores just opened up :wacko: . Its over-the-top nature is only outdone by the ridiculousness of Strike-Freedom.

Your not alone, the Unicorn looks terrible in both regular and super red light mode. Oh to VFTF1 those are the Nemo from Zeta Gundam (a master grade) and generic cannon fodder from Gundam F-91 (looks like a high grade but I could be wrong).

Edited by dizman

funny, this "UNICORN GUNDAM" is the first non-ZETA GUNDAM GUNPLA

in a LONG TIME, to have actually impressed itself upon me.

i think i just might bite on the 1/100 MG one of these crazy days...

unicorn_5.jpg

surprising, since when it comes to MECHA, especially GUNDAM,

if it doesn't have a complex, 1980's transformation system (like the Z-GUNDAM)

then i'm usually NOT interested.

and yet, i seem to find something inexplicably attractive in this particular MS...

srwhotnewsun2yb3.jpg

jg-unicorn-gundam.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Need to comment on these:) They look really clean :) No dust - but seriously...no traces of stubs either.... are they painted? The Zaku in particular looks almost TOO clean :)

The only thing painted on the Zaku is the red monoeye. Well that and spraying on clear flat. The clear flat coating does a good job in hiding the scratches caused by sanding.

What are those mobile suits below? Is one an MG while the other is HG? And is that Kyrios the HG or NG 1/100?

The dark green one is MSA-003 Nemo from Zeta Gundam. The light green one is RGM-109 Heavy Gun from Gundam F91. I've always liked the mobile suits from the RGM-79 GM lineage. :)

The Nemo is a MG kit. Only thing painted is the piston cylinders in the ankle. The kit is pretty much perfect out of the box.

The Heavy Gun is an old 1/100 kit. Released when Bandai was just starting to play with system injection molding and snap-fit. Even though it comes pre-colored, a TON of details still needed to be painted in. And even though it's snap-fit, the fit is atrocious. Meaning sanding and glue is necessary. It's a kit that definitely tells you what advancements have been made by Bandai over the years.

I hate the Kyrios design aesthetic mind you -but still good job on the build !:)

Thanks!

I don't like the Kyrios myself. :lol:

But I bought the kit (it's a 1/100 HG) because it was rather cheap and well... it drew my interest because it was soo wacky looking. :D

Well I've got the MG Gundam Unicorn and overall I think Bandai did an OK job

with the two modes and transformation between them.

Like everybody else I'm a bit disappointed about lack of articulation, but more annoying for me

are that several bits and pieces in NT-D mode don't really properly klick and lock-in.

The other thing I noticed, is a slight off balance in proportions between arm length and legs in NT-D mode and the somewhat small-ish head.

So again, I do think Bandai gave us a workable representation of the Gundam Unicorn, but at the same time

I wish for a MG NT-D mode only Unicorn like HGUC to eliminate most of the problems I mentioned above.

I decided to (heavily) weather and beat up my Zaku:

DSCF2015.jpg

DSCF2016.jpg

DSCF2017.jpg

This is my first serious attempt at weathering and showing battle damage. The paint chipping effect is coming along nicely, but the actual weathering (which are supposed to be more like burn marks) needs just a bit more subtlety.

Not to sound like a broken record - but do you have the version 2.0 MG RGM-79 GM? :)

I do - and it's so supremely awesome :)

Pete

No, not yet. It's on my list of Gunpla kits to buy though.

But right now I have such a backlog of unbuilt kits (particularly Macross kits) that I've held back in buying more Gunpla. Almost finished with an old Arii 1/100 VF-1S fighter kit. These glue-together kits require more effort and take so much more time to complete than I think a MG Gunpla.