Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 18  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (No Sheryl! Don't listen to Grace!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (My love of this series ran out long before Frontier ran out of supplies)

-The Saotome house probably knows something we all don't yet. I'm sure old-man Saotome is some super secret researcher or something/someone who knows something.

-The Saotome house probably knows something we all don't yet. I'm sure old-man Saotome is some super secret researcher or something/someone who knows something.

and he will CURE her? pray 4 that!!!! =p

Oh another theory on the cocoon like things....possibly Leon/Grace's original plan is to grow their own Vajra brood with Ranka as queen to expand through the galaxy. Of course this is considered unethical blablabla and Kawamori will start spewing his green peace moral of story. ;)

When Ozma was looking at the picture of Ranka during the end, did anyone think that the man beside Ranshe looks like Ozma(Same skin color and tone) but albeit a different hairstyle?

If so, it would make make sense why Ozma would want to adopt Ranka if they were related back then. Perhaps Ranshe was Ozma's old triangle just like Roy's sempai in Zero.

Assuming that your triangle theory is true and there is a a remote possibility that Ozma and Ranka are indeed blood relatives, are we looking forward to one of these moments:

Ozma: "Ranka, you never knew the truth about your

father

, did you? Ranka, I am your

father

!"

Ranka: "That cannot be, that's impossible! NO!!!!!!!"

Goes on to punish those whom I find disturbing...

Edited by VF-25S Full Armour

Rather than just being one creature, it seems to me like it might be all of those little Ai-kun-type Vajra metamorphosing into the combat types. Perhaps the little ones even combine to form the bigger ones; there certainly seemed to be a lot of eggs previously. (Assuming Galaxy didn't plant them there, though, where did all the eggs come from? I don't remember any egg layers coming close to Frontier. If Galaxy did plant them... perhaps that's why the Vajra initially attacked Frontier?)

back in ep4 (i think) there was a red lobster that hid out (or nested) in one of the islands before it was roused by ranka's singing (thereafter alto, sheryl and ranka were trapped in one of the maintenance tubes).

come to think of it, wasn't it sheryl singing? can't remember now.

edit: sniped! but that's cool

Edited by Major Focker

Wasn't the V-Type infection harmless to humans? I think I read that according to gg subs Sheryl's infection is another type of disease (not the V-Type) that she caught when she was a homeless girl living in the slums and the witchcraft 639 pill kept this disease from progressing any further, but didn't cure her... :blink:

The GG sub has Grace all but telling Sheryl that Grace got her infected. Immediately after discovering Sheryl, Grace took her to a hospital for a "check-up". It appears that was used as a cover to infect her. Michael and Clan Clan also discover a picture of Sheryl's "check-up" (the name isn't provided, but they recognize her) when they conduct their research, and she's explicitly identified as someone with the V-Type virus.

So no, there isn't any other infection. It's confirmed to be the V-Type. And while it's not flat out stated, imo it's heavily implied that Grace infected Sheryl.

come to think of it, wasn't it sheryl singing? can't remember now.

Sheryl sings, but only after Ranka starts. Sheryl basically turns Ranka's song into a duet.

Edited by junior

back in ep4 (i think) there was a red lobster that hid out (or nested) in one of the islands before it was roused by ranka's singing (thereafter alto, sheryl and ranka were trapped in one of the maintenance tubes).

Yes, yes, I remember this clearly (which is why I decided the nest was probably in the same place). The problem I'm grappling with is that the only egg layer we've seen to date looks like the Vajra queen from episode 13/14. While I obviously have no basis for this, I assumed the red combat types are sterile. Maybe that one carried an egg layer in when it penetrated the Frontier.

Or maybe it was there all along... funny how Frontier doesn't even know it was there when it broke out.

Also, what was with that weird eye-thingy from episode 12, the one that seemed to emit the jamming wave? Still haven't figured out what that was supposed to be. Guess it could have been a close-up on some Vajra thing.

snapshot20080808185019ebl0.jpg

cant u guys see the 'face'? the hair is very obvious, and the one i outlined has some lines for where the eyes and nose are....

looks like 2 heads joined at the top to me.... and the whole body is wrapped up

i get the birdman vibe... :unsure:

that is creepy..

when i watched the live, blurry picture and all, my impression was of a heart. (could be birdman's..)

and i don't know if it was just because i was groggy from staying up late, but i thought i saw/heard it start to beat when ranka sang normal aimo in fold space.

I have this crazy idea that Battle 7 will suddenly be taken over by Vajra and go rogue (a la that PS2 Macross game) and Macross Quarter will have to go against it. That would be awesome, esp if Ranka and Sheryl are on opposite sides for whatever reason....song attack versus song attack??

Its that red "visor" hence "evil robot" effect... :) PLUS the fact that Sheryl has the v-type illness and liable to go berzerk as well!

And just to support that theory here's a screencap from the OP scene showing Battle 7, Sheryl with evil red glow, and a strangely organic (hence Vajra) thingie all in the same frame....

Too much to hope for esp. with there being so many mysteries left in the overall plot...but it would be fun!

post-2396-1218304558_thumb.jpg

Edited by nemesis_trooper

+1 Possitive Vote. I am Happy and confused again (the good, pins & Needled confused) ^_^

i seem to recall saying Grace's agenda being very Jihadist, that is very narrow focused. Her utter callous treatment of Sheryl is one thing, but keeping her alive? If she admitted all that to her, has she no fear of investigation by NUNS authority? or does she assume that Sheryl won't say anything out of fear of disclosure of how far from the gutter she's climbed in her career... as a idol singer. Wow. You know what? THAT'S IT. Grace sneers at Sheryl, holding the trump card that Sheryl IS dispossable, her 15 min's ticking away.... at 50% off.

<_<

Yes, yes, I remember this clearly (which is why I decided the nest was probably in the same place). The problem I'm grappling with is that the only egg layer we've seen to date looks like the Vajra queen from episode 13/14. While I obviously have no basis for this, I assumed the red combat types are sterile. Maybe that one carried an egg layer in when it penetrated the Frontier.

Or maybe it was there all along... funny how Frontier doesn't even know it was there when it broke out.

Also, what was with that weird eye-thingy from episode 12, the one that seemed to emit the jamming wave? Still haven't figured out what that was supposed to be. Guess it could have been a close-up on some Vajra thing.

This is my theory:

Maybe it is like with the ants. The queen lay eggs and the workers take them to another place. The difference is that the Varja takes the eggs out of the big nest and make new smaller nest all over the place. We have seen a lot of small nest with red and yellow Varja quarding them in asteroids and shipwrecks. Macross Frontier calls them nests at least and we have seen eggs in those nest to. I also remember the president watching a map of the Varja concentration in the Macross Frontier area in episode 15.

Just a thought on Battle Frontier using the main gun and not transforming. With all the homage to the previous Macross series, and the fold directly after firing, I think its possible that the fold system might once again disappear and cause the need to transform.

I have this crazy idea that Battle 7 will suddenly be taken over by Vajra and go rogue (a la that PS2 Macross game) and Macross Quarter will have to go against it. That would be awesome, esp if Ranka and Sheryl are on opposite sides for whatever reason....song attack versus song attack??

Its that red "visor" hence "evil robot" effect... :) PLUS the fact that Sheryl has the v-type illness and liable to go berzerk as well!

And just to support that theory here's a screencap from the OP scene showing Battle 7, Sheryl with evil red glow, and a strangely organic (hence Vajra) thingie all in the same frame....

Too much to hope for esp. with there being so many mysteries left in the overall plot...but it would be fun!

That's not Battle 7 in the pic your posted. That's the Macross Quarter. :)

-The Saotome house probably knows something we all don't yet.

and he will CURE her? pray 4 that!!!! =p

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

btw how do u guys think abt the new OP? I think it's cool, but the ppl in the Chinese forums are complaining too much, is it really that bad?

Good point! ok slight revision in crazy theory...Macross 1/4 goes alittle nutso haha..

Besides the fact that was Quarter as was pointed out, Battle 7 has nothing to do with this show. The only NMC in Frontier is Battle Frontier itself. I don't see why Battle 7 would randomly show up (Actually I'd love to see Battle 7 show up as reinforcements in the final battle, Battle Frontier and Battle 7 side by side would be legendary, but I doubt it will happen).

I don't know, I could easily see the 7 fleet with Basara popping up in defense of the Vajra. Really, unless the SMS have a major coup & steal Battle Frontier from the NUNS, the poor little Quarter won't have much chance at all against Leon & Grace.

Probably gonna bring the Vajra back, but I have a good feeling at least in the last episode the Vajra will be on our side against the real enemy, which will presumably be Galaxy. I am looking forward to Battle Frontier vs. Battle Galaxy, Super Dimension Fight of the Century!

Brera, Grace and Sheryl are the only recent ones who are from Galaxy. sheryl is clearly the victim here and Brera doesn't even know who he really is.

Come to think of it, Brera is clearly a cyborg who doesn't have his childhood memory, just like Sheryl who doesn't remember her past but what Grace told her to remember. She also seems to have been modified even though she was human.

I don't remember seeing Galaxy people except these three. I also think that something else happenned to Galaxy which may have became a experimentation colony...

This is too easy to accuse Grace, the only one until here who put the evil mask, but Bilrer is suspect too...

snapshot20080808185019ebl0.jpg

cant u guys see the 'face'? the hair is very obvious, and the one i outlined has some lines for where the eyes and nose are....

looks like 2 heads joined at the top to me.... and the whole body is wrapped up

i get the birdman vibe... :unsure:

is it Ranshe?? Dr Mao? :mellow:

:huh: I didn't see this even in this position seems more like a machine for me but I don't get any vibe yet except the weird one ^_^

Assuming that your triangle theory is true and there is a a remote possibility that Ozma and Ranka are indeed blood relatives, are we looking forward to one of these moments:

Ozma: "Ranka, you never knew the truth about your

father

, did you? Ranka, I am your

father

!"

Ranka: "That cannot be, that's impossible! NO!!!!!!!"

Goes on to punish those whom I find disturbing...

I don't think he had to lie about this in the hospital if this was true.

btw how do u guys think abt the new OP? I think it's cool, but the ppl in the Chinese forums are complaining too much, is it really that bad?

It's OK for me. I liked more triangler when I first listened to it.

= VF-27's BFG is still effective against the VAJRA? :huh: I though the Red Lobsters would have adopted to it by now.

= Mikhail's rifle is also ineffective now? :huh:

Brera himself said that the Vajra could eventually evolve to resist his weapons. They probably just haven't figured out how yet.

As to Mikhail's rifle, I would assume that he's firing a variant of the rounds that everyone else is using, or a round that is used in another NUNS weapon that the Vajra have immunized themselves against. The NUNS seems to be exclusively using anti-ECA rounds on them, so if they've figured out how to defeat one, they can apply that knowledge to any other caliber of anti-ECA they face. Or, regardless of what kind of round he's firing, the Vajra simply immunized themselves against it (after all, what does a reaction weapon have in common with an anti-ECA bullet?).

I don't know, I could easily see the 7 fleet with Basara popping up in defense of the Vajra. Really, unless the SMS have a major coup & steal Battle Frontier from the NUNS, the poor little Quarter won't have much chance at all against Leon & Grace.

I really don't think Kawamori will turn the end battle of Frontier into a fanwank for 7 fans especially considering the love/hate nature of the series among Macross fandom as well as the massive amount of new fans watching the show. Also Grace will probably be in Battle Galaxy by in the end fight.. I'm guessing that Battle Frontier will end up being one of the "big" loses in the final battle along with one or two of the following characters in Ozma, Michael, Klan and Luca. Sheryl's singing image is imposed over the Quarter in the OP similar to how Ranka's is imposed over the Monster and we know that the Quarter Captain doesn't mind Sheryl XD

Edited by Westlo

You meant "among Macross World fandom", right?

More than likely considering Macross 7 was gold in Japan.

Like I said on that though I would love to see Battle 7 assisting Frontier but I don't think it will actually happen. I'd also like to see Max in a VF-22 in Frontier but I doubt that as well. It would detract from the characters of this show and would be superfluous in that they needed the stars of the older shows to pull off an ending. These people need to do their own show and I believe they can.

I really don't think Kawamori will turn the end battle of Frontier into a fanwank for 7 fans especially considering the love/hate nature of the series among Macross fandom as well as the massive amount of new fans watching the show. Also Grace will probably be in Battle Galaxy by in the end fight..

You know, you may be onto something... but not a fanwank for 7 fans, perhaps something more akin to Macross Plus, with Grace taking over the Battle Frontier and using it as a weapon, similar to Sharon Apple's big coming-out party. SMS having to stop one of their own fellow "good guys" would make for good space drama, especially in the context of them learning to communicate with/command Vajra units via Ranka's singing.

Remember how I said that bringing Battle 25 into the fray would be a perfect opportunity to illustrate, in dramatic fashion, the differences between Quarter and a full sized New Macross battleship?

To paraphrase Brock Samson, "That's how it's done!"

(Someone mentioned that we'd need to see how Battle Frontier's cannon works against a capital ship, rewatch the firing sequence, you see at least one of the motherships disintegrating in the blast.)

I can also see why they put off the new intro by an episode.

Great episode. Yet again, can't wait until next week.

You meant "among Macross World fandom", right?

Do you think 7 is universally loved outside of Macross World or something? And yes it was very popular in Japan but it did that by bringing in a new generation of fans. It's not like it's tv ratings ever compared to the original Macross.. and IIRC this didn't air after midnight like Frontier.

The firebomber music will be remembered better than the actual show itself.